PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs Windows

Holofoil
01-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi, I was just curious about what people here use, and what they think is better. I know there is no right or wrong answer, so 'll just make a poll.

Recursion
01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
This is just asking for trouble and this thread should be locked.

Josh-H
01-08-2008, 08:40 AM
This is just going to end up as a flame war and this has been asked many times.

I agree with Tawm, close it.

Holofoil
01-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I'll close it if that happens don't worry.

Josh-H
01-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Bah...

I use a mac and prefer Mac OS X to windows.

Recursion
01-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Windows, its the most supported, most used, easiest to use and fastest to use.

Doesn't lock up all the time either.

Stephen!
01-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Indeed. This is not a bias post in any way.

But yes, every time I have used a mac it has locked up in some way or another. Windows on the other hand only does this once or twice a week.

I also hate that you have to keep typing your administrator password every time you want to do something. If you're logged on to the admin account, you should be able to do anything without it bugging you.

DrLacero
01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Windows + Common sense = Perfect

I have crashed a total of 3 times in the past year on my XP machine, one of which was a power cut :P

I'd still get a macbook though if I had the disposable income because they can play postal 2 :P

Nick.
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Windows, its the most supported, most used, easiest to use and fastest to use. In your opinion.

Doesn't lock up all the time either. My Mac has locked up once since I got it.

Indeed. This is not a bias post in any way.

But yes, every time I have used a mac it has locked up in some way or another. Windows on the other hand only does this once or twice a week.

I also hate that you have to keep typing your administrator password every time you want to do something. If you're logged on to the admin account, you should be able to do anything without it bugging you. But UAC on Windows doesn't bother you? I know you can turn it off, it's in OS X for a good reason, for security, something many Windows users don't have enough of ;)

Plux
01-08-2008, 11:22 PM
This thread will conjure arguements.

Kevin
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
use Windows and prefer Windows :;]

-Kevin

Monopoly
01-08-2008, 11:46 PM
I use Windows but I want a Mac.
Not alowed it though, as my mum wouldn't know how to use it. ;/

flatface
01-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Use Windows & prefer Windows :D

Mirkwood
02-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Linux beats them both for what I use an Operating System for.

Invent
02-08-2008, 03:31 AM
I'll close it if that happens don't worry.

Off-topic but how? o_o

Oh and I prefer Windows.

Calon
02-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Off-topic but how? o_o

Oh and I prefer Windows.
He's secret VIP!

Erm, I have so say they both have pros and cons.

Mac: Good for designing and creating music (Logic pro etc..)
Windows: Better completley, but not as good for designing and creating music.

I prefer windows though. :)

Recursion
02-08-2008, 07:27 AM
In all honesty, I cannot see how Macs are any better at designing, all the Adobe programs are on Windows too and there are MORE Video/Music editing programs on Windows than Mac.

xxMATTGxx
02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I use both systems. Mac for everyday, Windows for Flight Sim Only. I prefer the Mac, due to the OS to be honest. Its what I want and need and there is some great applications out there.

GommeInc
02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Biased and dumb post, you have to be stupid to have problems on a Windows PC ;) If you get a virus, that's your fault, not the computers. The warning you get on a Mac (and also on a PC) is to stop stupid people doing something stupid, basically :P

Mine's crashed a few times since I've had it, it's over a years old and probably only crashed 5 times, and that's because some things didn't want to work :/

I personally don't see any difference between the two, both can design and play music, but that's when the comparison stops if you want to take it to the extremes, because Vista/XP can play more games, and has more software available for music and design. So technically Windows is the better system because it has all the support, easier to solves issues (My aunty has a MacBook which deleted it's own OS) and can do what a Mac does, but 100 times more :/ I don't even see why people think a Mac is better than designing than a PC, both use Adobe Photoshop so they have the same tools. I think the only good program on a Mac is that GarageBand thing.

darkchicken101
02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I use both and prefer neither - they're both as bad as each other and could learn a lot from each other. I only use my PC for playing games (or when my Mac goes into the Apple Store for repair -.-)

Also, Adobe CS is better on the PC than it is for Mac, but hopefully this will change with CS4.

Cixso
02-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Biased and dumb post, you have to be stupid to have problems on a Windows PC ;) If you get a virus, that's your fault, not the computers. The warning you get on a Mac (and also on a PC) is to stop stupid people doing something stupid, basically :P

Mine's crashed a few times since I've had it, it's over a years old and probably only crashed 5 times, and that's because some things didn't want to work :/

I personally don't see any difference between the two, both can design and play music, but that's when the comparison stops if you want to take it to the extremes, because Vista/XP can play more games, and has more software available for music and design. So technically Windows is the better system because it has all the support, easier to solves issues (My aunty has a MacBook which deleted it's own OS) and can do what a Mac does, but 100 times more :/ I don't even see why people think a Mac is better than designing than a PC, both use Adobe Photoshop so they have the same tools. I think the only good program on a Mac is that GarageBand thing.

Amazingly said.

+REP and agreed. (edit: got to spread...) I rarely give out rep, last rep I gave away was at least 2 month ago... :P

I personally love windows, only want to use windows, and wouldn't change from windows if somebody paid me £1000 to switch over.

Stephen!
02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
and wouldn't change from windows if somebody paid me £1000 to switch over.

I would take the money and use windows anyway

Recursion
02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Take the money, install Windows on Mac hardware. Done.

Can you stop Mac OS from requiring a password all the time, kinda have it like Vista's UAC where you just click allow?

Monopoly
02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85p7JZXNy8

Nick.
02-08-2008, 01:17 PM

Dumb part-of-post... You say that for Windows to have a problem, the user has to be stupid and that if you get a virus, it's the users fault. Well, on a Mac, if the OS gets deleted, the user has to be stupid (not offending your aunty or anything, I'm just saying). No way would OS X ever delete itself, the user would of had to of done something.

Can you stop Mac OS from requiring a password all the time, kinda have it like Vista's UAC where you just click allow?
If you didn't have a password on your account I assume you could press OK without typing anything. It never really bothers me because I just remember it's keeping my system safe. :)

xxMATTGxx
02-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Take the money, install Windows on Mac hardware. Done.

I rather enter my password. So incase i forget to activate the screensaver or its not tuned on after so many minutes. No one can install any crap :P

Colin-Roberts
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
I use both and prefer neither - they're both as bad as each other and could learn a lot from each other. I only use my PC for playing games (or when my Mac goes into the Apple Store for repair -.-)

Also, Adobe CS is better on the PC than it is for Mac, but hopefully this will change with CS4.

I agree with Dark. I have a pc and a mac each gets there use everyday.. The mac slightly more only because it's a laptop.

redtom
02-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I have Windows and use Windows but I would really like to buy a Mac for designing, although I'll never have the money spare.

Recursion
02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I mean, can you give your account a password, so you can enter it when you come off screensaver, but still have something like UAC, Windows lets you setup enter password on screensaver, while just allowing you to click Allow on the UAC prompts, they say UAC is annoying... Mac OS asking for a password takes a lot longer then pressing allow, surely thats more annoying? That's why I was asking if it could be made like Windows :P

xxMATTGxx
02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I mean, can you give your account a password, so you can enter it when you come off screensaver, but still have something like UAC, Windows lets you setup enter password on screensaver, while just allowing you to click Allow on the UAC prompts, they say UAC is annoying... Mac OS asking for a password takes a lot longer then pressing allow, surely thats more annoying? That's why I was asking if it could be made like Windows :P

Yes, If your account has a password. You can enable the option when you come off "Screensaver" you have to put your password in. I rather enter the password for the reason I have said above.

