PDA

View Full Version : Computer Fan

PaulMacC
11-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey my fan at the moment is like broke and really loud, I dont know wether there is a tonne of dust inside it or something has broke, if it has broke how would I go about replacing it and what model would I get?
yeah how would I go about installing the fan and what type to get?
+rep to all sensible answers.

Verrou
11-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Depends what type of computer you have like the brand. If it's the CPU fan then you just open the cover and there will be little latches that hold it on, unclip them and then replace it (it's plugged into the motherboard). If it's the ventilation fan (the one at the back, or facing out) then you should just be able to unclip it aswell.

If you look around, you'll see that computers are really simple. Simple enough for 7 year old Taiwanese kids to assemble anyway -.-

Ver.

Recursion
11-09-2008, 07:04 AM
If its the CPU fan you cant just replace it :rolleyes: you have to reapply new thermal paste, clean the old stuff off, buy the right type of socket fan etc..

If its not the CPU Fan, then measure how many cm the fan is diagonally accross and buy one of the same size and same connector, they are real cheap.

You do know that in making computers kids don't do it :rolleyes: it is actually all machine and men.

N!ck
11-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Open it up and look what fan it is you want to sort out. If it's dirty then clean it and see if that solves the problem. If you want to replace it they only cost a couple of quid, measure the diameter of it. Probably 80 or 120mm. If it's the CPU fan then post on here.

PaulMacC
11-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Do I need to do anything while opening up, or could I just bring it to a pc repair shop with a fan

Recursion
11-09-2008, 08:57 PM
If its NOT the CPU fan then from your point of view it should be about a 3 minute job to fit.

PaulMacC
11-09-2008, 09:51 PM
How do I know if it's a CPU fan or not?

N!ck
11-09-2008, 09:57 PM
How do I know if it's a CPU fan or not?

If it's the fan that's over the CPU that's making the noise.

PaulMacC
11-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Im dumb when it comes to hardware, where is the CPU?

Lycan
11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
If its the CPU fan you cant just replace it :rolleyes: you have to reapply new thermal paste, clean the old stuff off, buy the right type of socket fan etc..

If its not the CPU Fan, then measure how many cm the fan is diagonally accross and buy one of the same size and same connector, they are real cheap.

You do know that in making computers kids don't do it :rolleyes: it is actually all machine and men.

Why wouldyou have to do that, surely it depends on the location of the fan after all i don't know a cpu where the fan directly touches it... as long as you didn't rip off the heatsink wave it around a few times during the unscrewing of the fan to replace it.. you'd be fine

Recursion
12-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Because he would be using a stock Intel one I should think if it is an OEM and so, you would need to replace it. You cant unscrew the fans off most Intel HSFs. And if you can remove it, the fans are damn hard to get hold of.

Coldplay
12-09-2008, 03:33 PM
The CPU fan, would be the fan, thats attached to the CPU...

Thats the ONLY board in your PC with a fan attached..

The other fan won't be attached to anything.

Recursion
12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
The CPU fan, would be the fan, thats attached to the CPU...

Thats the ONLY board in your PC with a fan attached..

The other fan won't be attached to anything.

My graphics card has a fan.

Motherboards can have quite a few fans on, northbride, cpu, southbride etc...

N!ck
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Because he would be using a stock Intel one I should think if it is an OEM and so, you would need to replace it. You cant unscrew the fans off most Intel HSFs. And if you can remove it, the fans are damn hard to get hold of.

I thought OEMs used their own heatsink and fans?

Recursion
12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Not all the time.

Lycan
13-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Theres alot of whatifs in that... 90% you can simply unscrew the fan from the heatsink. granted it requires an expirenced person but then again if your going fiddling around the computer you shouldn't be a novice anyway

e5
13-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Open it up and hoover(vacuum) it out.

DJ-Vimto
13-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Open it up and hoover(vacuum) it out.

which can cause static to build up, which can fry some of the more delicate components

Recursion
13-09-2008, 01:26 PM
which can cause static to build up, which can fry some of the more delicate components

Hole in one.

darkchicken101
13-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Turn off your computer and unplug it, then get a paintbrush (new and clean) and brush out the dust from the fans.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!