PDA

View Full Version : What can a site log?

Moh
04-10-2008, 08:34 PM
What can a site actually log?

All I know of is the IP address.

Is there any other ways of identifying a user, or just the ip?

craigg.
04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
a site can log the users ISP too.

Flisker
04-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Sites can log what OS your using your host name, browser, ip, how long you have been on the site etc.

Cixso
04-10-2008, 11:09 PM
How many times you have visited, what time you visited, date etc

Hypertext
04-10-2008, 11:28 PM
There is quite a lot that can be logged, mostly to do with whats installed on your computer. Like if you have shockwave installed, shockwave files can get your MAC Id or whatever it's called.

Calon
04-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Screen res and apparently color depth.

iJoe
05-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Name, address, e-mail, passport number, bank details

Joke,

It depends on what the webmaster has installed, different stat programs log different things. Most common are stated above like your i.p, isp, how long you were on site etc.

Hypertext
05-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Location via an IP Geolocation Service.

It looks like you want to identify a user, in which case, use a few of these things in conjunction with each other. Like an IP, and then a User-Agent, and a few other $_SERVER variables presuming your using PHP, then make sure at least like 3/5 are right, otherwise log them out of do whatever your trying to do.

Dentafrice
05-10-2008, 02:50 AM
It really depends on the site, you can log whatever the user/browser provides for you... other sites log different things, that the user provides for you.

Hence where privacy policies and legal conditions come in, they tell you what the site is collecting about you.

If you provide your First and Last name to a site, and your mobile number.. they store (log) it.. their privacy policy should tell what they do with the information.

It all depends on the site, if the user provides it.. and understands what it is going to be used for, you can log whatever they provide, as long as they know.

Hypertext
05-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Dentafrice is right. The only thing I know of which is literally impossible to withhold is an IP address. Then again, it is near impossible to browse the internet with only that these days.

Jxhn
05-10-2008, 09:00 AM
They can also log the refer to see which website you've come from.

The only thing I know of which is literally impossible to withhold is an IP address.
Proxy? VPN? IP spoofing?

http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/3748de27d354cf1headers.png

Dentafrice
05-10-2008, 11:40 AM
They can also log the refer to see which website you've come from.

Proxy? VPN? IP spoofing?

http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/3748de27d354cf1headers.png
Refered website aren't always true, and has to be clicked/iframe visit, etc to be a refered website :P

Calon
05-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Mac address?

Dentafrice
05-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Mac address?
Yes, they can log mac addresses.. but that is not avaliable through PHP, you can get it through Shockwave, Java, and I believe Flash might have the ability.

Calon
05-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Yes, they can log mac addresses.. but that is not avaliable through PHP, you can get it through Shockwave, Java, and I believe Flash might have the ability.
Oh, right.

Moh
05-10-2008, 12:16 PM
It would be good if we could log there mac address via PHP, would make banning so much easier :l

Dentafrice
05-10-2008, 12:20 PM
It's wayyy easier to spoof a MAC address then it is an IP address.

Moh
05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
True :(

Jxhn
05-10-2008, 02:16 PM

It's easy to use a proxy. IP spoofing is only a one way thing anway, which is why it's usually only used for DoSing.

Calon
05-10-2008, 07:10 PM
But..

They'd not realise they we're banned via MAC.

Hypertext
05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
It would be good if we could log there mac address via PHP, would make banning so much easier :l

Nope, it'd make Mac address' cheap, if you could use it in PHP, spoofing Mac Addresses would be easy.

Whoever said Proxy, VPN etc. From my knowledge (I may be wrong) you CANNOT withhold an IP address, you CAN spoof/change it, but you CANNOT withhold one. Impossible. So if you read properly.. I stand by my point.

Dentafrice
05-10-2008, 09:32 PM
It's easy to use a proxy. IP spoofing is only a one way thing anway, which is why it's usually only used for DoSing.

IP's are always in most cases traceable back to the source.. you always have an original IP when you connect to the internet, no matter how many VPN's/proxies you go through, you still connected from one source...

MAC addresses are a totally different thing.

craigg.
06-10-2008, 03:22 PM
People who say its impossible to withold a IP is a load of ********. Lets say I was on a 512kb dialup. It is easy to withold my actual IP. Just because most computer literate people are on broadband with routers and have dynamic IP's doesnt mean the latter do.

If the person is using windows os then you could probably grab the system info. like the shockwave version as someone has said. you could probably grab the directX version too.

I'm just thinking outside the box here: I guess it would be possible to grab a picture of the user if they have a webcam installed. I think shockwave has the ability to view/send webcam screenings.

Calon
06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
People who say its impossible to withold a IP is a load of ********. Lets say I was on a 512kb dialup. It is easy to withold my actual IP. Just because most computer literate people are on broadband with routers and have dynamic IP's doesnt mean the latter do.

If the person is using windows os then you could probably grab the system info. like the shockwave version as someone has said. you could probably grab the directX version too.

I'm just thinking outside the box here: I guess it would be possible to grab a picture of the user if they have a webcam installed. I think shockwave has the ability to view/send webcam screenings.
Facebook can take webcam shots. Which is done by shockwave, me thinks.

Dentafrice
06-10-2008, 09:52 PM

All these things are possible, it just has to be approved, and shockwave has to have access to it.. which it doesn't.

HabbDance
06-10-2008, 09:58 PM
browser, pages visited, time visited, ip, etc..

EDIT: my webhost also allows you to see what site they were reffered from if they clicked a link.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!