PDA

View Full Version : Reliable laptop brands

mangle
02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Who out there are reliable?
I don't want a laptop that will collapse after 4 days.

I saw a Sony I quite liked, they any good?

And also, for Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc what do I need to purchase with my laptop? Student, Office, etc.

Moh
02-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Sony would be a good choice :)

Meanies
02-08-2008, 03:10 PM
acer is good!!
My brother's dell seems to be fine too

mangle
02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I've heard awful things about acer o.O

Jordan,
02-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Asus and dell

RyanDOT
02-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Dell is the best laptop brand ever :D

Andys
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Sont, Acer, Dell, Toshiba.

mangle
02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Anyone think Sony are any good? It was a decent price for a lot of gear thats the thing.

Recursion
02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Sonys are like Macs, your paying for a brand!

Dell, HP, ASUS.

Acer are cheap for a reason

mangle
02-08-2008, 03:45 PM
HP are looking good as are Dell, the Sony one was good.

And also, will most of them pick my wireless up?

Recursion
02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
All of them will if they have built in wireless.

Hazza
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Sony is one the best obviously - All song gear is fantastic.
I would also recommend Dell, my family has 3 laptops and they all have no problems.

Jordy
02-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Sony laptops have usually good spec's but I'd be tempted not to buy one because of all the software you get free with it. When I get a new computer, I expect just the Windows OS, I'll then update it myself, create my own preferences and install the applications I want (Firefox, MSN, iTunes, uTorrent etc...). When you get a Sony Vaio laptop, it comes with about 25 Sony applications already installed, they ALL want updating and you have to sign up to so much, and the thing is, your never going to use any of it and they're slowing the computer down so much. The computer never works at it's true potential with all that **** on there, and if it's not working at it's best when it's brand new, what hope does it stand for the rest of it's days?

Sony's laptops aren't what they used to be, they used to be classy but now the Vaio range is about £400-£3000 which is ridiculous, you may as well get a PowerBook if your buying a laptop for bragging rights these days :P

I've never had any trouble with Dell laptops, www.ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com) seem to be doing some good deals atm.

Which Office applications do you want, make a list of the one's you need, you said Word, Excel and Powerpoint, and they're included in every Office pack, but if you want something like Outlook you'll have to get one of the better packs. I'm afraid Office doesn't come with the computer and costs quite a lot for what it is :P

mangle
02-08-2008, 04:47 PM
That was a fantastic help Jordy, can't rep you though :(
That has put me off a little, Dells are what I'm looking at. Damn PC world only have fully loaded 700 quid ones!

Recursion
02-08-2008, 04:53 PM
buy direct from Dell.co.uk ;)

Yoshimitsui
02-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Dell is what i would say :)

BlueTango
02-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Packard Bell
Acer
Dell

Very good makes :)

mangle
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Thankyou all very much, going with a dell.

ONE Final thing, we got office 2003 for my current pc (XP) Can I just take it and put it on my laptop aswell or will I have to buy student?

Jordy
02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Thankyou all very much, going with a dell.

ONE Final thing, we got office 2003 for my current pc (XP) Can I just take it and put it on my laptop aswell or will I have to buy student?If you've still got the disk and serial, it would probably work but not guaranteed. I had a legitimate copy of the Student Office 07, but it didn't have Outlook so I just found a torrent for Office 07 professional and it was fully downloaded within an hour, then I just found a key on the internet easily and it worked :P

joshuar
02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Only if you have the Office 2003 disk then it will work :)

Nick.
02-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Acer's come loaded with piles of junk ("bloatware")

Apple.

mangle
02-08-2008, 05:44 PM
If you've still got the disk and serial, it would probably work but not guaranteed. I had a legitimate copy of the Student Office 07, but it didn't have Outlook so I just found a torrent for Office 07 professional and it was fully downloaded within an hour, then I just found a key on the internet easily and it worked :P

Only if you have the Office 2003 disk then it will work :)
Even though it isn't designed for Vista? Cos that will save me one hell of a lot of money. And it doesnt matter it'd be on two machines?

