PDA

View Full Version : WightWire - New Local Wire Network

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Hello all,

I am Darren Toogood of Bright Wight Images. Bright Wight Images is looking to expand the network, and introduce a new project called 'WightWire'. Let me explain a little about what WightWire aims to achieve;

• WightWire looks to produce an online network for singles and companys to access on a pay-as-you-go system

• A collection of images from the local area of the Isle of Wight would be displayed, covering news, events and stock images

• Users of the network would be able to access thousands of photos, to download and use freely, for a small charge

• More photographers would be welcomed to the site, from the local community to expand on the image network and supply different styles

• 10% from every image sold would go back to the location/company of which the image is of

I am here today to seek a Web Developer. I have had two offers for free development of this script - these offers are likley to be accepted, however I am looking at other options. I am not looking to directly inject cash into this project, however I am more than happy to let go a % of the overall profits, and/or a ownership deal for WightWire. WightWire is not only limited to the Isle of Wight. If the launch of WightWire goes well, there is a chance to expand across the country, with local photographers contributing to the website. The opportunities with this project are endless.

If you are interested in taking up the role as a Web Developer, and/or would like to discuss the features of the website with me, please use the following forms of contact. You will be directly connected with me, and not any other member of the network.

Telephone: *removed*
Email: [email protected]
MSN: [email protected]

Thank you for taking your time to read this thread, and I hope we have a positive outcome from this.

Darren Toogood
Bright Wight Images

Edited by SyrupyMonkey (Forum Super Moderator): Removed in compliance of rule A6.

blanky12!
13-08-2008, 10:44 AM
yet again, you ask people to work for you for free?

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Incorrect.

I am offering a % of profits from the script (not the site), however I can also provide a % of ownership of WightWire [only]. I may not be offering direct injection of cash, however a cash outcome.

I have two offers on the table already, because of the great potential this has, on top of the already successful Bright Wight Images. This means more offers may come from this advertisement.

Mistajam
13-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Can I just ask how will the script be making money?

Calon
13-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Sorry, don't take this too bad but Bright Wight images or whatever is failing, why do you think this won't fail?

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 12:20 PM
umm hang on? Please explain how Bright Wight Images is failing?

blanky12!
13-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree with Calon..

It is.

Calon
13-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Because I heard of the company from a tiny discussion board, yet from the board no sales that I've known have taken place between your company and other board users.

Tell me how you aren't failing?

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I am not looking to make any sales? I am building up my experience, and a portfolio - that is what matters at the moment.

Invent
13-08-2008, 12:41 PM
For free development, the developer would be looking to receive a higher portion of profits than you (or perhaps equal - 50%).

Excellent1
13-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Possibly more invent. Developers charge per hour for work.

Invent
13-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Possibly more invent. Developers charge per hour for work.I didn't mean they should get 50%, I said basically that's the minmum the developer should get seeing as they can easily develop the system theirselves put it on another website and keep all the profits if they really wanted to :P.

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Indeed they could, however they are not the photographer, and nor have they got the contacts or the location ;) Tbh 20% of the profits would be a good amount.

If a 1000 images were sold for £5, that is £5000.

£5000 / 20%

£1000 for Developer
£500 for Location
£3500 for WightWire

That is for only 1000 images sold. Even if that was a year, £1000 is still a lot of money for a developer here on Habbox.

myke
13-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Indeed they could, however they are not the photographer, and nor have they got the contacts or the location ;) Tbh 20% of the profits would be a good amount.

If a 1000 images were sold for £5, that is £5000.

£5000 / 20%

£1000 for Developer
£500 for Location
£3500 for WightWire

That is for only 1000 images sold. Even if that was a year, £1000 is still a lot of money for a developer here on Habbox.

What you mean is, £3500 for you?

Good luck.

TBH thinking about it.
If you have no developer you're going no where, and if they don't have a photographer, they're not going anywhere, unless they are multi-talented.

So you should get equal?

Plux
13-08-2008, 01:25 PM
What you mean is, £3500 for you?

Good luck.

TBH thinking about it.
If you have no developer you're going no where, and if they don't have a photographer, they're not going anywhere, unless they are multi-talented.

So you should get equal?

Yup...

Darren - as quoted by you:

Anyone can take a good picture.

Not every can make a great system though.
The developer should earn more. As all you're doing is snapping.

