PDA

View Full Version : [MAD] Badge System

---MAD---
22-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey there :),

Missalice suggested something very interesting. Rewarding members for good deeds around the forum (such as making suggestions that we implement or constantly report bugs).

What are your thoughts on installing a badge system on Habbox forum?

Vote in the poll above ;).

Thanks

myke
22-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I think it makes the place look "tacky".

However, they should be rewarded, in another way.

shizzle
22-07-2008, 08:13 PM
That would be a good idea, it would be tacky as Syrup said because it would ruin the postbits. They could be awarded with award VIP or reputation.

Mr.Sam
22-07-2008, 08:15 PM
It is a good idea, but don't use badges they look horrible and tacky, maybe some other reward? like vip.

Zehro
I think it would be a good idea, however there should only be a few badges which can be rewarded, therefore people won't go over the top to get them. This will also keep the forum tidy and neat which is ultimately a good thing.

Or instead of badges, VIP can be rewarded for great contribution to the forum?

Kardan
Hasn't it been declined before due to 'security threats' and Habbox not wanting to add any more add-ons...?

--ss--
22-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Eww, badges are just tacky, pointless and extremely overused.
Also badges will just result in everyone competing for them.
By a reward I think she meant something like VIP , alternately the reward could be entry into the prize winner's group which is an sort of substitute VIP. (Seeing as it was introduced almost 3 years ago and yet no one has ever been rewarded with it).

Plank
22-07-2008, 08:18 PM
I think it's a good idea but keep them on profiles rather than post-bit. I also think they should expire after a certain amount of time.

Neversoft
22-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Whats a badge system? How would it reward users?

Andys
22-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I hate forums that use badge systems.
They really do suck so I voted against.

myke
22-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Whats a badge system? How would it reward users?

When you do something good, the admin awards you with a badge, usually 50x50 which appears under your avatar, usually relating to what you done.

Slowpoke
22-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Badges look tacky in my opinion but I suppose it's a good idea. :)

Janczyk
22-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Unless implemented brilliantly and designed excellently they look tacky.

Neversoft
22-07-2008, 08:35 PM
When you do something good, the admin awards you with a badge, usually 50x50 which appears under your avatar, usually relating to what you done.

Thanks. I can't see many people wanting to be rewarded with badges, so I'll vote no.

c[__]
22-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I like these ones;
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=925992&postcount=3

--ss--
22-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks. I can't see many people wanting to be rewarded with badges, so I'll vote no.
I wouldn't mind a Blue Peter badge :o

Nereo
22-07-2008, 08:42 PM
I HAVE AN IDEA

Instead of badges as a reward for doing good deeds, there should be an extra special VIP colour that isnt sold and can only be earned. :D

Although if you did do badges they shouldnt be in the postbit but could be put on peoples profiles, that would work, although then people wouldnt really see them, so nah dont do badges just a special VIP! :)

--ss--
22-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I HAVE AN IDEA

Instead of badges for doing good deeds, there should be an extra special VIP colour that isnt sold and can only be earned. :D
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=240383 ;).

iJoe
22-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Yea, make a new group for people to help new members and give them badges relating to how many new members they have helped!

Depends how good the badges are :)

Yoshimitsui
22-07-2008, 08:45 PM
They look cheap and messy. No thanks!

Nereo
22-07-2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=240383 ;).

I have never seen that around? :S

Or am I being stupid? :P

--ss--
22-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I have never seen that around? :S

Or am I being stupid? :P
It's because even though it got introduced it was never implemented correctly , no matter how many times they were reminded about it ;).
The features off the group are now a little bit out of date so they need to be increased to keep up.

Nereo
22-07-2008, 08:51 PM
It's because even though it got introduced it was never implemented correctly , no matter how many times they were reminded about it ;).
The features off the group are now a little bit out of date so they need to be increased to keep up.

Well in that case they should bring it back and encourage it to be used more often, I reckon that would be better than badges :)

Hazza
22-07-2008, 08:52 PM
They should bring that back - except change the colour to Gold like anniversary VIP.

Meanies
22-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Badge systems look tacky, I agree with other people on the VIP idea.

