PDA

View Full Version : So youmeo...

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
So, Youmeo launched what they call version 2.0 eventually on Monday and, well, all I can see is a polished version 1.0.

I was wrong in thinking that the new version would revolutionise the site because... it hasn't. Greg, Nick and now Simon working on the site, I'm sure you'll agree you would've expected alot more.

The style isn't right, it's not... nice? I mean, some aspects are but it's like 7,000 styles mixed into one and eurgh.

Anyway, your thoughts?

:)

Decode
09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
If you can code a social networking site then you can post threads like this. If you can't you have no right to criticize anyone else about it.

Invent
09-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I've only moved down to the offices today, so don't bring me into this :P!

I personally love the site's design and the site has also been completely recoded and restructured and is a lot more efficient.

There is still a lot more to come, but we're fixing all the existing bugs/glitches until we continue work on the new stuff / release it. For example, I'm personally working on the APIs which will bring a lot of new things to the site :)

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
If you can code a social networking site then you can post threads like this. If you can't you have no right to criticize anyone else about it.
What a naive comment to make, extremely naive.

You don't have to be able to make a social networking site to have an opinion on one, it's the same with music. You're saying unless you can be as successful as Amy Whinehouse you have to like her music? Jesus man, mature a bit please?

Simon, it looks extremely similar to when YOUMEO first launched from PPLParty;

http://uk.techcrunch.com/wp-content/youmeo2.jpg

I expect more from you, 'tis all - that's a good thing... right? :P

Invent
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
The image you posted is of the new site and the new homepage is structured and organised a lot differently than the earlier one.

Pyroka
09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Agreed, you don't need to be the creator of PHP to criticise the language. I think it looks pretty nice, simple yet effective. You can't expect this amazing product to be produced, V2 is version 2. Some upgrades are better than others, so you can't put down the project as a whole just for that.

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Jesus, ignore me, I'm completely out of it today ;).

I just think you're capable of more, the whole team infact as I know most of the development team. I've always said from the start that Youmeo would succeed if it progressed forward with technology and audiences expectations of social networking sites and, I can't see that at the minute but the mention of API is going that way :).

It's a very niche site and that's why it needs to be better than the rest in both design and accessibility :).

Anywho, good luck with it all and I hope that it all goes well for you.

Klydo
09-09-2008, 05:30 PM
People are quick to judge upon the miss leading display on the site we have at the moment. We've been discussing redesigns of misfit pages already so don't think we're not on the ball here. Pages such as the homepage, register, login, find friends and forgot password have all been added to a list of pages to review. We're not going to leave the site as it is and that's the whole point of the "BETA" in the logo.

Instead of just giving flat comments you could help us improve the site for you and the rest by giving us some detail on what you dislike and what pages don't float your boat. You've got to remember when you're dealing with 400,000 users it's not that easy when it comes to database management. Pretty sure any experienced coder will tell you the bigger a database becomes (especially if the original database structure wasn't perfect) then you will experience a lot of problems. So kudos to Nick, Sree and Liam for getting it this far.

In terms of the design Mike and myself know there are some inconsistant pages as we've just begun going over them this week. You won't likely see them change till next week due to the fact we're planning them wisely instead of flinging out a messy page. Which then causes us major issues in the future when we come to change or add to them.

Like I said if you could elabirate on your points then I'll jot them down and get to work, this time around we're aiming to please more than ever :)

EDIT

As you can see our Your Home design has been refreshed already. There is also more to be added to it's functionality as soon as we have time which I'm sure you'll enjoy very much :)

http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/57232e32fbad4614f23266be6ea0d0c519d5ab3a603a8fb.pn g

Edited by Flisker (Forum Moderator): I have blanked out the image of you, as it is against the rules to post images of yourself.

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 05:46 PM
I can only judge what's put in front of me, and aesthetically, what's put in front of me isn't exactly a master-piece of design and innovation, in my opinion. That's an important part of this review because that is what it is, my opinion and not factually bound. My comments were "flat" because of the fact I wasn't aware you were taking user comments into consideration and build upon 'users' opinions.

