PDA

View Full Version : Mac questions

Shawnstra
27-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Having my Macbook Pro for exactly a week now, I just like to ask a few questions

Should I upgrade my RAM to 4GB, is there a noticible difference?
Should I wait for Adobe Photoshop CS4? Will it be a long wait?
Is there a way to get multi touch on google earth? (pinch, rotate etc)

xxMATTGxx
27-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Having my Macbook Pro for exactly a week now, I just like to ask a few questions

Should I upgrade my RAM to 4GB, is there a noticible difference?
Should I wait for Adobe Photoshop CS4? Will it be a long wait?
Is there a way to get multi touch on google earth? (pinch, rotate etc)

Running on 1GB or 2GB? Either way upgrade it to 4GB it will give you some nice memory for applications and you will most likely see a difference.

Photoshop CS4, I seen some shots it does look good but If you need PS now get he CS3 version. It runs great on the mac.

The multi touch on google earth, im not so sure.

Shawnstra
27-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Running on 1GB or 2GB? Either way upgrade it to 4GB it will give you some nice memory for applications and you will most likely see a difference.

Photoshop CS4, I seen some shots it does look good but If you need PS now get he CS3 version. It runs great on the mac.

The multi touch on google earth, im not so sure.

Thanks a lot, I've read around and I heard there was a noticeable difference. Gotta convince my mum that I won't screw up the computer lol

Also multi touch, I hope they make a new release which supports this

CS4, I do not urgently need it I still have elements on my windows, so i'll wait

Question: What does it mean if I get PC2-5300 RAM? Does it mean that as long I buy RAM that is that, and my computer (Macbook Pro) uses that, it'll definitely fit?

If I shop for a 200 pin PC2-5300 RAM with the maximum amount of GB per slot, would it guarantee a definite match?

Thanks again.

xxMATTGxx
27-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks a lot, I've read around and I heard there was a noticeable difference. Gotta convince my mum that I won't screw up the computer lol

Also multi touch, I hope they make a new release which supports this

CS4, I do not urgently need it I still have elements on my windows, so i'll wait

Question: What does it mean if I get PC2-5300 RAM? Does it mean that as long I buy RAM that is that, and my computer (Macbook Pro) uses that, it'll definitely fit?

If I shop for a 200 pin PC2-5300 RAM with the maximum amount of GB per slot, would it guarantee a definite match?

Thanks again.

Hello again, I suggest going to http://www.crucial.com/ (I know you don't live in the US or UK) But, If you select Apple memory and choose the right model of your MacBook Pro then it will tell you information on what ram it does fit and the max ram it can have and so on. :)

Shawnstra
27-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Hello again, I suggest going to http://www.crucial.com/ (I know you don't live in the US or UK) But, If you select Apple memory and choose the right model of your MacBook Pro then it will tell you information on what ram it does fit and the max ram it can have and so on. :)

did that already, and it stated and I quote:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=MacBook%20Pro%202.4GHz%20Inte l%20Core%202%20Duo%20(15.4-inch)

Number of Slots:
Slot 1

Slot 2

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

To see the memory installed in your computer click the Scan My System button below.

I am just wondering how easy it is to buy RAM so that it is compatible, does it mean that if I get a PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM that is 2GB max, would it definitely work? Or are there different types of PC2-5300 RAM?

xxMATTGxx
27-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Basically, search for DDR2 PC2-5300 ram. I bought mine of ebay, I searched Mac Mini ram, so you could search for MacBook Pro ram or search for DDR2 PC2-5300.

Shawnstra
27-07-2008, 01:32 PM
alright thanks :)

darkchicken101
30-07-2008, 10:13 AM
It depends what you are doing, but people always seem to think that upgrading their ram from 2gb to 4gb is something that must be done, because it will give them considerable performance benefits. No single application will use that much ram, and so the only considerable benefits you would see are in multitasking.

I use CS3 (Usually have Dreamweaver, Illustrator and Photoshop open, with Photoshop using 50mb+ files) on a 2.5ghz, 2gb ram MBP and don't find it slow at all.

Still, if you have the money (and it really isn't much nowadays), you might as well buy it.

Shawnstra
30-07-2008, 11:16 AM
It depends what you are doing, but people always seem to think that upgrading their ram from 2gb to 4gb is something that must be done, because it will give them considerable performance benefits. No single application will use that much ram, and so the only considerable benefits you would see are in multitasking.

I use CS3 (Usually have Dreamweaver, Illustrator and Photoshop open, with Photoshop using 50mb+ files) on a 2.5ghz, 2gb ram MBP and don't find it slow at all.

Still, if you have the money (and it really isn't much nowadays), you might as well buy it.

Will it increase the speed (less lag etc.) of online games?

darkchicken101
30-07-2008, 01:29 PM

No, it won't. Very few games, especially online ones, will use the extra ram. Especially if you aren't running anything in the background.

Nick.
30-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, actually, it could. If they use Flash there should be some sort of difference, as flash is a memory hog on OS X.

Shawnstra
31-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Well, actually, it could. If they use Flash there should be some sort of difference, as flash is a memory hog on OS X.

ahh I'll just get it I guess my mum seems more agreeable and it isn't that expensive anyway, and if I need it in a new computer in the future I can just take it out of this and put it in the new one

Thanks to all.

Nick.
31-07-2008, 02:45 PM
ahh I'll just get it I guess my mum seems more agreeable and it isn't that expensive anyway, and if I need it in a new computer in the future I can just take it out of this and put it in the new one

Thanks to all.
If you get a Mac that is, I'm not sure it would work with a Windows PC?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!