Spiffing
22-07-2008, 08:57 PM
By a reward I think she meant something like VIP , alternately the reward could be entry into the prize winner's group which is an sort of substitute VIP. (Seeing as it was introduced almost 3 years ago and yet no one has ever been rewarded with it).

Aww i was going to say that :(

Yeah i think badges make the forum look cheap and everyone will be like, "omg i have more badges than you, im wayyy better!" :L

Nereo
22-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Aww i was going to say that :(

Yeah i think badges make the forum look cheap and everyone will be like, "omg i have more badges than you, im wayyy better!" :L

If people think they are way better than you wouldnt that encourage you to earn more badges? :P

Hmm... I have posted too many times in this thread now lol.

Coldplay
22-07-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I suggest the VIP idea a few weeks ago? I told Alex and he told you.

My idea was;

Every month, the moderators of the category will discuss the member they think has contributed the most, they will come to an agreement, and then tell Alex/Mad or whoever.

That member will be given a special vip, called "Moderators Choice" VIP or something similar, for ONE MONTH ONLY. There would only be 11 people with this VIP at any one time, and it would obviously be a different color, with more features than ordinary VIP/VVIP. Kinda like a VVVIP.

Nice to know you listen ;)

GommeInc
22-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm against it, they're tacky and it's extra work for whoever on Habbox which isn't a good idea. Throwing more work at people is a big no no.

Slowpoke
22-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm against it, they're tacky and it's extra work for whoever on Habbox which aren't very good with extra work at the moment e.g. Contact Us.

Contact us won't be around for much longer. The new support system will be up and running as soon as the last few problems are sorted. :)

bo$$
22-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm for something similiar..
just dno what. :)
I wouldn't mind badges though, as long as they are presented in a good way.

Monkwrestler
22-07-2008, 10:56 PM
TBH I would agree as long as it is not abused to the extent of there being 5 billion badges displayed on the page but maybe only display one badge in post at most then for all the rest just keep them on user page for the badges owned and maybe have them as userbars?

mat64
22-07-2008, 11:35 PM
If done correctly this would work well. Obviously don't include the awards in postbits as that's not nessercery. The problem with award systems is that admins go over the top with it and when everyone ends up with an award this system starts to lose it's point. Although I'm all for the alternatives I don't think giving members VIP or reputation would make the recognised for their deeds, which is the aim of this system - No to mention it would go against the reputation system changes made.

MissAlice
23-07-2008, 02:12 AM

I did :) Badges didn't even enter my head. I abstained from voting, because in all honesty I'm not keen on most of the badges I've seen on other forums.

I like these ones;
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=925992&postcount=3

They're not bad at all.

TBH I would agree as long as it is not abused to the extent of there being 5 billion badges displayed on the page but maybe only display one badge in post at most then for all the rest just keep them on user page for the badges owned and maybe have them as userbars?

A userbar is much better than a badge in my opinion, it's more in keeping with the forum. I hope there is a limit though as to how many you can have, more than two or three might look hideous.

I also would like to mention, that as a reward to those members who manage to get their alts in the 'Elites Forums' a userbar that reads 'Elite Artist' might be a nice gesture and may encourage others to follow.

Fehm
23-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I suggested this like when i joined ^^ and therefore i think its a good idea. lol

Blinger1
23-07-2008, 10:59 AM
I should instantly get one, i suggested the single best BBcode ever, spoiler tags

today
23-07-2008, 11:03 AM
No its tacky.

AND WAHEYYY UNCAUTIONED BABES.

Hiro
23-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Not too bothered. I abstained.

CHA!NGANG
23-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm not too keen on badges, as to be honest I think they only work on smaller forums, and only work with very good graphics. I think it would just look HxF look tacky.

I'm pretty sure I suggest the VIP idea a few weeks ago? I told Alex and he told you.

My idea was;

Every month, the moderators of the category will discuss the member they think has contributed the most, they will come to an agreement, and then tell Alex/Mad or whoever.

That member will be given a special vip, called "Moderators Choice" VIP or something similar, for ONE MONTH ONLY. There would only be 11 people with this VIP at any one time, and it would obviously be a different color, with more features than ordinary VIP/VVIP. Kinda like a VVVIP.

