PDA

View Full Version : Xbox live connection question.

:Lively
05-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Ok, my dads computer is downstairs, and is connected to a router via an eternet cable from set router into the back of his pc. My computer is upstairs, and gets internet via the wireless adapter iv installed, now can I use an ethernet cable to connect my pc to the xbox to order to get an internet connection for the xbox?

if not, is buying the wirless adapter for the xbox 360 my only option? (excluding having an ethernet wire trail across the house)

Hiro
05-09-2008, 01:04 PM
You can, but you need to ensure that you have UPnP enabled on your router settings and then go into:

Start > Connect to > Show all connections > *your connection* > properties > advanced > tick both boxes in the 'Internet Connection Sharing'

That should work, I think.
If not, you might need to seek advice from someone else, but, the Wireless Network Adapter is a good thing to have.

05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
ok ty, n yeh it would be, but im not keen to spent £50 on an adapter, if i can work around it. More information plz from someone else, cos im getting it for my bday (14th xD), and wanna be sure that it'll work on the day :)

Viruz
05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
If the router is downstairs wireless is the easy option but wired would be the best to be honest. I know alot of people who have trouble with wireless XBL

05-09-2008, 01:21 PM
well my room is right above the room where the router is, so it would probably be ok. and yes, im keen to have it connected by wire, would what Hiro said work? also, is making the internet connection shared a security risk, i.e. someone next door sharing from my computer, or is it only possible to share the connection with it being connected via ethernet?

mike

Hiro
05-09-2008, 01:28 PM
well my room is right above the room where the router is, so it would probably be ok. and yes, im keen to have it connected by wire, would what Hiro said work? also, is making the internet connection shared a security risk, i.e. someone next door sharing from my computer, or is it only possible to share the connection with it being connected via ethernet?

mike

if you have a password on your wireless network, it should be fine.

05-09-2008, 01:35 PM
ok thx guys. why is the xbox wirless adapter 50 quid btw? is it because its faster, because if so it'd be better to have this single wireless adapter, rather than have my internet travel through a belkin wirless adapter to my computer, and then through a cable into the xbox?

edit: also will an ethernet cable come with any xbox 360 premium console i buy?

Hiro
05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
ok thx guys. why is the xbox wirless adapter 50 quid btw? is it because its faster, because if so it'd be better to have this single wireless adapter, rather than have my internet travel through a belkin wirless adapter to my computer, and then through a cable into the xbox?

edit: also will an ethernet cable come with any xbox 360 premium console i buy?

Yes, you would get an ethernet cable, http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm

And, it is easier to use the Wirless Adapter, rather than using the ethernet cable, but it does get a good connection with my belkin router which is downstairs in my living room (4-5 bars).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!