Wayne
02-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I use Windows and prefer Windows. Always had a Windows tbh.

GommeInc
03-08-2008, 01:25 PM
The thing is, she just turned it on and it wasn't there. I was hovering over her because she was in the same room as me and I was wondering what she's doing and it was quite funny watching her going "Ohhh... What's all this then?" in her teacher like voice. I've not heard of a computer or even a Mac delete it's own OS before, and I can't see how it is possible on a Mac when they self-glorify reliability and suggest nothing like this should happen, considering they're meant to be easier to use and safer to use than a PC. At least with a PC you can blame the user when they delete System32 files, the same goes for a user getting a virus. Their fault, not the systems :P

And my aunty is a bit dippy, so nothing wrong with you saying that. But I really don't get how she could delete a whole OS (according to Apple) when they're meant to not allow this.

Dumb part-of-post... You say that for Windows to have a problem, the user has to be stupid and that if you get a virus, it's the users fault. Well, on a Mac, if the OS gets deleted, the user has to be stupid (not offending your aunty or anything, I'm just saying). No way would OS X ever delete itself, the user would of had to of done something.

Plank
03-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I put Windows because I have never used a Mac before so I can't comment on them.

Holofoil
03-08-2008, 02:04 PM
But I know so many people here who say they prefer Windows haven't even used a Mac properly... I'd say you need to have used it for about a month to get used to it. I know they're really hard to use if it's your first time.
I just think having used windows all my life, the mac just does everything mor smoothly for me - it feels like it knows what I'm trying to do and helps along the way.
I see one major advantage with windows, and that's the fact that most people use them. Other than that I'd never go back.

Nick.
03-08-2008, 02:10 PM
The thing is, she just turned it on and it wasn't there. I was hovering over her because she was in the same room as me and I was wondering what she's doing and it was quite funny watching her going "Ohhh... What's all this then?" in her teacher like voice. I've not heard of a computer or even a Mac delete it's own OS before, and I can't see how it is possible on a Mac when they self-glorify reliability and suggest nothing like this should happen, considering they're meant to be easier to use and safer to use than a PC. At least with a PC you can blame the user when they delete System32 files, the same goes for a user getting a virus. Their fault, not the systems :P

And my aunty is a bit dippy, so nothing wrong with you saying that. But I really don't get how she could delete a whole OS (according to Apple) when they're meant to not allow this.
AAMOF, I once turned on my System, and I admit, all I got was the Apple logo then the blue screen... I thought oh ****, Apple sucks! But you know what? Nothing had happened at all, I'd turned it off by the plug by accident (I thought I was unplugging the lamp :P), so I inserted the install disc, pressed Archive and Install, and in 7 minutes I was back up and running with the exact config I had before (and apps and documents and such). If I got a BSOD on Windows, it might of taken me a bit longer and I might of lost my data.

To Orinioco;
Yes, all my friends despise Mac's, I say why? They say because they're too different and they don't know how to use them. What kind of lame *** reason is that, seriously? Get to know how to use them and you might prefer it, you might not. It's not hard and it certainly doesn't take a genius to think of it.

Holofoil
03-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah I do think you can only give an oppinion if you've actually used both. Alot of the people I know say they don't like Macs because they either haven't used them, and don't want to try to because they're creatures of habbit.
When it comes to technical problems my Windows just screwed up constantly and my Mac never has, and my dad's had one for a year and it's never messed up.

By the way, I can't close thread anymore cos I just lost VIP.

Recursion
03-08-2008, 02:34 PM
I have used high end Macs and my opinion is still biased to Windows.

jackass
03-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I have used both and I prefer Windows by far.

AndrewByrne
03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Windows and just windows, But I love the iMac movie making :I

Holofoil
03-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Interesting to see on the poll, that 4 people use windows and prefer mac, and no one who uses the mac prefers windows. (so far). I just think loads of people are saying windows is better because they don't have a mac and it's human nature to be biased to what you have.

It's the same with PS3 and 360 - my mates with ps3 say ps3 is better, and mates with 360 say 360 is better - but my mates with both say ____ is better. I'm not saying which one they said because I don't want to start an argument. But they all said the same console.

Recursion
03-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Same on the console scene for me, I go round my brothers, he has all 3 consoles, Out of 360 and PS3, I am still biased towards the 360, same for Mac and Windows, used Macs enough in my life, used Windows enough in my life, yet I am still biased towards Windows :P

DrLacero
04-08-2008, 03:35 AM
Interesting to see on the poll, that 4 people use windows and prefer mac, and no one who uses the mac prefers windows. (so far). I just think loads of people are saying windows is better because they don't have a mac and it's human nature to be biased to what you have.

You don't have to own something to have an opinion of it :S

I'd say you need to have used it for about a month to get used to it.

You said in Apple & Macintosh you only just got a macbook though ;)

I know they're really hard to use if it's your first time.

Not a chance, whenever I used a macbook it acted like I was a baby whos never used a computer before. Enjoy your Fisher Price OS ;)

HotelUser
04-08-2008, 03:48 AM
I would think about buying a Mac, if they wern't outrageously expensive for what you get, compared to what you get with a PC with Windows. You're paying twice the price for the Mac, and getting half the specifications you'd get compared to a PC. I like the Graphical Interface on MacOS better compared to Windows, and Apple did a better job on Leopard than Microsoft did with Vista. I think Windows is generally more compatible with games than MacOS is. I think people claiming Microsoft steals from Apple is ridiculous (no taste, no original ideas, etc..), because of Xerox. The Mac vs PC ads are a total joke too in my opinion, I honestly don't know if Apple was trying to make spoof ads, or genuine ads :P. I don't think MacOS is better for designing I can only think of two cases where MacOS was significant with designing, one was the xBox. The Mac was used for design xBox games because they both used PPC processors, therefore Microsoft purchasd a substancial amount of PPC Macs. Secondly Pixar use Macs to develope on, because Steve Jobs was a C.E.O at Pixar.

Blinger1
04-08-2008, 04:28 AM
I would think about buying a Mac, if they wern't outrageously expensive for what you get, compared to what you get with a PC with Windows. You're paying twice the price for the Mac, and getting half the specifications you'd get compared to a PC. I like the Graphical Interface on MacOS better compared to Windows, and Apple did a better job on Leopard than Microsoft did with Vista. I think Windows is generally more compatible with games than MacOS is. I think people claiming Microsoft steals from Apple is ridiculous (no taste, no original ideas, etc..), because of Xerox. The Mac vs PC ads are a total joke too in my opinion, I honestly don't know if Apple was trying to make spoof ads, or genuine ads :P. I don't think MacOS is better for designing I can only think of two cases where MacOS was significant with designing, one was the xBox. The Mac was used for design xBox games because they both used PPC processors, therefore Microsoft purchasd a substancial amount of PPC Macs. Secondly Pixar use Macs to develope on, because Steve Jobs was a C.E.O at Pixar.
Use the enter bar a little bit :O!

I have no favourite OS, I like OS X and Vista... :)

xxMATTGxx
04-08-2008, 06:01 AM

Not a chance, whenever I used a macbook it acted like I was a baby whos never used a computer before. Enjoy your Fisher Price OS ;)

Really? I never seen when I first switched on my mac that I was a baby.

