PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise for you techies

Purple
24-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Hello(again),

I have an iPod touch. I was told "Why don't you have more apps on your ipod" and I looked at him with a blank stare. I remember reading about being able to add apps, but I don't exactly have "money".

Is there any suggestions/guidance you can give me? I know jailbreaking was possible, is that still the way to go? How is it done? Where do I get apps?

Thanks! +Rep to all :)

xxMATTGxx
24-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Hello(again),

I have an iPod touch. I was told "Why don't you have more apps on your ipod" and I looked at him with a blank stare. I remember reading about being able to add apps, but I don't exactly have "money".

Is there any suggestions/guidance you can give me? I know jailbreaking was possible, is that still the way to go? How is it done? Where do I get apps?

Thanks! +Rep to all :)

There is some applications which are free from the AppStore if you have firmware 2.0. You can jailbreak it where you also get the Installer and download many other different applications without paying a cost. If your running on windows or mac, I suggest using ziPhone, but I'm not sure if they support 2.0? Someone could correct me here. If so please do!

Purple
24-07-2008, 05:55 AM
There is some applications which are free from the AppStore if you have firmware 2.0. You can jailbreak it where you also get the Installer and download many other different applications without paying a cost. If your running on windows or mac, I suggest using ziPhone, but I'm not sure if they support 2.0? Someone could correct me here. If so please do!

I don't have 2.0, what do I have to do/(probably pay?) to get it? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Recursion
24-07-2008, 07:21 AM
If you cannot pay, then stick to jailbreaking, but this week a Windows jailbreaker for 2.0 will be released, if you buy firmware 2.0 from iTunes, install it, then follow the many guides on the internet on how to jailbreak 2.0 and just sit tight and wait for applications to start trickeling into the Installer and free ones coming into App Store you'd be all set.

I just came from 1.1.4 jailbroken, upgraded to 2.0, bought 2 games (total of £7) and then jailbroke my iPod, I now have Cydia (like Installer) which will allow me to start installing jailbroken apps as they are ported to 2.0

Purple
24-07-2008, 11:00 AM
If you cannot pay, then stick to jailbreaking, but this week a Windows jailbreaker for 2.0 will be released, if you buy firmware 2.0 from iTunes, install it, then follow the many guides on the internet on how to jailbreak 2.0 and just sit tight and wait for applications to start trickeling into the Installer and free ones coming into App Store you'd be all set.

I just came from 1.1.4 jailbroken, upgraded to 2.0, bought 2 games (total of £7) and then jailbroke my iPod, I now have Cydia (like Installer) which will allow me to start installing jailbroken apps as they are ported to 2.0

Okay. So it's different jailbreaking different versions? And Firmware 2.0 costs to upgrade? (Yuck, should be free). Is there a mixture of free and non-apple-endorsed apps you use personally?

Thanks for the help!

Jericho
24-07-2008, 03:20 PM
The 2.0 firmware costs £6.99. The reason you have to pay is because the iPod touch does not use a subscription base, unlike the iPhone where you have to pay your mobile network/carrier.

I would suggest 2.0 over Jail-breaking. The apps are better, although they dont come in bigger amounts, they add about 5 new apps a day and a lot of updates, but more will come in due course. Jail-breaking does have its advantages, but you run the risk of damaging your iPod and Voiding its warrenty, although many do say 'Oh, jail-breaking is fine, the worst you have to do is restore it'. I have a friend who bricked his iPod trying to jailbreak so.. believe who you want :)

A lot of apps are free, but the real good ones cost money. Super Monkey Ball and Sketches are 2 of my personal favorites.

Well, non of the apps are really 'endorsed' by Apple. Apple only provide hosting, advertisement, payment methods and distribution. Apple have a few of they're own apps out, but other developers place they're apps on the app store as, thats the only place to get Apps. From small developers to big companies (Sega, Facebook, MySpace, EA), there is a lot of great stuff.
Good look on whatever choice you make.

Purple
24-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Thank you for your help. Anyone who else who has an ipod and can offer an opinion it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!