MrPinkPanther
13-08-2008, 01:25 PM
nor have they got the contacts
And you have? All you need to do is ring local businesses. You arent a professional Darren, what contacts do you have more than the rest of us?

nor have they got the location ;) Tbh 20% of the profits would be a good amount.
Surely mainland Britain has a lot more businesses etc than the isle of wight? If anything your location is a downside because its harder access than everywhere else.

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 01:40 PM
This is the amount I am offering to a Habbox Developer. The local developer, who have shown an interest and is also a photographer, would earn 45%, the same as me.

@ Plux - I do not snap.
@ Rock - Isle of Wight is tourism centeral, therefore images are needed throughout the year for a variety of reasons.

www.brightwightimages.com/wightwire.html

myke
13-08-2008, 01:43 PM
This is the amount I am offering to a Habbox Developer. The local developer, who have shown an interest and is also a photographer, would earn 45%, the same as me.

@ Plux - I do not snap.
@ Rock - Isle of Wight is tourism centeral, therefore images are needed throughout the year for a variety of reasons.

www.brightwightimages.com/wightwire.html

Uhh, I hate to burst your bubble yourself and the local developer can't have 45%..

=
110 %

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 01:45 PM
If I work alongside James, the local developer, we would have 10% put into the kitty, and not 20% given to location.

MrPinkPanther
13-08-2008, 01:46 PM
No, the type of tourism the Isle of wight attracts is only applicable in the summer months. Images are however needed throughout the year for NON tourist businesses because they arent dependent on the weather.

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 01:47 PM
We would also be looking to aim at the news and event market, as well as stock photography. Newspapers are always needing photographs, as well as magazines.

Invent
13-08-2008, 01:47 PM
To be honest aswell, I higly doubt anyone (well, I know I wouldn't) would choose to purchase photos taken by an amateur rather than ones taken by reputable photographers on sites such as iStockPhoto with good reputation.

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Invent, I am an iStock seller for a start, and I have a good reputation amongst photography on the Island.

As I said before, James is also a photographer, and we both have a variety of contacts within Island photography. We are both more than capable of building up a database of images, and if needed we can bring in more photographers. I have already started building up a database of images, covering Island events during this summer.

iStock also does not cover Island events, where newspapers can log into the system, download and image and publish it?

Invent
13-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Invent, I am an iStock seller for a start.Thus why I said "with good reputation." ;)

and I have a good reputation amongst photography on the Island.

Wait, so you're ONLY targeting the population of the Isle of Wight? As if so, that's not a business plan I'd be interested in.

MrPinkPanther
13-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Invent, I am an iStock seller for a start, and I have a good reputation amongst photography on the Island.
You only just set up your photography 'company'.

cocaine
13-08-2008, 01:54 PM
you seem to be making websites every day :S

do they ever last? :rolleyes:

DarrenToogood
Indeed we are targeting the Isle of Wight, hence 'WightWire'. Providing images of the Island news, events and stock to island businesses.

By all means mainland users can download images, however our main target would be to get images used by hotels, businesses, newspapers, magazines, websites and event publications.

Calon
You only just set up your photography 'company'.
You don't need to be in a company to re-sell iStock images?

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Calon, I do not 're-sell' iStock images.

I sell my images on iStock.

Funya Chin
13-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Darren, how many iStock images have you sold?

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 01:57 PM
None.

I have the status of iStock seller, however I have only submitted 1 images to iStock, which is currently pending.

MrPinkPanther
13-08-2008, 01:58 PM
You don't need to be in a company to re-sell iStock images?
I was on about the reputation bit :)

Calon
13-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I was on about the reputation bit :)
oh right.

@ Darren:

Oh, alright.

cocaine
13-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I sell my images on iStock.

Invent, I am an iStock seller for a start,

Darren, how many iStock images have you sold?

None.

LOL, if you haven't sold any and don't have any images to sell, how could you possibly call yourself an istock photograph seller? :rolleyes:

Plux
13-08-2008, 02:03 PM
LOL, if you haven't sold any and don't have any images to sell, how could you possibly call yourself an istock photograph seller? :rolleyes:

With a good reputation lol!

Now now, Darren beats us all with his media experiance.
He ran Fusion! & He's an iStock Seller who's yet to be bought from!

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 02:03 PM
because I have passed the application and I have seller status. I just have not uploaded any pictures.

fyi I did not run Fusion, I was just a designer.

Plux
13-08-2008, 02:04 PM
because I have passed the application and I have seller status. I just have not uploaded any pictures.