Recursion
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
2003 works on Vista, and it may work, it may not, try it.

Seriously, from what I have heard, Macs aren't that reliable.

Jordy
02-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Seriously, from what I have heard, Macs aren't that reliable.Yeah I used MS Office 03 on Vista before I got Office 07, I even had Office 2000 on Vista which came with my computer rofl, even that worked.

RyanDOT
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
When your a student in University, you be able to use your card and buy Microsoft 2008 Package which includes Word/Excel and etc. for just 30 quid, so you be saving alot.

Why not get a torrent or download Microsoft 2007.

Thanks for the +Rep.
I return :D

Nick.
02-08-2008, 06:30 PM

Seriously, from what I have heard, Macs aren't that reliable.
Well hear this, Mac's are incredibly reliable.

Meanies
02-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I've heard awful things about acer o.O

Mine's been fine in the 2 and a half years I've had it.

Zak
02-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Toshiba, only because it's my laptop.. never had anything wrong with it:)

darkchicken101
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I would say Sony, HP and Dell.

Also - Basically all laptops come with bloatware pre-installed by the manufacturer, because they get paid to include it. It can, however, be uninstalled.

GommeInc
03-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Sony is a good brand, and HP, and Acer :) Not sure about Dell, but I've heard good things.

Acer's come loaded with piles of junk ("bloatware")

Apple.
Technically, that iLife or whatever crap that comes with all Apple computers and laptops is considered awful bloatware, not many people use ALL the tools in there ;) Acer do have pre-installed stuff, but it doesn't add up to the size of iLife and can easily be removed.

And Macs are just as bad as any other computer company, when they go wrong they are incredibly unreliable. I know someone who's Mac deleted it's own OS. How is that possible? Just incredibly unreliable, because when they go wrong, they go badly wrong. And Apple weren't at all useful, so she's binning it :P

Nick.
03-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Sony is a good brand, and HP, and Acer :) Not sure about Dell, but I've heard good things.

Technically, that iLife or whatever crap that comes with all Apple computers and laptops is considered awful bloatware, not many people use ALL the tools in there ;) Acer do have pre-installed stuff, but it doesn't add up to the size of iLife and can easily be removed.

And Macs are just as bad as any other computer company, when they go wrong they are incredibly unreliable. I know someone who's Mac deleted it's own OS. How is that possible? Just incredibly unreliable, because when they go wrong, they go badly wrong. And Apple weren't at all useful, so she's binning it :P
Sorry but I find your whole post pure **. First of all, the software included, 'iLife', is just like when you get Windows Movie Maker, Windows Photo Gallery and all that other stuff installed. Plus, if you don't want iLife, you drag the folder to the trash, simple as that. No loading un-install applications and waiting 10 minutes to un-install and such. Also, the iLife suite is incredibly useful and easy to use, plus if you have a lot of programs on your Mac, it doesn't bloat it, as it does on Windows. It doesn't 'slow it down'. All Acer's pre-installed crap is useless (pretty much) and uses a lot of memory.

Yes yes, you say that in every post (in the other one it was your Aunty's MacBook) but OS X will not delete itself, the user must have done something wrong, very wrong. No way would OS X delete itself, she must be computer illiterate if that's what she told you. You also say Apple wasn't any help? Well everytime I've had a problem Apple has been very helpful, so let me have a word with them and we'll see shall we?

If the OS deleted itself anyway, why would she bin the whole computer, she'd either re-install it with on of the discs included or try her hardest to get a refund, you wouldn't throw (depending on model) £699 in the bin. Sorry, but who with common sense would?

Recursion
03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
She could have done:

su rm -rf /haha!

