PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a credit card?

Fishermaaan
30-07-2008, 05:58 PM
hey there, I am 15.
I have my paypal account, but ...

Say I want to buy sumat over the internet, and requires you to have paypal to pay.

Is there a credit card I can get, where I can easily put money on it, and use it with my paypal acc to buy stuff from ebay or whatever ?

Thanks =]

Callum.
30-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Debit card?

Fishermaaan
30-07-2008, 06:18 PM
just a card where i put cash on it from my pocket money, and then use it on paypal to buy stuff on ebay.

I saw the splash card but iuno bout it.

Sunny.
30-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Debit card is your best chance. Barclays dont give you an card which you can use online. They give you there own "CashCard" which I have atm.

Though my other account with Natwest gives you an Solo Debit Card which allows you to buy stuff anywhere and is useable on paypal.

Natwest
Loyds TSB
Halifax
HSBC
They all give you Debit cards useable online.

You have to get your parent to open the account for you though :)
Its worth it, i got verified on paypal within 3 days.

Pyroka
30-07-2008, 06:50 PM
You can get a debit card yeah, OH so thats how my mate had a debit card when he was 15! I had to wait till I was 16 since I was with Barclays. Debit cards are so much better since you can pay with chip & pin in shops :)

Sunny.
30-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Yh barclays r stupid, cus you can only take out money from ATM and cant pay @ chip n pin at all

PappaLou
30-07-2008, 07:48 PM
i had a splash card before my debit card

Firehorse
30-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Not a credit card but you can get a debit card from age 11 with parents permission. I got one aged 13 from Natwest and it's great, put money in, earn interest on it, take cash out whenever, use it in shops and almost anywhere on internet including paypal. Go for it. I use mine with paypal and buy stuff using paypal all the time.

FlyingJesus
30-07-2008, 09:29 PM
You don't even need a debit card to make paypal work. As long as you have a bank account that you know the details to, you can hook it up.

splatttt
30-07-2008, 10:17 PM
debit card

thats what i use

Coheed&Cambria
31-07-2008, 12:30 AM
HSBC Livecash. You can pay for things with them when your 13.

Misawa
31-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Can only get a credit card when you're 18+.

alexxxxx
31-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Debit card is your best chance. Barclays dont give you an card which you can use online. They give you there own "CashCard" which I have atm.

Though my other account with Natwest gives you an Solo Debit Card which allows you to buy stuff anywhere and is useable on paypal.

Natwest
Loyds TSB
Halifax
HSBC

You don't need a parent to do that. I don't think I was even asked for my DOB on PayPal.

And a 'Credit Card' is where you spend money that you don't have and pay it back - nothing like a debit card.

Firehorse
31-07-2008, 08:55 AM
;4959199']You don't need a parent to do that. I don't think I was even asked for my DOB on PayPal.

And a 'Credit Card' is where you spend money that you don't have and pay it back - nothing like a debit card.

Read the paypal T&Cs :P 18+ only but I use it anyway and am verified =]

Antony
31-07-2008, 09:35 AM
You cant get a credit card until your 18 and its the same if you wanted a debit card with an overdraft, 18+ unless it's a student account i think..

Tomm
31-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Barclays do give you a debit card if you get your parent's permission if you are under 16. I have a Barclays Visa Debit card atm. Also to the post above I can go overdrawn on my bank account.

Natwest
Loyds TSB
Halifax
HSBC

Fishermaaan
31-07-2008, 11:23 AM
tomoz ill be getting a debit card from Natwest, do they allow debit cards for 15 year olds?

Also, can I verify that Debit card on paypal, and use it to buy stuff?

Moh
31-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Don't go with Halifax, they check if your the right age to make payments.

Last times I linked my paypal to my bank, Halifax got my paypal account closed :'(

But you have to be 18 to get a credit card, but you can get a debit card which alows you to spent the money aslong as its in your bank.

Unless you don't mind been over drawn, buy sumin in a shop, then straight away go to a ATM and take cash out ;)
Don't do that, some banks charge even more for going overdrawn.

FlyingJesus
31-07-2008, 04:03 PM
You don't even need a debit card to make paypal work. As long as you have a bank account that you know the details to, you can hook it up.

Guess people don't read, huh :P a debit card's useful in general, but not essential if you're only wanting to use paypal

Sunny.
31-07-2008, 05:41 PM
;4959199']You don't need a parent to do that. I don't think I was even asked for my DOB on PayPal.

