PDA

View Full Version : Vista, Should i install it?

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Well my uncle has given me a spare Vista Ultimate from his work (works in IT they had a spare one floating about that they have never used) I'm quite if not very experience with XP and i am just wanting to know if i should Install Vista.

Some people tell me that Vista sucks but other people say it's amazing. Can someone give me like a Pro and Con list between Vista and XP

I need some advice really.

If i do decide to install it i am going to do a clean install on my laptop (i need to format my HDD anyways cos theres loads of rubbish on it)

Or should i just Dual boot it with XP and see which one i like best?

Technologic
25-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Well firstly post the specs of your laptop

Kevin
25-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Well my uncle has given me a spare Vista Ultimate from his work (works in IT they had a spare one floating about that they have never used) I'm quite if not very experience with XP and i am just wanting to know if i should Install Vista.

Some people tell me that Vista sucks but other people say it's amazing. Can someone give me like a Pro and Con list between Vista and XP

I need some advice really.

If i do decide to install it i am going to do a clean install on my laptop (i need to format my HDD anyways cos theres loads of rubbish on it)

Or should i just Dual boot it with XP and see which one i like best?

Well, if your only looking for the look of Vista, and prefer xp as the operating system, install a Brikopack, i use one of them on my XP computer.

Vista has its ups and downs, its more secure than xp i belive, but make sure your drivers are compatible with vista before you switch over, as some for printers/monitors arnt

-Kevin

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I think it will be compatable.

Toshiba Equium A100-549
Intel Celeron M 1.40GHz Processor
1GB RAM

40GB HDD (but i also have an external constanly plugged in that is 80GB)

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Graphics card (64MB Memory)

Realtek HD Audio

Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter

I've used the Vista Upgrade advisor and it said i am compatable with Vista Ultimate

Swinkid
25-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Its compatable but i would upgrade your ram to 2GB otherwise ur gna be lagging alot

Technologic
25-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Compatible but nowhere near advisable. It will be extremely slow and you barely have the minimum requirements. Vista requires at least a 40GB hdd with 15GB of free space

Recursion
25-08-2008, 01:49 PM
If you upgrade to 2GB RAM then it would be fine.

Vista is brilliant, people who say its rubbish have never used it, or have incompatible hardware.

Technologic
25-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Vista ultimate on those specs though :l

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Compatible but nowhere near advisable. It will be extremely slow and you barely have the minimum requirements. Vista requires at least a 40GB hdd with 15GB of free space
I've got enough space for that. What i do is have all my OS files and Program files on my Main HDD and then put any pictures, movies, documents (or even program files for big games) on my external.

And i think i may just try it and see if it's slow. I'm not planning on having this laptop for much longer (had it 2 years now) so no point in installing some more RAM

I've just been talking to a mate on MSN with vista. They like it but have said everytime they copy, move, delete certain files it asks you to confirm this all the time. Would i be able to disable this or is it part of the whole Vista security? i could see that being quite annoying, i prosume that only happens when editing main OS files and DLL and that

Hazza
25-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I would, Vista is brilliant. I've got it on 2 of my household laptops and have had no problems with it!

N!ck
25-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I've got enough space for that. What i do is have all my OS files and Program files on my Main HDD and then put any pictures, movies, documents (or even program files for big games) on my external.

And i think i may just try it and see if it's slow. I'm not planning on having this laptop for much longer (had it 2 years now) so no point in installing some more RAM

I've just been talking to a mate on MSN with vista. They like it but have said everytime they copy, move, delete certain files it asks you to confirm this all the time. Would i be able to disable this or is it part of the whole Vista security? i could see that being quite annoying, i prosume that only happens when editing main OS files and DLL and that

Yes, it can be disabled.

RedStratocas
25-08-2008, 01:57 PM
vista is a steaming pile of crap. i got a brand new dell laptop for school with vista, and it has problems like you wouldnt believe. it got so bad that my dad, a computer programer, got so frustrated with it that he bought me a macbook. dont say i didn't use it, i used it for nearly two months and eventually i got sick of all the random errors and incompatible software.

