PDA

View Full Version : Sky Broadband

Sunny.
25-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Well im moving from virgin broadband to sky soon. cus of the the 3 for all offers and i want sky+ but yer.

Im getting the 2MB package, with free router n internet security. My main issue is it says "2GB monthly usage allowance"

What does this mean?

I browse, go on msn, and the odd bit of game downloading n music downloads. Id say I download quite abit.

Would this 2GB usage effect me enough for the internet not to work? :S

Recursion
25-09-2008, 06:07 PM
If you download games and music then be very careful with that limit, its a crap limit LOL

--ss--
25-09-2008, 06:10 PM
It's how much you can download, personally it's too low, i'm currently on the 8mb Sky package which I belive has a unlimited limit (may not be, gotta check) and it only costs like £5 on top of the normal sky bill so you should probably go for that aswell.

DarrenToogood
25-09-2008, 06:10 PM
2GB a month?

In three days I have used 1.62 GB...?

lAscend
25-09-2008, 06:11 PM
if you go over the usage of 2GB then you will be charged hence why i have upgraded to unlimited for just £10 a month :)

xxMATTGxx
25-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah that limit is pretty low to be honest. Most people on here will download more then 2GB in a day roughly.

Judge Judy
25-09-2008, 06:29 PM
It's how much you can download, personally it's too low, i'm currently on the 8mb Sky package which I belive has a unlimited limit (may not be, gotta check) and it only costs like £5 on top of the normal sky bill so you should probably go for that aswell.

8mb is 40gb which is what I have, aswell as you :P

Hayd93
25-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah that limit is pretty low to be honest. Most people on here will download more then 2GB in a day roughly.

Ye just looking at ours now we use arround 1.5 - 2 gb a day. Sometimes even more.

Agnostic Bear
25-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Well im moving from virgin broadband to sky soon. cus of the the 3 for all offers and i want sky+ but yer.

Im getting the 2MB package, with free router n internet security. My main issue is it says "2GB monthly usage allowance"

What does this mean?

I browse, go on msn, and the odd bit of game downloading n music downloads. Id say I download quite abit.

Would this 2GB usage effect me enough for the internet not to work? :S

Ouch, yes it would with today's internet usage, I use anywhere between 2-10gb a day. I'm capped for a few hours but that's it, never told "you can't have internet anymore" I think they do that though. So take a read through the TOS.

N!ck
25-09-2008, 06:55 PM
2GB is nothing. If you're an extremely light user and just browse web pages and nothing image or video intensive then it's fine. Otherwise stay away. I'd say the average user uses around 300-500MB per day on just general internet browsing (youtube, social networking, general internet use). People downloading stuff could be hitting 5-10GB per day easy and in the more extreme users 40+ GB per day. With a 2Mbps downstream and probably around 384Kbps upstream that's not going to happen anyway lol.

Sunny.
25-09-2008, 09:10 PM
I think il go for the 8mb one then :)

Agnostic Bear
26-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I think il go for the 8mb one then :)

That's just being able to download more at a faster speed, you'll probably end up using that limit every month without fail leaving you without internet.

Sunny.
26-09-2008, 03:37 PM
well at the moment, im on the virgin media 2mb pack and its working fine

Recursion
26-09-2008, 03:53 PM
-.- yes but their limits are higher.

xxMATTGxx
26-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Yeah, the two companies are totally different. They will have different polices.

Agnostic Bear
26-09-2008, 04:34 PM

They have no limits on how much you can download. If you download a certain amount within a certain time frame they will simply slow you down for a few hours, Sky will cut you off for the rest of the month I think.

joshuar
28-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Nope they don't ;)

I have downloaded about 40GB on that package this month, they have never had a go at us for downloading too much, and we download alot in this house, aslong as a lot of browsing.

They may phone you up and tell you to slow it up slightly, but we've never had any problems with it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!