PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Downloading

Decode
30-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Is it right to download Movies and Games or anything else copyrighted from the internet? Should internet service providers do more checks to try and stop pirate downloaders? Do people only download because they can't afford to pay for it?

What do you think.

sharetheguilt
30-08-2008, 10:22 PM
i think it's fine to download illegally tbh.

Invent
30-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Should it be allowed: no
Should ISPs have more control: no
Do people only download because they can't afford to pay: no

Blue
30-08-2008, 10:33 PM
For popular stuff, when which millions will actually go out and buy the product, I think its more justified, considering they make massive profits from sales anyway.

Moh
30-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Most the music I download, my mum already has. So I guess its just laziness for me, why buy from itunes when you can get free elsewhere xD

Movies, well I hardly download/stream them, but if I do thats purely because I'm bored at the time. If I'm out in town and see a movie I like, I would buy it.

So I don't exactly see a problem with what I'm doing xD

Oh, but for software which costs £400+, thats because well.. who here would pay that?

But I don't think isp's should control it, as if they did, they would also monitor legal downloads or personal downloads.

Caution
30-08-2008, 10:41 PM
i don't really agree with it, even though i do it.:eusa_wall what's the point in spending hundreds on software when you can get it free.

cocaine
30-08-2008, 10:57 PM
everythings overpriced really, i mean, a game can be like £30+

Moh
30-08-2008, 10:58 PM
everythings overpriced really, i mean, a game can be like £30+
ps3 is £40+ :(

cocaine
30-08-2008, 11:01 PM
ps3 is £40+ :(

but can you download PS3 games? (im really asking)

Moh
30-08-2008, 11:07 PM
If you could, I would have a bit more cash in my pocket :P
Well, bank/wallet.

cocaine
30-08-2008, 11:11 PM
If you could, I would have a bit more cash in my pocket :P
Well, bank/wallet.

oh i guess you dont really have a choice then :D

Moh
30-08-2008, 11:14 PM
oh i guess you dont really have a choice then :D
I think you can, but I'm guessing you still have to get the console cracked :P

Why2u
31-08-2008, 12:20 AM
lol at this. DONT DOWNLOAD ILLEGALLY >;l
If the FBI cracks down on the site you downloaded from, it can get the IP you downloaded it with, they can track your computer, find where you live, and slap you with a fine of up to $100,000. Don't do it.

Blue
31-08-2008, 12:23 AM
So they're going to get about 5 million different ips from rapidshare and prosecute them all?

PaintYourTarget
31-08-2008, 12:27 AM
FBI has no regulation down my ends, so I'll take my chances.

Major records or bands or artists I'm not too sure I'll like I'll download, but unsigned and good bands I like I'll buy the album. Doing my part to save the scene and all that.
I'll stream TV shows from America and the like, but never movies - just can't settle down/sit still and watch a movie on my laptop.

Why2u
31-08-2008, 12:29 AM
So they're going to get about 5 million different ips from rapidshare and prosecute them all?

They did a few years ago when napster was doing illegal.

msb.
31-08-2008, 12:40 AM

agreed tbh

i wouldn't want sum1 watching over me whilst doing homework or sum crap

Why2u
31-08-2008, 12:44 AM
you also risk getting a virus or keylogger whilst downloading crap.

PaintYourTarget
31-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Most Torrents or Downloads show you exactly what you're downloading and after doing it for a while you get to notice which files are real and which aren't and it's just second nature to go straight to the real ones. When you go to play the file and notice it doesn't work, you delete it straight away - that's if your virus software hasn't already blocked it.
Besides, if you download stuff straight off myspace or youtube, you know you're just getting the file you want.

So, not much of a risk to me.

DucksGoWoof
31-08-2008, 04:22 AM
You can probably find PS3 ROMs And Emulators somewhere on the internet.

Looochella
31-08-2008, 07:56 AM
lol.
i dont really think its right. eventually you will get caught or something.
thats exactly why my brother has 500 songs + on limewire? LOL.

Lisabel
31-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I downloaded photoshop, Corel Draw etc. I don't like limewire to download, Virus horrors

AndrewByrne
31-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't see any problem.
I don't wanna pay €0.99 for a song on iTunes...

Emzy
31-08-2008, 12:59 PM
I only download free music because im not getting my mum's credit card and wasting loads of money when i could get it for free and i download movies because i know ill never see them in the cinema

Mr.OSH
31-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Personally I don't think it is right but people are always going to do it anyway. I believe that really those who are uploading the files and the sources that are providing them are under more risk of getting prosecuted as really there are so many millions of people who are downloading prosecuting every single one is basically impossible and the prosecutors probably don't have the resources to take them all into court cases. I think they only crack down on those who are downloading TONS of stuff and are doing it 24/7. I think that they are much more likely to get prosecuted than those who download small amounts of files. I think the entertainment industry really charges too much for some products so they could be to blame for why people want to get things for free if they can.

Even with people downloading there will always be people who see these bands like, buy their albums and merchandise and people who go and watch films and buy games etc etc so really although the market wont make as much money as they once did I think they will hardly be in poverty. They make such a big deal about it because they want the huge profits they were used to before more and more people downloaded and although I agree it is wrong I also agree the prices of their products (on the most part) can be wrong too.

Just my opinion of course. :P

Lisabel
31-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I totally agree with you. My friends band just got signed and I wouldn't like to see people downloading rather than buying the album. But they are just too expensive!

Leetzgirl
31-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I have over 5000+ Songs and movies uploading on limewire...

:)

Dan2nd
31-08-2008, 02:30 PM
In my opinion downloading software, music, games w.e off the internet illegally is the same as walking into a shop, taking it off the shelf and not paying for it. So next time you look down on someone for stealing from a shop think about it you're basically doing the same thing.... stealing

msb.
31-08-2008, 02:37 PM
In my opinion downloading software, music, games w.e off the internet illegally is the same as walking into a shop, taking it off the shelf and not paying for it. So next time you look down on someone for stealing from a shop think about it you're basically doing the same thing.... stealing
well said I agree

It isn't fair for the people that put the time and effort into making whatever it, movies/music/games... etc...

Leetzgirl
31-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I wouldnt care anyways,

Too cool to be caughtt

Loqo
31-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I dont see a problem with it. Who'd rather pay 79p for a song on iTunes where you could get it for free? It's so big now it would be impossible to stop it, you couldn't catch everyone who has downloaded illegally, could you imagine how many their would be, lol.

JackBuddy
31-08-2008, 05:31 PM
For popular stuff, when which millions will actually go out and buy the product, I think its more justified, considering they make massive profits from sales anyway.
People like Coldplay only receieve 30p from every album they sell.

Holofoil
31-08-2008, 06:52 PM
If people can get it for free insted of paying for it, they're going to.

Funya Chin
31-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Which is the same as using copyrighted images in your avatar and signature.

Dan2nd
31-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Which is the same as using copyrighted images in your avatar and signature.

Oh sorry did I say I'm guilt free of such things?

Recursion
31-08-2008, 09:26 PM
If I download an album and like it enough ill buy it, the same for movies. I like to sample things first.

Dan2D:

http://media.tumblr.com/DJH3cv6Qtapvm9wd0TbmIBxS_500.gif

Judge Judy
31-08-2008, 11:01 PM
If I download an album and like it enough ill buy it, the same for movies. I like to sample things first.

Dan2D:

That's what I tend to do, if I like an album, dvd or game I'll eventually pay for it.

Azul
31-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Don't really give a toss to be honest, got 2 movies on download now. And I always download my songs. Why pay when they're there?

xToMx
31-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I'll almost never buy an album, I always download them, easier. Software is another thing I always download, I don't see the point of spending so much only MS Office when it's available free..