By no stretch of the imagination would I class myself in the same class as yourself when it comes to web development however, I've witnessed most of your work progress over the course of about 3 years and most of your early work and out-do the design of youmeo as it is. I'm not saying that design is absolutely terrible, I just know you're capable of doing more, a lot more. I know this is for a different audience and outlet of site, but your designs have been a lot more sleeker, smoother and generally better than this. I realise these sorts of sites have to be straight to the point when it comes to design, however, there are just many little things that 'annoy' me with the design, so to speak. Like the header, it's too big, it's a big grey box with grey buttons on it and, on my resolution, takes up about 1/5 of the page. Just browising other social networking sites, the headers are not as big as the mentioned.

That is just one thing that can be changed to make the overall appearence of the site better. Like I've stated, mostly opinion based but it's just what I found wrong with it. Many little niggly things. I mean, my opinion can stretch much further to saying the profiling system isn't the best including customisation etc. I know this is the BETA stage but I can't help thinking you're going to overlook everything. I mean, you took the site down for a week to upload a new 'version' so the BETA should be over and the niggling problems should be ironed out, however, as always, I have much trust in you to make the site better and progress the youmeo brand to new levels.

I know you'll probably behead me, and if not you, someone else for saying that I don't like the site but at the end of the day, it's personal preference.

Andys
09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
So, you're saying Simon Cowell shouldn't say other people suck at music if he can't sing?

Klydo
09-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Like you said we have a target to aim for and that is the general MySpace user. Our users are the type you'd find on MySpace and they enjoy pretty basic designs so I've had to change my style to suit the brand. Means we can have a master-piece in design as that would then create a site such as Virb which you'd never find a average MySpace user on as it doesn't suit their wants.

We've had roughly 6 redesigns of the Your Home main page alone in the development time of the BETA so we're not slumping on trying to get the pages to their best there is just a point where you must leave the page alone as that's what the general user wants. For instance my 13 year old cousin isn't interested in beautifully designed boxes all with individual abilities and methods. He wants something like MySpace but just generally easier to use and that's what we're aiming for in terms of our user controls section.

Why reinvent the wheel when you can simply replace it with a better looking alloy? :)

Excellent2
09-09-2008, 05:56 PM
The site is a bloody good improvement from the first version. The staff where always listening to us beta testers and that was great to see, they listened to all of our comments and ways in which the site could be improved and implemented these ideas into the new site. Everything is tip-top and in shape to the point of setting standards now. It looks like they have a very strong team backing their website and I wish Youmeo all the best with future growth and I know that I will keep active, *Custom profiles? :(*

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 06:01 PM
It's not about re-inventing the wheel, it's about making that wheel better.

Excellent2
09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
It's not about re-inventing the wheel, it's about making that wheel better.And they have done this :S

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 06:10 PM
And they have done this :S
I'll explain;

It should be like the transition of XBOX > XBOX360, which is a completely new version, it's the XBOX 2, 2 being the version. As with youmeo, it should be completely new if it's a new version. If not, it's still version 1.1 or whatever.

thinc
09-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Interesting debate. I must agree: a new version should include lots of updates - I'm not sure how many updates this one included, but yeah. It's a nice idea and a nice site. And I don't agree with "if you can't code a social networking site, you can't criticise it." And anyway: they want feedback about their new site so who cares. If you don't like the site - don't use it.

easy as

Stepheen
09-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Tbh. It's amazing, when I first saw Simon and Greg working there I thought it was gonna be another habbox forum developement but i've had alook round the site now and it's actually really good.
Only one problem. You can't view my profile.
It's meant to be youmeo.com/v
don't work tho.

Stepheen
09-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Tbh. It's amazing, when I first saw Simon and Greg working there I thought it was gonna be another habbox forum developement but i've had alook round the site now and it's actually really good.
Only one problem. You can't view my profile.
It's meant to be youmeo.com/v
don't work tho.

Calon
09-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I can't say this is the best social networking website, because many of the features Youmeo are using are from other sites, I'd use it if the features we're better, I have one thing to say which aggrevates me is basically the profile layout, simple is how it should be done.