I didnt say you need your parents to open a Paypal account. I said you need your parents to open a Barclays Bank account.

And I said "CashCard" not Credit Card. A Cashcard is barclays own card. It has no chip on it or anything, just a 16 Digital Card number, no CVV etc.

Unless you don't mind been over drawn, buy sumin in a shop, then straight away go to a ATM and take cash out ;)
Don't do that, some banks charge even more for going overdrawn.

Unless you have a Student account which allows you to go overdrawn by around £1,500 and gives you up to 4 months to repay also with no interest and no overdrawn charge.

Metric1
31-07-2008, 08:10 PM
When I was 16 I had 4 credit cards! It wasn't a good idea at the time.

Tomm
01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Please read my post in reference to barclays.

I didnt say you need your parents to open a Paypal account. I said you need your parents to open a Barclays Bank account.

And I said "CashCard" not Credit Card. A Cashcard is barclays own card. It has no chip on it or anything, just a 16 Digital Card number, no CVV etc.

Unless you have a Student account which allows you to go overdrawn by around £1,500 and gives you up to 4 months to repay also with no interest and no overdrawn charge.

helenhiya
01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Barclays do give you a debit card if you get your parent's permission if you are under 16. I have a Barclays Visa Debit card atm. Also to the post above I can go overdrawn on my bank account.

Thats crap, it's illegal to give someone an overdraft if they're under 18.
It's essentially a loan, which you can't have until you're 18. My bank once screwed up and let me go £1 over but they had to pay it cos I was 17 at the time.

When I was 16 I had 4 credit cards! It wasn't a good idea at the time.

don't believe that either tbh.

Sunny.
01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Please read my post in reference to barclays.

I didnt quote your post?
But yeh. I was told that by them on the phone. But I cba now cus il get my new card in 4 months.

Tomm
01-08-2008, 10:41 AM
If I make a payment on my debit card that is greater than my available balance I will go overdrawn. So no, its not crap.

Thats crap, it's illegal to give someone an overdraft if they're under 18.
It's essentially a loan, which you can't have until you're 18. My bank once screwed up and let me go £1 over but they had to pay it cos I was 17 at the time.

don't believe that either tbh.

J0SH
01-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Can only get a credit card when you're 18+.

How wrong you are..

Sunny.
01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
The thing about barclays cashcard is that you can only take out £50 a day.
Unles you get your limit rised.

Id recommend Natwest

Havoline
01-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I got a solo card from natwest when i was 14 and that works on paypal

Sunny.
01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I got a solo card from natwest when i was 14 and that works on paypal
Ditto. I got my paypal verified with this.

Misawa
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
How wrong you are..

No. By law, credit cards are only attainable by persons 18 and over.

J0SH
01-08-2008, 06:26 PM
No. By law, credit cards are only attainable by persons 18 and over.

So why can 13 year olds get debit cards? :rolleyes:

You
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
because he said CREDIT cards are only attainable by persons 18 and over. :rolleyes:

Misawa
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM

A CREDIT card is completely different to a DEBIT card. A debit card is a mobile way of paying directly from your bank account, whilst credit cards give you digital credit that has to be payed back.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

xBenxx
01-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Never ever get a credit card. You're just spend spend spend and be in debt all you're life.

J0SH
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I though it was the same thing o_O don't get too wet there Misawa like when someone made that Jaws 5 thread, and I love how people really bother with -repping me, the rep system is crap you honestly think it bothers me? :rolleyes:

You
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Never ever get a credit card. You're just spend spend spend and be in debt all you're life.
Not true.

Corporal
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I though it was the same thing o_O don't get too wet there Misawa like when someone made that Jaws 5 thread, and I love how people really bother with -repping me, the rep system is crap you honestly think it bothers me? :rolleyes:
Obv it has as you brought it up.

J0SH
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Obv it has as you brought it up.

No not really I just don't see why people use the system.

colourpot
11-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Yupp You Sure Can
Im 15 Aswell
I Had Mine Last Year
Its Halfiax
Its A Debit Card Where Your Can Put Money On It
And It Was Chip And Pin So You Can Spend In Shops Aswell
Look On Halifax
Its About 4-5 Weeks To Wait For It To Come
You Need A Adult To Agree Tho :)
I Use Mine Alot And I Use Mine On The Internet Aswell..Its Brilliant.

Tomm
11-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Debt is not bad, bad debt is bad.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!