I'll buy DVDs as they are sort of a collectable thing, like boxsets and series and stuff. That's probably the only thing I buy as I like to keep them but CDs and stuff is a nono.

tdi
08-09-2008, 12:35 AM
i can't stand watching movies on my PC, I much prefer to watch them on a TV. I used to download a lot of music but now I tend to buy albums as I can just stick them in my car, it's not like the artists and that don't make enough money to cover it.

PaintYourTarget
08-09-2008, 12:41 AM
The last few albums I've bought have been unsigned bands where I've handed the cash to their guitarist or bassists (never drummers). That I feel good about 'cause I can actually see where the moneys going and that they're pleased someone has liked them enough to buy their album - each and everyone matters to them.
Big bands don't value individual album sales anymore, £10 wont impact them so why bother when there's people around who it will.

Invent
08-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I support paying for CDs that are by new artists that can only just about afford the studios they make their songs in, but when it's a worldwide famous artist, then I'm just not bothered if I'm honest.

DaveTaylor
08-09-2008, 01:08 PM
If I download something "illegally" music/movies etc I buy it when it comes out or when i am next in town anyway so I am legal again it's a good way of doing it, but for software etc I have started to buy some but photoshop etc hell no!

Mickster
08-09-2008, 04:07 PM
It's wrong, but I do it.

If I really want something, I will buy it, but if I fancy something new without having to go the the shops and spend money, I just download something.

Another reason I would download something if it is way overpriced, prime example being Photoshop. Seriously, I doubt anyone paid the full price for PS, and if you did, you just got ripped off TBH.

Ramones
08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't buy crap bands albums because i feel sorry for them , whether they're world famous or pub singers if i like them i'll still illegally download their music if i can, this post isn't going anywhere..

jrh2002
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I download loads of films and music and still dont lose sleep at night ;)
Its easier for me to download because I have over 1000 films on an external that sits next to my sky+ box and all those files are avi or mp4 and if i bought it would mean i have to take a few hours converting the dvd files. I watch films or listen to my music through my tv with no need for piles of dvd's or cd's cluttering up my home. If I was earning anywhere near the amount of the well known artists/actors and the people behind the scenes then to right they can complain :) but when they make obscene profits on dvd's or cd's they wont get my sympathy when people dont pay.

I pay for ALL my ps3 games i must tell you :8

The people who download and then sell on multiple copies of dvd's or cd's however are the ones who should be cracked down on :) even though before i got into torrents and downloading i was guilty of buying from these people but buying or downloading for your own personal use isnt something the police would bother chasing up on.

The governments getting involved in the piracy is annoying it should just be a civil matter but I imagine these big businesses donate well to the governments in question so of course they will fight on their behalf. Corruption is all I can think.

I could produce a single cd album with case, full covers, inserts and printed cd with no loss of quality for under £1 so why is it right to charge on average 9.99 for that in the shop?

Double album for £1.20 and the shop price is usually £12 - £13

DVD for under £1 and the shop price for a new film is usually £15 - £20

I know that they have done all the work like filming or recording so expect it to cost more as they have to pay wages but what a rip off at the current values.

If you do buy your your music, DVDs and games i strongly recomend you avoid UK high street retail outlets and buy from places like

http://www.cdwow.com/
www.amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk)
www.play.com (http://www.play.com)

just google and do a search :) also search google for code to make your dvd player multi region and consider buying from america etc (orders under £18 no import tax needs to be paid) and alot of the time their films are out on dvd months before here.

Long live The Pirate Bay and Mininova :eusa_danc

Blinger1
09-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I pay for ALL my ps3 games i must tell you :8

Long live The Pirate Bay and Mininova :eusa_danc

You have to, because can't pirate PS3 games (yet...?)

And Demonoid is quite good too.

jrh2002
09-09-2008, 12:00 PM
You have to, because can't pirate PS3 games (yet...?)

And Demonoid is quite good too.

I have seen a few places advertising to chip a ps3 but never seen any games for download so who knows lol

I used to pirate my ps1 games but when you have so many you tend to play them a little and then go onto the next new one which to me took out the enjoyment :) of course i was pretty young then so couldnt afford to buy them very often. I bought all ps2 / gamecube / wii / ps3 games and take my time in choosing them and reading about them to make sure i dont get something bad that i bought just on the name. I also make sure i get the best deal and even a seconds hand one in new condition off amazon etc is fine by me :)

yes demonoid is good but i do a little bit for the sites i mentioned so thats why i named them :)

Blinger1
09-09-2008, 12:07 PM
I chipped my PS2, then one of the controllers stopped working (in the PS2 console itsself), so i bought a slim, invested in the Memor32 memory card (plug and play modchip), used that.
Had a modded PS1 and PSP, dont use either anymore much since i got a PS3.

I download music, im too stingy to buy it and my dad doesn't let me "why buy it when you can download it for free?"

Cypher-
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I believe that the music which I listen to like rock/indie/alt is more appealing when you see a band live. Bands make an amazing smount from constantly gigging doing licensed venues. There are some bands that never come off the road because they love it and know its the best way to make money. I also think that "illegal" downloading or downloading without a license helps some bands to elevate their career. Go and ask Gym Class Heroes without a reporter there and they will whistle a different tune.

Misawa
09-09-2008, 03:10 PM
There is absolutely NO justification for it.

Decode
09-09-2008, 05:39 PM

In my opinion if you can't afford a CD/DVD its ok to download it.

Misawa
09-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Nonsense. If you can't afford then you don't get. Nothing in this world is legitimately free.

Decode
09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Nonsense. If you can't afford then you don't get. Nothing in this world is legitimately free.

Well I still don't see anything wrong with downloading movies. The people who make these films earn millions, surely they can afford to give a few away.

Misawa
09-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Hollywood is where the money is, and it is the minority when it comes to film.

Hayd93
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Thats a complete load of rubish. Itunes let you have a free song every now and then and thats perfectly legal ;)

Misawa
09-09-2008, 08:40 PM
:rolleyes:

JackBuddy
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Well I still don't see anything wrong with downloading movies. The people who make these films earn millions, surely they can afford to give a few away.
As I said earlier, bands like Coldplay only earn about 30p from each album sold. Which is very little, but you have to be pretty successful to be a millionare by the time all the costs are shared. I used to download music, but now I just buy them and get them from itunes. The quality is good, it's not recorded from a radio and there is no person sounding like geoge bush at the beginning of the songs. I guess buying music makes me appreciate the music more... don't know why.

jrh2002
09-09-2008, 10:45 PM

If you find a wallet on the street full of cash or something of value like a good mobile phone most would keep it :o There is very little or no chance of being caught and punished for downloading for personal use and with it made so easy i dont see any issue. I am sick of being ripped off where i turn here in the UK so it makes me really happy to think i am getting something for free :) I know you want to go into or are in the film industry so understand where you are coming from but for me I couldnt care less about the film or music industry :o and to say most people who download films are putting money into organsied crime is mad lol stupid labour.

As I said earlier, bands like Coldplay only earn about 30p from each album sold. Which is very little, but you have to be pretty successful to be a millionare by the time all the costs are shared. I used to download music, but now I just buy them and get them from itunes. The quality is good, it's not recorded from a radio and there is no person sounding like geoge bush at the beginning of the songs. I guess buying music makes me appreciate the music more... don't know why.

I am the same with my games and think having the original is much better :) however the music and films i download are perfect 99% of the time :)

PaintYourTarget
09-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I believe that the music which I listen to like rock/indie/alt is more appealing when you see a band live. Bands make an amazing smount from constantly gigging doing licensed venues. There are some bands that never come off the road because they love it and know its the best way to make money. I also think that "illegal" downloading or downloading without a license helps some bands to elevate their career. Go and ask Gym Class Heroes without a reporter there and they will whistle a different tune.
Filesharing is a really good thing. You're more likely to check out a band if you can get a song for free - don't like it? You've lost nothing. Like it? Go see them live, buy an album... everyone wins.

