PDA

View Full Version : iMac or No iMac

VistaBoy
05-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Okay i want to get my self a iMac from small cheap one i think its 20inch or some thing like that are they any good like has any one got one?? do you think its better then windows as all i do on the computer is code, browser the net talk on msn and skype thats about it.

Moved by MattGarner (Forum Moderator): Moved from "Technology Section", better suited under here.

alexxxxx
05-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Okay i want to get my self a iMac from small cheap one i think its 20inch or some thing like that are they any good like has any one got one?? do you think its better then windows as all i do on the computer is code, browser the net talk on msn and skype thats about it.

imacs aren't cheap.

xxMATTGxx
05-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Well for your needs, the mac will be great. But they aren't cheap, many people on here will just go on about how expensive they are. If you have the money then go for it, best decision I made.

lolwut
05-10-2008, 08:46 AM
If all your doing is MSN and coding and the like, there isn't justification for a iMac. Get a high specification Mac mini and a nice display. :P
I could be wrong, but iMac's not really targeted at your needs (most people with iMac's who I know use them in schools/offices etc.) whereas a Mac mini is more suited.
I guess if you've got the cash to burn then go ahead, they are a really sexy machine. :)

VistaBoy
05-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Well AUD $1599 is CHEAP (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac) the 20-inch: 2.4GHz.... my crapy windows laptop cost me more then that....... some one told me hold off a month as a new line is coming out that will be better at the same price (he works at a apple reseller store)

@MattGarner how do you find a mac on the speed on boot up and all?

xxMATTGxx
05-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Well AUD $1599 is CHEAP (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac) the 20-inch: 2.4GHz.... my crapy windows laptop cost me more then that....... some one told me hold off a month as a new line is coming out that will be better at the same price (he works at a apple reseller store)

@MattGarner how do you find a mac on the speed on boot up and all?

I have a Mac Mini, low specification one but I put the ram up to 2GB and I have an external 500GB. But anyway, the speed on boot up is great, everything is great. If you want to go for an iMac, then do it. I want one but didn't have the money at the time when I got the mini. The speed will be fine for you, just upgrade the ram to 2GB/3/4. Although I suggest doing it yourself and not paying the rip off Apple sell :P

VistaBoy
05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
With the mac mini can you use any LCD, mouse and keyboard?

Nick.
05-10-2008, 10:10 AM
With the mac mini can you use any LCD, mouse and keyboard?
Yes, but some wireless mice and keyboards might not work, you'd need to check the manufacturers website to make sure :)

xxMATTGxx
05-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, The mac mini comes included with a VGA-DVI converter and for keyboard and mouse most USB ones do work but like Nick said, always check :P

Hayd93
05-10-2008, 10:18 AM
If you wanted something in between the mini and the imac maybe go for the higher spec mini. The 2ghz superdrive version.

My mate also upgraded his himself and put a 250gb hdd and upgraded ram to 3 gb for arround £100.

VistaBoy
05-10-2008, 11:45 AM
As i have only had laptops it works out cheaper for me to get a iMac (as with the mini i would have to get a keyboard and screen). but has any one get any idea of what going on with the roomers there a new Imac line coming soon would that be true as i do not know if to hold off or get one in 3 weeks?

Hayd93
05-10-2008, 11:54 AM
As i have only had laptops it works out cheaper for me to get a iMac (as with the mini i would have to get a keyboard and screen). but has any one get any idea of what going on with the roomers there a new Imac line coming soon would that be true as i do not know if to hold off or get one in 3 weeks?

Not heard anything about new imacs. new macbooks and new mini maybe yes but nothing about a new imac.

VistaBoy
05-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh i got two people with macs (mac lovers to the max) and they say theres a lot of roomers about new iMacs hmm i do not know what to do :S

xxMATTGxx
05-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Well you could wait, but no one has any official news on when anything is gonna be announced/released. Just rumors, so its up to you really :)

VistaBoy
05-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I mite wait off until next month (a hard and long wait) and then i should be if no news it out by then ill get me self a iMac that i have been saving all year for :D

GommeInc
05-10-2008, 12:52 PM
In my opinion, no. It's a waste of money if that's all you're going to do. Unless you're going into graphical design and anything that's basically media creating and editing, you may aswell get a cheap laptop or PC and do all the coding in that :/ Skype and MSN will work fine on any PC, unless you somehow manage to buy a PC with terrible specifications, and I mean TERRIBLE specifications :P

VistaBoy
05-10-2008, 01:00 PM
@ yea i for got to say i do a lot of move compiling converting moves and stuff from my DVDs to AVI (talk about lag house on my pc now)

GommeInc
05-10-2008, 01:05 PM
@ yea i for got to say i do a lot of move compiling converting moves and stuff from my DVDs to AVI (talk about lag house on my pc now)
Do you really need that much power for that? I guess if you get a reasonably powerful Mac, you'll find new ways of testing it's power and will expand into utilizing it in different ways. So buy that Mac if you want it, not everyone stays with their original ideas of MSN, Skype and Coding :P You may go into digital media of creating music and intense graphics :P

VistaBoy
05-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Any one else here got a Mac and what do they think of it?

Johno
05-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah I have one and I would say it was probably the best purchase I have made. My MacBook is rarely off and its running super-fast :)

I would say if you can, get an iMac or seriously consider a MBP (There should be a revamp of the MBP in October)

VistaBoy
06-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Okay i mite get me self one tomorrow or next month i need some input as i had a dream of getting one and viewing all screencasts and reading last night it gave me the best Mac dream LOL...

any why here it is should i get this one tomorrow.
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/48e963da0f7c6b68273fc0a87e010712/Product/View/XC4570

or get this one next month
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/48e963da0f7c6b68273fc0a87e010712/Product/View/XC4571

or ill get it from apple as they are the same you know ;)

lolwut
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Not heard anything about new imacs. new macbooks and new mini maybe yes but nothing about a new imac.
Who/where informed you of the new Mini's? I thought this event was MacBook only... And I just bought a Mini. :(

xxMATTGxx
07-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Who/where informed you of the new Mini's? I thought this event was MacBook only... And I just bought a Mini. :(

No one is fully sure. Although the main rumor going around at the moment is some sort of MacBook releasing within the next week or so, maybe they will release other products such as a new Mac Mini. But we not sure until they do.

VistaBoy
07-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Thank you for your help I am getting the iMac 20" 2.66Ghz on my first week of next month :D

xxMATTGxx
07-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Thank you for your help I am getting the iMac 20" 2.66Ghz on my first week of next month :D

Sweet, sounds great. Have fun with your mac :)

bigdavecox90
07-10-2008, 11:34 AM

How much is it setting you back?

VistaBoy
07-10-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/48eb4f8f0cc45898273fc0a87e0106f0/Product/View/XC4571

From DSE it will cost me $1,899.00 AUD (dam au $ sucks)

How much is it setting you back?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!