PDA

View Full Version : Learning PHP/MySQL.

Recursion
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know any decent PHP books to learn from?

Don't say use internet tutorials and crap, because I for one can't learn from those, I learn by having a book in front of me, covering everything, and tbh, I believe you can't really learn much by cobbling together bits and bobs from around the internet.

Thanks

Moh
07-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know any decent PHP books to learn from?

Don't say use internet tutorials and crap, because I for one can't learn from those, I learn by having a book in front of me, covering everything, and tbh, I believe you can't really learn much by cobbling together bits and bobs from around the internet.

Thanks
I don't think many people on here actually studied it. Just learnt as they went along.
Starting from editing simple scripts, to making simple scripts. Then once you get the basics, you can push your self.

With a few things, you have to be good at maths though :P

The best place is http://www.php.net. They explain how functions work :)

Leetzgirl
07-08-2008, 01:31 PM
PHP for dummies is quite good

Excellent
07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't really recommend a book to be honest. Start out downloading some scripts or going on tutorial websites and typing all the code out in your text editor. Most of these tutorials have the comments by the side of them so you can see what each function or variable does :) Although I may get flamed for this is you want to start out at the basics techtuts would be a good place to start.

Source
07-08-2008, 01:57 PM
PHP for Dummies is great but you don't need it. PHP on a basic level is really easy and places like http://www.tizag.com/ are good.

Recursion
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I understand basic things, can fix errors, add code, move it about etc... but I want to go more in depth and start writing my own scripts. Thanks for the replies so far guys!:)

Dentafrice
07-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Well don't use a book then, books never help.. as you get bored.. and it keeps telling you the same thing over and over.. and explaning something you will never need. Like making a cat shop.

Figure out what you are going to make, and use Google to figure out how to do that.

When developing something, I always draw the structure out, and write down the methods I will probably use.

Johno
07-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I have "The PHP Anthology - Object Oriented PHP Solutions (Volume 1)" - Its alright I guess but its a bit boring and to be honest, I wouldn't say I have learned much from it yet.

Perhaps look at sitepoint? :)

RichardKnox
11-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I have "The PHP Anthology - Object Oriented PHP Solutions (Volume 1)" - Its alright I guess but its a bit boring and to be honest, I wouldn't say I have learned much from it yet.

Perhaps look at sitepoint? :)

I agree with Johno! 100%. The PHP Anthology is alright for snippets of code, but not a book that you would sit and study if you understand. Check out Sitepoint though as they normally have a good few books.

Calon
12-08-2008, 06:43 AM
You have to enjoy reading to study php from a book, because I'd get bored within the first few pages, I used to download e-Books to study PHP from and never got past the middle as I got bored.

lolwut
13-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Er. I have a book I got for £1 from some random backstreet book shop called "PHP For Developers", or something... But I remember it being extremely helpful. Might wanna google that. :)

Derbel
17-08-2008, 01:13 PM
try looking in your local library, theres sometimes some handy coding books in there :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!