And live music does make you appreciate bands more. I can like a band, go see them, then not listen to anything else for weeks afterwards - it's great.

Pyroka
09-09-2008, 11:55 PM
I like to think of it as, it's not a crime unless you get caught. ;D

DrLacero
10-09-2008, 05:49 AM
lol at this. DONT DOWNLOAD ILLEGALLY >;l
If the FBI cracks down on the site you downloaded from, it can get the IP you downloaded it with, they can track your computer, find where you live, and slap you with a fine of up to $100,000. Don't do it.

I lol'd

You can probably find PS3 ROMs And Emulators somewhere on the internet.

I lol'd even harder

I have over 5000+ Songs and movies uploading on limewire...

You guys are going to have to stop, I'm going to pop a lung if I keep laughing like this.

http://media.tumblr.com/DJH3cv6Qtapvm9wd0TbmIBxS_500.gif

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/General-Jazza/tawnlol.png

I download a lot, I'll admit that. I also occasionally buy what I have downloaded if I think the creator deserves support. The annoying thing about all the propaganda put out there is that people are losing money because of it, not true. The way they work out all this "we have lost x billion this year because of piracy" is buy thinking that everyone who downloaded their movie would actually have bought it if they couldn't download it (even then it doesn't add up so they must be lying too), I wouldn't have done for most of the movies on my computer, nor music or TV Shows or software. I'm not going to stop ever, there is not one thing I can think of that I would stop me.

Also lololol @ everyone here who uses Limewire.

Daphne,
10-09-2008, 06:25 AM
As far as movies and songs go, that's never going to stop. It's just the logic; people don't see why they should wait to buy a whole album when what they really want is to get that song asap and not have to pay anything.
Teenagers these days work for their money and rarely enjoy parting with it.
:)

As long as it's not effecting too many people in a really negative way, the issue isn't pressing enough for huge action to be taken.

JackBuddy
10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I like to think of it as, it's not a crime unless you get caught. ;D
Aren't your parents in the police force!?!

Typical thieving scouser.

e5
10-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, it's fine tbh :D Free stuff is good and like it's barely a big law you break soz lol

JackBuddy
10-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it's fine tbh :D Free stuff is good and like it's barely a big law you break soz lol
Well it is when you think about the billions of pounds worth of files that are downloaded illegaly.

DrLacero
11-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Well it is when you think about the billions of pounds worth of files that are downloaded illegaly.

See:

The way they work out all this "we have lost x billion this year because of piracy" is buy thinking that everyone who downloaded their movie would actually have bought it if they couldn't download it (even then it doesn't add up so they must be lying too)

Not even close to billions.

jrh2002
11-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I have been having a think about this and wanted to know if all those against downloading films are also against recording them on sky+/dvd recorder/vcr ?

I imagine most people record a film off tv so what is the difference in me recording a pretty new movie off sky or downloading it off the net? Recording anything is surely theft through copyright laws but im pretty sure if its for personal use then its overlooked.

Misawa
11-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Nope, because you're paying for your Movie channels, and that covers the cost of Sky's rights to air the films. If you were to unsubscribe from Sky Movies, your Sky+ recordings of those channels would automatically delete.

jrh2002
11-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Nope, because you're paying for your Movie channels, and that covers the cost of Sky's rights to air the films. If you were to unsubscribe from Sky Movies, your Sky+ recordings of those channels would automatically delete.

As soon as you get sky+ activated again all of those films/recordings are available again :) they just stop access to them when sky+ subscription is removed. Ok take out sky+ and if i use my dvd recorder to record a film nobody will ever bother me about it so i personally cant see the difference of downloading the film off the net instead. (I just get the films and not the rubbish dvd extras)

EDIT: The person who said piracy is costing people billions a year :o I believe that they really mean they are not gaining billions a year :o If I download a good film and like it I will go and see future sequals etc at the cinema :) without downloading i would have never given half the films i have a second glance otherwise so in my case they are making money out of me through my downloading.

Misawa
11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Premium Sky channels are copy-protected.

If you keep your Sky+ subscription, but unsubscribe from the Sky Movies channels alone, your Sky Movies recordings will be automatically deleted.

jrh2002
11-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I just had my sky+ put back on after a year of being on cable and all my movies from before i cancelled it are still there :s even from the premium channels and pay channels. Maybe its a new thing so next time when i cancel sky i will lose them? I get crystal clear films off all film channels on sky if i record to a cdrw.

DrLacero
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Ok take out sky+ and if i use my dvd recorder to record a film nobody will ever bother me about it so i personally cant see the difference of downloading the film off the net instead. (I just get the films and not the rubbish dvd extras)

Technically it is illegal, copying anything you don't own even for personal use is still breaching copyright laws, people have been prosecuted in the past for things like recording football off TV.

Misawa
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes, but you have those channels. I'm talking about if you never cancel Sky+, you literally just unsubscribe from the Sky Movies package only - Sky has a variety of different packages at different prices, and they state that if you ever unsubscribe from one package, your Sky+ recordings of the channels in that particular package will be removed from your planner.

You are aloud to record anything for personal use only unless it is live sports and premium films, etc, hence why DVD recorders and VHS recorders exist(ed), and have direct channel integration.

,Jess,
11-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I download illegally just because it's easy to do so. I buy albums and stuff by artists that I really like but I rarely do buy music because it's expensive in shops.

Rixion
11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Woo for mininova.

Recursion
11-09-2008, 05:03 PM
i can't stand watching movies on my PC, I much prefer to watch them on a TV. I used to download a lot of music but now I tend to buy albums as I can just stick them in my car, it's not like the artists and that don't make enough money to cover it.

I stream them over from my PC to our TV using my 360 or our Network Media Player.

Crimson
11-09-2008, 07:44 PM
no,
but we all do it.

Zak
13-09-2008, 12:51 AM
These companies make millions off selling there merchandise for way more than it is worth.

So yea, I couldn't give a **** if I illegally download anything.

jrh2002
20-09-2008, 10:31 PM
There are 1 or 2 people in this thread who seem so anti piracy but then they use music that they bought for personal use and then broadcast to others illegally (copyright laws) which I would class on the same level as me downloading all the new films. I dont care about the law or copyright but some people are just hypocrites.

GommeInc
20-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't see illegal downloading that big a deal to be honest. It's not exactly bad at the moment and does little damage either way. I don't see adobe going bust or famous song writers going bust because of this. There are far worse things and I like Pyroka's logic, "It's not a crime unless you're caught." That's technically what the behaviour is now with it.

Blue.Neon
21-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Singer 'Duffy' doesnt mind people downloading her music without paying for it, aslong as you start paying for it when you start getting money.

I dont download myself, i still go out and buy the albums etc..

Yonder
21-09-2008, 07:39 PM
No its wrong though majority of us do it including me. However put it this way actors/musicians (if popular) are paid a bigger wage now than they ever have done in the past, so cant be all that bad. But then again think how bigger there wage packet would be if we couldnt download illegally.

drama
21-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm gunna use the: 'They earn enough money anyway' arguement.

As i say this i'm torrenting 2 discographys haha

[Jay]
25-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Is it right to download Movies and Games or anything else copyrighted from the internet? Should internet service providers do more checks to try and stop pirate downloaders? Do people only download because they can't afford to pay for it?

What do you think.
I think its fine to a point. See them people who are making movies music and games are making millions and they just being greedy and want more money. There are people out there who cant afford to buy a movie but they may really want to see it. They may not be able to buy thier favourite artist album but they really like thier music and enjoy listening to it. I think that its ok however thinking about the other side of the argument it has gotton a bit out of controll its coming to a point where nearly evryone will have a computer and be able to download things illegaly. This will be a bit unfair on the people making these things.