Nick.
04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
No, you don't, but you need to of used it to have an opinion. If I'd never tasted an orange I could just say 'oh they're disgusting', could I?

What does that have to do with what he thinks is a substantial amount of time to get used to it? The progress he has made so far with OS X, had led him to believe he will be fully Mac literate in one month, or maybe he's used OS X before on a regular basis? At school? Don't make silly assumptions.

What makes you think of Fisher Price? Thinking about your next Christmas present are you? No way have I ever felt like a baby using OS X, unlike when I use Microsoft Word and that silly paper clip asking me if I need help and all the silly yellow balloons that appear in the corner telling me that if I want to clean my desktop I could use the desktop clearance tool and such.

Enjoy your tatty, buggy, slow, failure of an OS! (AKA: The Virgin of cola's. ;) If you've never heard of Virgin cola it was disgusting. Look it up. :))

Really? I never seen when I first switched on my mac that I was a baby.
I have to agree Matt, I've always felt like a mature teenager using Mac OS X, which I am? :S In fact, I don't think Mac OS X has ever made me feel anything... except joy when I don't get BSOD's and multiple problems!

HotelUser
04-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Use the enter bar a little bit :O!

I have no favourite OS, I like OS X and Vista... :)

OSX > Vista
XP > OSX
In my opinion.

Recursion
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
......X, which I am? :S In fact, I don't think Mac OS X has ever made me feel anything... except joy when I don't get BSOD's and multiple problems!

I have had no problems and no BSODs with my Windows PC thanks.

Josh-H
04-08-2008, 02:07 PM
This thread makes me laugh. Everyone is so defensive over their choice of operating system. It's pathetic. Is it important to me, hell yeah. Is it worth argueing on a forum about? No way.

If you're truly satisifed with your OS, why do you need to convince other people that yours is the best? Variety is what makes the world interesting.

newWORLDorder
04-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Everyone can just bicker, I doubt there will be an official ruling saying Mac OS X is better or Windows Vista is better.

I visually and technically preface OS X. After using Windows all my life, a change was imminent and I changed to Mac, and they just work much better IMO.

Seriously, XP is epic as-well. No problems with it.

Vista, well thats another story.

DrLacero
04-08-2008, 10:15 PM
... except joy when I don't get BSOD's and multiple problems!

I have had no problems and no BSODs with my Windows PC thanks.

Neither have I since windows 3.1.

Enjoy your "can't do **** captain" OS on overpriced hardware.

Swearwolf
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
windows obv lol

Recursion
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I want one person, to list me everything they think is wrong with Vista, GO.

Monopoly
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM

There's nothing wrong with Vista any more.
There was at first as everyone knows but everyone who still moans is jsut being a sheep.
Had to be said.

I still want a Mac. ;(

DrLacero
05-08-2008, 12:58 AM

UAC
"This program is trying to do something which isn't remotely dangerous, but are you sure you want to let it anyway?"
Run | Don't Run
Bloated themes
Poor resource management
Overpriced

That's all I have against it, I'm sure someone else will have more.

tdi
05-08-2008, 12:58 AM
I use Windows, I would like a mac but I haven't got much experience with macs so can't say whether I prefer it or not.

HotelUser
05-08-2008, 03:12 AM

It boots slower than XP.
It's requirements are ridiculously higher (and that is based off me using Vista on several machines since it's came out, and having to do upgrades on each, even though they all came with Vista Premium.)
Windows Sidebar is useless (I can disable it, but it shouldn't have came with my computer in the first place.
UAC is pointless..you might as well not turn on your computer with it enabled.
Incompatibility with applications and software (a big one being Flight Simulator..it works for some, but for others it's incompatible with the "Aero Experience".
I like the indexed searching...but I liked it better on OSX when I saw it first.
Honestly, I don't think there are enough positive features of Vista, to make me want to upgrade...convince me :D!

My own opinion
Just because Vista is newer than XP doesn't automatically make it significantly better. The latest and greatest isn't always better...Vista may have a few good features, but it's requirements are massive compared to XP's requirements, and even if your system is Vista ready, Vista's not going to run as efficiently as XP would. In my opinion I can just not see how running Vista (which is going to be slower) over XP is logical.
Not many people have/will be going out to the store to purchase a license of Vista to install on their systems. Vista is getting sold because computer manufacturers are licensing the operating system from Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't give them the choice of licensing XP, and contracts expire..what is Dell or HP going to do..start selling ALL their products with Ubuntu? I think not:P. I know very few people who actually prefer Vista over XP, but they're stuck using it, because of Microsoft's "you can only downgrade if you have our most expensive version of Vista plan".
If I think back...I can't even see the point in switching from Windows 2000 to XP..but at the time my new computer had been shipped with XP. Since the release of Vista, I don't remember seeing so many users switching over to Ubuntu, as they can't downgrade to XP.
The only positive thing Vista has done that I care about, is that manufacturers are making better computers to accommodate Vista better, and PCs are getting cheaper and cheaper..yet Apple assures me that a $2,200 is a good deal, when I can get a Intel Quad Q6600 for $539. Lets say I did buy that iMac, and I wanted to play Flight Simulator. Okay..no problem (and lets say I'm an honest guy and don't pirate software) I'll just purchase a Vista license ranging from $200-$400 and dual boot it! (One thing I do admire from Apple, though, is the Mac Minis, although they can get a tad pricey too).
In the very very end, not everyone is going to agree with everyone else on which computer they want to buy. Maybe I like mixing music, so I'll get a Mac Mini, or I just like surfing the internet..so I'll get a netbook. If I want to play games and watch TV all day I'll get the HP MediaCenter PC with the Q6600. Not everyone wants to do everything everyone else is doing. To be honest, if I had been using Macs all my life then I'd probably be supporting them more than I support Windows, and PCs in general..there's thousands of different scenarios as to why someone wants one system, and someone else wants another system. It's their life, they're selecting the computer they think will best accommodate to their needs:D.

Ooh, and I just want to add that it wont matter as much in a few years about what operating system you're running...because of all the "in the cloud" services online. What was Microsoft's most recent offer attempting to acquire Google?

DrLacero
05-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Ooh, and I just want to add that it wont matter as much in a few years about what operating system you're running...because of all the "in the cloud" services online. What was Microsoft's most recent offer attempting to acquire Google?

Biiig block of text there with some very good points :P
Those cloud ideas don't sound very appealing to me, I'm never going to let my computer be run from somewhere else as I want privacy for a start. It was yahoo that MS offered to purchase for £22.4 billion, not google by the way.

Recursion
05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
UAC
"This program is trying to do something which isn't remotely dangerous, but are you sure you want to let it anyway?"
Run | Don't Run
Bloated themes
Poor resource management
Overpriced

That's all I have against it, I'm sure someone else will have more.

1. Can be turned off, Mac has a worse equivalent of putting your password in.
2. Thats UAC, again can be turned off, its protecting your computer, like a Mac.
3. How is it bloated?
4. EXCUSE ME? POOR RESOURCE MANAGMENT? PMSL? It actually has fart better management than any of the other Windows OSs out there. If the resources are there why not use them?
5. Overpriced? All software is overpriced.

