PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of joining the army

g
15-09-2008, 07:49 PM
well im 15 in a couple of week's and im thinking of joining the army later in life me and my friend were discusing it before could anyone give me benefit's or joining the army and disadvantage's i know you could die obviously but it's just a dream of mine to fight in the army,

Technologic
15-09-2008, 07:53 PM
benefits = shooting stuff
cons = being shot

thats about it. the army = crap pay, crap housing and hardly any respect noawadays

Funya Chin
15-09-2008, 08:16 PM
You get paid for being shot at.

Wayne
15-09-2008, 08:20 PM
It's early retirement and the problem is, war isn't like what you see on films and games, it's a lot worse. You and your mate will become excited about it etc because you're gonna be shooting together and such, but it is hard and you could get injured easily. It probably sounds good talking about it but it isn't as good when you're actually doing it.

Corporal
15-09-2008, 08:39 PM
The army is a great thing to join. My family have all served, my dad and uncle were both navy bomb disposal, they served the falklands and northen ireland. This was the only bad part, as the rest of it they were clearing bombs in indonesia and places like that. The unlce then went into intergation and later joined the SAS. And he started out in a job that people dont real know exists.

If you do it deffo go in for a trade, like i said my dad was a diver. Now he is a saturation diver. He's on a six figure wage all because of the navy.

Ramones
15-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I say don't let anyone discourage you if it's your dream. The pays good if you can manage to work your way up the ranks, a good option would be to go to college first, get some A levels and then go into the army at a higher rank, on a decent salary. Something iv'e looked into ;)

Firehorse
15-09-2008, 09:08 PM
My cousin was in the army, you have to do minimum three years and I'm sure it isn't going to be good on your cv in later life as he's a dustbin man at the moment. Also if a war breaks out or the army run short of soldiers then once you are signed up, even after you resign they have the right to call you back to fight if they need to. If you really want to be a part of the army then I suggest trying to get a job as a director or someone who works away from the action.

USAF
15-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Hey man, think about joining your air force or something. Its alot safer and if its like the USAF you'd be getting paid more too.
Ive flew over Afghanistan and seen the Humvee lines and you almost feel sorry for the because you know their going to run into trouble along the line.
Ive also seen Airborne Rangers dropped from our C-130 and they get shot at while they are in the air, virtually helpless as you cannot man your weapon while dropping down.
I'd seriously think it through bro.
Goodluck non the less

Ezzie.
15-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Decent chance if you and your mate go together, your mate or you will be coming back in a coffin.

15-09-2008, 11:38 PM
If its a dream of yours than go for it.
But if you join with your friend you wont be together in a war.
And you can help us americans fight our wars :)

Hiro
17-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Just remember...there aren't any respawn points in real life.
But, good luck if you do join :)

Corporal
17-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Just remember...there aren't any respawn points in real life.
But, good luck if you do join :)
just to add, this is one thing alot of people dont think about.
Yes you may die, but you can be injured aswell. Now this could be so that you have to be helped to the toilet or u have lost a finger. either way it can happen.
In my opinion, to be able to say you have served your country its worth it.

BlueEyedSarah
17-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Benifits = 'Friends for life', sporting activities, later in future good job since you have been in the army.
I tried to apply for the army to become a nurse but all they were interested in was for me to be a soilder and fight which I was not interested in at all.

Geraint
17-09-2008, 09:54 PM
The chances of being killed in the army aren't very high and if you were going to be killed, it'd be great to know that you died fighting for your country. It's tough in the army, with poor accomodation and the high fitness level required. Personally, I couldnt do it but the feeling you'd get fighting for your own country would be great. You may even come back a hero.

xBenxx
17-09-2008, 09:56 PM
It's very very rare that someone gets killed. Its not all about fighting and shoving guns in people's faces. The army helps the country with floods etc.

Its a great place to work with, so ill go for it if i was you (:

Corporal
17-09-2008, 09:57 PM
The chances of being killed in the army aren't very high and if you were going to be killed, it'd be great to know that you died fighting for your country. It's tough in the army, with poor accomodation and the high fitness level required. Personally, I couldnt do it but the feeling you'd get fighting for your own country would be great. You may even come back a hero.
everyone in the military is a hero.

Geraint
17-09-2008, 10:15 PM
everyone in the military is a hero.

But some more than others.

PaintYourTarget
17-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm planning on signing up after I do a degree - going for the Royal Engineers at Officer level. If you're serious about doing it, then go for it. Don't let people put you down.

Breakfloor
17-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Pros -

Qualifications
friends
they harden you up
they help you through problems
cheap living
cheap food
war fighting
possible relation ship
good pension
driving licences
different careers
easy progress
fun
sports
get to go all around the world
shooting
fitness

cons -

being shot at
danger of being blown up
mental fitness needed
physical fitness needed
chance of post traumatic stress dissorder
long periods of time without being at home

Misawa
17-09-2008, 11:31 PM
If it's your dream, then follow it with everything you have and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

roundbox00
18-09-2008, 03:53 AM
IF you go for it, you'd better be ready to face what's coming

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!