BlueTackle
28-09-2008, 08:10 AM
people download it coz people sell it off to expencive wich sucks

so yeh its fine by me :)

DJ-Vimto
28-09-2008, 10:49 AM
if it can be ripped from a cd/dvd or other medium, then it can be shared over the internet.

the only way to stop the illegal downloads is to make it impossible to rip songs/movies from a disc.

Monkwrestler
28-09-2008, 12:10 PM
This is my little formula to see what I do with an item I downloaded whether I should keep etc

if(item='good''&price=stupid) then //as in photoshop
execute.keep
if(item='good'&price=sensible) then //such as a movie on DVD
execute.buy
if(item='bad') then
execute.delete
if it is good and I can afford I always buy the item

Casual
28-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Piracy Ftw.

Saves so much money! Like the other day I saw some CD for £15 or sumit :/ i don't download movies on music :)

Recursion
28-09-2008, 01:12 PM
If I LOVE the download ill buy it, like I did with a Gym Class Heros album :P

joshuar
05-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I think things are a tad to expensive, I'll nearly always buy DVDs as I like watching them on my TV, rather than hooking up my laptop and all this jazz.

If you were to buy 1000 songs at 79p each then you would have forked out £7900, which is a lot really. I know albums are cheaper in bulk and that, but that's still alot really.

Nemo
05-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I think things are a tad to expensive, I'll nearly always buy DVDs as I like watching them on my TV, rather than hooking up my laptop and all this jazz.

If you were to buy 1000 songs at 79p each then you would have forked out £7900, which is a lot really. I know albums are cheaper in bulk and that, but that's still alot really.
no it aint xD

1000 x 79 = 79000 divide by 100 = £790.00

flyingbrick
05-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I shamelessly distort my morals when it comes to this.

I'm predominently against it - it's severely affecting the music industry.

I'll buy the albums of my favourite bands - usually on CD, sometimes off iTunes. But if I need to download a song I think is terrible - for some other reason or other, then I'll download it illegally.

I feel you should pay for good music.

People who make bad music can piss off. They're not having my money.

Foals
05-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Why pay for something when you can get it for free, lol.

Arch
06-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Nope should be legal and fine. When you have a project and you photobopy a page in a book, its the same thing. If you cant DL music, BAN photo-Copiers :P

Muppet
12-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Course it's not right. If everyone did that, how would bands/singers, game makers etc. make money?

KnuxIBF
17-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm opposed to downloading music illegally - mostly CDs & iTunes for me on that front, but I do download TV illegally, especially American TV.

It's obvious why I do it - I can't watch it otherwise!

LoveToStack
17-10-2008, 10:37 PM
No one get's upset or charged or their RADIO cut off for taping songs off the radio, yet with the internet everyone gets all upset. If we have the capability to get them for free then there's always going to be people doing it.

le harry
18-10-2008, 11:47 AM
ehh it's free so i don't care. if one person gets caught then surely everyone should.. not that it's possible but yeh

Tintinnabulate
19-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I think illegal downloading is so popular now a days is because the prices for some stuff is just crazy. Paying £50 for a game when the console itself costs just £120? You can get a new console for the price of just 3 games. Its ridiculous.
Maybe if the prices were more affordable, people would buy softwares / dvd's more instead of illegally downloading it.

.:.:jjm261:.:.
19-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Can i just say...

It was in a newspaper that artists make something like 4p from every itunes download

It's like, they're not making hardly anything anyway

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/music/article.html?Apple_threatens_iTunes_shutdown&in_article_id=335202&in_page_id=25

scottish
19-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Gnarls Barkley Crazy - 31000 download sales on iTunes alone
4p per 31000 downloads = £2,066...

£2066 is more than 0 ;)

Recursion
19-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I download because I can't buy it.

If I didn't download it, they still wouldn't get my money, simply because I don't have any.

Suspective
24-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Its a Shame its Ilegal - No I Don't Download Ilegally! :P

coley
18-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Its like saying you can have this laptop free or pay £2000 hmmm only a dumb ass would say i will pay the £2000. Thats how i view people who pay for software :P

scottish
18-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Erm, i won't even say what i think about you wouldn't want infracted, but simply idiot.

Cheapskate.

Rapidshare
18-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Erm, i won't even say what i think about you wouldn't want infracted, but simply idiot.

Cheapskate.

Dont worry,

Millions of people are idiots.

deeveeNoh
18-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I download a hell of a lot of music illegally but I do feel bad about it and I try to buy the albums when I get money if they're worth having.

scottish
23-11-2008, 06:32 PM
ISP's should do more checks and cut the net of piraters without warning imho (to revive this thread)

Decode
23-11-2008, 06:36 PM
ISP's should do more checks and cut the net of piraters without warning imho (to revive this thread)

Thats a bit far fetched. They should get 3 strikes, then get cut off.

awelsh
23-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Tbh I dont care if its illegal to download music free, if I was made to pay for it then I simply wouldnt bother at the prices they charge. Also its not asif the artists are ever short on money are they, unlike the rest of us.

Dan.ox
25-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Put it this way if no one paid for the music they get there'd be no artists, downloading an album is about 7 pounds, with tunes going from 70p to 99p, no wonder the music industry is in trouble with people having this opinion that if it is free you should just take it. You'd be singing a very different tune if it was your creative works people were taking

Dan.ox
25-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Its like saying you can have this laptop free or pay £2000 hmmm only a dumb ass would say i will pay the £2000. Thats how i view people who pay for software :P

I recently paid 297 pound for a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) which was logic pro, you'd be surprised at how taboo it is amongst producers and true music fans to steal software and music

Sorry for double post

Edited by Wayne (Forum Moderator) Please don't double post.

H0BJ0B
25-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Also its not asif the artists are ever short on money are they, unlike the rest of us.

Maybe unknown to you, but artists can't record an album on their own PC, using their £10.99 microphone, then edit it with the backing music, then produce it onto thousands of CDs, then publicise it, then organise tours, etc. by themselves.

The music industry as a whole is affected by illegal downloads. This means that not purchasing one song can affect more than 20 people.

awelsh
28-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Maybe unknown to you, but artists can't record an album on their own PC, using their £10.99 microphone, then edit it with the backing music, then produce it onto thousands of CDs, then publicise it, then organise tours, etc. by themselves.

The music industry as a whole is affected by illegal downloads. This means that not purchasing one song can affect more than 20 people.

Do you really think im that stupid?

I really dont care if me not paying for a song affects 20 people, I wouldnt care if it affected 1,000 people. I purely can not afford to pay for music out there. its around £8 an album, even £20 odd for ones I like. I dont really want to waste any money on them, the last album I bought was Darren Styles - Skydivin' and I hardly listen to it anymore so its been pretty pointless.

scottish
28-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Do you really think im that stupid?

I really dont care if me not paying for a song affects 20 people, I wouldnt care if it affected 1,000 people. I purely can not afford to pay for music out there. its around £8 an album, even £20 odd for ones I like. I dont really want to waste any money on them, the last album I bought was Darren Styles - Skydivin' and I hardly listen to it anymore so its been pretty pointless.

You seriously don't want me to answer the first question.

That shows your a selfish little <rude word ere>, if you can't afford to pay for it theres various sites like youtube where you can listen to it for free. If you don't listen to it much don't buy it, a little bit of common sense tells you that, mind you going back to the first question.......

Rapidshare
28-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Free stuff or buy it?

I choosing free stuff!!!!!!!

