PDA

View Full Version : VVIP Feature ~ Name Reservations.

J0SH
02-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Right, it's to do with a name change reservation. As you see my forum name is "Josh". It's my real name (obviously). So I'd want to keep it was my forum name forever, but if I wanna change it I don't wanna lose Josh do I? So we should have a reservation feature so that if it's Easter and I wanted the name Easter Bunny and I requested that with a reservation, even if my VVIP runs out, I'd still have the reservation because I requested it within a time and that way once the Easter hype is gone I could get my name Josh back.

Obviously I used the Easter thing as a example but you may want a name of a celebrity or something. :P

It's 7AM and I am knackered so I tried to make sence as well as I could, lol.

paradox
02-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Good idea tbh :/
Use it

nvrspk4
02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Its a possibility. And there would have to be a time limit on the hold obv, you can't hold names for like more than three months say? Would that be fair you think?

Earthquake
02-09-2008, 07:50 AM
I think this is a great idea, let me have my username earthquake back.

The Professor
02-09-2008, 08:34 AM
And you can only hold names you've previously owned?

Lee
02-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Thats a brilliant idea, and yes I suppose that would be fair Alex :P

shizzle
02-09-2008, 10:13 AM
I think this is a great idea, let me have my username earthquake back.
*steals idea* It would be a good Idea, but I don't know how to feature will be embedded.

Coldplay
02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a fair and good idea to me

Funya Chin
02-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I want the name Adam, make it happen! NOW!

GommeInc
02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
It's a good idea, but unfair for many who may have the same name. If you want a name change, say to "Slappy Happy Goldfish," another Josh could ask for the name Josh because it is now available. Depends if the pros out weigh the cons I guess.

And you can only hold names you've previously owned?
That does seem safer :P

Recursion
02-09-2008, 01:34 PM
And so then your using double the usernames you need to be using which means less choice for new members...

imo, if you've changed names, you leave the old one behind for the takings.

J0SH
02-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Aye, but the whole idea would be good as nvr said, 3 months say. That way I could have say the name "Hello" for 3 months and then after 3 months I will get my name Josh back because it would be kept on reservation, it's just if you feel you want a new name and then you can change back so people know who you are etc. :P

@Tawm, that's not the point ;) There could still be plenty of usernames.

Wootzeh
02-09-2008, 02:35 PM
And so then your using double the usernames you need to be using which means less choice for new members...

I'm with Tawm on this one. :)

J0SH
02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
And that would be the whole point in this feature, this way members avoid getting there name taken, let's just say they claim "dibs" on it, that way other memebers can't take someones name and pretend to be them or whatever. :P

Bren
02-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Very good idea :) 3 months is a very reasonable time to hold a name aswell ;) Hope the idea goes further.

TehJoshy
02-09-2008, 07:13 PM
but i want the name Josh :(!

Good Idea though :)

nvrspk4
03-09-2008, 01:27 AM
We'd have to note that this feature would be for VIP+ only. This way, it wouldn't be every VIP reserving one. I don't think the number of VIP+s will skyrocket, so the number of reserved usernames will not be extraordinarily high. You would only be able to reserve the current name as you switched to another one (obviously if you changed names again you COULD hold onto the first one and simply forego the one you changed from, example, I reserve nvrspk4 and change my name to Bob, then change my name to Zigzagoon, freeing up Bob but choosing to keep the reservation on nvrspk4 before it runs out.)

We may have to down the reservation period to two months, and there'd have to be some rule against keeping a name for two months, changing to it then changing to something else a week later simply to keep the reservation.

Leetzgirl
03-09-2008, 01:42 AM
We'd have to note that this feature would be for VIP+ only. This way, it wouldn't be every VIP reserving one. I don't think the number of VIP+s will skyrocket, so the number of reserved usernames will not be extraordinarily high. You would only be able to reserve the current name as you switched to another one (obviously if you changed names again you COULD hold onto the first one and simply forego the one you changed from, example, I reserve nvrspk4 and change my name to Bob, then change my name to Zigzagoon, freeing up Bob but choosing to keep the reservation on nvrspk4 before it runs out.)

We may have to down the reservation period to two months, and there'd have to be some rule against keeping a name for two months, changing to it then changing to something else a week later simply to keep the reservation.

how would you keep note of this??

oh and it a good idea ;)

J0SH
03-09-2008, 04:08 AM

Exactly the point I was trying to make, we can have a forum exactly like the name request forum but this is actually setting a reservation so after a period of two months you get your original name back.

No sorry Josh it's mine. :D You could get "Jcsh" :O

joshuar
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I do agree with Tawn on this one, but if it's a VIP+ feature then that will be better.

GommeInc
03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
@Tawm, that's not the point ;) There could still be plenty of usernames.
But very little original names, which is what people want. I can see Tawm's point, if you change your name, you dump the old one for others to use. The only people who could reserve names would be staff who hold another name for special events or their name before they became staff, but then that could be seen as a bit unfair too.

MissAlice
03-09-2008, 10:54 PM

But very little original names, which is what people want. I can see Tawm's point, if you change your name, you dump the old one for others to use. The only people who could reserve names would be staff who hold another name for special events or their name before they became staff, but then that could be seen as a bit unfair too.

I agree with you both.

I know this idea would be beneficial for a minority of members, but I do feel it could also cause a few problems, at some point. If a new member joined the forum and wanted to use their Habbo name, and it was in use on the forum, they would be forced to create something different, if the name then became available, I do feel that person who owns the Habbo name should be allowed to have it.

Therefore if you ask for a name change you really should lose the right to any previous name. I know name changing is a feature of VIP but storing names I don't think should be. Many members do want to be associated with their own Habbo name, and you could well be depriving them of it.

