PDA

View Full Version : CodeIgniter - PHP Framework

Johno
26-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey,

Does anyone have any experience with the CodeIgniter framework, I noticed people discussing it in .NET and I am interested in peoples experiences using it.

http://codeigniter.com/

Source
26-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm afraid I have no experience with any PHP Framework as I am still relatvily early in my coding skills. Reading through things though, it will only benficial if you are writing a big script - otherwise you will just have loads of code that is not utalized and pretty pointless.

However if you are writing up a big script then I presume it would work as they generally have a small footprint, but that brings back the whole point of "Why not write your own fast code".

I'm undecided about frameworks in general.

Johno
26-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey,

There are several reasons why using pre-written code is favourable; Firstly someone else's code is likely to be lightweight, secondly development time can be reduced by not rewriting what other people have already done, thirdly if the project is commercial money is saved that could be spent on other things and finally the time can be spent on working on more useful features, testing, usability etc.

Just so you know, im not flaming you - The only advantage to not using a framework is if you are trying to learn PHP (The hard way)

Its the general consensus among the semi-professional web development community. Me and my friend are talking about frameworks at the moment (whilst watching House) and I am just wondering what people think :)

However if you are writing up a big script then I presume it would work as they generally have a small footprint, but that brings back the whole point of "Why not write your own fast code".

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!