PDA

View Full Version : ATI Graphics Card doesn't work?

lolwut
30-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi,
I have a ATI Raedon 9600XT Graphics card for my PC. I got back off a two week holiday this morning to find it isn't working, I tried other cables and a different monitor. When I plugged either monitor on either cable into my laptop they both worked fine.
I Googled this and couldn't find anything helpful. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be greatful to hear them!
Also, if anyone knows about a better forum where I'd be able to get more help, please let me know.
Thanks.

Recursion
30-08-2008, 12:30 PM
www.overclock.net is brilliant, but it sounds like your card may well be dieing.

Stephen!
30-08-2008, 12:34 PM
You need to provide a more precise decription other than 'It's not working'.

Do you loose the picture when you get in to Windows? Or do you have no signal at all when you turn on the computer?

lolwut
30-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Tawm; Can you recomend me any decent cards? Cheaply? :P And thanks for that link, I'll repost there.

Stephen; Sorry, my fault, I don't get any signal when I turn the computer on. I've tried it with 2 cables and 2 different screens (one Dell, other Iiyama).

Stephen!
30-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Hmm. Does the graphics card have a fan installed? Could you check to see if it's spinning?

Blue
30-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Does everything else start up alright?
eg. its just your not getting any picture when you start up?

Stephen!
30-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Well he hasn't replied.. You think the computer blew up?

Recursion
30-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I think there was that manky electrical burning smell and a blue puff of smoke.

lolwut
30-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Sorry, I have to wait until my brothers off the other computer before I can check the thread.
Just to clean everything up;
It hasn't blown up (yet).
The fan on the card is running.
And, third time, I get no image signal from it, at all. I've tried with 2 different makes of monitors and 2 different cables which I know both work which has done no good.

Can anyone recommend me a decent card?

Blue
30-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Hmm, do you feel comfortable with opening up the dead computer?

N!ck
30-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Hmm, do you feel comfortable with opening up the dead computer?

Well obviously they must have done already to check if the fan was spinning.

Blue
30-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Fair enough :)

Well on the motherboard there should be a little battery. Try taking it out and putting it back in again

Looks like this:
http://support.oslri.net/image/cr2032bat.jpg

Stephen!
30-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I would try actually to remove the card and then put it back in again just to clean the contacts to the PCI-E slot.

Andys
30-08-2008, 06:17 PM
I think there was that manky electrical burning smell and a blue puff of smoke.
ahhh the memories.
LOL.

try a differant graphics card just to make sure that is the problem.
also as stephen suggested try taking it out then putting it back.

lolwut
30-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Sorry about not being able to reply, again...

I'm gonna go try taking the CMOS battery out and taking the card out and slotting it back in even though I've already tried that once before. Will report back.
Andys; I'd try another card, but I don't have any. :P

EDIT: Just took CMOS (Date And Time) battery and card out and blew in the slot for the card, had a lot of dust in my mouth. :(
Anyway, the computer's just started up with signal. But it did this before and died after about 10 minutes so I'm gonna sit and wait to see if it does.

Thanks so much to whoever told me to take the battery out and whoever told me to take the card out!

Blue
30-08-2008, 10:08 PM
No probs, i had the same problem with my graphics card a while back, and someone on here told me to take the cmos battery out :P

N!ck
30-08-2008, 10:27 PM
No probs, i had the same problem with my graphics card a while back, and someone on here told me to take the cmos battery out :P

I don't really see how it would help but i suppose there's a small chance it could. Did it work for you?

And i believe you're refering to a CMOS reset which generally involves moving a jumper rather than just removing the battery.

Blue
30-08-2008, 10:29 PM
It did work. And I was only told to take out the battery which I thought was odd, but oh well, it worked

lolwut
31-08-2008, 02:09 PM
It sort of all works now... :S

And my motherboard doesn't actually have a CMOS reset jumper, I was looking for it last time I crashed then realised taking it out has the same effect.

Thanks all!

Stephen!
01-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Glad you got it sorted. Well, the CMOS option actually makes sense. You see, when you clear the CMOS, your motherboard has to re-register all of the components in the machine. Maybe all it was is that the graphics card was not being registered.

N!ck
01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Glad you got it sorted. Well, the CMOS option actually makes sense. You see, when you clear the CMOS, your motherboard has to re-register all of the components in the machine. Maybe all it was is that the graphics card was not being registered.

It usually makes a horrendous beep if it doesn't think there's a graphics card there though.

Earthquake
02-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Could you explain in a little more detail then ''It isn't working'' then possibly I could solve the whole situation for you.

Stephen!
02-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Could you explain in a little more detail then ''It isn't working'' then possibly I could solve the whole situation for you.

*Removed*

Edited by Flisker (Forum Moderator): Please do not be rude to forum members.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!