Neil
28-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Personally I don't see a problem, bands earn more money from live events anyway, they still get paid, it's only the labels that are losing out and for like £13~ for one album can you really blame people for downloading it for free?

As far as I see it music should be cheaper or free, movies are worth paying for sometimes, but again more money is earnt from cinema showing than anything else, console and PC games I buy because of the amount you get out of it, it's worth the money, PSP and DS games on the other hand aren't worth the money so I see no reason why I can't play them for free since they generally give about the same enjoyment as a flash game does

GommeInc
29-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Put it this way if no one paid for the music they get there'd be no artists, downloading an album is about 7 pounds, with tunes going from 70p to 99p, no wonder the music industry is in trouble with people having this opinion that if it is free you should just take it. You'd be singing a very different tune if it was your creative works people were taking
They get a helluva lot of money from gigs/concerts and any media related events. They barely get alot from the music side, I think a majority of the percentage goes to the companies they're with, rather than the artist, but that may of changed.

Patt
29-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Depends really,
examples of what i would do.
Music - Download (Only if it's a garage band though.)
Tv - Download
Movies - Download
Windows Programs - Buy
Linux Programs - Buy
Apple/Mac/iPod - Download

jrh2002
29-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I have 1000s of films and albums all downloaded illegally :P do I care? of course not. Every day you read the paper about the antics of these so called stars on drugs or drink thinking their above the law flashing their cash behaving like spoilt brats :o I would love to see them have to get a proper job but its never going to happen.

To say there would be no music is pretty stupid because theres thousands of people who would do all this for their own enjoyment if they were given the opportunity but as gomme said they would still make their cash from gigs, events and selling their cd's they made for about 20 pence each.

All my downloaded stuff is for personal use and i dont make a profit so is that a problem? they are not losing a penny because of me because if the only option was to buy it I would just listen to the radio or watch it on sky. The issue here is the pirates at the carboot sales etc who are making profit off the industry :o but if the price of the original stuff was at a reasonable price more would buy it.

Oh and before you mention the consiquences I dont really care ;) let them sue me :eusa_danc and yes i could afford it if i wanted but oh well.

Anybody want a copy of my hard drive? for free of course :eusa_whis

Niall!
29-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Theft is removing the original
Pirating is making a copy of the original but leaving the original in place

My logic therefore tells me that piracy is not illegal.

scottish
29-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Theft is removing the original
Pirating is making a copy of the original but leaving the original in place

My logic therefore tells me that piracy is not illegal.

What an idiotic statement.

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude.

jrh2002
29-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I think he has a point :p its a civil matter between us and the people who own the rights :) unless we are selling it on or distributing it then it becomes illegal and the police will get involved.

scottish
29-11-2008, 01:43 PM
If you download the program your breaking copyright as your taking it without the owners permission/paying the fees, so its infringement to copyright act which is illegal.

jrh2002
29-11-2008, 03:02 PM
If you download the program your breaking copyright as your taking it without the owners permission/paying the fees, so its infringement to copyright act which is illegal.

So why are the companies taking civil action and not involving the police these days :o

jrh2002
29-11-2008, 03:03 PM

So why are the companies taking civil action and not involving the police these days :o maybe because they want money and dont care to much about anybody getting prosecuted. Pure greed :8

Edited by Wayne (Forum Moderator) Please don't double post.

scottish
29-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Because police don't need to be involved, if i sued you for 5k or if i got the police and you got charged 2k and you were the company, what would you do? (examples)

Get 5k or 2k.. obviously the company will take more as if your breaking the law and illegally getting their software they deserve some money.

Decode
29-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Sc0tteh, I pay for some music, if I think the band is good and I rent movies so I am sure the music + film industry gets a fair amount of money of me. The fact is, is that not many people can afford to pay for ALL there music and buy all of there DVD's (including me, I rip dvd's when I rent them because I don't have enough money to buy them).

I think you've got to realise that people can't afford to pay for everything.

scottish
29-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Sc0tteh, I pay for some music, if I think the band is good and I rent movies so I am sure the music + film industry gets a fair amount of money of me. The fact is, is that not many people can afford to pay for ALL there music and buy all of there DVD's (including me, I rip dvd's when I rent them because I don't have enough money to buy them).

I think you've got to realise that people can't afford to pay for everything.

If you can't afford something, you don't get it, it's that simple.

If you can't afford a car you wouldn't dare steal a car, you'd live without it.

Recursion
29-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Once again, Stealing is not Piracy and Piracy is not stealing.

Im a 15 year old kid, I can't afford some software, i.e. Photoshop, I download it instead. I also want a MacBook, I can't afford it and there is no way of getting it for free without it being theft and so I don't get it.

There is a nice thick red line between Piracy and Theft.

scottish
29-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Once again, Stealing is not Piracy and Piracy is not stealing.

Im a 15 year old kid, I can't afford some software, i.e. Photoshop, I download it instead. I also want a MacBook, I can't afford it and there is no way of getting it for free without it being theft and so I don't get it.

There is a nice thick red line between Piracy and Theft.

(i.e. programs) You are STEALING their software, it might be only one license, but its STEALING THAT LICENSE which you SHOULD have to pay for it. That IS against the law, if you think its not you're an IDIOT. If your 15 and can't afford photoshop it's really simple, DONT USE IT use an alternative that's cheaper or free.

Decode
29-11-2008, 08:02 PM

I don't steal stuff, I make copy's of it. There's a difference.

jrh2002
29-11-2008, 08:07 PM
If its stealing then im a thief :) dont care as long as its free :8 they can take me to the civil courts but they have no chance of getting a penny ;)
Police would perhaps give a caution as my stuff is just for personal use and not passed on :)

scottish
29-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't steal stuff, I make copy's of it. There's a difference.

Definition of steal:

take without the owner's consent; "Someone stole my wallet on the train"; "This author stole entire paragraphs from my dissertation"

You're taking the programs without the owners consent and breaking other laws.

Captain
29-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I illegaly download music but I'll pay for it if it's something decent or its for a good cause such as the X Factor song.

Decode
29-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Definition of steal:

take without the owner's consent; "Someone stole my wallet on the train"; "This author stole entire paragraphs from my dissertation"

You're taking the programs without the owners consent and breaking other laws.
I am not taking them, I am copying them.

scottish
29-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Illegally, either way breaking the law.

H0BJ0B
29-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Using something for personal use instead of commercial use makes no difference.

Mint
30-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Illegal downloading, what would we do without it?

Vodge
30-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Everything on my computer has been downloaded, even the OS.

Only paid for the laptop.

Recursion
30-11-2008, 09:05 AM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3A+piracy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Nowhere on that page says theft or steal.

Blinger1
30-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Well, that is wrong.

# Piracy the illegal duplication of copyrighted software without the permission of the software owner or publisher.

# Piracy is a robbery committed at sea, or sometimes on the shore, without a commission from a sovereign nation (robbery with sovereign commission is privateering, and distinct from piracy). ...

:rolleyes:

Recursion
30-11-2008, 10:37 AM
That last point isn't software piracy... :rolleyes:

Blinger1
30-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I know, I was pointing out that it implies something about theft/stealing.

# illegal copying of a product such as software or music

Recursion
30-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Thats not the point :eusa_doh:

Nick.
30-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I only download things I wouldn't pay for anyway, for example Adobe Photoshop, I would never have the money for it, and if I did they would never have it, so I download it because either way they wouldn't be getting my money. For things that I have the money for and would buy, I buy it. Movies I buy (most of the time, sometimes I download new releases in MP4 format).

jrh2002
30-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Using something for personal use instead of commercial use makes no difference.

Of course it does :s if you buy a dvd or cd for yourself thats an original from the shop its only for personal use. If you then decide to broadcast it in your shop, taxi office, cinema or anywhere else outside the home that benefits random strangers you are breaking the law. it usually tells you about this on the dvd or cd in the copyright part.