TheProtege
09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Yes Calon, you know best when it comes to socializing websites seeing as yours fails, and so does your social life. Well your the pr0 at that then 8-).

Good work guys, a few tweaks here and there, should be a great success - and I dont say that often.

Dentafrice
09-09-2008, 07:50 PM
I've been quite the "doubter" of the project, and quite frankly.. I think this new version is amazing.

Few issues here and there, but yet, what can we expect for BETA? A BETA period is a time to work out those bugs, and work out those design flaws.. hence why they released it.. they need our help to give ideas, feedback, bug reports..

Amazing is all I can say.

Johno
09-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I totally agree with Caleb, it has came on by leaps and bounds and I am surprised at how well it appears to have turned out.

I was not interested when this project started and for some random reason (I think it was due to Simon having it in his signature) I visited the site and I was blown away.

It has truly came on a lot since we saw the previous designs and such and I have to admit - I personally think it looks great.

I'm very pleasantly surprised at how YouMeo has evolved from what we have seen and I do wish the best of luck to the site as it is now more what I would expect from a "serious" social network :)

today
09-09-2008, 08:37 PM
The new version is fantastic, Adam for once shadup =/ your in a small percent of people who dislike it, but honestly if anything it appears Youmeo has gain more users due to the new version, specially one to keep for a while!

& Lol simon, get your butt working already!!

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry, I've got to like it because everyone else does :S

today
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Sorry, I've got to like it because everyone else does :S
Didnt say that..

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Didnt say that..
You told me to shut up because I'm a minority...

today
09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
ignore prmhgb9ifdnrd

Klydo
09-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Sorry about that Stepheen, just saw your message and sorted the problem. Try now :) Was out for a bite to eat so was a bit delayed :P

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Last edited by today; Today at 09:46 PM:eusa_clap

Invent
09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone, I'm sure the team appreciate it :)

Stepheen
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone, I'm sure the team appreciate it :)
Made me laugh how the thread creator tried to get people to turn against youmeo when all everyone has done is flame him and give you guys positive feed back :]

Klydo
09-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Made me laugh how the thread creator tried to get people to turn against youmeo when all everyone has done is flame him and give you guys positive feed back :]
Oh well, every site will have it's lovers and haters. The web is like a big tub of marmite.

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
How old are you?

I can't have an opinion?

Stepheen
09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
How old are you?

I can't have an opinion?
What does my age matter to you?

Funya Chin
09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
What does my age matter to you?
I wanted to see whether what you're saying matched up with your age because to be fair, I've said it many times before and I'll say it again - I'm all for youmeo. I like success stories and Greg's is one of them.

In this thread, I never said youmeo is ****, it's terrible, it's worse than a mince pie that's been shot with a pooper shooter did I? No. I never said I hated it, I said it doesn't look like a new version and some things need tweaking... in my opinion.

Please, whatever your age, grow up.

today
09-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Instead of making petty threads on Habbox Forum in which the owner, Calum, already told greg not to do so anymore. Why not contact the team directly using the contact page on the website thus letting them know and not moaning on a external website where they may not pick up on it. Just email them your feedback and view instead of moaning to us!!

Crikey.

Stepheen
09-09-2008, 10:40 PM
*Removed*

Edited by ,Jess, (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not insult other forum members.

Hypertext
09-09-2008, 11:10 PM
People may say they should have fixed the bugs before release. No matter how many of the bugs you fix, there are always bugs of scale. Having used the site and dotted around a bit, it's actually not too bad. In fact, I quite like it. Unfortunately it doesn't have some of the features it would need to become my social network of preference.

Klydo
09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
People may say they should have fixed the bugs before release. No matter how many of the bugs you fix, there are always bugs of scale. Having used the site and dotted around a bit, it's actually not too bad. In fact, I quite like it. Unfortunately it doesn't have some of the features it would need to become my social network of preference.
Such as... :P If you don't say them you may never get them, always good to share :P

Hypertext
09-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I was saying it incase, in fact I haven't found any bugs yet. A big improvement to the last version, well done to the team.

