PDA

View Full Version : New Mac user: New Questions +rep

Holofoil
01-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Hey, I'll give +rep to all best answers

1. Is there an equivalent of Paint on Mac?

2. I've got Adobe Studio 8 on my windows desktop PC - is there a way of moving them from there to my new Mac? I still have the CDs too.

3. Should I get a different browser to Safari? I was thinking of firefox.

4. There's a 'stack' (i think it's called that) on my dock, called Downloads. What do I do if I want to remove them from the stack? I just downloaded messenger and I'm not sure if deleting the download thing will affect it.

Recursion
01-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Im not sure on the others, but on number 2 you probably need a new version for Mac.

Holofoil
01-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Im not sure on the others, but on number 2 you probably need a new version for Mac.

I think it works for both mac and windows... or is that not possible? I didn't tell them I was using windows when I bought it.

Nereo
01-08-2008, 09:06 AM
1. I dont know but if there isnt Paint.net woo :D
2. Cant remember the question :P
3. Yes use Firefox
4. Dunno - Google it

Recursion
01-08-2008, 09:25 AM
I think it works for both mac and windows... or is that not possible? I didn't tell them I was using windows when I bought it.

Pop the disk in and try it, chances are it will only have a Windows version on though.

Shawnstra
01-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah use firefox, I'm also on mac and mainly use firefox, i'm more familiar with it personally.

xxMATTGxx
01-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey, I'll give +rep to all best answers

1. Is there an equivalent of Paint on Mac?

2. I've got Adobe Studio 8 on my windows desktop PC - is there a way of moving them from there to my new Mac? I still have the CDs too.

3. Should I get a different browser to Safari? I was thinking of firefox.

4. There's a 'stack' (i think it's called that) on my dock, called Downloads. What do I do if I want to remove them from the stack? I just downloaded messenger and I'm not sure if deleting the download thing will affect it.

1. Not sure.

2. You will most likely need to get the Mac Version, best bet is to look about on the Adobe website or contact them.

3. Safari on Mac is a great browser but if you really want you can get Firefox / Opera.

4. Removing the stacks does not delete the files in that folder, just right click the stack and click "Remove from dock."

Nick.
02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
1. Not sure.

2. You will most likely need to get the Mac Version, best bet is to look about on the Adobe website or contact them.

3. Safari on Mac is a great browser but if you really want you can get Firefox / Opera.

4. Removing the stacks does not delete the files in that folder, just right click the stack and click "Remove from dock."
He's talking about removing the item from the stack I think? :S

Just open your Downloads folder (in Finder under places), find what you want to delete and delete it. It will be gone from the stack, if you've moved the MSN app from the Downloads to Applications or if it was an installer then you can delete it. Just a tip, Adium is a much better alternative to MSN messenger. It supports MSN accounts thought! www.adiumx.org :)

1. Skitch is a great program, do a Google search or click it in my sig.
2. You will most definitely need a Mac compatible version, if you bought the version for Windows I don't see there's anything wrong to pirate a Mac version seems as Adobe software is so expensive.
3. Safari is really, the top browser for OS X and fits in perfectly, however Firefox and Opera, as well as Camino is available. Camino renders pages the same as Firefox does as it uses the Gecko version, it just suits OS X a bit better. After Camino crashing 3 times on my first use I decided not to use it but I don't think anyone else has that problem?
4. As above.

Holofoil
02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Right I've just checked the CDs - they're compatible with both mac and windows. If I put the CD in, will I need the code to activate it? Does the code work more than once (I can't believe it would since that defies the point....).

darkchicken101
02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Right I've just checked the CDs - they're compatible with both mac and windows. If I put the CD in, will I need the code to activate it? Does the code work more than once (I can't believe it would since that defies the point....).

You will need to deactivate it on your old machine before you activate it on your new one.

Holofoil
03-08-2008, 02:38 PM
will i need the code then?

Recursion
03-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Yes. *makes longer*

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!