PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new computer

--ss--
19-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I was in need off an new comp and had finally enough saved, paid a little visit to PC World and came back with an Packard Bell IMEDIA X2415 with an 20" screen for just under £700 including Office Student and Norton.

The specs are :
- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 @ 2.40GHZ 2.40GHZ
- 32-Bit Windows Vista Premium SP1
- 3GB DDR2 RAM
- 500GB Hard drive
- nVida GeForce 7050 / nforce 610i (1407mb)

I've finished sorting everything out, just gotta get another Eternet cable to hook it up to my modem with and I should be done.

Thinking about it now, I do think I paid a little too much , especially for the software. Was it worth it or have I been ripped off?

Btw, Vista sucks.

N!ck
19-07-2008, 06:38 PM
It's an ok price for somewhere like PC World, considering a 20" monitor as well. With a custom build, however, you probably could have got 4GB RAM and a decent graphics card as well for a similar price (not including that software).

Recursion
19-07-2008, 06:38 PM
It was an ok deal seeing as you got Office out of it as well, Vista doesn't suck :)

e5
19-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't want to pay £700 tbh but I find vista very good ;)

--ss--
19-07-2008, 06:46 PM
It was an ok deal seeing as you got Office out of it as well, Vista doesn't suck :)
It isn't exactly rubbish but it's too different to XP and quite fiddly and annoying to use.

The screen is far too big for me , it's starting to strain my eyes and everything looks tiny, If I try to lower the resolution it all messes up :'(

The actual computers are quite cheap but it's all the software which makes the prices insanely high :(

Quad Core ftw.

e5
19-07-2008, 06:48 PM
lol. you'll get used to it, i'm sure :P

Decode
19-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I like vista :) The only annoying thing is that popup that comes up saying "Continue" every time you try to do something.

Recursion
19-07-2008, 08:07 PM
You can turn that off you know... But its actually very usefull :P

--ss--
19-07-2008, 08:24 PM
You can turn that off you know... But its actually very usefull :P
Indeed, least this was you know exactly what is happening making it more secure :).

The task bar is tiny :(
http://uploadpicz.com/images/SW6244B.png
Edit: It's actually much smaller than that on the actual screen :o

Recursion
19-07-2008, 08:36 PM
right click > unlock > then drag it up another line?

Ewww, why Google sidebar when Windows is better?!

Wootzeh
19-07-2008, 08:38 PM
need a better graphics card.

--ss--
19-07-2008, 08:43 PM
right click > unlock > then drag it up another line?

Ewww, why Google sidebar when Windows is better?!
Dunno how to change it :(

GommeInc
19-07-2008, 08:43 PM
It isn't exactly rubbish but it's too different to XP and quite fiddly and annoying to use.

The screen is far too big for me , it's starting to strain my eyes and everything looks tiny, If I try to lower the resolution it all messes up :'(

The actual computers are quite cheap but it's all the software which makes the prices insanely high :(

Quad Core ftw.
You're the first person I've seen who's said Vista is too different to XP :P The usual reason is it's too similar :P It's inbetween similar and different in my opinion, it works better than XP either way, you'll get used to it :)

--ss--
20-07-2008, 12:22 PM
You're the first person I've seen who's said Vista is too different to XP :P The usual reason is it's too similar :P It's inbetween similar and different in my opinion, it works better than XP either way, you'll get used to it :)
Well they are actually quite similar but they've changed all the small details and things which makes it extremely annoying, I see they've removed Power DVD player and replaced it with WMP >.<
It's actually quite good but it's still annoying.

DJDan93
20-07-2008, 12:29 PM
they had the exact same one down at my local PC world and it was 554.99 on special offer. I was going to get it then i decided to go to comet and get a HP one.

--ss--
21-07-2008, 03:20 PM
they had the exact same one down at my local PC world and it was 554.99 on special offer. I was going to get it then i decided to go to comet and get a HP one.
The PCworld staff are sly, they tried to say that it was an one time offer which you can't get in any other pcworld/comet/currys store :rolleyes:
The actual computer is cheap but the software adds quite abit to the final price , the MS student package costs £100 (and that's not even the full package) , Norton costs £30 (Which is quite cheap and it gives you 3 licences for 3 comps so it's quite an good offer) aswell as insurance for the first few months just incase anything happens.