It boots slower than XP.
It's requirements are ridiculously higher (and that is based off me using Vista on several machines since it's came out, and having to do upgrades on each, even though they all came with Vista Premium.)
Windows Sidebar is useless (I can disable it, but it shouldn't have came with my computer in the first place.
Incompatibility with applications and software (a big one being Flight Simulator..it works for some, but for others it's incompatible with the "Aero Experience".
I like the indexed searching...but I liked it better on OSX when I saw it first.
Honestly, I don't think there are enough positive features of Vista, to make me want to upgrade...convince me :D!

My own opinion
Just because Vista is newer than XP doesn't automatically make it significantly better. The latest and greatest isn't always better...Vista may have a few good features, but it's requirements are massive compared to XP's requirements, and even if your system is Vista ready, Vista's not going to run as efficiently as XP would. In my opinion I can just not see how running Vista (which is going to be slower) over XP is logical.
Not many people have/will be going out to the store to purchase a license of Vista to install on their systems. Vista is getting sold because computer manufacturers are licensing the operating system from Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't give them the choice of licensing XP, and contracts expire..what is Dell or HP going to do..start selling ALL their products with Ubuntu? I think not:P. I know very few people who actually prefer Vista over XP, but they're stuck using it, because of Microsoft's "you can only downgrade if you have our most expensive version of Vista plan".
If I think back...I can't even see the point in switching from Windows 2000 to XP..but at the time my new computer had been shipped with XP. Since the release of Vista, I don't remember seeing so many users switching over to Ubuntu, as they can't downgrade to XP.
The only positive thing Vista has done that I care about, is that manufacturers are making better computers to accommodate Vista better, and PCs are getting cheaper and cheaper..yet Apple assures me that a $2,200 is a good deal, when I can get a Intel Quad Q6600 for $539. Lets say I did buy that iMac, and I wanted to play Flight Simulator. Okay..no problem (and lets say I'm an honest guy and don't pirate software) I'll just purchase a Vista license ranging from $200-$400 and dual boot it! (One thing I do admire from Apple, though, is the Mac Minis, although they can get a tad pricey too).
In the very very end, not everyone is going to agree with everyone else on which computer they want to buy. Maybe I like mixing music, so I'll get a Mac Mini, or I just like surfing the internet..so I'll get a netbook. If I want to play games and watch TV all day I'll get the HP MediaCenter PC with the Q6600. Not everyone wants to do everything everyone else is doing. To be honest, if I had been using Macs all my life then I'd probably be supporting them more than I support Windows, and PCs in general..there's thousands of different scenarios as to why someone wants one system, and someone else wants another system. It's their life, they're selecting the computer they think will best accommodate to their needs:D.

1. It doesn't boot slower than XP :S I turn my PC on and its on the desktop in about 30 seconds, XP took about 3 minutes.
2. Please get out of the past and into the present, most computers have 2GB RAM+ nowadays.
3. Its not useless if you get good gadgets for it, why shouldn't it come with it in the first place? All you have to do is right click > close.
4. UAC can again, be disabled, but its like Mac's equivalent, only better.
5. Flight Sim 2004 was... well, 4 years ago, of course it probably will have some issues, mine worked perfectly with Aero, but after a long time it would stop working, this is after about 2 hours of use, so I just tell it to disable Aero while im playing it, no biggy imo.
6. Index searching was in Linux long before OSX, anyway, I prefer having it in the start menu rathar than in the top of my screen non-stop.
7. Not much to say to that.

I agree. Apple do take the piss with their prices majorly, you can just be as fun and creative on Windows, the "Get a Mac" ads Apple do are quite good, but at the same time extremely childish, having to **** off other companies. Now I see Microsoft is following that trend to counteract them, fair dos.

But, as the days go by, we should be moving to bigger and better hardware, and Vista is pushing this, Apple are making their operating systems backwards compatible with the older stuff, because then they can make more money by selling it to old users imo. Microsoft are doing the right thing and stepping up the requirments, making companies sell hardware, cheaper!

Dell and HP are being forced to sell Vista by Microsoft, they are phasing out XP now, after all, XP is the past, Vista is the present.

Microsoft tried to buy out Yahoo! not Google ;)

Shawnstra
05-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I used to use windows 3 weeks ago, now I'm mainly on a mac, and I prefer: mac. Why? It just works. Simpler everything, beautiful GUI, etc. Spotlight easier to find stuff compared to windows search, loads faster too compared to windows search. also better location (no need to go through start menu) Dock is great, easier to launch new apps and also view the ones you have open at the same time, expose very easy with mighty mouse (Ctrl+tab more difficult) especially when I have to change between windows frequently.

Recursion
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
So you say, Windows doesn't "just work"?

The GUI being beautiful is personal preferance, imo Aero is nicer. Spotlight isn't easier to find stuff? It's just the same, you type in a box and it looks for stuff, It doesn't load quicker?

Having it in the start menu is easier if you use keyboard shortcuts a lot, like I just press the windows key and start typing for something to find, easier than grabbing the mouse and clicking the box then typing.

PERSONALLY I don't like seeing whats currently open in the dock, because it doesn't have the program names there. Exposé I can't comment on as I haven't really used it.

Jordy
05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
It boots slower than XP.

1) I think that very much depends on the hardware, I've never noticed it being slower than XP, it's either been faster or similar.

2) First of all, Vista to run smoothly does need to be a little above the recommend minimum (They recommend about 1GB Memory when 2GB Memory is usually more sufficient). I think you've had some bad experience's with it being loaded on low-spec machines or upgrading from XP. Very few XP machines are capable of running Vista well, and then you'll run into software problems with the upgrade anyway.

3) The Sidebar isn't the most useful object ever, it's not too bad but it can be easily removed...

4) UAC Control is nothing, it's not ever that annoying clicking 'Allow' whenever you do anything serious to your computer settings, at least you don't have a password like on Mac's. This can easily be turned off too. It's hardly a Vista woe.

5) I'm afraid my biggest problem with Vista is probably drivers, and by the looks of it you have problems with software. Incompatibility is not Microsoft's or Vista's fault, it's companies being too lazy and greedy to update drivers and software. Generally only software on older CD-Roms are trouble, most things off the internet are fine.

6) So what if you prefer the indexed searching on Mac? You haven't said what's wrong with it on Vista, searching is immense on Vista, it's very accurate and finds it as you type it. If you remember it used to take about 5 minutes on XP to search, I do hope at least you've installed indexed searching on your Windows XP as it's undeniabilty a bigger improvement.

7) Well if it's bundled on a computer I certainly wouldn't remove it as it's more likely to run it, it has many smaller features which improve things such as a stripped down Windows Movie Maker, the Snipping Tool, Windows Media Center is on most versions of Vista and it's hardly ever found on XP. Media Center makes watching through a TV Extender, Xbox 360 or TV Tuner much easier. Windows Mail is a lot easier to use than Outlook Express and the majority of programmes that come with Vista have been simplified and cleaned up. Windows Explorer is much easier to use and it's better organised and one of the better unknown features of Vista is the memory management and automatic defragging which makes a huge difference as with XP you had to manually defrag and that took ages, Vista does it every day with out telling me, at least it can make good use of the more memory.

Shawnstra
05-08-2008, 11:33 AM

The GUI being beautiful is personal preferance, imo Aero is nicer. Spotlight isn't easier to find stuff? It's just the same, you type in a box and it looks for stuff, It doesn't load quicker?

Having it in the start menu is easier if you use keyboard shortcuts a lot, like I just press the windows key and start typing for something to find, easier than grabbing the mouse and clicking the box then typing.