Nice to know you listen ;)

I don't think that's a good idea either because the MOD could be biased. Also, I don't see why MOD's should get to award V.I.P (Well Pick, but same thing), to people and other staff can't. It just promotes the idea that MODs are above other staff, which they shouldn't be. In my opinion, only Department managers and above should be able to do that.

-Xiangu-
23-07-2008, 03:26 PM
no....

Orangeesh
23-07-2008, 04:14 PM
No, simply as we dont need it.

You can reward users with VIP or a special VIP usegroup for this.
Adding the badges system is just going to make the forum look messy and tacky.

Mr.OSH
24-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I think this is a nice idea. Members that continually help Habbox or do something especially helpful deserve some sort of reward or something on their account to show that their efforts have been appreciated and noticed. :) I'm certainly all for this however I think that badges should only be given out to certain members who really deserve them and not given out excessively as that would cause the system to become pointless if everyone could get a badge quite easily - it needs to be something to show that people have done something especially great and not allow it to just become some sort of gimmick. I think it is important to make sure that they are distributed correctly and consideration is put into who deserves one.

no waiii
24-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Other ways like special privallages or rep points or something not badges

Markeh
24-07-2008, 02:52 PM
I think this is a nice idea. Members that continually help Habbox or do something especially helpful deserve some sort of reward or something on their account to show that their efforts have been appreciated and noticed. :) I'm certainly all for this however I think that badges should only be given out to certain members who really deserve them and not given out excessively as that would cause the system to become pointless if everyone could get a badge quite easily - it needs to be something to show that people have done something especially great and not allow it to just become some sort of gimmick. I think it is important to make sure that they are distributed correctly and consideration is put into who deserves one.
Agreed. Badges are a good idea. I think the reason people are saying give us VIP is cos they cannot be bothered to buy it! No offence ment if not the reason why. I think badges help the newbies too. They wont understand the VIP system too well

--ss--
24-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Agreed. Badges are a good idea. I think the reason people are saying give us VIP is cos they cannot be bothered to buy it! No offence ment if not the reason why. I think badges help the newbies too. They wont understand the VIP system too well
No, we want a custom usercolour not just free ordinary vip.

Mr.OSH
24-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Other ways like special privallages or rep points or something not badges

Yes but reputation points don't show you've done something specifically good for Habbox and can't tell people what it is that you've done. Badges make it more clear how someone has helped and mean that it rewards members and they don't forget that we appreciate what they have done. A few reputation points added will soon be forgotten but a badge will always be there to remind the member that they helped out and we were very happy with the effort showed by them. I'm not sure if reputation points could be awarded as well for someone when they get a badge? I suppose it depends entirely on the nature of what they have done to deserve the badge.

e5
24-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Would love it thx

brandon
24-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Please, no! Reward in other ways by all means but not with tacky badges ;)

MissAlice
24-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes but reputation points don't show you've done something specifically good for Habbox and can't tell people what it is that you've done. Badges make it more clear how someone has helped and mean that it rewards members and they don't forget that we appreciate what they have done. A few reputation points added will soon be forgotten but a badge will always be there to remind the member that they helped out and we were very happy with the effort showed by them. I'm not sure if reputation points could be awarded as well for someone when they get a badge? I suppose it depends entirely on the nature of what they have done to deserve the badge.

Yeah I agree with you re the reputation points, which is why I never suggested it, it would be a hidden thanks if anything, and an unseen award/reward. The only reason I suggested VIP was because it's currently the only thing I could see that could be used instantly. I'm still not convinced badges are the answer, just look at the feedback here, good idea to reward and many saying badges are tacky, however I do think a single userbar might be more in keeping with the forum. Would be very interesting to see what type of badge would be used before I can really comment, as I wouldn't like to see Habbox go down the same road as Habbo, with badges and badges which in the end become meaningless.

Orangeesh
24-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I think there should be some way of rewarding the people who contribute alot and do good deeds.