I got told that Windows Vista automatically checks every one off the MS packages installed to see if they're legit and if they're not it will void your warrently and stop working correctly. Doubt it's true as you probably could get around it all but it's better to be safe and legal than blow a ton on money.

hiyababes
21-07-2008, 04:18 PM
you got ripped off for that

lol

but i think now you got it you keep it

mr.parasols
21-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I thought to use more than 2gb of ram you requried 64-bit version of vista? If I'm right you have an unused gb of ram on your pc? Might just be me though.

N!ck
21-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I thought to use more than 2gb of ram you requried 64-bit version of vista? If I'm right you have an unused gb of ram on your pc? Might just be me though.

He has 3GB RAM, it's fine.

Recursion
21-07-2008, 05:21 PM

you need 64-Bit if you have 4GB+ total (inc. video card mem).

Vista doesn't check for legitimacy, its PC World wanting you to spend money at their store, I've been using Office 2007 for long enough.

Roosteria
21-07-2008, 06:02 PM
I was in need off an new comp and had finally enough saved, paid a little visit to PC World and came back with an Packard Bell IMEDIA X2415 with an 20" screen for just under £700 including Office Student and Norton.

The specs are :
- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 @ 2.40GHZ 2.40GHZ
- 32-Bit Windows Vista Premium SP1
- 3GB DDR2 RAM
- 500GB Hard drive
- nVida GeForce 7050 / nforce 610i (1407mb)

I've finished sorting everything out, just gotta get another Eternet cable to hook it up to my modem with and I should be done.

Thinking about it now, I do think I paid a little too much , especially for the software. Was it worth it or have I been ripped off?

Btw, Vista sucks.

I have the 2414. 320gb HDD.
They're pretty decent.

I paid £360 (Discount, no monitor) for mine.

--ss--
21-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Seeing as I haven't opened the software yet (Still in their original packaging) will I be able to return it for a refund?
The speech about cracks and vista automatically checking he gave me did actually sound legit, would off thought Microsoft would actually create something like that for new software eitherway :rolleyes:

Recursion
21-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Well, I have ran Office 2007 Enterprise on a legit Vista for a long time with a bad key and its fine?

Funny thing is, we paid the county for an Office 2007 license, yet they gave us Office 2003 as 2007 "is still buggy" stupid *** holes, so technically its legit hehe

GommeInc
21-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Well they are actually quite similar but they've changed all the small details and things which makes it extremely annoying, I see they've removed Power DVD player and replaced it with WMP >.<
PowerDVD came with mine, it's from a company called CyberLink that seem to put it on some computers. Plus WMP and WMC are lovely, you've just got too high a standards :P

Havoline
21-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Woo, I remember when your computer was to slow to run runescape and habbo at the same time :p.

Recursion
22-07-2008, 07:17 AM

PowerDVD only came on OEM computers, such as Dell computers, and then they still had WMP. WMP is like iTunes on a Mac, its the built in media player of the operating system. Not all OEMs put PowerDVD on it.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for anything other than WMP, WMP is fast, "light" and has all the features I need. I guess I like it as its got everything I need and its built right into the OS. I only installed iTunes because I can't get music, videos, photos or apps onto my iPod without it.

--ss--
22-07-2008, 03:08 PM
PowerDVD came with mine, it's from a company called CyberLink that seem to put it on some computers. Plus WMP and WMC are lovely, you've just got too high a standards :P
PowerDVD is cool though :(

Woo, I remember when your computer was to slow to run runescape and habbo at the same time :p.
On my old computer I couldn't even run Habbo by itself , let alone both :'(

PowerDVD only came on OEM computers, such as Dell computers, and then they still had WMP. WMP is like iTunes on a Mac, its the built in media player of the operating system. Not all OEMs put PowerDVD on it.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for anything other than WMP, WMP is fast, "light" and has all the features I need. I guess I like it as its got everything I need and its built right into the OS. I only installed iTunes because I can't get music, videos, photos or apps onto my iPod without it.
WMP is great but it's good to have an variety off programs just incase one off them goes wrong.

This comp is actually much faster than I thought it would be, downloads and installation process only take a matter off seconds whereas on this one it would have taken several minutes :D

I've actually grown to like Vista now, I love the new folder Icons , it's a shame I can't find any decent backgrounds that will fit my screen perfectly other than the default ones :( (The vista bars rock though!)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!