PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray off...

Frodo13.
12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Xbox Group product manager Aaron Greenberg has refuted reports that Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology Corp will develop a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360, claiming owners of the console would not be interested in such an add-on.

"We have no plans to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," he told Major Nelson. "We believe that we shouldn't force people to pay for things they don't want."

Following the commercial failure of the HD-DVD format Microsoft decided to invest in, Greenberg also stated that Microsoft's position on high-definition movie and TV content is currently centred around digital distribution.

"We've invested in a massive library of entertainment content. That's why we're bringing things like Netflix to members in the US, that's why we're growing our library in Europe, that's why we're adding all types of entertainment experiences around the world.

"And Blu-ray: who knows? I'll tell you one thing: if you look at retail sales and availability, there's not a lot there, and what is there is at a premium," he added. "No one knows what Blu-ray will be. It's pretty clear it's not the next DVD, right? The days of one physical format being the standard I think are gone... We're not sure if it's the next UMD or DVD."

Source: Digital Spy

Lol at him basically saying the Blu-Ray is a failure :rolleyes:

Neil
12-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Personally I think blu-ray is a failure, it's better image quality and much larger size in disks but it's unlikely many game developers will want to use so much space for games and movies just don't need that much space, it's a waste of time and money, especially when you look at the price of a blu-ray movie, it's just pathetic it costs so much just because of the disk it's burned onto

Frodo13.
12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Personally I think blu-ray is a failure, it's better image quality and much larger size in disks but it's unlikely many game developers will want to use so much space for games and movies just don't need that much space, it's a waste of time and money, especially when you look at the price of a blu-ray movie, it's just pathetic it costs so much just because of the disk it's burned onto

The price is pathetic? For example, on Play.com, The Dark Knight is set to be released on DVD for £11.99, On Blu-Ray, it is £14.99. I'm sure you will really miss the £3 difference :rolleyes:

Neil
12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
The price is pathetic? For example, on Play.com, The Dark Knight is set to be released on DVD for £11.99, On Blu-Ray, it is £14.99. I'm sure you will really miss the £3 difference :rolleyes:

That's pretty messed up, I go into Blockbuster and the prices are FAR away from that, it's like £30 for one movie >.<

Frodo13.
12-10-2008, 11:37 AM
That's pretty messed up, I go into Blockbuster and the prices are FAR away from that, it's like £30 for one movie >.<

It's gone down a hell of alot since then. Places such as Woolworths are a tiny bit more, something like £16 on Blu-RAY, but £30 was a long time ago.

Neil
12-10-2008, 11:47 AM
It's gone down a hell of alot since then. Places such as Woolworths are a tiny bit more, something like £16 on Blu-RAY, but £30 was a long time ago.

This was only like 2 weeks ago, I saw them and was shocked at the fact they actually charged that much for a movie

Hiro
12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I personally can't notice the difference between Blu-ray and standard DVDs.

kk.
12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
blockbuster is a rip off anyway. If you go by them prices then im sorry but you are sadly mistaken about blu-ray prices.

Games use all that space so they can better graphics and make the story better and longer... i lol'd on MGS4 when it said insert disk two. Then it said, oh wait, you're using a blu ray disk which is dual layered... never mind.

Neil
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I personally can't notice the difference between Blu-ray and standard DVDs.

There is a very noticable difference but it doesn't mean anything anyway xD

blockbuster is a rip off anyway. If you go by them prices then im sorry but you are sadly mistaken about blu-ray prices.

Games use all that space so they can better graphics and make the story better and longer... i lol'd on MGS4 when it said insert disk two. Then it said, oh wait, you're using a blu ray disk which is dual layered... never mind.

It is very unlikely any game will ever use more than 20gb to be honest, no game company will want that much time spent on one game when they could release at least 3 games in the time it would take to fill 1 blu-ray disk, it's HIGHLY unlikely MGS4 even used as much space as people seem to believe

Technologic
12-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah but if you think how much DVDs cost like 10 years ago

Misawa
13-10-2008, 08:58 PM
The picture and sound quality of films is a helluva lot better on Blu-Ray than in standard definition. Albeit, some transfers are better than others.

Like everything that is brand new, the price will rapidly decrease over time. Look at HDTVs for example, a 50" was like £5,000 when they were first available, now you can get them for under £1000, and that's only a couple of years. Blu-Ray is the future of home entertainment. DVD was released in 1997 and took over from VHS in 2002. Give Blu-Ray a few years and DVD will be a thing of the past.

Niall!
18-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Awww sucks, means we won't be able to watch Blu ray only movies such as Metal Gear Solid 4 on our xbox 360

to bad

Fez
18-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Awww sucks, means we won't be able to watch Blu ray only movies such as Metal Gear Solid 4 on our xbox 360

to bad
Haha, damn right it's a movie haha.

Technologic
18-10-2008, 07:27 PM

to bad
I see what you did there....

:D

Jibbish
19-10-2008, 07:31 AM

to bad
You mean this movie?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808372/

Dont worry it will probaly fit on a standard DVD :8

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!