Dentafrice
09-09-2008, 11:38 PM
I've found quite a few bugs, I'll drop them by tomorrow. Nick went offline, so can't tonight.

Klydo
10-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Send them to [email protected] and I'll add them to his to-do list so he can see them in the morning.

Stepheen
10-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Such as... :P If you don't say them you may never get them, always good to share :P
I think you should have basic profiles, very simple code and the ability to edit it with css and html. Abit like myspace, but readable code, unlike myspace's big chunks of crap.

Dentafrice
10-09-2008, 01:02 AM
And I rather be able to hide things with CSS, etc, rather then MySpace's way of having to end multiple tables/rows/columns.

It is way easier to do:

<style type="text/css">
#comments {
display: none;
}
</style>

Then

</TR></TR></TD></TD></TABLE></TR></TABLE></TABLE></TR></TD></TABLE><TABLE>

@Greg, I'll send them now. It's a .doc document.

Stepheen
10-09-2008, 01:27 AM
And I rather be able to hide things with CSS, etc, rather then MySpace's way of having to end multiple tables/rows/columns.

It is way easier to do:

<style type="text/css">
#comments {
display: none;
}
</style>
Then

</TR></TR></TD></TD></TABLE></TR></TABLE></TABLE></TR></TD></TABLE><TABLE>
@Greg, I'll send them now. It's a .doc document.
You can do that on myspace, but it only hides the contents of what was once in it's place, leaving quite a big space.

Dentafrice
10-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Not really.. MySpace doesn't use ID's in their elements.. (on most of them) meaning you can't hide individual things, and you can't use JS to parse through the classes.

I'd really like for things on Youmeo to use unique ID's, so you can hide certain things.

Not just an ID like: ID - "box", Class - "friendsBox". Make it more like ID - "friendsBox", Class - "box".

Just easier in my opinion to manipulate the profile in the ways that you want, and have more customization of how it all actually looks in the end.

Integrating a Klydo idea would be a great addition too, to rearrange the profile modules the way you want them.

Such as:

{widget_header}
{widget_status}
{widget_displayPic}
{widget_photos}
{widget_info}
{widget_bio}
{widget_comments}

That way you can create new widgets, add them where you want them, and hide certain elements of the page.. without using CSS to do that, still keeping the same Page Size, and same loading time.

Hypertext
10-09-2008, 02:39 AM
You can hide nearly everything, it's hiding specific parts that gets annoying. I love it how my friends think their comments are totally secret. ;).

Just please don't make it too editable. It gets so annoying on eligible Myspace pages. I haven't checked in a while, is there still a "set profile to defaults" button to see a profile more easily?

Funya Chin
10-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Instead of making petty threads on Habbox Forum in which the owner, Calum, already told greg not to do so anymore. Why not contact the team directly using the contact page on the website thus letting them know and not moaning on a external website where they may not pick up on it. Just email them your feedback and view instead of moaning to us!!

Crikey.
youmeo was discussed in here previous to the new version being launched, and many beta users were from this forum thus, I thought it practical to make another thread about the new version, not just me saying it could be better, a thread for everyone to discuss - which most people did, not you though.

Oh, and you're awesome because you know who Calum is. If you don't want to read my posts, ignore me :)

Invent
10-09-2008, 10:40 AM

I think we're looking into building a CSS page for your edit profile area instead of allowing full HTML in inputs as the team were not that impressed with your profile :P (Removing the header, etc).

Klydo
10-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah Caleb, had to reset the CSS after you done that. Naughty naughty :P On the note of "simple profiles" we're working on making the HTML and CSS so simple that even a novice can do it. That's why we've decided to hold back on skinning until we get it just right as at the moment it can be cleaned up quite a bit.

Dentafrice
10-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I think we're looking into building a CSS page for your edit profile area instead of allowing full HTML in inputs as the team were not that impressed with your profile :P (Removing the header, etc).

What the hell, Calum said we could hide the stuff?

