PDA

View Full Version : Getting Mac Mini in Florida, Any problems?

Kyle!
20-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to get a Mac Mini in Florida once i go on holiday because its about £100 cheaper over there once you do the currency conversion etc. but i need to know this will work out well. So here goes, a few questions.

1. Will the airport apply tax to it once i'm coming to the UK?
2. Is the DVD player region unlocked?
3. Its ok about power plug, I'm just going to get a converter i know that isn't really a question but just letting you know.

xxMATTGxx
20-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to get a Mac Mini in Florida once i go on holiday because its about £100 cheaper over there once you do the currency conversion etc. but i need to know this will work out well. So here goes, a few questions.

3. Its ok about power plug, I'm just going to get a converter i know that isn't really a question but just letting you know.

I don't know about 1 or 2. But number 3, I suggest buying the actual UK mac mini plug/power brick. As the converter might cause some problems. You probably can buy these off ebay.

Kyle!
21-08-2008, 04:25 PM
bump.....

alexxxxx
21-08-2008, 04:27 PM
You're going to have to declare it and pay tax when you get to the airport, so I don't know if it'll be worth it.

Kyle!
21-08-2008, 04:30 PM
;5027230']You're going to have to declare it and pay tax when you get to the airport, so I don't know if it'll be worth it.

damn, are you sure?

Nick.
21-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't know about 1 or 2. But number 3, I suggest buying the actual UK mac mini plug/power brick. As the converter might cause some problems. You probably can buy these off ebay.
Matt's right... if you just use a converter plug, then it could blow your laptop. My Dad travels to the UK on business a lot and all their spanish laptops have broken because of voltage problems and such...

xxMATTGxx
21-08-2008, 09:46 PM
damn, are you sure?

I think he is correct. I think you got to declare a product if its so much? Otherwise if you don't I'm sure they get it off you somehow.

Matt's right... if you just use a converter plug, then it could blow your laptop. My Dad travels to the UK on business a lot and all their spanish laptops have broken because of voltage problems and such...

Yeah, I'm worried about that for my Logitech mouse charger. I bought it from the USA on ebay and came with a USA plug style. I bought a converter, but I'm a bit nervous about it.

Kevin
21-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Kyle, if your willing to put it in your suitcase, just hide it. there not really ****** anymore, wrap it with pillows/cousions/towels and keep it in origional packaging. its small enough to get away with it. i did it with my ipod touch.

-Kevin

xxMATTGxx
21-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Kyle, if your willing to put it in your suitcase, just hide it. there not really ****** anymore, wrap it with pillows/cousions/towels and keep it in origional packaging. its small enough to get away with it. i did it with my ipod touch.

-Kevin

We bought iPods before from USA and brought them over without any problems. Although, since this is a computer. Its fairy a medium sized box, so it will be seen :P. Good Luck, Its worth a try. If your still in education, you could get it on a discount in the UK if its any cheaper for you.

N!ck
21-08-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure whether the PSU will be able to auto-detect the different voltage and adjust accordingly or whether there is a voltage switch on the back like in most standard PSUs. Othervise you're in for a nice firewroks display :8.

xxMATTGxx
21-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I been searching on google and reading on Mac Forums, the only thing you will need is a new power unit. Do not use a converter, buy a new Mac Mini power unit, make sure its one of the brand new ones not the older versions. Then you shouldn't have a problem. Can't 100% confirm this but its promising.

madchild24
21-08-2008, 11:04 PM
In the usa, I believe it's you must be in the states for more 48 hours to purchase and bring back anything over $400. or something like that. Unless your a trucking company offcourse or w.e. It's something like that

Kyle!
21-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Ok, i went and searched about and aslong as the Mac Mini is out of the box, then they can't apply tax etc. Aswell the Mac power bricks voltage can use 100-240v which means if i was to buy a travel converter (2 pins to 3 pins) it would work fine. So, everythings going to turn out great!

madchild24
22-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Ok, i went and searched about and aslong as the Mac Mini is out of the box, then they can't apply tax etc. Aswell the Mac power bricks voltage can use 100-240v which means if i was to buy a travel converter (2 pins to 3 pins) it would work fine. So, everythings going to turn out great!

Hmm I'm pretty sure they could figure it out//

xxMATTGxx
22-08-2008, 02:27 PM

You do realise you could damage the Mac? If you take it out the box, it won't be protected and you must know what baggage handlers are like these days. Do not use a converter.

Jordy
22-08-2008, 03:01 PM
You do realise you could damage the Mac? If you take it out the box, it won't be protected and you must know what baggage handlers are like these days. Do not use a converter.They will also look for scratches and things on the Mac, if it looks brand new they can still charge for it. My dad tried to bring back a new camera for Hong Kong once and he took it out the box but they said it was new cause it had no scratches, and they didn't fall for him saying 'I look after things extremely well' :P

I don't think the airport tax is that much, I think it should be worth doing but if you check on the internet you might be able to work it out.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!