PDA

View Full Version : Just got hamster, and already there's a problem... +rep

ToxicPaddy
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi all :)
Well I just got a dwarf hamster from my friend. I paid £20 for the hamster and a complete cage setup. The hamster is around 2 years old, but I have only just noticed something. It has this huge lump on its behind. Honestly, its almost the size of his tummy, shaped like a large nut. Its a boy so it cannot be pregnant. What could it be? Has anyone had something like this before on their hamster?

All good answers receive +rep :)

ToxicPaddy

GhostFace-
11-09-2008, 10:08 PM
ask the kid who sold you it about it

Leetzgirl
11-09-2008, 10:12 PM
It gonna die if it 2 years old lmao :|

ToxicPaddy
11-09-2008, 10:15 PM
It gonna die if it 2 years old lmao :|

I wouldn't say this was funny. I don't know much about hamsters, and I am just asking.

Leetzgirl
11-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I know most hamsters dont live more then 2 years.

I would take it to the vet to be sure anyways

ToxicPaddy
11-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I have also just noticed it is starting to scratch and bite the lump.

Scouse
11-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I have also just noticed it is starting to scratch and bite the lump.

take a pic and let me see. i used to breed hamsters & males usually have a lump on there behind because its there private parts..

http://www.geocities.com/gumonyershoe/male.jpg

if it looks like that then its normal

ToxicPaddy
11-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Here is a low quality picture, sorry its really bad but the the lump is that thing in the middle that kind of almost looks like its head.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7608/spa00031ty6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It doesn't have any hair on it, its pink/red.

Scouse
11-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Here is a low quality picture, sorry its really bad but the the lump is that thing in the middle that kind of almost looks like its head.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7608/spa00031ty6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It doesn't have any hair on it, its pink/red.

cant see anything lol. but it could be its privates. does it look anything like the picture i posted?

if its not the hamsters privates it could be a tumor as its quite old. so if you notice the lump has gone away it is deffo the privates. they come in and out all the time

ToxicPaddy
11-09-2008, 11:50 PM
cant see anything lol. but it could be its privates. does it look anything like the picture i posted?

Sorry its hard to get a good quality photo, he is half asleep and I can't get him to move so I can get a good pic :P Also, no its bigger than that and its pink skin with no hair.

Scouse
11-09-2008, 11:52 PM
must have bigger privates than that hamster then :P i wouldnt worry about it.

ToxicPaddy
11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Thank you for your help, +rep, much appreciated :)

Going to bed now, goodnight!

united-champ
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi, that is the worrying thing i got with my Dwarf hamsters, its not a problem its just their Nuts. Eg, BALLS

WileyWestwood
12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
It could be a little lump or something and it's been biting it or something? I'm not sure if it's cancer or something.. I hope not :( Good luck :P

Blue.Neon
12-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Hamsters don't usually live past 2 years, i've had 5 hamsters. When they get a lump on there tummys, its usually a bad sign sorry to say :(

I've seen this a few times with my hamsters.

:(

Scouse
12-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Hamsters don't usually live past 2 years, i've had 5 hamsters. When they get a lump on there tummys, its usually a bad sign sorry to say :(

ive had alot of hamsters due to breeding them & mine usually was alive for around 3 years. im 100% sure that the lump is the hamsters privates. when i first seen it on my hamster i wasnt sure what it was either.

Jordan:A
12-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Click here (https://edit.europe.yahoo.com/registration?.intl=us&new=1&.done=http%3A//answers.yahoo.com/my/my&.src=knowsrch&.v=0&.u=c0tefop4clh51&partner=&.partner=&pkg=&stepid=&.p=&promo=&.last=) Sign up and ask the question in the pets section, you get GREAT help from the users on there

benbam
13-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Ok, do you really want to take users' answers on here for granted? Do a useful thing for your hamster and take it to the vet, there are a variety of reasons why you should do this as its best for the hamster too - it may be a tumor but believe me you shouldn't trust its normal. Take it to the vet as it may be in pain and that's the worse thing you can give to a living animal.

