PDA

View Full Version : anyone considered/gone to university abroad?

alexxxxx
26-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm only in year 12, but i'm considering applying for university abroad (say in USA/CA/SG/NL or another place where English is spoken for instruction).

I'm just wondeirng if anyone has gone abroad for uni/know someone that has and knows how it's like.

Inseriousity.
26-09-2008, 03:35 PM
It'd be good to visit different countries and I'd never really thought about it but it sounds like a good idea unless you'd get really homesick like me... :)

Would international schools recognise English results though, if you get me? I mean A Levels might get you into British universities but maybe not American ones... (I dunno how it works tbh lol).

alexxxxx
26-09-2008, 03:40 PM
It'd be good to visit different countries and I'd never really thought about it but it sounds like a good idea unless you'd get really homesick like me... :)

Would international schools recognise English results though, if you get me? I mean A Levels might get you into British universities but maybe not American ones... (I dunno how it works tbh lol).

For US ones, you NEED to take another exam called the SAT, but for most of the others (including CA), they do accept them.

SUPERhanna.
26-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Wouldn't you need their qualifications to get in though?

ToxicPaddy
27-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I have always wanted to move to, and go to a university in Australia :)

Virgin Mary
27-09-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd go to Harvard like Elle Woods. Then move back to England and not pay off my loans so another one of their banks collapses.

Bomb-Head
27-09-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd go to Harvard like Elle Woods. Then move back to England and not pay off my loans so another one of their banks collapses.
LOL.

I'd like to go to one in Spain or America then move back home afterwards.

camera
27-09-2008, 05:12 PM
id very much like to go to australia coz 1) its nearer 2) my grandaunt lives there [:

JackBuddy
27-09-2008, 05:28 PM
If I were to go to a foreign uni then i'd only want to go somewhere like Singapore (or another english speaking country that actually has culture and I might learn something). As opposed to just going to America for the sake of it and living a similar life.

Blue.Neon
27-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I have in Canada and the US, but somehow I dont think i'll have the money. Its rather costly. I've looked up on it :(

Technologic
27-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm either planning on going to uni in CA or here then moving to CA as that's where i plan on living

alexxxxx
28-09-2008, 09:25 AM
to be honest, the price isn't really much different abroad, so i might apply when it's time

Puma!
28-09-2008, 11:31 AM
;5139774']to be honest, the price isn't really much different abroad, so i might apply when it's time

Say what? You're talking at least 55k for studying in the United States, plus US laws prevent you from only having a job inside a university's campus; which is paid very little. Then there are accommodation and living expenses, which would probably cost another 30k; so you'd be looking at paying a fee of around 85K.

As for the grade part, you'll need at least ABB and a good SAT score to apply to any 'respected' US university.

Btw - British banks don't give loans to students studying in the US :)

Throne Sofa
28-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I really don't see the point in going abroad for university. Seems a pointless hassle if you ask me.

alexxxxx
28-09-2008, 02:52 PM
For NL it's a goddam lot cheaper. You get the same price as NL students being an EU citizen. There are more places than the USA. ;)

Average cost of university is £32k. Whilst the tuition fees are just €1,565/yr in Amsterdam (doesn't include accomodation mind).

Virgin Mary
28-09-2008, 03:19 PM
I really don't see the point in going abroad for university. Seems a pointless hassle if you ask me.
So you don't have to pay back your loan. But I think if you move house so many times they lose track of you and your debt gets cleared anyway.

alexxxxx
28-09-2008, 03:27 PM
So you don't have to pay back your loan. But I think if you move house so many times they lose track of you and your debt gets cleared anyway.

It's like they've never heard of fraud.

mangle
28-09-2008, 03:31 PM
USA recognises it, the teacher that came from the states said that they recognised them. And at our college Alex you can do a scholorship for the American universaties, oh and i'd like to go :)

alexxxxx
28-09-2008, 04:11 PM
USA recognises it, the teacher that came from the states said that they recognised them. And at our college Alex you can do a scholorship for the American universaties, oh and i'd like to go :)

Sick. I'll look into that.

camera
28-09-2008, 04:17 PM
If I were to go to a foreign uni then i'd only want to go somewhere like Singapore (or another english speaking country that actually has culture and I might learn something). As opposed to just going to America for the sake of it and living a similar life.
Culture is dying here tbh. everything is going modern with integrated resorts and shiz. The good thing is that you meet different sorts of people.

dirrty
28-09-2008, 04:18 PM
id love to go to uni abroad, but dunno how to go about doing it. like a website which breaks everything down. i google'd the topic earlier and i only found rubbish sites lol.

if anywhere, i wanna go to uni in the usa, pref california lol. knowing me, this wont happen. so as far as universities in the uk, i wanna go to sheffield.

Judge Judy
28-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Culture is dying here tbh. everything is going modern with integrated resorts and shiz. The good thing is that you meet different sorts of people.

are you saying formula one aint culture :(:P

If I ever do goto a uni abroad it'd be in France because the chances are I'll be moving there soon and if I did law in UK and move to France the laws there are somewhat different. Speaking the language isn't a problem.

But the chances of going to a Uni abroad is slim to me :P

mangle
28-09-2008, 05:59 PM
;5141152']Sick. I'll look into that.
Check your inbox at college, they emailed everyone INIT.

alexxxxx
28-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Check your inbox at college, they emailed everyone INIT.

i remember the email but i thought it was just for sports but i guess they do normal ones too.

Ramones
28-09-2008, 08:30 PM
gotta have very rich mummy and daddy ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!