Yeah Caleb, had to reset the CSS after you done that. Naughty naughty :P On the note of "simple profiles" we're working on making the HTML and CSS so simple that even a novice can do it. That's why we've decided to hold back on skinning until we get it just right as at the moment it can be cleaned up quite a bit.

Simple sometimes is bad though, I would rather have customization then entering hex codes :|

Invent
10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
What the hell, Calum said we could hide the stuff?

Maybe I missunderstood them then, but it seemed they didn't really want people removing the navigation, etc.

Klydo
10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
You're not allowed to remove the header or footer.

today
10-09-2008, 07:19 PM
youmeo was discussed in here previous to the new version being launched, and many beta users were from this forum thus, I thought it practical to make another thread about the new version, not just me saying it could be better, a thread for everyone to discuss - which most people did, not you though.

Oh, and you're awesome because you know who Calum is. If you don't want to read my posts, ignore me :)
However direct contact with the site would resolve alot more problems then moaning on here! :eusa_whis

Calon
10-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes Calon, you know best when it comes to socializing websites seeing as yours fails, and so does your social life. Well your the pr0 at that then 8-).

Good work guys, a few tweaks here and there, should be a great success - and I dont say that often.Very hard for you to say with "e-mx" isn't it!

TheProtege
10-09-2008, 07:47 PM
1, I havent even made a socializing website, in the past year ands a half
2, I never said I succeeded at it or think I would
3, I surpass you @ everything ( Dont I have a big ego, nothing about ******* ego its all fact)

PS:
4, Bend over and worship me, *****.

& youmeo, I'm looking forward for the post-beta with all the errors fixed, good work guys.

TheProtege
10-09-2008, 07:48 PM
& Soz about double post, forum lag.

Klydo
10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Please don't use this thread for ego competitions. As we all know I always win at them :P

TheProtege
10-09-2008, 08:01 PM
no ego involved though ;)

Calon
10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
no ego involved though ;)
Ego? psst.

I know my site hasn't failed as I got what I wanted.

On-topic: Nice to see that you have quotes from a Newspaper and a review, I like the layout and it's much better than your first version.

Well done. :P

Dentafrice
10-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Maybe I missunderstood them then, but it seemed they didn't really want people removing the navigation, etc.

I see what you're saying, just did it because there were no rules on it ^_^.

You're not allowed to remove the header or footer.

Ahh okay! Thanks for clearing that up ^_^.

Please don't use this thread for ego competitions. As we all know I always win at them :P

I'm getting up there! :P Me and Hypertext are some pretty big competition to you grEGOrie :D (kidding)

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Oh yeh. You think you have the biggest ego? I have the bestestest in the worlds setup, aaaaand i got into a college course today. so take dat err.. calEGOeb.

Jk. For the weak minded.

Jk......

and btw I can code social network in 10 mins.
;)

I know you got "Charlie is at work.... 4 minutes ago" from me. g0sh.

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Oh yeh. You think you have the biggest ego? I have the bestestest in the worlds setup, aaaaand i got into a college course today. so take dat err.. calEGOeb.

Jk. For the weak minded.

Jk......

;)

I know you got "Charlie is at work.... 4 minutes ago" from me. g0sh.
I expected something funny.. but just found out that you failed.. majorly.

You don't have the "best in the world setup".

This is a nice setup:

http://www.mygadgetbag.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/sweet-computer-rig.jpg

And this

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sdidak/office/seven1.jpg

But not yours...

Plus there are laws that prevent people from under 16 from participating in college courses.

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Oh, in the bonny hills eh? Not in the land of freedom. ;)

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 12:42 AM
No.. it is a federal law.

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Ah. SOrry I see what you mean, I worded it wrong, I meant, I got into a course that gives me college credit.

Apologies.

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Yes it will.. it is a federal law that no student under the age of 16 and is a Junior in High School (for community college classes) can be admitted to college.

To be admitted to a normal college/university, you must have completed high school and received a high school diploma.

You can take college level courses.. but not receive college credits for those courses.. which count toward your college graduation.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 01:10 AM

Jk. For the weak minded.

Jk......