PERSONALLY I don't like seeing whats currently open in the dock, because it doesn't have the program names there. Exposé I can't comment on as I haven't really used it.

I probably can't say much about the "working" bit because I've been using mac for about 3 weeks ish. However, I find it to be much easier to work, like crashes quite often for me.
Its easier in that you don't have to go through 2 menus to get to it, also, its more comprehensive, its searches the whole mac hd and groups it according to type
I don't really use different windows of the same app so it works for me, there will be a little light below apps that are open in the dock, and a separate area for other apps open, its also easier to launch apps as I don't have to go to start menu etc., just right there. Buttons are larger too if you're comparing it to quick launch
Expose is like Flip 3D except it shows all the windows and it doesn't lag so much.
Also to add on: Faster startup/shut down times on mac
Dashboard is better compared to sidebar - gets out of the way when I don't need it, little mouse shortcut and I can view it again, covers whole screen so I can throw in more widgets

Recursion
05-08-2008, 11:46 AM
1. Windows NEVER crashes for me?

2. 2 menus? You press the start button and BAM! its there... Windows searches EVERYTHING on the computer, wether is a Partition for Videos or a USB Stick.

3. But this relies on you knowing the icon for the particular app, or the developer even making an icon, which 99% do but still. You can just type an app into the search bar on the start menu and it will come up, just press the windows key, type, then press enter usually.

4. Flip 3D NEVER lags for me, and it does show all the windows...

5. Macs don't start up that quick actually, they are quite slow in comparison to quite a few Windows Vista systems.

6. Dashboard is awfull, but sidebar isn't that much better. But the sidebar, can actually be made into a full screen thing, you just drag the gadgets over to where you want them on the desktop and then close the sidebar and bam! its done. But i never use the sidebar, or dashboard if I had a Mac, anyway.

DrLacero
05-08-2008, 11:47 AM
1. Can be turned off, Mac has a worse equivalent of putting your password in.

I'm not arguing the case for Mac, XP > Vista > OS X

2. Thats UAC, again can be turned off, its protecting your computer, like a Mac.

Just because it can be turned off doesn't mean it isn't a point against it, the paperclip in word for example, the vista welcome screen, apple trying to install safari on your computer when you have itunes or quicktime.

3. How is it bloated?

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3931/yucknk7.jpg

4. EXCUSE ME? POOR RESOURCE MANAGMENT? PMSL? It actually has fart better management than any of the other Windows OSs out there. If the resources are there why not use them?

That's your opinion, I had Vista installed on my machine for about 10 days when SP1 came out and it was nearly always using ~40% of my CPU on idle whereas XP is currently using 12% while playing a video on my second monitor and editing the picture I'm doing for number 3 in fireworks.

5. Overpriced? All software is overpriced.

Vista is overoverpriced. I wouldn't pay half of what they're charging for it (plus I could get XP for that much ;)).

Recursion
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
If the resources are there, why not use them? It frees them up when they are needed.

Screenshot:

If the buttons were any smaller, then they would be damn hard to click.
Again, Aero is personal preference, I like the eye candy and the transparency, which again can actually be turned off.
The sidebar comment could be said the same for dashboard.
The power buttons are actually in quite an easy access spot and I like them there, but again personal preference.

You need Vista installed for about a Week - Fortnight for it to fully optimize it self for your system.

Shawnstra
05-08-2008, 11:58 AM

2. 2 menus? You press the start button and BAM! its there... Windows searches EVERYTHING on the computer, wether is a Partition for Videos or a USB Stick.

3. But this relies on you knowing the icon for the particular app, or the developer even making an icon, which 99% do but still. You can just type an app into the search bar on the start menu and it will come up, just press the windows key, type, then press enter usually.

4. Flip 3D NEVER lags for me, and it does show all the windows...

5. Macs don't start up that quick actually, they are quite slow in comparison to quite a few Windows Vista systems.

6. Dashboard is awfull, but sidebar isn't that much better. But the sidebar, can actually be made into a full screen thing, you just drag the gadgets over to where you want them on the desktop and then close the sidebar and bam! its done. But i never use the sidebar, or dashboard if I had a Mac, anyway.

The heated debate continues :D

2. The Mac Spotlight is much neater imo, you can search for more things e.g. folders, documents, everything with that name, while windows only do apps.

3. Most of them have icons, and the icons are quite easy to remember

4. Maybe I have a slower PC

5. Really? Because when I first got my Vista (nothing inside it) it still took quite some time to start, shorter than my XP (dunno really because my XP is a slower machine). Mac is like 10 secs start 3 secs shutdown

6. I love dashboard. Dragging the widgets on the desktop for Sidebar is very messy. I love the idea that with the click of a button you reveal a so-called "parallel workspace" where you can access it quicker. On windows, you need to minimize the windows first, showing desktop (alt+tab) does not show the sidebar, it just shows the desktop

Rebut away :P

Btw, no offense, but if you haven't use a mac, you won't know how it feels. I've used both before so I can gauge. No offense once again :)

Stephen!
05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3931/yucknk7.jpg

get a bigger screen

Shawnstra
05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
5. Overpriced? All software is overpriced

Interesting to note, Vista is much more expensive than OS X. Theres only 1 version of Mac OS X and I assume they'll make it their best. I remembered when I bought my OEM Vista Premium, it was at the cost of OS X. Ultimate at that time costs SGD$600 ish.

DrLacero
05-08-2008, 12:09 PM
If the resources are there, why not use them? It frees them up when they are needed.

It didn't seem to when I ran a game :S Other than DX10 (which you can get on XP by the way) it didn't offer me a better gaming experience.

If the buttons were any smaller, then they would be damn hard to click.

This is perfection
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/General-Jazza/yumyum.png

Vista is waaaay too big

The power buttons are actually in quite an easy access spot and I like them there, but again personal preference.

It's not about where they are, they were always there. What's wrong with this? Why have a Power, Log off and a menu containing those 2 again when you can have this one button which can do them all?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/General-Jazza/yum.png

You need Vista installed for about a Week - Fortnight for it to fully optimize it self for your system.

I could barely stand it after a few hours, I put up with it so I could see if it got any better or easier to use and after 10 days it didn't, an OS shouldn't have to take time to work better on your system, if it isn't ready to use and doesn't give you the option to configure it yourself like Linux then it's pointless.

The sidebar comment could be said the same for dashboard.

Probably, I never used it when I've used OS X. Again I'm not pro OS X, I don't like Vista or OS X :P

get a bigger screen

That's the default screenshot that someone else took, I use 1280x1024 and couldn't find a screenshot in that resolution.

Blinger1
05-08-2008, 12:15 PM
It didn't seem to when I ran a game :S Other than DX10 (which you can get on XP by the way) it didn't offer me a better gaming experience.

This is perfection
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/General-Jazza/yumyum.png

Vista is waaaay too big

It's not about where they are, they were always there. What's wrong with this? Why have a Power, Log off and a menu containing those 2 again when you can have this one button which can do them all?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/General-Jazza/yum.png

I could barely stand it after a few hours, I put up with it so I could see if it got any better or easier to use and after 10 days it didn't, an OS shouldn't have to take time to work better on your system, if it isn't ready to use and doesn't give you the option to configure it yourself like Linux then it's pointless.