Anyway i was not on about commercial use.

If the police caught me with my copied material that never leaves my home that is for my personal use so they would either:

A) Ignore it (unless it was the reason they raided my home)
B) Take away my hard drive and caution me and then let the companies take civil action if they wanted.

If the police caught the local chinese guy who sells the dvd's around here they would charge him for the offence.

To say people who sell on copyrighted material for their own profit is the same as me having a copy i downloaded solely for me is a rediculous statement. The people who they are cracking down on are the people distributing the material for profit.

Your stance is a bit hypocritical when you broadcast your music that although maybe bought original copies but it is for personal use ONLY and not for broadcasting so you are as guilty as me if not more so in breaking copyright laws as it involves 100s of people every time you play a song.

How many dj's have actually paid for their sam broadcaster? i dont know any who have so maybe to allow them to dj they must provide you with proof they have paid for their version.

I have nothing against anybody downloading or using copies of anything but I dislike it when a number of people in this thread are telling us how bad we are but then break copyright laws themselves in one way or another.

scottish
30-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Of course it does :s if you buy a dvd or cd for yourself thats an original from the shop its only for personal use. If you then decide to broadcast it in your shop, taxi office, cinema or anywhere else outside the home that benefits random strangers you are breaking the law. it usually tells you about this on the dvd or cd in the copyright part.

Anyway i was not on about commercial use.

If the police caught me with my copied material that never leaves my home that is for my personal use so they would either:

A) Ignore it (unless it was the reason they raided my home)
B) Take away my hard drive and caution me and then let the companies take civil action if they wanted.

If the police caught the local chinese guy who sells the dvd's around here they would charge him for the offence.

To say people who sell on copyrighted material for their own profit is the same as me having a copy i downloaded solely for me is a rediculous statement. The people who they are cracking down on are the people distributing the material for profit.

Your stance is a bit hypocritical when you broadcast your music that although maybe bought original copies but it is for personal use ONLY and not for broadcasting so you are as guilty as me if not more so in breaking copyright laws as it involves 100s of people every time you play a song.

How many dj's have actually paid for their sam broadcaster? i dont know any who have so maybe to allow them to dj they must provide you with proof they have a paid for their version.

I have nothing against anybody downloading or using copies of anything but I dislike it when a number of people in this thread are telling us how bad we are but then break copyright laws themselves in one way or another.

As your breaching copyright by illegally downloading the software in the first place they would take action, as would the companys your taking the software from.

If your saying "If i download a movie and watch it myself" is different from "If i download a movie and show it to my school" both ways is breaking the law, as your illegally downloading that movie in the first place.

jrh2002
30-11-2008, 02:29 PM
As your breaching copyright by illegally downloading the software in the first place they would take action, as would the companys your taking the software from.

If your saying "If i download a movie and watch it myself" is different from "If i download a movie and show it to my school" both ways is breaking the law, as your illegally downloading that movie in the first place.

I was pointing out how some here are breaking the exact same laws with original material they have bought. :S i did mention buying from the shops :rolleyes:

Illegal downloading for personal use is not in the same bracket as if I downloaded, made 100 copies and went out and sold them. You may say it is but look at the criminal cases and punishments and you will struggle to see any that an individual has been charged for the offence when its for personal use only. You will however see many people who sell on copies who do get charged but they only walk away with a fine.

Me illegally downloading for personal use

or

Me downloading illegally to broadcast to others

Same offence? YES
Same punishment? NO
View the cases to see im right.

Me downloading illegally for myself is not as bad in the eyes of the law as you downloading LEGALLY and then broadcasting to others. They are both the same or similar offence but the person who is broadcasting to others they would be deemed to be worse than me.

N!ck
30-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I have no issue with it as long as the person is not profiting from it (although you could claim that the person you are selling to is not paying for the copied article, merely your service, time and effort of putting a disc in a drive and clicking burn added on to the raw material costs).

Although you are not removing the original copy, it is still theft. You are gaining something that you should have paid for for free. Therefore it is theft.

awelsh
30-11-2008, 06:48 PM
You seriously don't want me to answer the first question.

That shows your a selfish little <rude word ere>, if you can't afford to pay for it theres various sites like youtube where you can listen to it for free. If you don't listen to it much don't buy it, a little bit of common sense tells you that, mind you going back to the first question.......

Oh **** off, im sorry im not loaded like some. Go and shove your big head up your arse.

Edited by Wayne (Forum Moderator) Please don't be rude.

Phoenix11
30-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I dont like it at all.

Niall!
30-11-2008, 07:36 PM

But piracy isn't theft as my previous post in this thread states very clearly.

Nick.
30-11-2008, 07:37 PM
(i.e. programs) You are STEALING their software, it might be only one license, but its STEALING THAT LICENSE which you SHOULD have to pay for it. That IS against the law, if you think its not you're an IDIOT. If your 15 and can't afford photoshop it's really simple, DONT USE IT use an alternative that's cheaper or free.
But if he would never, ever, ever be able to afford Photoshop, why not download it because they would never have his cash anyway so it wouldn't make a difference.

Nuka-Cola
30-11-2008, 07:56 PM
stealing is stealing just in this form you are stealing something through you computer. It costs the industries millions every year especcially the music industry.

Nick.
30-11-2008, 08:08 PM
stealing is stealing just in this form you are stealing something through you computer. It costs the industries millions every year especcially the music industry.
I'm sure Beyonce isn't missing the 79p I didn't pay for her song, mind you, she does seem very deprived....
http://image18.webshots.com/19/9/29/67/220592967rpeWQO_ph.jpg
Yes, that is Beyonce's house.

H0BJ0B
01-12-2008, 06:49 PM

That's different. That's when you BOUGHT the actual original. I'm saying illegally downloading the 'thing' for personal use is just as bad as downloading and playing in a shop for example.

Anyway, not once have I said I'm against it - I download illegally all the time, however I know what effect it has, unlike the guy who I fought against originally saying that the singers and loaded and don't need more money.

jrh2002
01-12-2008, 09:22 PM
illegally downloading the 'thing' for personal use is just as bad as downloading and playing in a shop for example.

Openly breaking the law would/should get you a much bigger penalty than having something for personal use. Playing a copy of a cd in public would be fine i assume as long as you have a license to do so.

Under UK copyright law (the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988) licences are required if music is to be played in public. The Performing Rights Society (http://www.scilly.gov.uk/link.htm?pk_link=141) (PRS) and Phonographic Performances Ltd (http://www.scilly.gov.uk/link.htm?pk_link=140) (PPL) both issue licences to the owner of the premises. The latter will also issue licences to individuals if they are to hold, for example, a disco, dance sessions or aerobics classes.