So you designed a magazine, but can't design a website. :eusa_clap

blanky12!
13-08-2008, 02:05 PM
So you designed a magazine, but can't design a website. :eusa_clap
LOL owned'

cocaine
13-08-2008, 02:06 PM

let me reiterate - you haven't physically sold any, and you have not to sell.

it's like me selling computers, although i havent sold any and i dont have any to sell :rolleyes:

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 02:07 PM
ok, point taken. I have the seller status, therefore I call myself a seller.

MrPinkPanther
13-08-2008, 02:10 PM
let me reiterate - you haven't physically sold any, and you have not to sell.

it's like me selling computers, although i havent sold any and i dont have any to sell :rolleyes:
Nah its like being registered on eBay and calling yourself an eBay seller but you havent sold or got anything to sell :)

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Correct Rock, however unlike eBay, iStock took me 3 months!

Plux
13-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Right Darren - you have the title of seller, but haven't sold anything.

I'm a power ranger, but I dont have the suit. :rolleyes:

Invent
13-08-2008, 02:13 PM
O.K, lets leave the iStockSeller status thing alone now :P

We've had our fun, lets not get this thread closed :)

Calon
13-08-2008, 02:14 PM
blanky12! Why comment if you have nothing to say other than "LOL OWNED".

I have a mixed opinion as you have to get approved by iStock, but he hasn't yet sold any photos, so basically you could call him a trialist?

[I'm not taking sides, but It's a fair arguement]

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 02:18 PM
The way iStock works, is you have to go through a quiz, provide passport ID, then submit 3 images all at the best quality. After that, you have to upload images, which then get reviewed.

It is very hard.

Plux
blanky12! Why comment if you have nothing to say other than "LOL OWNED".

I have a mixed opinion as you have to get approved by iStock, but he hasn't yet sold any photos, so basically you could call him a trialist?

[I'm not taking sides, but It's a fair arguement]

Not really. He isn't being tested about his skill. It's about how many he can/will sell.

DarrenToogood
The way iStock works, is you have to go through a quiz, provide passport ID, then submit 3 images all at the best quality. After that, you have to upload images, which then get reviewed.

It is very hard.

Calon
13-08-2008, 02:19 PM
So you are sort of being trialed? :S

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 02:21 PM
No.

I have the seller status, it is just a matter of submitting images they will accept. Like I said, the quality is at the highest.

I am a seller for life - I can not be 'kicked out' - I am not a trialist.

blanky12!
13-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Right Darren - you have the title of seller, but haven't sold anything.

I'm a power ranger, but I dont have the suit. :rolleyes:
mega morthin time :P

yah yah, :P

ontopic, Darren, I don't think this will be a big hit.

Funya Chin
13-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Not if you don't sell lololol.

Plux
13-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Darren if you don't produce of course they'll kick you out...

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 03:01 PM
No they won't. I have uploaded one image, its pending at the moment.

Plux
13-08-2008, 03:06 PM
No they won't. I have uploaded one image, its pending at the moment.

You are not untouchable. So please stop acting as if you are.
My step-uncle is an iStock seller. If you do not produce enough images in a certain time, you will be removed.

DaveTaylor
13-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I am tempted to apply to become a "seller" to see if it's as hard as darren says.

Plux
13-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I am tempted to apply to become a "seller" to see if it's as hard as darren says.

Ahahahahahahah.

Tarantula
13-08-2008, 04:03 PM
You even said it yourself...

Best thing to do, is to scrap the whole idea.

:D

had to be said!

MrPinkPanther
13-08-2008, 04:10 PM
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7610/photobm3.png (http://imageshack.us)

I'm on my way to becoming an iStock seller.

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 04:15 PM
With images like that, no way

MrPinkPanther
13-08-2008, 04:19 PM
With images like that, no way
Ill explain why I took them for you.

Image 1: I used a vxpq430 lense on this shot to give building like perspective and blend it into the background. I think it shows that shampoo is perhaps the essence of society

Image 2: I used a t19pf lense on this. Its a flower

Image 3: This is my most compelling shot I think. I put the bright colourful shampoo bottle on a harsh white background to show the difference between them. I was also intrigued by the free haircut, unfortunatly now I realise its a load of crap.

Source
13-08-2008, 04:22 PM
haha. Brilliant.

DarrenToogood
13-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Stop talking out your rear ;)

MrPinkPanther
13-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Im now offering the shampoo bottle pictures on Tshirts, get em while they're hot.

Matagascar
15-08-2008, 07:07 AM
If you're seeking potential investors and/or business partners you really should provide access to some sort of business plan.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!