Probably, I never used it when I've used OS X. Again I'm not pro OS X, I don't like Vista or OS X :P

That's the default screenshot that someone else took, I use 1280x1024 and couldn't find a screenshot in that resolution.
Weird, seems my school computers have a logoff and restart button on the desktop.. :rolleyes:

DrLacero
05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
school computers

http://www.screenhead.com/funny/SNEEZE34343434.JPG

Well there's your problem

And I don't think they were on the desktop, try start menu ;)

Holofoil
05-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Macbooks aren't the only type of mac you can get :l I've got a desktop one too. I need laptop for school.

Recursion
05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
And let me tell you this, there is no way to get DX10 on anything below Vista right now.

HotelUser
05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
1. Can be turned off, Mac has a worse equivalent of putting your password in.The OSX one works BETTER.

2. Thats UAC, again can be turned off, its protecting your computer, like a Mac.not as good as a Mac

3. How is it bloated? How is it not bloated?? See: http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=193

4. EXCUSE ME? POOR RESOURCE MANAGMENT? PMSL? It actually has fart better management than any of the other Windows OSs out there. If the resources are there why not use them?Because you can use XP, use LESS resources and have MORE for more important things. I rather have better performance in a game thank having my start bar look all shiney.

5. Overpriced? All software is overpriced.EXCUSE ME! Ubuntu and Open Office are free.

1. It doesn't boot slower than XP :S I turn my PC on and its on the desktop
Yes, it does boot slower than XP. If I install Vista, then XP on another machine(and both are exactly alike) then boot them, XP will boot quicker. That's a fact.in about 30 seconds, XP took about 3 minutes.
2. Please get out of the past and into the present, most computers have 2GB RAM+ nowadays.That's totally and absolutely incorrect, where online does it say that :S?

3. Its not useless if you get good gadgets for it, why shouldn't it come with it in the first place? All you have to do is right click > close.They shouldn't have included it in the first place, it was a cheap attempt at making something like Dashboard for OSX.

4. UAC can again, be disabled, but its like Mac's equivalent, only better.Better...better? How is it better!?

5. Flight Sim 2004 was... well, 4 years ago, of course it probably will have some issues, mine worked perfectly with Aero, but after a long time it would stop working, this is after about 2 hours of use, so I just tell it to disable Aero while im playing it, no biggy imo.There you go....."its 4 years old...so I'm going to get the newest most expensive!!" If you browse the net, and even HxF, you will see that the general consensius about Microsoft Flight Simulator, is that MANY people use FS2004 still. A big reason, is that FSX takes up a lot of disk space, and isn't compatible with SquawkBox, which is required to fly online with VATSIM. That was an example, there are MAAANY others.

6. Index searching was in Linux long before OSX, anyway, I prefer having it in the start menu rathar than in the top of my screen non-stop.then that's your opinion. My opinion is that the OSX's search looked much better.

7. Not much to say to that.I was looking forward to a huge list of legitimate reasons why I should switch to Vista.

I agree. Apple do take the piss with their prices majorly, you can just be as fun and creative on Windows, the "Get a Mac" ads Apple do are quite good, but at the same time extremely childish, having to **** off other companies. Now I see Microsoft is following that trend to counteract them, fair dos.

But, as the days go by, we should be moving to bigger and better hardware, and Vista is pushing this, Apple are making their operating systems backwards compatible with the older stuff, because then they can make more money by selling it to old users imo. Microsoft are doing the right thing and stepping up the requirements, making companies sell hardware, cheaper!

Dell and HP are being forced to sell Vista by Microsoft, they are phasing out XP now, after all, XP is the past, Vista is the present.But that's totally irrelavent. Age has nothing to do with a product being good.

Microsoft tried to buy out Yahoo! not Google ;) I know. I misstyped. It was late ;).

It's very nice to have a dock. Obviously there's a substantialc amount of people who use Windows that agree with me. There are very popular Dock programs for Windows, such as Rocket Dock, or Stardock.

[/list]

1) I think that very much depends on the hardware, I've never noticed it being slower than XP, it's either been faster or similar.No...hardware is irrelevant. If I take an old IBM Thinkbook running at 728Mhz, and with 256MB ram then obviously XP will run better than Vista. If I take an HP MC computer with the Q6600 and 2GB of ram, then XP will still run better than Vista. It will boot faster, and when you're doing something that requires a lot of horse power, XP will preform better.

2) First of all, Vista to run smoothly does need to be a little above the recommend minimum (They recommend about 1GB Memory when 2GB Memory is usually more sufficient). I think you've had some bad experience's with it being loaded on low-spec machines or upgrading from XP. Very few XP machines are capable of running Vista well, and then you'll run into software problems with the upgrade anyway.I have an Aspire 9410, Dual Core intel processor, came with 1GB of ram(upgraded to 2.5GB). It's a nice machine, I don't tend to buy Acer but I like this one. However I just don't think Vista is pulling it's weight. A Toshiba I have with similar specifications runs Vista Basic, and THAT runs terribly. And I'm sure, you would agree that the HP MiniNote, or OQO2 should not be shipped with Vista...yet it is...

3) The Sidebar isn't the most useful object ever, it's not too bad but it can be easily removed... It can be disabled. It still consumes disk space.

4) UAC Control is nothing, it's not ever that annoying clicking 'Allow' whenever you do anything serious to your computer settings, at least you don't have a password like on Mac's. This can easily be turned off too. It's hardly a Vista woe.Not accoirding to Vista reviews on Google. UAC is a disappointment.

5) I'm afraid my biggest problem with Vista is probably drivers, and by the looks of it you have problems with software. Incompatibility is not Microsoft's or Vista's fault, it's companies being too lazy and greedy to update drivers and software. Generally only software on older CD-Roms are trouble, most things off the internet are fine.It wouldn't be the companies problems if Microsoft made their operating system a little more compatible. I don't expect it to be totally compatible, but when switching from Windows 98 to XP I noticed hardly any problems.

6) So what if you prefer the indexed searching on Mac? You haven't said what's wrong with it on Vista, searching is immense on Vista, it's very accurate and finds it as you type it. If you remember it used to take about 5 minutes on XP to search, I do hope at least you've installed indexed searching on your Windows XP as it's undeniabilty a bigger improvement. I agree, it is useful. But on XP I use Google Desktop Search, which is better because I can search from my taskbar, or if I go to Google's website from any computer in my house, I can search for files on any other computer!

7) Well if it's bundled on a computer I certainly wouldn't remove it as it's more likely to run it, it has many smaller features which improve things such as a stripped down Windows Movie Maker, the Snipping Tool, Windows Media Center is on most versions of Vista and it's hardly ever found on XP.There's other Media Center applications.
Media Center makes watching through a TV Extender, Xbox 360 or TV Tuner much easier. Windows Mail is a lot easier to use than Outlook ExpressYou can download Windows Mail free for XP
and the majority of programmes that come with Vista have been simplified and cleaned up.I do like the new mspaint, but I'll go back to XP, and give up being able to use the undo feature upto 9 times.

1. Windows NEVER crashes for me?I get BSOD'd on Vista a lot to be honest.

4. Flip 3D NEVER lags for me, and it does show all the windows...And I've used it a grand total of 2 times since I started using Vista? It doesn't lag for me either, but it's MUUCH easier and faster to use the start bar to switch tasks.

5. Macs don't start up that quick actually, they are quite slow in comparison to quite a few Windows Vista systems.OSX and Vista both started slower in my opinion.