I don't know the life expectancy of hamsters but I really urge you to book an appointment with a vet as all of us on here are not vets and we haven't seen the animal. Ignore every comment on here, it isn't helpful. No offence to anyone, but if something is strange on your hamster, you'd take it to the vet?

ToxicPaddy
13-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Ok, do you really want to take users' answers on here for granted?

Excuse me, but you are new to the forum, and there are some great helpful people on here. How do you know there are people on here who aren't vets or have hamsters and know a lot about them?

Hitman
13-09-2008, 04:41 PM
As other people have said, most hamsters don't live past 2 years... so why buy an old one that's probably on its way out? The guy probably sold it because of this lump; taking it to a vet will cost more than the hamster's worth, medicine for my brothers hamster cost nearly three times the price of the hamster.

Sorry if I sounded a bit mean.

luce
13-09-2008, 04:58 PM
i would say to take it to the vets better to be safe then sorry (:

Scouse
13-09-2008, 08:42 PM
get a clear picture and ill tell you if theres something wrong with the hamster or its just its balls!

ToxicPaddy
13-09-2008, 08:57 PM
As other people have said, most hamsters don't live past 2 years... so why buy an old one that's probably on its way out? The guy probably sold it because of this lump; taking it to a vet will cost more than the hamster's worth, medicine for my brothers hamster cost nearly three times the price of the hamster.

Lol dw you didn't sound mean, I bought not just because of the hamster, but because I got the cage system for it aswell. The hamster was just an 'add-on' you might say :)

Nereo
14-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Why is everyone saying they live for 2 years? Im sure its 3 years :P

Decapitated
14-09-2008, 03:57 PM
You people must treat your hamsters bad, ive had 4 and theyve lasted 3-5 year's the one i just had that died 3 months ago i had for 4 years and 4 months.

Nereo
14-09-2008, 05:41 PM
You people must treat your hamsters bad, ive had 4 and theyve lasted 3-5 year's the one i just had that died 3 months ago i had for 4 years and 4 months.

Maybe it depends on what type of Hamster you get ;)

e5
14-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Perhaps take it too the vet.

Also the other guy was right, if it's 2 years old, it won't have much longer to live now :(

14-09-2008, 06:00 PM
take a pic and let me see. i used to breed hamsters & males usually have a lump on there behind because its there private parts..

http://www.geocities.com/gumonyershoe/male.jpg

if it looks like that then its normal

exactly what i was going to say

it's usually their bits LOL

Inseriousity.
14-09-2008, 06:03 PM

I agree. I'd have bought a new one tbh. :)
I'd say take it to the vets but you have to pay. Better safe than sorry though.

BlueEyedSarah
14-09-2008, 09:00 PM

My hamster lived to 3 years and 1 month.

Is the lump hard or soft? It might be the male parts but if it is hard it might be a chumber (chew-mer) or it might be a skin infection.

Nussan
15-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi. Please bring your hamster to the vet! He probably has a tumor! Also not to be rude but 2 years is roughly how long hammies live.

BlueTackle
20-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Ok, do you really want to take users' answers on here for granted? Do a useful thing for your hamster and take it to the vet, there are a variety of reasons why you should do this as its best for the hamster too - it may be a tumor but believe me you shouldn't trust its normal. Take it to the vet as it may be in pain and that's the worse thing you can give to a living animal.

I don't know the life expectancy of hamsters but I really urge you to book an appointment with a vet as all of us on here are not vets and we haven't seen the animal. Ignore every comment on here, it isn't helpful. No offence to anyone, but if something is strange on your hamster, you'd take it to the vet?

Ok that is darn right rude.

I came here when my rabbit was looking dead and had lumps and they told me the right information and were very helpful and the people like you really upset me so if you don't know the habboxforum community then back off now because we are all very nice accept for an acception of calon :)

I reccomend you take it to the vet..

It could be a bruise or something, ask your freind you bought it off.

Hope I helped :)

ColourBands
05-10-2008, 09:37 PM
My old hamster had a lump in its mouth, it was a tumor and died slowly
I advise you to take it to the vets atleast then you can get something to stop the pain if it's that bad.
Unfoutunately with hamsters they are small so theres less you can do.
But yeah there might be something so take it to the vets :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!