Technologic
25-08-2008, 01:57 PM
All you need to do to disable that is go onto the admin accont, user accounts and click disable User account control

Lycan
25-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Vista ultimate on those specs though :l

Vista Ultimate would be fine on thoose specs ... the code behind the operating system doesn't change only the additional features which he can choose not to use are added... common sense that if he runs a program thats on vista ultimate that slows down his computer, or runs several that slows down his computer.. he ether closes it and doesn't use it / finds an alternative.. or only opens one at a time.

Since SP1 - Vista has become alot more... stable, previous to that it was easier and cheaper to just download Server 2008 for 120 days and turn on Aero.
The Annoying features of Vista include user account control which can easily be turned off. But (although you may not be able to take full advantage of this) is of course the base of directx 10 gaming!.

Vista is worth getting... not buying though (would of been a year ago) but with another windows OS on the way and with the soon release of IE8 (currently in public beta).
But as your getting it for free... why the hell not, worst that can happen is that you have to reinstall xp which is a simple click install anyway (assuming that your data is backed up on your external)

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Ye i've backup everything i want to keep on my external (personal stuff and that) i think i will install it tbh, see how it goes and like you said i can always install XP again

You mentioned another Windows OS on the way, any ideas on what this is going to be like. I suppose it will be similar to Vista, like XP was similar to windows 2000 (2000 was V5.0 XP was 5.1 so Vista is 6.0 i suppose the new one would be 6.1??) any idea when i will be ready?? a few years??

I'll get on will my Vista install tonight, and get back to you tomrrow if it has gone ok

Recursion
25-08-2008, 02:10 PM

It only asks for confirmation when doing it abnormally, to like system files, or when installing programs. It really doesn't get annoying, you get used to it very quickly, and it stop you from installing/modifying stuff that may break Vista.

The next Windows is 7.0 and will be a bit different, but not much, from XP.

Vista is not crap nowadays, its far far better than XP.

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Just googled windows 7.0 and aparently it will be released in 2010 and have a
touch screen.

Sounds good.

Probs very tempromental

Lycan
25-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Just googled windows 7.0 and aparently it will be released in 2010 and have a
touch screen.

Sounds good.

Probs very tempromental

Indeed although end of 2009 is the date i had heard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

for thoose intrested it has Vistas looks (mostly) with the stablity of XP and will have the "Multi-Touch" capability ... so long as it has some form of touchpad / tablet attached

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 02:23 PM
A few people said i would be best of with 2GB of RAM but i've just done some searching about Vista and have found it has a program called ReadyBoost which i belive means you can 'Emulate' RAM on an external USB drive. Would this be any help for my RAM problem??

Stephen08
25-08-2008, 02:24 PM
vista is a steaming pile of crap. i got a brand new dell laptop for school with vista, and it has problems like you wouldnt believe. it got so bad that my dad, a computer programer, got so frustrated with it that he bought me a macbook. dont say i didn't use it, i used it for nearly two months and eventually i got sick of all the random errors and incompatible software.

Well you must of been using it in its early stages of release, because I've had no compatibility troubles so far and I'm still not using sp1 yet

Lycan
25-08-2008, 02:25 PM
A few people said i would be best of with 2GB of RAM but i've just done some searching about Vista and have found it has a program called ReadyBoost which i belive means you can 'Emulate' RAM on an external USB drive. Would this be any help for my RAM problem??

it would help but not completly solve the problem.. you would survive with 1gb but in the longterm you could look into how much it would cost you to simply upgrade the ram in your computer/laptop/whatever (after all you are getting the vista software free... and ram would be the better thing to buy)

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Ye makes sense.

I've never installed RAM in a laptop (Have done in Desktop PC's) is it as simple?

Lycan
25-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Ye makes sense.

I've never installed RAM in a laptop (Have done in Desktop PC's) is it as simple?

Fairly similar (the sticks are smaller and different way of clipping into place) so on and so forth

one of the hatches on the underneath of your laptop should be ram.. (in most models anyway)

Recursion
25-08-2008, 02:41 PM

ReadyBoost has been proven to decrease performance.

HotelUser
25-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I think it will be compatable.

Toshiba Equium A100-549
Intel Celeron M 1.40GHz Processor
1GB RAM

40GB HDD (but i also have an external constanly plugged in that is 80GB)

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Graphics card (64MB Memory)

Realtek HD Audio

Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter

I've used the Vista Upgrade advisor and it said i am compatable with Vista Ultimate

You'll need an extra gig of RAM, you'll probably be required to use the external hard drive frequently, as Vista will take up a substantial amount of disk space. I would suggest that you avoid Vista for the moment being You'll get better performance on your computer with XP.

