PDA

View Full Version : [Google] We own what you post

Stephen!
03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

In other words, by posting anything (via Chrome) to your blog(s), any forum, video site, myspace, itunes, or any other site that might happen to be supporting you, Google can use your work without paying you a dime. They can go and edit it all they want. Even further, you're claiming that you have the power to grant these rights.

Hazza
03-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I think I may remove chrome after all this bad press its getting already :/

Jordan:A
03-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I dont like Chrome

SUPERhanna.
03-09-2008, 09:53 PM
so, does that mean.

Say you discovered something, and did a blog about it via chrome, google can claim what you discovered?

Stephen!
03-09-2008, 09:53 PM
yes.

Or if you wrote a revolutionary essay on world peace, google could claim it as their own and get money for it.

N!ck
03-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Smart move. They can do what they want with their software. People should read ToS. I know i don't and this is what happens. Fair dos.

GommeInc
03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Smart move. They can do what they want with their software. People should read ToS. I know i don't and this is what happens. Fair dos.
What's Chrome? That's a silly move for them, but then again clever at the same time. No-one reads ToS' :P

N!ck
03-09-2008, 10:10 PM
What's Chrome? That's a silly move for them, but then again clever at the same time. No-one reads ToS' :P

Get with the program :P. http://www.google.com/chrome A new web browser made from scratch by Google. It's very good for a beta.

Leetzgirl
03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
It only bad if y ou post blogs or write alot of reports....

GommeInc
03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Get with the program :P. http://www.google.com/chrome A new web browser made from scratch by Google. It's very good for a beta.
I didn't look down the forum enough to see it :P Apparently someone in one of the threads mentioned Google maybe modifying or removing that part of their terms of service, so it may just be a small issue at the moment. Bit crap really but meh :P

HotelUser
04-09-2008, 12:17 AM
and how would they know if you posted using Chrome?

Recursion
04-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Either the browser sends information back to Google, or they just use people who are using it fosho by posting about it.

Agnostic Bear
04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Ah y'see, my sig does have some relevance to Chrome!

Stephen!
04-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Well, it seems they have revised the Terms and Conditions and they have removed some of it, however i think the 'we own what you post' bit is still there.

alexxxxx
04-09-2008, 10:16 AM
they're changing the EULA. I assume as it's open source you can compile it slightly differently and use your own EULA?

Frizzoo
04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
They said they will remove it soon.

sgraham
04-09-2008, 01:03 PM
The panic is over...

11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services.

http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html

NitronGalactus
04-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Wikipedia says they copied their terms of service from other Google Products, and, now it's been removed.

Decode
04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Google are going to remove this. The reason it was added is because its the default TOS Google use for programs like Google Earth.

stephen008
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
so they put it in by mistake or something?

---MAD---
04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
They have changed their EULA now. They said the original EULA was from another source.

timROGERS
05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Does the new license agreement apply retroactively? If not, I am downloading and reinstalling.

Leetzgirl
05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Does the new license agreement apply retroactively? If not, I am downloading and reinstalling.

It all finee, it was just a copied TOS from another source like google earth, seeing people build little houses on google earth, so i'm assume they own what people made the houses.

It fine now anyways, and yeh you can install it ;)

edgates
05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Ah y'see, my sig does have some relevance to Chrome!

is your sig meant to crash chrome, lol?

Boxiel
07-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Smart move by google..

By using Chrome you abide to their terms and conditions, if people don't like this idea then they wouldn't use it.. or not read the T&C's

Flisker
07-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Smart move by google..

By using Chrome you abide to their terms and conditions, if people don't like this idea then they wouldn't use it.. or not read the T&C's
Its fixed now, so they dont own what you post.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!