Holofoil
03-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Macbook

GommeInc
03-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Sorry but I find your whole post pure **. First of all, the software included, 'iLife', is just like when you get Windows Movie Maker, Windows Photo Gallery and all that other stuff installed. Plus, if you don't want iLife, you drag the folder to the trash, simple as that. No loading un-install applications and waiting 10 minutes to un-install and such. Also, the iLife suite is incredibly useful and easy to use, plus if you have a lot of programs on your Mac, it doesn't bloat it, as it does on Windows. It doesn't 'slow it down'. All Acer's pre-installed crap is useless (pretty much) and uses a lot of memory.

Yes yes, you say that in every post (in the other one it was your Aunty's MacBook) but OS X will not delete itself, the user must have done something wrong, very wrong. No way would OS X delete itself, she must be computer illiterate if that's what she told you. You also say Apple wasn't any help? Well everytime I've had a problem Apple has been very helpful, so let me have a word with them and we'll see shall we?

If the OS deleted itself anyway, why would she bin the whole computer, she'd either re-install it with on of the discs included or try her hardest to get a refund, you wouldn't throw (depending on model) £699 in the bin. Sorry, but who with common sense would?
It did, and Apple glorifies itself with how easy it is to use and how things like that should not happen (although that might be dumb fan boys). She's not incredibly illiterate either because she uses it all the time and understood what Apple said she should do about it, it's just a shame that they told her the wrong information and said "That could not possibly happen on a Mac, you must of installed something over it." As I said, she turned it on and it wasn't there, just a black screen with aload of writing. It must of deleted itself, how could you do that with a Mac?!

And she binned it because it was useless anyway, when it did work. She doesn't really like PCs or Macs, but she just didn't like the Mac in particular because of this. She even called iLife junk which it could be seen as, pre-installed rubbish which some people out there may not use to it's full advantage :P Plus "binned" is an expression, it's actually gathering dust somewhere.

And the pre-installed software on my Acer laptop, and it's incredibly slow, got immediately removed... It didn't even come with alot :/

habtasia
03-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Your all wrong!

Packard Bell! Thats what im using now ;)

Nick.
03-08-2008, 11:30 PM
It did, and Apple glorifies itself with how easy it is to use and how things like that should not happen (although that might be dumb fan boys). She's not incredibly illiterate either because she uses it all the time and understood what Apple said she should do about it, it's just a shame that they told her the wrong information and said "That could not possibly happen on a Mac, you must of installed something over it." As I said, she turned it on and it wasn't there, just a black screen with aload of writing. It must of deleted itself, how could you do that with a Mac?!

And she binned it because it was useless anyway, when it did work. She doesn't really like PCs or Macs, but she just didn't like the Mac in particular because of this. She even called iLife junk which it could be seen as, pre-installed rubbish which some people out there may not use to it's full advantage :P Plus "binned" is an expression, it's actually gathering dust somewhere.

And the pre-installed software on my Acer laptop, and it's incredibly slow, got immediately removed... It didn't even come with alot :/
Send it to me in the post and see if I can work something out ;) LOL

Colin-Roberts
03-08-2008, 11:43 PM
apple nor windows never break unless it's a user error..

benno123
04-08-2008, 12:44 AM
...why the hell would you throw a mac in the bin when you can simply reinstall it? It's obviously a user error anyway. Macs are one of the best computers there are. They're extremely reliable and last a lot longer than any PC will.

This is an acer computer (desktop) that I'm using at the moment. It didn't come with much on it, but most of the stuff that was on it is unncessary crap.

I'd say either Dell or HP.

xxMATTGxx
04-08-2008, 06:04 AM
I agree ^^

They even give you the discs to reinstall it! Some dodgy user error if the OS deleted.

Recursion
04-08-2008, 07:51 AM
...why the hell would you throw a mac in the bin when you can simply reinstall it? It's obviously a user error anyway. Macs are one of the best computers there are. They're extremely reliable and last a lot longer than any PC will.