;)

I know you got "Charlie is at work.... 4 minutes ago" from me. g0sh.Your setup is about as good as my toilet, it does the job, thats all. The only ego you have is banging on about parenthesis language constructs 24/7. And you got into a college course at the age of what, 12? doubt it even if it is an american college (which I don't know much about) You could build a social network in 10 minutes? you mean stealing a bunch of code and then putting "COPYRIGHT TO HYPERTEXT/CHARLIE 2008-2009"?

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Yes it will.. it is a federal law that no student under the age of 16 and is a Junior in High School (for community college classes) can be admitted to college.

To be admitted to a normal college/university, you must have completed high school and received a high school diploma.

You can take college level courses.. but not receive college credits for those courses.. which count toward your college graduation.
Well.. the guy I spoke to said I can earn college credits for in a computer science AP course, and I got admitted to it... If your willing to not be a jerk about it, I actually am interested if you have anything to contribute... I'm not too familiar with the us college system.

Your setup is about as good as my toilet, it does the job, thats all. The only ego you have is banging on about parenthesis language constructs 24/7. And you got into a college course at the age of what, 12? doubt it even if it is an american college (which I don't know much about) You could build a social network in 10 minutes? you mean stealing a bunch of code and then putting "COPYRIGHT TO HYPERTEXT/CHARLIE 2008-2009"?
Somebody hasn't heard of sarcasm.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Somebody hasn't heard of sarcasm.
Of course I have charles! I just happen to know the difference between sarcasm and stupidity.

Anyway lets all be friends and stop killing the thread, I want an API API API API API API.

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 02:01 AM
True. API +1.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 02:10 AM
True. API +1.Thought of something!!! Like twitter, Youmeo has a mini status feature that allows you to have a little motto on your profile, how about an sexy widget for mac or windows users that allows us to update this? *much like twidget for mac*

Klydo
11-09-2008, 02:18 AM
We have statues like Twitter by clicking the singular speech bubble in the header. If you meant something else then I've missunderstood. Not sure what the plans are on an API front, we'll have to wait and see.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 02:39 AM
We have statues like Twitter by clicking the singular speech bubble in the header. If you meant something else then I've missunderstood. Not sure what the plans are on an API front, we'll have to wait and see.I think you're tired :P I mean a little widget that can be downloaded and installed for when we're not on youmeo, thus allowing us to update our YOUMEO status, not twitter or whatever. Saying that it would be cool if you could put them all in one.

cunning
11-09-2008, 05:41 AM
So, you're saying Simon Cowell shouldn't say other people suck at music if he can't sing?

I like that, + rep!

It's a great site, I tried to register but it wouldn't let me the other day, it showed the code which it was meant to put into db.

Dentafrice who's setup is that?

Invent
11-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah cunning, we had a few issues when the site opened with the transition between the beta site databasea and the old one. Though, I think all the db related on-site errors have been fixed now.

I mean a little widget that can be downloaded and installed for when we're not on youmeo, thus allowing us to update our YOUMEO status, not twitter or whatever. Saying that it would be cool if you could put them all in one.So an application? If so, that sounds like a pretty nice idea, but I'm not sure if the team would be up for making one and if we'd have the time. But I know that Nick has been working on an iPhone application for the web store, so if you have an iPhone - keep an eye out for that ;)

Klydo
11-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Well the site lets you update Twitter, Pownce, Rejaw and Facebook (once it's fixed). Which means any application that gets built for Youmeo will allow you to update them all if you have them activated. We're adding more sites to the pile soon, just got to wait a bit while Nick is away on holiday :P

Of course we're always welcome to people developing applications for external use. So if anyone is talented in the field of application development then give me a shout :)

Source
11-09-2008, 02:03 PM
As soon as the API is out I'll have a mess around with some Adobe Air based html/js applications if you want. I'll edit with some early screenshots of the design... note this is just a personal project whilst i'm learning JS.

Source
11-09-2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/app-525468335158849763.png

Nothing amazing, but just a start. Opinions?

Note I'm not related to the youmeo team in anway.

Trinity
11-09-2008, 03:19 PM

I like that, it's nice. Like you said, it's just a start and needs more work. The top looks great, but everything below the toolbar thing looks too empty for me to comment yet.

