PDA

View Full Version : Iran-Bound Passenger Jet Crashes in Kyrgyzstan

Dentafrice
24-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Is it just me, or is this getting more frequent? hmm..

MOSCOW — A passenger jet heading to Iran with at least 83 people aboard crashed Sunday near the main airport in Kyrgyzstan, Kyrgyz and U.S. officials said.

Russia's Interfax news agency quoted an unidentified airport official as saying there were casualties, but that could not immediately be confirmed.

The Boeing 737 crashed near the Bishkek airport, Maj. Damian Pickart, public affairs officer for the Manas U.S. air base, told The Associated Press. The U.S. air base is at Bishkek's airport. Pickart said there were 83 people aboard.

An airport official said the crash occurred after the crew reported a technical problem on board about 10 minutes into the flight to Tehran, Iran, and said they were returning to the airport. The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to give her name.

Kyrgyz Interior Minister Maldomusa Kongatiyev told the AP there were seven crew members on board in addition to the 83 passengers. He said the plane went down 10 kilometers (6 miles) from the airport.

Interfax quoted Kyrgyz Emergency Situations Minister Kamchibek Tashiyev as saying the plane crashed about 3 miles from the airport and that it had 123 people on board.

Interfax said the plane belonged to a company called Itek Air and was headed to Mashhad in northeastern Iran.

Yoshimitsui
24-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Another one, alot recently!

Dentafrice
24-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah, seems like it has been..

no waiii
24-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Your more likey to die in a donkey attack than a plane crash LOL

And 2 yeas i suppose its alot in the ammount of time.

Jordy
24-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Not really too surprising though, it says this at the bottom of the BBC Report.

Itek Air is on a list of airlines banned from EU airspace because of fears over safety standards.

It looks like they were probably right over their safety fears, good on the EU! Must admit I've never heard of Kyrgyzstan either...

Dentafrice
24-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I've not heard of many donkey attacks lately, but I've heard of a few plane crashes ;P

cocaine
24-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Media always makes plane crashes seem all too frequent :P

And yeah it was on the chinese-Kyrgyzstanic border from reports at airliners.net as well.

RIP ):

alexxxxx
24-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Dodgy airline in a dodgy country. What do you expect?

Leetzgirl
24-08-2008, 09:53 PM
You think i gonna go on a plane now? :|

xxMATTGxx
24-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Planes are safe, its the airlines who have to keep them safe. Make sure their maintenance is high standards etc. Plane crashes might look more frequently to you, but really there not. The Media try putting it that planes are bad and put blame to the aircraft all the time etc. Flying is still a vert safe way of travel and it will never stop me flying on a plane. Now the problem with this airline is, if it is banned from the EU. Then there must be a problem. Not safe? Maintenance is bad? Aircraft is likely to crash. Although may the people who died R.I.P.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!