The latest is certainly not always the greatest, and this is Microsoft, XP wasn't nearly as good as it is now, I would wait for SP2, or just get a higher end system if you really wanted to use Vista.

If you upgrade to 2GB RAM then it would be fine.

Vista is brilliant, people who say its rubbish have never used it, or have incompatible hardware.
....or have used it for over a year and have determined that they don't like it based on it's terrible incompatibility and performance compared to Windows XP SP3.

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm gonna install it tonight, see how i go with it, If i think it's very laggy i will look at getting so more RAM (first of getting a guide on doing it on a laptop to see if it's as easy as desktop PC) and if i cba with that i'll just revert back to XP

I was going to reinstall XP again soon anyways to clear some rubbish off my laptop (i do this like every 6 months, keep my laptop running quite fast)

Recursion
25-08-2008, 02:59 PM
RAM is as easy as taking a small panel of and slotting it in usually.

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I've openend my laptop before though, has 2 panels on underneath (big one and a small one) and i've not been able to locate my original RAM.
I'd also need to buy 2 1GB sticks of RAM or 1 2GB of RAM because my laptop currently has 2 512MB sticks in it so i would have to replace them both if i were to want 2GB of RAM

Lubricant
25-08-2008, 03:28 PM
haven't read thread or posts, only title and I suggest not to install it.

Recursion
25-08-2008, 03:32 PM
¬_¬ why?

Stephen!
25-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I remember when everybody hated Windows XP when it first comes out. Now everybody loved it after it being out for 3 years. Vista is still very young, and when Windows 7 comes out, everybody will be clinging on to Vista, just like everyone clung on to Windows 2000 when XP came out.

Lycan
25-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I've openend my laptop before though, has 2 panels on underneath (big one and a small one) and i've not been able to locate my original RAM.
I'd also need to buy 2 1GB sticks of RAM or 1 2GB of RAM because my laptop currently has 2 512MB sticks in it so i would have to replace them both if i were to want 2GB of RAM

Really? thats quite strange

Normally theres ether several panels (1 for hdd, 1 for ram, 1 for cpu fan access) or one huge one

how old/ what make is it?

XP was very popular when it came out... it didn't have the same level of flaws.. and its lasted longer then any other operating system. over half a decade.

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 03:47 PM
It's toshiba Equium A100-549, Bought June 2006.

It has one little panel and one big one that is wierd shaped (looks like a panel and a small panel but it's all one) i could get a pic if i get it open. I'll do it after i've installed Vista, gonna do that now.

Lycan
25-08-2008, 03:51 PM
It's toshiba Equium A100-549, Bought June 2006.

It has one little panel and one big one that is wierd shaped (looks like a panel and a small panel but it's all one) i could get a pic if i get it open. I'll do it after i've installed Vista, gonna do that now.

Well enjoy the install...

i'm still waiting for an os install that provides games and other entertainment while installing

excluding some linux's which allow you to boot into the os on disk and install it there while playing snake!

Lubricant
25-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Cos it's poo.

Stick to XP or get a mac.

Leetzgirl
25-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Use vista if you got specs.

Or use XP :)!

Or MAC OSX if i like it Lolol!

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 03:59 PM
I used Mac on my laptop for around 2 months, got sick of it as it didn't work very well. I'm saving up for a Mac (i'm at about £600 need £800 for the one i want) thats why i don't want to put much money into this laptop as i will have no need for it soon.

So really i'm just messing about with my laptop cos i am bored with it :P

And wow i wanna play Snake whilst installing Vista :P

You could probs make your own install disk with a Game on it, like when you Slipsteam your install disk to include a new service pack, you could put a game on it that runs from a disk lol, the install would probs take 3 times aslong though :P which defeats the point.

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry about double post, obvs can't edit as it's like 3 hours later.

I've got it installed, installation took about 30 mins, and now i'm just installing all my programs and that.

It's working really well tbh, it's not slow or laggy and when i looked again at my graphics specs (Using DXDIAG) My graphics card is now 256MB instead of 64MB like it said before, i find that very wierd lol as it can't just do that. Is that any better for Vista then you think.
The graphics are also amazing tbh.