Anywho, Youmeo still has bugs, but that's understandable as it's still in beta. Apart from the bugs it's awesome.

Funya Chin
11-09-2008, 03:20 PM

That's the sort of thing I expected.

Agnostic Bear
11-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Youmeo needs more fading and more javascript things that don't use any framework. Frameworks suck.

Invent
11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
We only mainly use the jQuery framework for xmlhttp requests and stuff and script.aculo.us for a few effects here and there.

The frameworks don't slow down the site that much/enough to notice, so the way we're using them at the moment is fine for the visitors.

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah cunning, we had a few issues when the site opened with the transition between the beta site databasea and the old one. Though, I think all the db related on-site errors have been fixed now.

So an application? If so, that sounds like a pretty nice idea, but I'm not sure if the team would be up for making one and if we'd have the time. But I know that Nick has been working on an iPhone application for the web store, so if you have an iPhone - keep an eye out for that ;)
Do you guys run on MyISAM or InnoDB... or something else?
Whats the database structure (nothing too detailed), jw?

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Youmeo needs more fading and more javascript things that don't use any framework. Frameworks suck.
Why? Why not use a much simpler way of accomplishing something. It can take days to do something that jQuery could do in seconds. I use it for most of my stuff, and then scriptaculous for some effects, and right now I'm thinking about checking out mootools.

Edited by ,Jess, (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not double post.

Invent
11-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Do you guys run on MyISAM or InnoDB... or something else?
Whats the database structure (nothing too detailed), jw?

You'd have to ask Nick for that information as I'm not sure if we're/I'm allowed to - so I don't want to risk it ;)

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Why? Why not use a much simpler way of accomplishing something. It can take days to do something that jQuery could do in seconds. I use it for most of my stuff, and then scriptaculous for some effects, and right now I'm thinking about checking out mootools.
Just don't mix Scripatculous and Mootools.

I would much rather use a Prototype based framework, always. jQuery comes in handy once in a while.

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Just don't mix Scripatculous and Mootools.

I would much rather use a Prototype based framework, always. jQuery comes in handy once in a while.
For me it's jQuery's ease of callbacks, like you can make really good looking Ajax stuff, really easily, it's so simple like:

ajaxReq:function(data_str, url_str, type_str) {
$.ajax({
type: type_str,
url : url_str,
data: data_str,
success: function(msg) {
//some crazy animation
}
});
}

That there is pretty self-explanitory, but just a quick mockup to show people who haven't used jQuery, how easy it is.

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 09:40 PM
or just do

new Ajax.Request('page.php', {
method: 'get',
onSuccess: function(transport){
alert(transport.responseText);
}
});

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Why? Why not use a much simpler way of accomplishing something. It can take days to do something that jQuery could do in seconds. I use it for most of my stuff, and then scriptaculous for some effects, and right now I'm thinking about checking out mootools.Lol, mootools, are you serious? They're good for somethings but scriptaculous pwns it.

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Mootools has a very expansive plugin base, which has some great enhancements.. no need to put mootools down.. it does the same thing as Scriptaculous.

Hypertext
or just do

new Ajax.Request('page.php', {
method: 'get',
onSuccess: function(transport){
alert(transport.responseText);
}
});

OK.

Lol, mootools, are you serious? They're good for somethings but scriptaculous pwns it.
Go the **** home. You think AJAX is a javascript box. You don't know jack ****. Leave.

Excellent2
Mootools has a very expansive plugin base, which has some great enhancements.. no need to put mootools down.. it does the same thing as Scriptaculous.I'd rather just go ahead and use jQuery's plugins.
@Charlie: Look kidda' you need to tone it down, you take all this crap from google and claim you typed it when you didn't so shutup, muppet.

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I'd rather just go ahead and use jQuery's plugins.
@Charlie: Look kidda' you need to tone it down, you take all this crap from google and claim you typed it when you didn't so shutup, muppet.
Why? jQuery requires too much typing for simple things.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Why? jQuery requires too much typing for simple things.
I agree but just look at the things you can make.