And let me tell you this, there is no way to get DX10 on anything below Vista right now.
And that's supposed to change my mind on Vista:rolleyes:? Microsoft does that to convince people to switch to Vista, nothing more than marketing.

GommeInc
05-08-2008, 02:19 PM
The fanboy remarks are annoying. HotelUser seems to be the main culprit by saying "BETTER ON A MAC" and all the other annoying, one sided arguments. As far as I am aware, the less you do the better, so with the Vista UAC, it is better because it doesn't ask for a password (why would it anyway?) while the Mac one does, and as far as I am aware it's worse on a Mac because it wants you to do more for less. But that is after personal opinion and experience, that the norm is that the less you do for something so small is usually better. Like walking to a bus stop down the road with an hour till the bus is better than running to the bus stop in the amount of time. One requires less effort and is of course, better.

Vista also isn't bloated, you must be talking about stone aged Vista which was bloated. Vista with SP1 is quite close to XP with "bloated"ness. and as with all new systems, they hog resources more thus you get computers with more resources - When you bought an XP computer when it came out, it came with 512mb, it felt quite bloated. You get Vista computers with 1GB and aren't quite bloated, but approaching it. This is of course with low end computers. High end ones or mid class ones come with 2GB - 4GB of memory. So there's no real difference between buying an XP computer when it was released, and a Vista computer when Vista was released. Stop talking crap basically...

I find Vista loads faster than Macs, but I've not used alot of them. All I remember is that Vista logs onto the internet right when you see the Welcome Screen while Macs wait a few seconds. This of course might of changed (note that I am not basing my opinions as fact, rather pre-supposing them lightly, which some Mac and PC lovers really should learn).

Nick.
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Spotlight isn't easier to find stuff? It's just the same, you type in a box and it looks for stuff, It doesn't load quicker?

Spotlight is easier to find stuff, it categorises them into file types and you can choose which kind of files to display and in which order to display them. I have Applications shown first, then Documents, then Music, then everything else in whatever order.

Also, you should learn a bit more about Mac's before bragging about not having to touch a mouse to search, neither do we. We can just press CMD+Space or any F button, it's our choice. It's just as fast as pressing the flag button on Windows.

As a matter of fact, all you have to do is hover your mouse over something to see the name of it, and it isn't hard to remember icons for applications, unless you're too dumb to realise that an icon of an envelope isn't for a mail application and an icon of a guitar isn't for a music making applications (referring to Garageband). Expose is a fantastic tool, I don't know how I lived without it!

Might not crash but certainly lags.

Not really, because you can just hover over the icon to see what the application is called, and as I've already said, application icons are usually relative to the application, it's not hard to think what is what. Quick Launch doesn't show the name of the application at all, unless you hover over it for about 5 seconds. Same for OS X, you can just hit CMD+Space (CMD is a key not a combination of letters BTW) and type the applications name and if it's already open it will come to the front and if it isn't open it will open, obviously.

Sorry, but my Mac starts up instantly from Sleep and from hard shutdown about 10-15 seconds (minus the time it takes for me to type in my password and such.)

Dashboard isn't awful, and it least it's a bit neater then your method of dragging gadgets (AKA rip-of-widgets) all over the screen.

get a bigger screen
Sorry, but maybe he doesn't have an unlimited amount of money? Maybe he can't afford a bigger screen or maybe he's happy with the screen he has and just feels that a start bar shouldn't use over half your screens space.

And I don't think they were on the desktop, try start menu ;)
Actually, there is a way to create shutdown, logout and restart icons on the desktop.
See: http://www.astahost.com/info.php/how-create-shutdown-icon-desktop_t7372.html

4) UAC Control is nothing, it's not ever that annoying clicking 'Allow' whenever you do anything serious to your computer settings, at least you don't have a password like on Mac's. This can easily be turned off too. It's hardly a Vista woe.
Actually, you have to click Allow on Vista much more than you have to type in your password on a Mac, I have to type in my password about once a week on OS X. Only when I'm installing something or using Software Update.

TBH
I think this 'discussion' could go on forever. All in all I suppose it's down to person preference and opinion. My opinion? OS X succeeds at everything Vista fails at. Other people may think different but that's my 2¢.

Recursion
05-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Ok then, I conclude that IMO, Vista is far far better at almost everything :P

Nick.
05-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Your opinion and I respect that. :)

xxMATTGxx
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Jesus christ, here we go again. No wonder these threads get closed straight away on other forums. Anyway, I shall state what I want to say.

When I first got Windows Vista and used it for about a year or so? Maybe 2 not sure. I think it was a great operating system, better then XP with the new GUI, features and such. But did find the UAC annoying, but yeah you can get around it. Feb 2008 I got my first mac. Why? I wanted a change. I wanted to see what was good about them, to have an experience. I loved it. I loved every bit of the operating system they offered me with some great features, security and some wonderful applications out there you can't have on a Windows Computer. Yes I used to be one of them "Mac Fan Boys" you like to call them, Where I shall stick up for mac all the way. But to be honest, I can't be bothered. Because it won't get anywhere because no operating system is better then another. both have advantages, disadvantages, lack of features, security and such. I know Mac isn't a gaming system, I didn't buy it for that. The UAC on Vista does get annoying when I have to run a few applications as administrator and have to keep pressing "Allow" but meh. I like the way the OSX does just puts a box to enter your password which I find more efficient then the Run/Allow options we get on Windows. But then again thats my opinion. Although I do see where Mac Users like myself and the others are going because if you looked over youtube on the channels who used to make Mac videos for the community, guides, reviews and such. And these so called "Window Users" have gave them so much grief such as racist comments, personal attack comments like their family. And I think to myself, what the hell? Why all that just over an operating system. So thats why I really stopped because I think its just gone too far. Well anyway thats my post. To my youtube part, I don't think I have ever seen or heard that mac users on youtube do them sort of marks to Windows Users. Although I do like the OS Leopard very much with its interface, features and other things also. :)

This makes me laugh as well, even Google/Youtube know about it:

http://i37.tinypic.com/28kuhdh.png

Oh and by the way, I use both systems. But only Windows when I want to play Flight Simulator.

Josh-H
05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Can't this be closed yet? It's turned into a flame session.

Nick.
05-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Can't this be closed yet? It's turned into a flame session.
AAMOF, All it is is a heated debate.

HotelUser
05-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Jesus christ, here we go again. No wonder these threads get closed straight away on other forums. Anyway, I shall state what I want to say.

When I first got Windows Vista and used it for about a year or so? Maybe 2 not sure. I think it was a great operating system, better then XP with the new GUI, features and such. But did find the UAC annoying, but yeah you can get around it. Feb 2008 I got my first mac. Why? I wanted a change. I wanted to see what was good about them, to have an experience. I loved it. I loved every bit of the operating system they offered me with some great features, security and some wonderful applications out there you can't have on a Windows Computer. Yes I used to be one of them "Mac Fan Boys" you like to call them, Where I shall stick up for mac all the way. But to be honest, I can't be bothered. Because it won't get anywhere because no operating system is better then another. both have advantages, disadvantages, lack of features, security and such. I know Mac isn't a gaming system, I didn't buy it for that. The UAC on Vista does get annoying when I have to run a few applications as administrator and have to keep pressing "Allow" but meh. I like the way the OSX does just puts a box to enter your password which I find more efficient then the Run/Allow options we get on Windows. But then again thats my opinion. Although I do see where Mac Users like myself and the others are going because if you looked over youtube on the channels who used to make Mac videos for the community, guides, reviews and such. And these so called "Window Users" have gave them so much grief such as racist comments, personal attack comments like their family. And I think to myself, what the hell? Why all that just over an operating system. So thats why I really stopped because I think its just gone too far. Well anyway thats my post. To my youtube part, I don't think I have ever seen or heard that mac users on youtube do them sort of marks to Windows Users. Although I do like the OS Leopard very much with its interface, features and other things also. :)

This makes me laugh as well, even Google/Youtube know about it:

http://i37.tinypic.com/28kuhdh.png

Oh and by the way, I use both systems. But only Windows when I want to play Flight Simulator.

