PDA

View Full Version : Depressed Dad, Dont know what to do?

Unknown-User
27-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey, kinda made a new account for this but my Dad is really depressed lately. My dad and mum divorced when I was around 4 or 5 (I think) and am now 15. He took me and my sister who's 11 now and brought us up. He sacrificed jobs and working to bring us up. He hasn't really shown his depression really (well, not that i've seen off) but he is really starting to show it now. I try my best to help him out. He gets stressed and angry very easily so I always try my best to stay patient with him and try and get along with him and not make any more stress for him, although i get stressed in the process of it, i dont show it to him. My sister on the other hand doesn't care about anyone but her friends and herself. She has just had her first year of high school and think she is all grown up and 'hangs' around with friends and me going into year 11 this year know and have seen how she is going to turn out. I try to talk to her and explain what our dad is going through but she doesn't give a damm and causes him alot of depression for doings things such as (staying out late, not calling home) he has always looked out for her and loves her to death and she gives nothing in return. He is an only child and lost touch with his father when he went into the army at around 19-20. So he only has his mum (our nan) really. He doesn't socialize often and gets down sitting around all day. The only socializing thing he really does is the gym. He trains alot and i think its what he does to take his mind of things such as money issues and such. We also have a pet dog which he walks twice a day, he says it gets him down as it 'looks' at him and always wants to go out and that he is going to have to get rid of it when he starts work again (which he's been saying for the past 4 years) Me and my sister see my mum every weekend she's doing great and has had another baby to someone else (my step brother) and she's still great and a fantastic mum. My dad has seen a couple of his friends from the army days and has seen their doing great and being wealthy and have great familys and I think this might of got him down also. He has a 'girlfriend' shall I say but she never visits or anything. He spends alot of time on the phone to her and it always ends up in a huge argument. Which if starts at around 10pm will go on for the rest of the night. She does nothing but stir things up and makes it worse for him as it is the last thing he needs. I always hear him shout "Were not talking again" or things along them lines, but always results in ringing back the next night. I go to say "Why? She just causes ****" but I dont want him to get stressed and get angry at me as this is an example of how easily stressed he becomes. I am doing great at school, I think this situation am going through has gave me fuel to work at school and make something of myself and i think its made me more mature at this time. I have a good reputation with all my teachers (Especially sport as I enjoy it) and i am glad to get along with them. I have my GCSE's this year and I fear this might drag me down after everything I have worked for. I try to get out the house as much as possible to avoid it and I do training football and gym 5 nights a week. but he's still just sitting their when i come home from school or training's. I have great friends but dont feel i can tell them just yet. No-one understands my situation and i feel i have no one to talk to, ANY replys our deeply appreciated.

Havoline
27-07-2008, 12:35 AM
www.paragraphs.com

Edited by Kaotix12 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly.

PinkLlama
28-07-2008, 06:48 PM
www.paragraphs.com (http://www.paragraphs.com)

Edited by Kaotix12 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly.
agreed. im not reading that.

AndrewByrne
28-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Sit down and tell your sister about it, She'll probely relise.

luce
28-07-2008, 10:02 PM
your sister is 11 she can't be expected to take on a hole family, she has to grow up aswell you need to remeber this!

Serious
28-07-2008, 10:04 PM
tldr, try using paragraphs, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to read.

Bun
29-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Me and my sister see my mum every weekend she's doing great and has had another baby to someone else (my step brother).

i read that the wrong way at first lol.

and erm, try and think of something your dad really enjoys and hasn't done in a long time, then try and arrange it for him :). it might make him feel a bit b etter knowing that you appreciate and care for him.

alexxxxx
29-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I think you should start helping with domestic things like maybe cooking for everyone sometimes, tidying up etc, and your dad will appreciate this and not have to do it himself all the time.

Don't confront him about it - it's only bound to make it worse.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!