PDA

View Full Version : Bridging? (360)

Joe!
17-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Right, bought a 360 the other day, am trying to bridge my wireless connection from my pc to my xbox via ethernet, as i do not want to fork out on a wireless adapter for the xbox. I am running vista, i've been told i need to to right click my wireless connection and allow sharing of internet, but there is no sharing tab. My xbox does not appear on the manage network connections panel. I have checked the device manager and under network adapters, it is only showing my wireless card i put in earlier this year. Is that not letting me use my ethernet port? Its so confusing. I hope i have explained well enough http://forums.ebuyer.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thanks
Joe

iFuseDan
17-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Joe,

The XBox 360 comes with a patch cable - for pc to x-box you'll actually need a crossover cable (internally wired differently).

Secondly you can either bridge or connection share if you share connection you'll need to right click on the wireless adapter (when you list the adapters on networking options), then hit properties; later on in the list of tabs on the top click the advanced tab, then there should be an option for internet connection sharing (tick both).

If you want to setup a bridge (better for NAT) Im unsure if its fixed in vista or not, but you basicly have to select wireless and local area connection, then right click and hit bridge.

Once bridged you need to right click the local area connection remove from bridge then once done that re-add it. I wont go too much into why, but it prioritises the wired connection as bridge source, so removing and re-adding it forces it to use wireless adapter. There maybe a simpler fix for that, however thats how I've been use to doing it.

Hope that helps anyway,

Kind Regards,

Joe!
17-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I used that cable to bridge connections at my grandparents house earlier today, so I know that the cable is fine. I cannot see any other LAN or high speed connections apart from my wireless connection

N!ck
17-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Basically, either do what Dan said or fork out for the wireless adapter.

There is a way to conver a standard patch cable into a crossover cable by swapping two pairs of wires over on one of the ends if you didn't want to go and buy one. But they're only a couple of quid anyway so you may as well buy one. http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

Joe!
17-08-2008, 11:15 PM
I think I have established that the problem is with my ethernet port on the pc rather than the xbox or anything other. I have noticed that on the device list, it only lists my wireless network card, so i tried to install the ethernet drivers from my motherboards CD and it says it cannot find the ethernet controller on my system?:s

J0SH
18-08-2008, 05:23 AM
There's a tutorial under Microsoft how to bridge networks. :P

Invent
18-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I just thought I'd add that the cable that comes with the XBOX is fine to bridge connections with :P

Source
18-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Yea Dan the 360 has a 2 way ethernet port which will automatically detect if a normal CAT5 (or w/e) is been used to connect it to another pc, it then switches the functions for each pin on its end. At least thats what the manual used to say I think :/

Joe!
18-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I knew that cable was fine as i had got it working with my grandparents pc :p Anyway got it working now, i gave up with the motherboards ethernet port and put another network card in which now works fine :) ty for the help anyways

J0SH
19-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Good to hear you got it working. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!