British law
In British Law, any modification of data stored on a computer so that unauthorised access is gained to software packages, games, movies, and music would be a criminal offence under §3 Computer Misuse Act 1990 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Misuse_Act_1990). So, if a read-only music CD is placed in a PC drive and the contents loaded into the computer's memory for playing, any application that allows the music to be copied and stored on the machine or an MP3 player would commit the offence in theory but, so far, there have been no prosecutions on this set of facts. More generally, §16 and 20 Copyright, Designs & Patents Act 1988 (as amended by the Copyright and Trade Marks (Offences and Enforcement) Act 2002) covers copyrighted materials. However this does grant the right to create backup copies of software, so that the original can be kept safe from damage, technically meaning companies must provide either additional discs or the means to overcome any copy protection. People who distribute and download copyrighted recordings without permission are liable to face civil actions for damages and penalties (the largest to date is £6,500, or $12,120.55). As in the United States, the enforcement agencies were able to identify the IP addresses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address) and the ISPs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISP) were obliged to disclose the name and address of the owner of each such internet account but legislation was passed recently so that it isn't compulsory to hand over the information.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]
A 2006 survey carried out for the National Consumer Council indicated that over half of British adults infringe copyright law by copying and ripping music CDs, with 59% stating a belief that copying for personal use is legal.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#cite_note-38) However, ripping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping) music from CDs to another format, such as MP3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3), is currently illegal. In 2006 The Institute for Public Policy Research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_for_Public_Policy_Research) called for a "public right to copy".[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#cite_note-39) In January 2008 the government proposed changes to copyright law that would legalise copying for personal use.[41] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#cite_note-40)

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Copyright_infringement&action=edit&section=9)] Criminal offences

For the most part, the criminal law is only used for commercial copyright infringement with one exception[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)], and an offence is committed when knowing or reasonably suspecting that the files are illegal copies[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)], and without the permission of the copyright owner, a person:

makes unauthorised copies e.g. burning music files or films on to CD-Rs or DVD-Rs;
distributes, sells or hires out unauthorised copies of CDs, VCDs and DVDs;
on a larger scale, distributes unauthorised copies as a commercial enterprise on the internet;
possesses unauthorised copies with a view to distributing, selling or hiring these to other people;
while not dealing commercially, distributes unauthorised copies of software packages, books, music, games, and films on such a scale as to have a measurable impact on the copyright owner's business;
publishing someone else's original copy work and claiming you have made it. (This is known as plagiarism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism) and is completely different from copyright infringement, but laws concerning it come under the section of copyright law in some countries);
certain copyrights allow Archival copies of software to be made however these are not to be distributed.
The penalties for these "copyright infringement" offences depend on the seriousness of the offences:

before a magistrates' Court, the penalties for distributing unauthorised files are a maximum fine of £5,000 and/or six months imprisonment;
in the Crown Court, the penalties for distributing unauthorised files are an unlimited fine and/or up to 10 years imprisonment.
Also note §24 Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003 which creates a range of offences relating to the distribution of any device, product or component which is primarily designed, produced, or adapted for the purpose of enabling or facilitating the circumvention of effective technological measures. When this is for non-commercial purposes, it requires there to be a measurable effect on the rights holder's business.

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Copyright_infringement&action=edit&section=10)] Comparison to theft

Further information: Dowling v. United States (1985) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowling_v._United_States_(1985)) Copyright infringement is often equated with theft, for instance in the title of the No Electronic Theft Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NET_Act) of 1997 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997), but differs in certain respects.
Courts have distinguished between copyright infringement and theft, holding, for instance, in Dowling v. United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowling_v._United_States_(1985)) (1985 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985)) that bootleg phonorecords did not (for the purpose of the case) constitute stolen property, and writing:

interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The Copyright Act even employs a separate term of art to define one who misappropriates a copyright: ... 'an infringer of the copyright.' ...
The infringer invades a statutorily defined province guaranteed to the copyright holder alone. But he does not assume physical control over the copyright; nor does he wholly deprive its owner of its use. While one may colloquially link infringement with some general notion of wrongful appropriation, infringement plainly implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.

—Dowling v. United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowling_v._United_States_(1985)), 473 U.S. 207, pp. 217–218
The key distinction generally drawn, as indicated above, is that while copyright infringement may (or may not) cause economic loss to the copyright holder, as theft does, it does not appropriate a physical object, nor deprive the copyright holder of the use of the copyright. That information can be replicated without destroying an original is an old observation,[42] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#cite_note-41) and a cornerstone of intellectual property (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property) law. In economic terms, information is not an exclusive (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Exclusivity_(economics)&action=edit&redlink=1) good; this has led some to argue that it is very different in character, and that laws for physical property and intellectual property should be very different.[43] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#cite_note-42)
Conversely, as the above states, "theft" is used colloquially to indicate "wrongful appropriation".[44] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#cite_note-43) The use of the term "theft" to indicate various mental crimes, has a long history in Jewish law, in the tenant of Geneivat da'at (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneivat_da%27at) (גניבת דעת‎, literally "mind theft"), though this primarily deals with deception (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception) or fraud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud), not copyright.
The debate on whether to call copyright infringement "theft" thus turns on how meaningful this distinction is, and how misleading it is to equate the terms: is copyright infringement essentially theft, or is it fundamentally different in character? More broadly, how similar are physical property and intellectual property (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property)?

The penalties for these "copyright infringement" offences depend on the seriousness of the offences:

before a magistrates' Court, the penalties for distributing unauthorised files are a maximum fine of £5,000 and/or six months imprisonment;
in the Crown Court, the penalties for distributing unauthorised files are an unlimited fine and/or up to 10 years imprisonment.

See here that that this is on about distributing the copyrighted material and no mention of personal use.

JackBuddy
01-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm sure Beyonce isn't missing the 79p I didn't pay for her song, mind you, she does seem very deprived....
http://image18.webshots.com/19/9/29/67/220592967rpeWQO_ph.jpg
Yes, that is Beyonce's house.
Huge bands such as Coldplay only actually recieve 15-30p per album. Beyonce is one of the biggest acts in the industry... ever. It's a bit OTT to use her as an example.

H0BJ0B
01-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Openly ... use.

Lol - I laughed in real life.

Anyway, my only argument is against saying that artists are the only ones affected and they get loads already :D.

awelsh
02-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Lol - I laughed in real life.

Anyway, my only argument is against saying that artists are the only ones affected and they get loads already :D.

Which is what I said in my first post which you clearly then decided to say something stupid like "duhhh they dont use £10 microphones to record"

Basically your all for it, yet your complaining about others downloading stuff too.

Also, about your point where its still harmful for personal use as it is public use. If I were to show some downloaded movies to a crowd full of people in the center of town that would be a lot worst than me simply watching the film by myself at home. This is because I have not only watched it myself, but I have openly shown it to another 20+ people knowing I didnt even pay for it to begin.

H0BJ0B
02-12-2008, 10:56 PM
You said that they do, I'm saying they don't (note the word *against*).

I don't mind illegally downloading, no, and I haven't once complained about people downloading?

My point, as you said, was that it's still harmful for personal use as it is commercial/public - and that's true. Although showing it to lots of people is worse, doing it personally is still bad.

I don't mind it, I just hate how many are ignorant to the fact that it has effects on people other than the artist ;).

kuzkasate
03-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Should it be legal: Yes people do it anyway
Why do people do it: Not because they cant afford to buy but to make money!

Decode
03-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Should it be legal: Yes people do it anyway
Why do people do it: Not because they cant afford to buy but to make money!
Lol? How do people do it to make money?

H0BJ0B
03-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Should it be legal: No, it deters many, many, many people.
Why do people do it: So they don't have to spend money on music (different to other things because there are many, many, many songs.

timROGERS
03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Believe it or not, it has been said that companies like Adobe survive from illegal downloads. People tend to download these programs as teenagers, but if they become graphics designers in the future, they will influence their employer to purchase the applications because a business cannot afford to use illegal software :P There's an article about this at http://www.devlounge.net/articles/piracy-adobe’s-best-friend.

I also agree with the point that with the expensive things like Photoshop, someone of our age would not buy them because they are too expensive, so they are not actually losing any business. Although I definitely do not prescribe to the excuse that people don't have enough money to buy music.

Glasses
07-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I download the music then send a message to the artist on myspace.
I have permission :]

If its a film then I'll just buy it because I can't be arsed waiting like 3 hours for a poor quality movie to be downloaded.

Nick.
07-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I download the music then send a message to the artist on myspace.
I have permission :]

If its a film then I'll just buy it because I can't be arsed waiting like 3 hours for a poor quality movie to be downloaded.
what do you mean you have permission?? :S

Rapidshare
07-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Lol? How do people do it to make money?