A special VIP usergroup maybe.. a special colour to show that there VIP is from doing something good + the features. Badges are something to show off yes but everntually you get loads of people having them over time whereas VIP will run out after a month =]

Jordy
24-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Please, no! Reward in other ways by all means but not with tacky badges ;)I agree, I think there needs to be more recognition and there needs to be a suitable system for it, badges are just disgusting and far too big.

Someone briefly mentioned 'Userbars', what about under people's User Title where it displays something like this or the stars:
http://www.habboxforum.com/images/ranks/vip/blackvip.gif
http://www.habboxforum.com/images/ranks/siteman5zl.gif
http://www.habboxforum.com/images/ranks/supermod.gif
http://www.habboxforum.com/images/promotion/2gold.gif

Couldn't there be some sort of fitting userbar under there as a reward badge, about the size of the one's above and it remains under them? And they'd work like a badge system but not as ugly, not badges and if you limit the amount of unique userbars to about 5 it could work.

Edit: here's the idea to put under the current bars/stars - I'm crap at graphics but it's just to demo the idea :P
http://jewbear.net/img/1216920084631.png

JackBuddy
24-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I agree, I think there needs to be more recognition and there needs to be a suitable system for it, badges are just disgusting and far too big.

Someone briefly mentioned 'Userbars', what about under people's User Title where it displays something like this or the stars:

Couldn't there be some sort of fitting userbar under there as a reward badge, about the size of the one's above and it remains under them? And they'd work like a badge system but not as ugly, not badges and if you limit the amount of unique userbars to about 5 it could work.

Edit: here's the idea to put under the current bars/stars - I'm crap at graphics but it's just to demo the idea :P
Surely, the whole point of these badges is to reward and encourage good behaviour. I don't think badges or userbars would really make people want to act in this way. I think VIP is the best option, as it actually has a value.

Neil
25-07-2008, 02:02 AM
I think badges would be fine, maybe just have a link to view badges instead of having them in the post display, I like the idea of getting something from contributing as it will encourage people to submit there ideas more but it wont be very nice to look at, it's only really good if people care about them xD

Paulio
25-07-2008, 09:45 AM
It's a good idea. I think the badges should only be viewble in people's profile though as it looks tacky when there on the post bit.

Pyroka
25-07-2008, 11:25 AM
EW Not badges :'(

They look right nasty, uh I think a star sort of system which relates to a level of contribution would be good, or as jordy suggested, like the Habbox VIP bar would be ok.

luce
25-07-2008, 12:16 PM
i think it would be good to have a badge systom but you would have to change the hole style of the forum to acomadate these badges becuase the way the forum is layed out it would make it look tacky! ;)

but maybe also reward people in diffrent ways aswell :)

Also the start systom is a good idea :)

MissAlice
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Surely, the whole point of these badges is to reward and encourage good behaviour. I don't think badges or userbars would really make people want to act in this way. I think VIP is the best option, as it actually has a value.

When I suggested my idea for reward, it wasn't to encourage good behaviour, it was genuinely to reward members who have contributed with ideas etc. that have been used by Habbox, as a way of thanks. I really like the userbar idea, even though I did originally suggest VIP. VIP if it were given, would only be for a short period of time, and wouldn't be visibly seen as a reward, a userbar saying for example 'Contributor' would ;). For me, it's about Habbox giving something back to members as a way of thanks :)

Meanies
01-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I agree, I think there needs to be more recognition and there needs to be a suitable system for it, badges are just disgusting and far too big.

Thats a good idea. They could be put in a usergroup which has some VIP perms, like custom usertitle and rep points. And 3 people could get it each month or something

jackass
01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I think its an excellent idea, but make it so it's on the posts like this;

Awards/Badges: 6

(It will be on the side, where your location etc. is!)
And that number links to the person profile showing the list of awards.

IceNineKills
01-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Only reason why I joined HxF was because there was no badges.

H0BJ0B
01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Please no! I hate Badge Systems so much. They're stupid and don't give anyone the sense of pride. They're tacky as many have said and eurgh, yeh.

Nick.
03-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Useless and, as someone already said, tacky.

The iPhone/iPod/PDA skin would have more use, much more.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!