Lycan
25-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Sorry about double post, obvs can't edit as it's like 3 hours later.

I've got it installed, installation took about 30 mins, and now i'm just installing all my programs and that.

It's working really well tbh, it's not slow or laggy and when i looked again at my graphics specs (Using DXDIAG) My graphics card is now 256MB instead of 64MB like it said before, i find that very wierd lol as it can't just do that. Is that any better for Vista then you think.
The graphics are also amazing tbh.

Congrats on the install.

Care to share your vista rating?

-Danube-
25-08-2008, 11:13 PM
http://uploadpicz.com/images/ASKPHS4.png

Not an amazing score but i'm happy with it.

For a 2 year old laptop i think thats ok

I'd say i'm happy with my install, my laptop is as fast a usual

HotelUser
25-08-2008, 11:28 PM
I remember when everybody hated Windows XP when it first comes out. Now everybody loved it after it being out for 3 years. Vista is still very young, and when Windows 7 comes out, everybody will be clinging on to Vista, just like everyone clung on to Windows 2000 when XP came out.

Because computers are now coming with Vista, so people are getting Vista without upgrading manually. If I reflect, then I can't see what was wrong with Windows 2000, but hey...I got a new computer then..with XP, and at that time it ran decent enough, so I didn't pursue downgrading.

NayFUN
26-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Personaly I don't like Vista but it's upto you.

Lycan
26-08-2008, 10:14 AM
http://uploadpicz.com/images/ASKPHS4.png

Not an amazing score but i'm happy with it.

For a 2 year old laptop i think thats ok

I'd say i'm happy with my install, my laptop is as fast a usual

Its only Aero that let you down... rest of it seems to be ... acceptable

enjoying vista then?

GommeInc
26-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Cos it's poo.

Stick to XP or get a mac.
Go on... Because what you said doesn't prove or suggest why Vista is poo in your opinion :rolleyes:

A 2.0 rating on an old laptop is quite decent :S The other ratings are good too :D

Misawa
26-08-2008, 10:59 AM
I've never had a problem with Vista on my laptop. As long as you have good quality hardware, you can just download Vista compatibility patches for the products.

N!ck
26-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Wista ratings mean bugger all, but it's nice to see them though.

-Danube-
26-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Wista ratings mean bugger all, but it's nice to see them though.
i agree, it should be an average score in the first place tbh not from your lowest subscore.

It says i can't use aero with a graphics rating of 2.0, you need 3.0 it says (in help and support thing) but yet i have aero enabled, with glass and transparacy and it works great. It's not slow of anything, it's strange lol

Zak
26-08-2008, 11:19 PM
No XP rules.

Recursion
27-08-2008, 09:12 AM
No XP rules.

get the frick out.

Mickster
27-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I hope you've turned off UAC. ;D

Recursion
27-08-2008, 07:47 PM
UAC is great :P

Flisker
27-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Vista is great. I have it on my laptop (over 1 year old) its a Toshiba Satellite L40. xD

Lycan
27-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Vista is great. I have it on my laptop (over 1 year old) its a Toshiba Satellite L40. xD

Ah the L40 - thats a nice laptop . although all the ones i've delt with have all had vista removed and had needed xp drivers added

blanky12!
28-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I hope you've turned off UAC. ;D
keep it on... It might be annoying but it's there for security..

I had vista running perfectly on;
2GB ram
2x80GB hard drives
2.4Ghz AMD 64bit processer.
512MB ATI gfx.

Perfectly.. Until I got a mac :)

Recursion
28-08-2008, 07:49 AM
keep it on... It might be annoying but it's there for security..

I had vista running perfectly on;
2GB ram
2x80GB hard drives
2.4Ghz AMD 64bit processer.
512MB ATI gfx.

Perfectly.. Until I got a mac :)

I am actually serious, SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT YOUR BLOODY MAC.

Edited by Hayd93 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude.

N!ck
28-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I'd recommend advanced and most normal users to turn UAC off and less advanced to keep it on ;).

lolwut
28-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Vista needs more than a gig of ram for something like that, 2 gig minimum.
It's a wierd jump if you've been using XP for a long time though because they totally redesigned it (but I'm sure you already knew that :P)

Also; what's wrong with XP?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!