PDA

View Full Version : Insurance companies sexist?

JackBuddy
25-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Do you think that car insurance companies are sexist? For a 2002 ford fiesta, it would cost me £2300 to get insured as a boy, but if I was a girl it would cost £1100.

Should gender really make a difference? I mean, if someone imigrates to this country from somewhere such as america, where there are no roundabouts and they drive on the other side of the ride, as far as I am aware, there is no difference in insurance price for someone who has lived here all their life. If they did that, it would be classed as rasict.

Why isn't costing males thousands of pounds more for insurance classed as sexist? I know there are 'boy racers' and so on, and stats prove that boys are more likely to claim, but isn't that making generalisations and being prejudice?

Discuss.

Roboevil
25-07-2008, 05:18 PM
No, they aren't stereotyping. They make their policies from actual statistics, and it's just unfortunate that the average man is a lunatic driver.

I suppose it is wrong considering as we are forced to buy insurance one way or another. I've solved the problem by not learning to drive, and not buying a car.

alexxxxx
25-07-2008, 05:47 PM
all about bus passes.

Janczyk
25-07-2008, 06:15 PM
;4942053']all about bus passes.
Take your girl for a spin on a First Mainline bus ;)

Fehm
25-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Lol Arshavin

:p and tbh, I like buses, you dont have to worry about them reversing into parked cars (DAD!) lmao, and ever since that day,. ihate to be in the car when its reversing!!
lolz
Hmm.. on topic: I dno, and im 15 i shundt rerli care ^^

tdi
25-07-2008, 10:30 PM
how can you actually like buses? They're slow, overpriced, dirty, smelly, long, full of chavs most of the time and it sucks not being in control. You also don't have control over the music (unless you've got an ipod or something) and you can't take shortcuts.

Also America has roundabouts afaik.

Before I could drive I used to always take the bus into town, now I just use my car and it's much faster/better/cheaper

Florx
25-07-2008, 10:44 PM
how can you actually like buses? They're slow, overpriced, dirty, smelly, long, full of chavs most of the time and it sucks not being in control. You also don't have control over the music (unless you've got an ipod or something) and you can't take shortcuts.

Also America has roundabouts afaik.

Before I could drive I used to always take the bus into town, now I just use my car and it's much faster/better/cheaper
Did you just say a car is cheaper?

RedStratocas
25-07-2008, 11:22 PM
I know there are 'boy racers' and so on, and stats prove that boys are more likely to claim, but isn't that making generalisations and being prejudice?

no. the fact that the stats back it up make it not a generalisation and not prejudice.

Mr.Sam
25-07-2008, 11:26 PM
add two female family members to the insurance and it'll go down ;)

my brother added my mum and his girlfriend as designated drives and it went down a few hundred pounds.

Metric1
26-07-2008, 02:51 AM
$4600 to insure you one ONE car! My insurance is $3900 to insure me on 3 cars, a 2003 Honda Accord, 2002 BMW 745i and a 2006 Lexus GS300 AWD.

Adam!
26-07-2008, 05:06 AM
It's bloody silly.

My mate has exactly the same moped as me, same insurance company, same age but hers is £100 cheaper.. I wonder why :|

CadalacDon
26-07-2008, 06:48 AM
I dont get it, females to me get distracted more than males. I mean most drive wile putting on makeup/ looking at them selfs in the mirrior/ talking on the phone (I know males do it too but 8 times out of 10 accidents by cell phones are by female drivers) ect ect. Sure we have boy racers but its worse over here in america than you can imagine.

N-Dubz
26-07-2008, 01:50 PM
bus's are cheaper.. one day travel card mate :rolleyes:

and lmaooooooooooooooo cars are no where near as cheap as a bus is

awelsh
26-07-2008, 10:00 PM
buses smell though and their boiling hot. or like ths bus i was on this morning i had 2 annyoying girls who wouldnt stop talking. it was half 9 in the morning gimme a rest.

is pretty sexist though, there are a few girl racers too so its not just us :(

Meanies
27-07-2008, 09:53 AM
It is unfair but if they didn't do it the insurance companies would lose a fair bit. Blame the new drivers who can't drive.

MissAlice
27-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I do think it's unfair to assume every male is a boy racer, we all know that's not true, but if statistics obviously prove males are more of a risk than females, then what are insurance companies to do? Maybe all young drivers should be restricted on engine size!

GommeInc
27-07-2008, 11:26 AM
It is in the long run. To drive from here to town, it'll cost me way under £2 in petrol. To get the bus, it'll be £4.50 and won't take me to where I want to go. I don't mind paying £5,000 or so for a car that will last a long time, with comfortable seats, music, air-con and good on the pocket to run, than a bus :P

Anyway, to the subject at hand. I'm not too fussed, although it is rude to assume all girls are safe drivers and all men are bad drivers/boy racers. I've seen aload of women do weird things like pull out for no reason and my friend's mum drives around in 5th gear quite alot (in bends and roundabouts), it's rather scary! Men take risks, women take their time :P

tdi
03-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Did you just say a car is cheaper?
Yes, see above at GommeInc's post. :P

I do think it's unfair to assume every male is a boy racer, we all know that's not true, but if statistics obviously prove males are more of a risk than females, then what are insurance companies to do? Maybe all young drivers should be restricted on engine size!
I'm a male, and I'm not a boy racer. However I don't agree on engine size restrictions mainly as I've bought a 1.9 which I love and wouldn't want to give up in a hurry.

MissAlice
03-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Yes, see above at GommeInc's post. :P

I'm a male, and I'm not a boy racer. However I don't agree on engine size restrictions mainly as I've bought a 1.9 which I love and wouldn't want to give up in a hurry.

I can understand that, I've held a full driving licence nearly 2 years now, and purely for a low insurance group, I've been driving a 1.0 engine, but do plan to change my car and will buy a car with a bigger engine, because I want more power, but I'm in no hurry. If things are going to change though, maybe it's an idea that could be considered for the future for newly qualified drivers. Because no one needs to drive a 3.0 when they first past their test, they don't need that power ;)

tdi
04-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I can understand that, I've held a full driving licence nearly 2 years now, and purely for a low insurance group, I've been driving a 1.0 engine, but do plan to change my car and will buy a car with a bigger engine, because I want more power, but I'm in no hurry. If things are going to change though, maybe it's an idea that could be considered for the future for newly qualified drivers. Because no one needs to drive a 3.0 when they first past their test, they don't need that power ;)
granted that people are over confident and think they can handle a 3ltr (thats if they're lucky enough to afford the insurance)

I've been driving since I was around 8-10-ish on private land but I'm not too overcondfident when I'm on the roads.

Misawa
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
It is down to the factual statistics that men crash more often than women, thus claim more often.

Callum.
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
cus like boy racers.

Monkwrestler
04-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Well all of the girls nearby when they see someone with a pimped out car it screams out that they are compromising for something else to them

It is down to the factual statistics that men crash more often than women, thus claim more often.
It also helps that not as many women drive as men and women tend to have alot more accidents (bumps and scrapes) but mens tend do be more serious write offs

05-08-2008, 03:43 AM
pretty mcuh becuase statisticly (spell check) its proven that boys get in more crashes than girls so insurance companys milk that to get more money from us.

Agnostic Bear
06-08-2008, 01:16 PM

They're bloody scary.

AndrewByrne
12-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I hink it is, Because of that Sheilas Wheels and Diamand (I think?) are only letting women drive, I think thats sexiest tbh...

RSTurbo
14-08-2008, 12:31 AM
becuase of boyracers like me tbh.
lol
no its becuase they think women are more careful drivers and dont crash as often.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!