PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Reputation

Slowpoke
23-08-2008, 04:43 PM
It's pointless - All it does is turns your block black and stops you seeing when people have repped you. People can still rep you, good and bad and you can still rep them; what's the point? :S

msb.
23-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I agree but some may not want to see the reasons :S

Lee
23-08-2008, 06:07 PM
To stop people seeing what rep you have :P It might be red blocks so maybe they don't want it displayed :)

---MAD---
23-08-2008, 06:53 PM
It's pointless - All it does is turns your block black and stops you seeing when people have repped you. People can still rep you, good and bad and you can still rep them; what's the point? :S
That is all the function does, yes. The point is to "hide" your current reputation.

Niall!
23-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree but some may not want to see the reasons :S

You obviously don't considering you think you cannot be -repd in your signature.

Slowpoke
23-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Just seems a bit pointless is all, it'd be better if it actually stopped people repping you and you repping them because, as it is, it doesn't really "disable" your reputation at all.

benjamin
23-08-2008, 07:16 PM
well it isn't hurting anyone or causing a fuss, so i don't see the problem

msb.
23-08-2008, 08:15 PM
You obviously don't considering you think you cannot be -repd in your signature.
it just shows some people on this forum can't see sarcasm when it is right on a computer/laptop screen ;)

Slowpoke
23-08-2008, 08:18 PM
well it isn't hurting anyone or causing a fuss, so i don't see the problem

I didn't say there was a problem Ben, if I thought that then I would've made a complaint. This thread is my feedback.

msb.
23-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I didn't say there was a problem Ben, if I thought that then I would've made a complaint. This thread is my feedback.
I actually agree with you tbh. It would be better imo if it would disable rep FULLSTOP.

Plank
23-08-2008, 08:38 PM
It would be unfair to allow people to stop receiving reputation when they please. They could make a post which deserves bad reputation, and then disable their rep for a few days.

drama
23-08-2008, 08:41 PM
only so msb. doesnt see the hate mail :S

Slowpoke
24-08-2008, 12:13 PM
It would be unfair to allow people to stop receiving reputation when they please. They could make a post which deserves bad reputation, and then disable their rep for a few days.

But then what is the point in disabling reputation at all when all it does it changes the colour from green to black and hides the comments? Nothing changes, you can still get abusive comments which you'll see when you switch back to having your reputation enabled. It would be better, in my opinion, if you could just change the colour because that's all you really get from the current system.

jesus
24-08-2008, 01:17 PM
It's pointless - All it does is turns your block black and stops you seeing when people have repped you. People can still rep you, good and bad and you can still rep them; what's the point? :Sto make you look cool like jesus does

Slowpoke
24-08-2008, 01:26 PM
to make you look cool like jesus does

Apart from that! ;)

no waiii
24-08-2008, 01:29 PM
You can still see the number so whats the point?

Slowpoke
24-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Exactly, it serves no real purpose...

Nemo
24-08-2008, 01:36 PM
it just shows some people on this forum can't see sarcasm when it is right on a computer/laptop screen ;)
That aint sarcasm.

GommeInc
24-08-2008, 02:30 PM
That is all the function does, yes. The point is to "hide" your current reputation.
So vB named it badly? It should be "hide rep" rather than "disabled rep" :P

today
24-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Thats vBulletin for ya, and you cant actually "disable" it only for the user via admincp and im sure no admin wants to do that all the time.

GommeInc
24-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Thats vBulletin for ya, and you cant actually "disable" it only for the user via admincp and im sure no admin wants to do that all the time.
I do wonder how vB became so popular. Most features on a vB came out years before hand on an IPB forum, like Quick Reply was a default option on 1.2 forums, vB had it as a default option in early version 3s. I even think IPB forums are safer and alot quicker at getting jobs done. I guess the rep system is the winner though, unless you renamed the warning system on IPB to rep system :P

today
24-08-2008, 02:36 PM
I do wonder how vB became so popular. Most features on a vB came out years before hand on an IPB forum, like Quick Reply was a default option on 1.2 forums, vB had it as a default option in early version 3s. I even think IPB forums are safer and alot quicker at getting jobs done. I guess the rep system is the winner though, unless you renamed the warning system on IPB to rep system :P
Yeah though suggest it to them and im sure alot will back you up

GommeInc
24-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah though suggest it to them and im sure alot will back you up
I wouldn't dare suggest upgrading to IPB, it will take hours to convert the database to be able to run in IPB :P It took Mentor a few hours to convert an IPB 1.3 to IPB 2.3.4. Plus it'll take weeks to change the skins, make new threads, FAQs messages etc, especially at the current rate of how quick things get done (not very it seems).

today
24-08-2008, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't dare suggest upgrading to IPB, it will take hours to convert the database to be able to run in IPB :P It took Mentor a few hours to convert an IPB 1.3 to IPB 2.3.4. Plus it'll take weeks to change the skins, make new threads, FAQs messages etc, especially at the current rate of how quick things get done (not very it seems).
I sort of meant suggest the reputation idea to vBulletin LOL.

GommeInc
24-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Ohhh lol, could do, but it'll be better if someone who owns the forum suggests it :P

today
24-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Ohhh lol, could do, but it'll be better if someone who owns the forum suggests it :P
i'll do it but you write a essay quicker then me and better so i wont :]

GommeInc
24-08-2008, 02:58 PM
All you need is a short description on the current feature and then what features should be in there e.g. hidden rep and disabled rep, then a small ramble on the benefits. Easy.

today
24-08-2008, 03:17 PM
All you need is a short description on the current feature and then what features should be in there e.g. hidden rep and disabled rep, then a small ramble on the benefits. Easy.
See, your begging to do it :D

Niall!
25-08-2008, 11:33 AM

That's because sarcasm isn't represented on a computer screen, HURRRR

tdi
26-08-2008, 12:05 AM
it still shows other people the rep in the rep power?

Mr.OSH
26-08-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't think this matters really. I understand why some people are saying that it is pointless however people on the forum seem to use the feature as they with to "hide" their reputation and therefore if people are using the features there would be no point removing it really. If you want to use the disable reputation feature so other people can't see your reputation for whatever reason then fair enough - no real reason to change anything here as people obviously do see a point in the option as they use it. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!