Nice picture :D.

And I will say that IMO XP is far far better at almost everything ;).

The fanboy remarks are annoying. HotelUser seems to be the main culprit by saying "BETTER ON A MAC" and all the other annoying, one sided arguments.No. I am pro Windows, not pro MacOS, read my posts. I am Also Pro XP, and anti Vista.
Vista also isn't bloated, you must be talking about stone aged Vista which was bloated. Vista with SP1 is quite close to XP with "bloated"ness. and as with all new systems, they hog resources more thus you get computers with more resources - When you bought an XP computer when it came out, it came with 512mb, it felt quite bloated. You get Vista computers with 1GB and aren't quite bloated, but approaching it. This is of course with low end computers. High end ones or mid class ones come with 2GB - 4GB of memory. So there's no real difference between buying an XP computer when it was released, and a Vista computer when Vista was released. Stop talking crap basically...
I rather have a Q6600 with 4GB of ram running XP either way, it will run better.

I find Vista loads faster than Macs, but I've not used alot of them. All I remember is that Vista logs onto the internet right when you see the Welcome Screen while Macs wait a few seconds. This of course might of changed (note that I am not basing my opinions as fact, rather pre-supposing them lightly, which some Mac and PC lovers really should learn). Right out of the box, from my experience, both load slower.

Jordy
05-08-2008, 03:48 PM
No. I am pro Windows, not pro MacOS, read my posts. I am Also Pro XP, and anti Vista.I rather have a Q6600 with 4GB of ram running XP either way, it will run better. Right out of the box, from my experience, both load slower.There's no need to be anti-Vista though, I understand you prefer XP and fair enough but it's unjust to be anti-Vista IMO.

GommeInc
05-08-2008, 03:51 PM
No. I am pro Windows, not pro MacOS, read my posts. I am Also Pro XP, and anti Vista.I rather have a Q6600 with 4GB of ram running XP either way, it will run better. Right out of the box, from my experience, both load slower.

The OSX one works BETTER.

not as good as a Mac

Tawm: 4. UAC can again, be disabled, but its like Mac's equivalent, only better.
You: Better...better? How is it better!?

My opinion is that the OSX's search looked much better.
I did read what you said, you're pro-Apple, not pro-Windows, because you would have the sense to realise that Vista is better than XP in all ways possible and that you're arguing with no real point because everyone has counter-argued your points. You either have a terrible laptop/desktop or really have bad troubles getting to grips with Vista, even though it is incredibly easy :/ My 80 year old nan finds Vista easier to use than XP, and she's terrible! Your arguments seem to have no real source and I question if you really have used Vista :/ You have no justifiable information to be anti-Vista because what you seem to complain about is wrong or justfiable. All new systems tend to use alot more space or memory, look at past Windows systems :/

I think someone is a pettifogger, concerning themselves with trivial details ;)

Johno
05-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Apple and Microsoft are big boys now, they don't need everyone arguing trying to defend them! Do you honestly think they care if you, one measly user stops using their product?

Anyway, I use both and prefer both. I like Windows, it what I am used to and it just works. But the same can be said for the Mac, I only have had my mac a week so I don't really have the same experience as others but I have to say the compatibility with OSX is great - I plug something in and it works, Im not saying that the same doesn't happen on Vista - I haven't used Vistal in a proper manner, only when at computer stores etc and what I saw was an OS that did look pretty good but also seemed to work well.

Me and my friend (who is quite a big Apple fanboy) even decided that although certain things on each of the operating systems may perform better, neither would be where it was without the other. The fact that Vista didn't go down too well when launched, poses a problem and thats really why people dont think Vista is any good.

I mean as I sit and type this I am on my mac, what would be the bloody difference if I was on windows? In this first week, I haven't done anything that windows couldnt do - but the mac does it very well and makes it look flashy at the same time and Microsoft kinda picked up on this with Vista and tried to make it more flashy.

Anyway, to wrap this post up - I use both, and like both. I couldn't choose between them, I use Windows for totally different reasons to why I use Mac. I use a mac now because I had the money to get the computer, and I wanted a mac. I could have undoubtedly gotten a much better Windows PC but I wanted to try a Mac.

I think they both excel in their own specific areas and simply, thats why I am planning running both on my mac when I can.

Recursion
05-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I rather have a Q6600 with 4GB of ram running XP either way, it will run better. Right out of the box, from my experience, both load slower.

But to use all 4GB you need XP x64, which has crap software and driver support compared to Vista x64 ;)

HotelUser
05-08-2008, 05:33 PM
But to use all 4GB you need XP x64, which has crap software and driver support compared to Vista x64 ;)

x64 xp is sexy.

I did read what you said, you're pro-Apple, not pro-Windows, because you would have the sense to realise that Vista is better than XP in all ways possible and that you're arguing with no real point because everyone has counter-argued your points. You either have a terrible laptop/desktop or really have bad troubles getting to grips with Vista, even though it is incredibly easy :/ My 80 year old nan finds Vista easier to use than XP, and she's terrible! Your arguments seem to have no real source and I question if you really have used Vista :/ You have no justifiable information to be anti-Vista because what you seem to complain about is wrong or justfiable. All new systems tend to use alot more space or memory, look at past Windows systems :/

I think someone is a pettifogger, concerning themselves with trivial details ;)

That is the most observed thing I have ever seen you say rofl. Because you don't like my opinion you categorize me as a Mac fanboy.

There's no need to be anti-Vista though, I understand you prefer XP and fair enough but it's unjust to be anti-Vista IMO.

I am not "burn vista now!" I mean I prefer XP.

Recursion
05-08-2008, 05:48 PM
And so Orinoco or w.e his name is didn't close the thread...

DrLacero
05-08-2008, 09:19 PM

It's very possible and I'm trying to do it on VMWare but the installer for the new workstation isn't working so instead posting a screenshot of it in dxdiag, just read this page (http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/).

Recursion
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes, that all exists, but its been proven that actually, games still run in DirextX 9.

GommeInc
06-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh I heard about that, it sort of calls itself DX10 but it's really just DX9.

Also, one way to make XP games work with Vista is turning the compatibility mode to XP SP2 and setting it to run as administrator. My SimCity 4 game works now because of that, but I'm not entirely sure what running an administrator does :P

newWORLDorder
06-08-2008, 02:34 PM
These Mac vs PC threads are no longer amusing IMO. They cause fights and will never be sorted out. Cant we just call it quits rofl!

Holofoil
07-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm not as tech savy as a lot of people here, I just judge them on basic pros and cons. Whenever I'm on my windows it just screws stuff up, and whenever there are errors, trying to fix em screws it up, and I'm left clueless (cos im a n00b lol) but when I'm on Mac it seems so much easier solving problems.

I would close it but I just lost vip sorry.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!