PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god

Andys
24-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I was minding my own buisness playing on cod4 on my 360 and i hear my pc turn off so im like *** lookin at the monitor and i look down at the case and LOADS of white smoke was coming from the case and now it wont start up :|

HELP!?

Recursion
24-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Blown capacitor, youll need a new mobo.

Janczyk
24-07-2008, 04:18 PM
You've fried your Mother!

darkchicken101
24-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Make sure you open a window - if it was a blown capacitor, that smoke is partly toxic.

Andys
24-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Make sure you open a window - if it was a blown capacitor, that smoke is partly toxic.
I did. It stunk :l

Technologic
24-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Blown capacitors are nasty :l.

Is it an oem?

Andys
24-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Blown capacitors are nasty :l.

Is it an oem?
No idea what an oem is.

N!ck
24-07-2008, 07:58 PM
No idea what an oem is.

Original Equipment Manufacturer. So basically, HP, Compaq, Dell etc...

jam666
24-07-2008, 08:34 PM
you have Blown capacitors / your PSU (Power Supply Unit) just blew up.

i hope it hasnt fried the whole of your system (graphics card / mobo / processor / ram because if it has, sorry mate youll need a new computer.....

BUT if its just your Mobo / PSU youll be able to replace them for around £100 (Top Quality Parts)

Andys
24-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Original Equipment Manufacturer. So basically, HP, Compaq, Dell etc...
My motherboard?
It's an ELITEGROUP nVidia6M-A

also hopefuly it will get replaced under warranty?

Stephen!
24-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Hang on.. do you even know if it was your motherboard or PSU?

Andys
24-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Hang on.. do you even know if it was your motherboard or PSU?
No, I don't.

alexxxxx
24-07-2008, 10:22 PM
if its under warranty, take it back.

Stephen!
24-07-2008, 10:23 PM
If you can't see any blown capacitors on the motherboard, then it's the PSU. 90% i think it's going to be the PSU that failed. Now depending whether you had a cheap PSU or a quality one, it may have taken the rest of the system with you. When cheap PSU's blow, usually EVERYTHING is overloaded in the system and not just one specific component.

Just hope and pray.

Andys
24-07-2008, 10:23 PM
;4939469']if its under warranty, take it back.
It all is, last time they replaced my graphics card anyway so I'm assuming it aLL IS :)

Stephen!
24-07-2008, 10:24 PM
It all is, last time they replaced my graphics card anyway so I'm assuming it aLL IS :)

Oh well that's alright then i suppose.. as long as you didn't have any important data on the hard drive(s)

Andys
24-07-2008, 10:26 PM
If you can't see any blown capacitors on the motherboard, then it's the PSU. 90% i think it's going to be the PSU that failed. Now depending whether you had a cheap PSU or a quality one, it may have taken the rest of the system with you. When cheap PSU's blow, usually EVERYTHING is overloaded in the system and not just one specific component.

Just hope and pray.

Oh well that's alright then i suppose.. as long as you didn't have any important data on the hard drive(s)
Bourght an external not long ago :)

btw i've looked on the motherboard and nothing looks wrong.

jam666
24-07-2008, 10:53 PM
can i ask where you bought your computer from? as if it was from PC World.... good lucky trying to get a refund...

Andys
24-07-2008, 11:06 PM
can i ask where you bought your computer from? as if it was from PC World.... good lucky trying to get a refund...
a local pc shop, i know they will replace stuff as they did with my graphics card.
i took in my 690 case and they were amazed they were like "WOAH NICE CASE DUDE!!!" and they forgot to charge me for the queue jump service rofl

jam666
24-07-2008, 11:12 PM
ah ok, mind doing me a favour? take the side of your computer off and look at your power supply unit, mind reading the label on the side of it stating the vottage and make / model?

as this will help us tell if its definately your PSU thats blew up.

Stephen!
25-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Well, i don't think they would have sold him a pre-built computer without an adequite power supply, so i don't think it could have been overloaded.

Sometimes these things just happen

Recursion
25-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Just search the motherboard for burnt areas or blown capacitors, if not then it was your PSU.

Andys
25-07-2008, 08:12 PM
ah ok, mind doing me a favour? take the side of your computer off and look at your power supply unit, mind reading the label on the side of it stating the vottage and make / model?

as this will help us tell if its definately your PSU thats blew up.
The label is on the underside of the psu and my psu is at the bottom of my case.

Well, i don't think they would have sold him a pre-built computer without an adequite power supply, so i don't think it could have been overloaded.

Sometimes these things just happen
yeah but i changed cases to a one with more fans in - they thought that might have been the problem when my gpu was messed up.

Just search the motherboard for burnt areas or blown capacitors, if not then it was your PSU.
no burnt areas - it looks fine.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!