PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla comment on "Google Chrome"

marriott0.01
03-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Mozilla comments on Google Chrome announcement, says it won't compete with Firefox

Browser wars: it's enough to get your panties in a twist

Following the announcement (http://www.t3.com/news/google-chrome-set-takes-on-the-internet-browser-market?=36567) of Google's Chrome browser, PC Pro has snagged an interview (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/222147/mozilla-googles-not-trying-to-kill-us.html) with Tristan Nitot, the President of Mozilla Europe. In the interview, he makes some interesting comments regarding the relationship between Google and Mozilla's open source browser, Firefox, claiming that whilst big G's plans will be "a really serious competitor", they're not worried too much.

It's heartening to hear Mozilla isn't upset about Google trampling all over them with the launch of its own browser rival, as Nitot claims Chrome is "using part of our technology", although what part, he's not sure. Google "tends to be pretty secretive about everything", and with everybody allowed to "take pieces of our technology without asking our permission", Mozilla won't be sure until "the official announcement".

It's surprising to hear Nitot is feeling positive about the launch of Chrome, even though 85% of their revenue came from Google in 2006. Nitot believes "Chrome is not aimed at competing with Firefox. Rather, it's made for competing with Internet Explorer."

Let's hope Mozilla and Google can combine their efforts and take on the mighty IE together - anything to lower the high percentage of people who actually use Microsoft's browser.

What do you think?
Can Google Chrome live up to Firefox and maybe even better?

I've recently downloaded the browser, and it's really fast and and actually looks amazing!

Calon
03-09-2008, 06:34 AM
I think Mozilla deserve the users of it's browser, because Chrome is using bits of Firefox.

But I prefer Chrome, as it's much faster.

marriott0.01
03-09-2008, 06:37 AM
I do agree, when I use Chrome it seems to be extremlely fast, like you click a link and it's loaded!

Google's website is usually fast to load on any browser but on Google Chrome you haven't got time to blink!

But then I've also got IE8 which seems to look a bit better and run a lot faster than IE7 but if I was to do a speed test Chrome would probably come out first.

I'm going to try Chrome out on Habbo and see how it is :D

Calon
03-09-2008, 06:41 AM
I do agree, when I use Chrome it seems to be extremlely fast, like you click a link and it's loaded!

Google's website is usually fast to load on any browser but on Google Chrome you haven't got time to blink!

But then I've also got IE8 which seems to look a bit better and run a lot faster than IE7 but if I was to do a speed test Chrome would probably come out first.

I'm going to try Chrome out on Habbo and see how it is :D
I agree with you, but they're most likely telling the truth about them mainly competing with IE, because newbies are most likely to use a browser created by a popular search engine, if it had rubbish features and so forth.

But this has to be one of the best browsers, even Safari used third-party components, which Chrome uses as well (Webkit or something)

marriott0.01
03-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I agree with you, but they're most likely telling the truth about them mainly competing with IE, because newbies are most likely to use a browser created by a popular search engine, if it had rubbish features and so forth.

But this has to be one of the best browsers, even Safari used third-party components, which Chrome uses as well (Webkit or something)
Oh I do love a bit of Safari :D

But yet Chrome I absolutely adore!

Earthquake
03-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Google chrome browser is great on aspects, but its actually removed a few features in editing :S

Hopefully when the next google browser is released a new styled and much for featured complex of a browser is introduced, atm I am enjoying firefox and google chrome :)

marriott0.01
03-09-2008, 06:44 AM
But remeber Google Chrome is in Beta stages so I'm sure it'll have some great new features upon it's actual release :D

Earthquake
03-09-2008, 06:48 AM
But remeber Google Chrome is in Beta stages so I'm sure it'll have some great new features upon it's actual release :D
I can't even scroll on google chrome, its horrible!! :(

marriott0.01
03-09-2008, 06:53 AM
It's stopped me scrolling aswell, and on IE :(

Decode
03-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Nitot claims Chrome is "using part of our technology", although what part, he's not sure.
Lol...

marriott0.01
03-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Lol, I only just noticed that!

God you thought they would have known their own technology when they see it!

Leetzgirl
03-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Firefox + Google join pls xo

Jahova
03-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I like the new IE, so I won't be using this.

Decode
03-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Chrome loads Javascript 3.7 times faster than IE8.

HotelUser
03-09-2008, 10:16 AM

This is a fact: Firefox and Chrome are faster than IE8, therefore the logical path to take here, would be to use Firefox or Chrome, as opposed to IE8.

Florx
03-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Uhh, Firefox is open source so Google are well within their rights to 'nick' bits and use them.

And they aren't breaking the license because Chrome is open source as well.

Prof-Alex
03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
This is a fact: Firefox and Chrome are faster than IE8, therefore the logical path to take here, would be to use Firefox or Chrome, as opposed to IE8.

or of course opera which tops them both on speed and features imo

Coldplay
03-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Gotta disagree Alex, Chrome is the fastest browser on the market.

Mario
03-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Gotta disagree Alex, Chrome is the fastest browser on the market.

Its the fastest, but in my experience is has the most problems, which is understandable, its brand spankin' new.

For example: it doesnt seem to be able to play flash games very well, a game i can play perfectly in FF3 lags and stops in GC.

Meanies
03-09-2008, 02:38 PM
i prefer chrome to firefox and safari tbh. Even though it doesn't let me scroll, neither did firefox or safari so its back to scroll bars tbh.

And chrome has a spell checker ;o

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!