Like me ect

I download movies, and sell them cheap :eusa_whis

Decode
07-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Like me ect

I download movies, and sell them cheap :eusa_whis
You are in the small minority who do that :P Most people download films/music for personal use.

Kevin
08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I download my music/movies/applications ect for personal use, im a student and personally cant afford 300€ for photoshop ect, I do have a genuine windows licence however.

,Lexiilu
09-12-2008, 01:30 AM
I'll admit I do download quite a bit illegally. But seriously, for DJs especially, most of us aren't going to pay 99 cents per song and if we buy 900 songs....Thats $900 to Dj/450 Pounds to DJ....Yeah right.

Blinger1
09-12-2008, 01:57 AM
YOU'RE FIRED!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqw9Ec5ipE&feature=related

AlexOC
10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
i have never or never will in my lifetime download(ed), stream(ed) or listen(ed) to illegal document, songs, movies or any material that has been published by an authorized publisher.

*Cough*

Daikichi
13-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Illegal downloading can't really be stopped. We all atleast once downloaded something 'illegally' or without consent of the developer or artist. For any of the arists and developers, my only advice is if you don't want it all over the internet, then don't post it. :D

drama
13-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I owe FL studios a good £2000 from downloading lol

scottish
13-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Illegal downloading can't really be stopped. We all atleast once downloaded something 'illegally' or without consent of the developer or artist. For any of the arists and developers, my only advice is if you don't want it all over the internet, then don't post it. :D

I ain't.

awelsh
13-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I ain't.

So your saying you've paid for everything you have ever downloaded that would normally cost you?

Bit well off aint you

scottish
13-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes i have, only programs i've ever downloaded is ones which are free like Speedfan, Coretemp and other monitoring programs, and ones like AVG, ZoneAlarms, CCleaners etc etc.

Decode
13-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Yes i have, only programs i've ever downloaded is ones which are free like Speedfan, Coretemp and other monitoring programs, and ones like AVG, ZoneAlarms, CCleaners etc etc.

But say you needed a program that wasn't free, what would you do?

FlyingJesus
13-12-2008, 09:40 PM

*wanted

I don't think people generally NEED these programs, and if they really couldn't get by without them then it would be entirely possible to buy it regardless of cost - because necessary things always have priority over other things. It doesn't bother me really, but don't confuse want for need when it comes to stealing :P

Decode
13-12-2008, 10:01 PM
*wanted

I don't think people generally NEED these programs, and if they really couldn't get by without them then it would be entirely possible to buy it regardless of cost - because necessary things always have priority over other things. It doesn't bother me really, but don't confuse want for need when it comes to stealing :P

It could be needed, if your disk had errors on it which was stopping you from booting you would need a program like spinrite to repair your disk.

scottish
13-12-2008, 10:02 PM

Buy it, i have programs like spyware doctor which cost 30 quid or somit o.0

at above post i'd just reformat

Homosexual
14-12-2008, 12:01 PM
it's the makers fault for not making it secure enough

//0.02$

N!ck
14-12-2008, 12:05 PM
it's the makers fault for not making it secure enough

//0.02$

No matter how secure they make, someone will generally always find a way around it.

Wayne
14-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Illegal downloading is virtually impossible to prevent. There are too many people who supply everybody with downloads and there are too many sites and programs that allow illegal downloads. Even if such programs and sites were closed, people would still rip DVDs and CDs and send them around etc.

Homosexual
14-12-2008, 12:09 PM
md5hash the whole program :P

N!ck
14-12-2008, 12:11 PM
md5hash the whole program :P

There's always a trade-off between security and use-ability. That would be pretty secure, but basically impassible to use.

Homosexual
14-12-2008, 12:33 PM
i know, that's the point.

Captain
14-12-2008, 08:10 PM
I'll admit I do download quite a bit illegally. But seriously, for DJs especially, most of us aren't going to pay 99 cents per song and if we buy 900 songs....Thats $900 to Dj/450 Pounds to DJ....Yeah right.

Your not really a DJ though, all you do is play songs on a habbo website

Homosexual
14-12-2008, 08:20 PM
real dj's get them free with all the money they make

Niall!
14-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Game publishers have stopped caring about Piracy because there's no way around it, indeed the new Prince of Persia window version was released with no protection whatsoever because someone would just crack it anyway.

Recursion
15-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I have started to buy more of my Music and Movies now I actually have some money coming in.

scottish
15-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Game publishers have stopped caring about Piracy because there's no way around it, indeed the new Prince of Persia window version was released with no protection whatsoever because someone would just crack it anyway.

Then what happens eventually game developers realise that most people arent buying the pc games just pirating them so they realise theres not much money to make so they quit devloping then we lose good games because cheapskates who can't afford 30 quid for a game.

Recursion
15-12-2008, 08:58 PM
£30 is a lot of money for 10 - 30 year olds. We have other things to pay for, such as essentials to live on.

scottish
15-12-2008, 09:01 PM
The way you say that are you assuming im over 30/under 10? :P

I have to pay for stuff aswell, yet i can still afford that stuff.

Recursion
16-12-2008, 11:53 AM
You'd be extremely sad to be over 30 and still use HXF LOL.

Under 10 and generally your parents buy ya stuff.

Jordy
16-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Game publishers have stopped caring about Piracy because there's no way around it, indeed the new Prince of Persia window version was released with no protection whatsoever because someone would just crack it anyway.That isn't the case, Game Publishers are actually taking people to court and sending people letters, the music and video industries haven't done this in the UK (yet...).

Nearly all recent PC Games come with absolutely loads of DRM stuff. The main consequence of illegal downloading is stuff like Gears of War 2 has refused to come to the PC because of fear of illegal downloading.

Lulz
17-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm downloading 41 films at the moment. At like 15 pound per dvd. It's like £600+ - I'm not wasting that on something I'm going to watch once.

Oleh
21-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I only download because i dont see the point in wanting A song and paying up to 80p for it when i could download it, we already pay for the internet to download it, downloading stuff is always healthy, some people i know download a movie and if they like it theyll buy the proper movie, they download a song and if they like it they buy the album, such as me, i downloaded FIfa 09 and Saints row 2 and have both on original, i wanted them to try them, i have 80 legit games, and i have 80 games total if you get me, just a simple matter of do you do it out of spite or because you cant afford it.

Verrou
22-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Gah my friend is really bad with this:
http://www.xcoder.co.nz/images/movies.jpghttp://www.xcoder.co.nz/images/movies2.jpghttp://i42.tinypic.com/s5bhv9.jpg

And he has over 2000 songs :S I only download movies that either aren't release in New Zealand yet or they are no longer in theatres and yet to come out on DVD, as for music if I want a song i'll download it, why get the whole album when I only want one song?

Homosexual
22-12-2008, 09:58 AM
I mean, it's not like the world will end if we don't buy anything. The economy might, but not the world.

N!ck
22-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Gah my friend is really bad with this:
http://www.xcoder.co.nz/images/movies.jpghttp://www.xcoder.co.nz/images/movies2.jpg

And he has over 2000 songs :S I only download movies that either aren't release in New Zealand yet or they are no longer in theatres and yet to come out on DVD, as for music if I want a song i'll download it, why get the whole album when I only want one song?

That's nothing mate ;).

Robbie
22-12-2008, 11:26 AM
ew, aXXo releases :(

N!ck
22-12-2008, 11:28 AM
ew, aXXo releases :(

For people who like 700MB releases, aXXo is the way to go.

DrLacero
22-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Gears of War 2 has refused to come to the PC because of fear of illegal downloading.

Didn't they say that about the first one? :P

Homosexual
22-12-2008, 01:23 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169688

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!