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Those same things can be done with Prototype, and all it's sub-enhancements, with half the code.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Those same things can be done with Prototype, and all it's sub-enhancements, with half the code.Mootools default for people who can't edit (like me) are just not going to be used. If you take something like jQuery plugins or custom features they are what people will use half the time like the content slider I saw on some page.

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but you don't need to edit things, that are pre-packaged.. and if Scriptaculous includes all the things you need without modification.. there's no need to go get jQuery and fill it with a hundred plugins.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah, but you don't need to edit things, that are pre-packaged.. and if Scriptaculous includes all the things you need without modification.. there's no need to go get jQuery and fill it with a hundred plugins.Simply said scriptaculous is much better than mootools thats all. jQuery is amazing for site features.

Source
11-09-2008, 09:55 PM
have to say that Scriptaculous surpasses most framesworks in my personal opinion, but I am only just starting to learn javascript/js frameworks in general. I mean I have already made a cool little live JS system which denta knows about... and its only a few lines with Scriptaculous, compared to double with jquery.

Dentafrice
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Simply said scriptaculous is much better than mootools thats all. jQuery is amazing for site features.

Would you quit flip-flopping? Worse then Barack Obama.

have to say that Scriptaculous surpasses most framesworks in my personal opinion, but I am only just starting to learn javascript/js frameworks in general. I mean I have already made a cool little live JS system which denta knows about... and its only a few lines with Scriptaculous, compared to double with jquery.

Yeah ^_^ Very nice. jQuery is always double everything.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Would you quit flip-flopping? Worse then Barack Obama.Seems like you're just trying to start another little argument again don't it? As source said, in the eyes of someone who doesn't know much about javascript (mainly due to noobness to the language) it looks like scriptaculous is much better than mootools, end of.

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Theres also some great plugins for jQuery, my recent favorite jEditable.

@excellent: Be quiet. I definitely know a hell of a lot more than you. I didn't type anything into Google. Video yourself coding and talking about what your coding, and I might ease out the slightest bit of respect for you, itmt, ****.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
@excellent: Be quiet. I definitely know a hell of a lot more than you. I didn't type anything into Google. Video yourself coding and talking about what your coding, and I might ease out the slightest bit of respect for you, itmt, ****.Oh I forget! you just stole the code to everything didn't you:rolleyes: Why would I video myself coding and talking you moron, I don't want the respect of an immature 12 year old who thinks he's the next best thing since sliced bread but infact relates to a peanut.

Protege
11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Would you quit flip-flopping? Worse then Barack Obama.

Yeah ^_^ Very nice. jQuery is always double everything.

I've only tried one javascript framework, jQuery and I think its decent enough for what I want to do, I haven't come across anything I cant do with jQuery so I'll stick with it. :P

Proxication uses jQuery.

& What HyperText says, got good plugins which is a plus point - Though I haven't checked the other frameworks so I can't really say ****.

Hypertext
11-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh I forget! you just stole the code to everything didn't you:rolleyes: Why would I video myself coding and talking you moron, I don't want the respect of an immature 12 year old who thinks he's the next best thing since sliced bread but infact relates to a peanut.
I'm 14.

If you don't want respect you won't get it. But don't try being all sad and acting as though your amazing. Your nothing.

I've only tried one javascript framework, jQuery and I think its decent enough for what I want to do, I haven't come across anything I cant do with jQuery so I'll stick with it. :P

Proxication uses jQuery.

& What HyperText says, got good plugins which is a plus point - Though I haven't checked the other frameworks so I can't really say ****.
Other fws can be better for other things. But for general stuff I find jQuery quite malleable, if you will.

Excellent2
11-09-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm 14.

If you don't want respect you won't get it. But don't try being all sad and acting as though your amazing. Your nothing.2 years older, wow! I don't want respect from you because your ego is about as big as an elephants faeces and you think you know everything when infact you don't. I don't act as if I am amazing, I say what I know and what I don't know I guess - I don't use Google for every single thing like you. And it's you're* back to the english classes charles!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!