This is an acer computer (desktop) that I'm using at the moment. It didn't come with much on it, but most of the stuff that was on it is unncessary crap.

I'd say either Dell or HP.

That is total fricken bull ****.

mangle
04-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Dell are dirt cheap in tesco, I may check them out :O

Nick.
04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
That is total fricken bull ****.
It isn't... My last computer lasted about 3 years, that was top of the spec when I bought it. My Dad has a PowerBook from about 5 years ago and it's still going fine, running Leopard. Now you tell me, if you bought a Laptop five years ago with 512MB RAM and a crappy graphics card, would it run Vista? I don't think so. It actually made his system smoother and a small bit faster!

Hayd93
04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
It isn't... My last computer lasted about 3 years, that was top of the spec when I bought it. My Dad has a PowerBook from about 5 years ago and it's still going fine, running Leopard. Now you tell me, if you bought a Laptop five years ago with 512MB RAM and a crappy graphics card, would it run Vista? I don't think so. It actually made his system smoother and a small bit faster!

We still have a power mac G4 gigabite ethernet working like a dream still at our house.

Anway on topic i would go HP or apple.

Nick.
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Which was a Windows PC (Where I say my last computer) incase anybody didn't realise. :)

xxMATTGxx
04-08-2008, 01:27 PM
I had enough of this. Nick, stop going on. Both have their bloody advantages and disadvantages. Yes Im a mac user and I love using the operating system, but these threads where you go on about mac, mac, mac. Its really annoying some members and its getting to annoy me as well.

Recursion
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Pwn'd.

mangle
04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
HI
Back to laptops
Complete noob, BUT I do know my dad used to have to shove a card in the side of his laptop to make it go wireless.
Now whilst checking out the specs
Dell™ Wireless 1395 802.11b/g Mini-Card - Europe - Celeron Dual Core Processors
That appeared! I don't need a card to shove in do I?

Hayd93
04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
HI
Back to laptops
Complete noob, BUT I do know my dad used to have to shove a card in the side of his laptop to make it go wireless.
Now whilst checking out the specs
Dell™ Wireless 1395 802.11b/g Mini-Card - Europe - Celeron Dual Core Processors
That appeared! I don't need a card to shove in do I?

Nope no card needed. I take it your dads one is quite old as most laptops now have it built in.

iTech
04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Sonys are like Macs, your paying for a brand!

Dell, HP, ASUS.

Acer are cheap for a reason

Exactly.

For the stuff you need - Microsoft Office yeah, student or enterprise edition. :)

Nick.
04-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I had enough of this. Nick, stop going on. Both have their bloody advantages and disadvantages. Yes Im a mac user and I love using the operating system, but these threads where you go on about mac, mac, mac. Its really annoying some members and its getting to annoy me as well.
Whatever Matt, I prove my point and enjoy debates.

Put me on your ignore list if you don't like it babes ;)

GommeInc
04-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Send it to me in the post and see if I can work something out ;) LOL
Lol you'll just say "Ooo it's broken, I'll just throw it away." You'll probably say that on the Macbook :P

Nick.
04-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Lol you'll just say "Ooo it's broken, I'll just throw it away." You'll probably say that on the Macbook :P
LOL, I'm sorry but I couldn't really make sense of the last bit of your post?? haha :P

Just put a re-install disc in it and find the correct letter to boot, if it's going to never get used send it to me, hate to see a good laptop get wasted! LOL!

GommeInc
04-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I think she tried the CD, but I don't know if it worked :S And these threads are rather annoying, because Macs and PCs are good in their own little ways, although I'm more inclined to PCs for price, support and the general look and feel behind it, but that's just me :P Doesn't mean my opinion is the right one though :P

mangle
05-08-2008, 06:01 PM
429 Quid for a Dell 1525 Inspiron from Tesco. 3gb ram and 250gb Hdd

Redacted
05-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Acer is not reliable.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!