Nice idea, but there are possible problems.

nvrspk4
04-09-2008, 05:25 AM
I agree with you both.

I know this idea would be beneficial for a minority of members, but I do feel it could also cause a few problems, at some point. If a new member joined the forum and wanted to use their Habbo name, and it was in use on the forum, they would be forced to create something different, if the name then became available, I do feel that person who owns the Habbo name should be allowed to have it.

Therefore if you ask for a name change you really should lose the right to any previous name. I know name changing is a feature of VIP but storing names I don't think should be. Many members do want to be associated with their own Habbo name, and you could well be depriving them of it.

Nice idea, but there are possible problems.

While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the general idea that this shouldn't be implemented, I disagree with it based on this reasoning simply because the member's right to their Habbo name is paramount. VIPs will - and have - been forced to change their names if they use that of a person on Habbo. When inactive accounts occupy the names, we will even change that name and email them because we have decided that members have a right to use their Habbo name (within reasonable limits, we had to set a one-change per month policy for non-VIPs due to some people abusing it and requesting a name change like every week.)

I would like to hear the other side of the argument against this more before we implemented it because there are always two sides.

@Gomme > If it was a VIP+ feature it wouldn't be that many names. Also, its not like they can hang on forever, they have it for a month or two so it would be a one-off type of thing. Might fifty or maybe sixty (I'm predicting worst, or rather best case, the current number is closer to 20) names be reserved? Well yeah, but not all at the same time.

Recursion
04-09-2008, 07:12 AM
a month would be reasonable I guess, but still, it is quite hard to find a decent name at the moment, let alone with a load of reservations to make it even harder.

today
04-09-2008, 09:18 AM
i dont see the point its too much hassle.

Nick-
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM

Hit the nail on the head ^^

Also, whats stopping a completely new member registering a name that's under reservation? Presumably the system will be based around a thread in the VIP Lounge rather than actually written into the Forum's coding which will be checked and updated as name changes are requested. The new member wouldn't be aware of the reservation system and we (and when I say we I mean I because it'll probably end up being my responsibility) would have to PM the new user forcing them to change their name to something that's available and not under reservation. That doesn't really give the best first impression of Forum Staff if we have to be stern from the moment a new user registers. What if the new user doesn't comply and doesn't offer a new name? Obviously it'll need to be changed but to what? NewUser001? Not exactly personal...

There's also a little room for abuse too, there's nothing stopping an already registered member registering another account to be deliberately vindictive to someone who's reserved that name. If this is the case they aren't likely to be fine with us changing the accounts name to something that's available. If this continues, eventually we'll have built up quite a list of 'NewUser001' ;)

Name changes already involve several steps too, it isn't just a case of changing the name and replying to the thread stating what's been changed or whether the name is unavailable. There's quite a lengthy thread hidden from view which I have to update detailing each change I make for reference purposes. Which is why I get a bit peeved when VIPs request name changes that are unavailable because I have to go back and remove what I've just attempted to change assuming that the VIP knows that the name is available. ;) Adding another step, to this process makes the whole thing a lot more time consuming for all VIPs and a lot more hassle for me to do, especially if a VIP requests a name that's under reservation or unavailable.

Although it's a nice idea and, in theory, quite an appealing perk of VIP+, in practise, it's a bit more complicated. :(

GommeInc
04-09-2008, 01:54 PM
@Gomme > If it was a VIP+ feature it wouldn't be that many names. Also, its not like they can hang on forever, they have it for a month or two so it would be a one-off type of thing. Might fifty or maybe sixty (I'm predicting worst, or rather best case, the current number is closer to 20) names be reserved? Well yeah, but not all at the same time.
Defeats the norm for most forums. You either stay with your name or you get rid of it for a new one. It seems a bit of pointless feature to hold onto, especially if members reserve a name for a month. It depends if you finally fix the VIP issues by having a team of VIP leaders. I would feel sorry for the poor VIP editor who will have to deal with more added to his work load...It'll be easier just to lower the price of VIP+ really :/ The name does suggest it's adding to VIP, not making it completely different so maybe a small added price between the two seems reasonable. Looking between the two it should be no-more than £2.50p

I never realised this, the VIP - VIP+ - Normal Member table isn't a proper table, it's all mis-aligned :P

MissAlice
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the general idea that this shouldn't be implemented, I disagree with it based on this reasoning simply because the member's right to their Habbo name is paramount. VIPs will - and have - been forced to change their names if they use that of a person on Habbo. When inactive accounts occupy the names, we will even change that name and email them because we have decided that members have a right to use their Habbo name (within reasonable limits, we had to set a one-change per month policy for non-VIPs due to some people abusing it and requesting a name change like every week.)

I would like to hear the other side of the argument against this more before we implemented it because there are always two sides.

I would of said more, but it was late and I needed my sleep. I'm glad to read that there is care taken with regards to Habbo names, because after all we all know this is a Habbo fansite forum, and although it may not be of paramount importance, it is still important.

I also, like Nick- do have my concerns about members being vindictive and using names just for the fun of it. It would actually be quite confusing if two VIP+'s during let's say a 6 month period both used the same name, it might not be account sharing but it's certainly name sharing :P Has this actually ever happened?

I know that the thread creator has a unique name, even though it's not his Habbo name, as I do know Josh the Habbo ;) So I can also understand why this idea has been put forward, and I sympathise with him, because of the risk of losing his unique account here. Maybe a better idea would be to allow VIP+, to reserve one name and one name only, and not be allowed to change the reserved name while they are paying for the service, although they could change to any other name that's available in the meantime, and should they stop paying for the service their name reverts to the reserved one. Wouldn't this be a lot simpler?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!