PDA

View Full Version : PS3 firmware 2.50

TonyBest
15-10-2008, 10:14 AM
The next update is out now. Some features include power saving for the wireless controllers and easier account management

Moh
15-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Power Saving for the remotes sounds good. I have fell asleep with the PS3 on and the remotes ran out.

Moh
15-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Couldn't edit above :(

An update to the PS3 system software was released on October 15, 2008. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 2.50 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 2.50, you will need a minimum 140Mb of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).
Main features in system software update version 2.50

PlayStation®Network

The account creation screens under [Sign Up for PlayStation®Network] and the menus under [Account Management] have been redesigned.
http://uk.playstation.com/servlet/file/syssoftware250_account_en.jpg?ITEM_ENT_ID=123498&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=38
Other new or revised features in version 2.50
Users

You now have an option to set the PS3 system to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has been completed. This option is available when you are turning off the system under [Users] > [Turn Off System] while content is being downloaded or installed.

Settings

[BD/DVD Settings] has been renamed as [Video Settings].
Under [Video Settings], the [Cinema Conversion] and [Upscale] options have been renamed as [BD/DVD Cinema Conversion] and [BD/DVD Upscaler], respectively.
[Sequential Playback] and [50 Hz Video Output] have been added as options under [Video Settings].
[DivX® VOD Registration Code] has been added under [System Settings]. You must use this registration code to authenticate and register the PS3 system to be able to play video files that are compatible with the DivX® VOD (Video On Demand) service on your system. For details, visit divx.com/vod/ (http://www.divx.com/vod/)
[Power Save Settings] has been added as an option under Settings. To save power, the PS3 system and Wireless controllers can be set to turn off automatically after a certain period of inactivity.
Under [Accessory Settings] > [Audio Device Settings], the method for reconnecting Bluetooth® devices has been changed.
Under [Accessory Settings] > [Keyboard Type], you can now choose the following keyboard types: [German Keyboard (Switzerland)], [French Keyboard (Canada)] and [French Keyboard (Switzerland)].
In the keyboard layout for [German Keyboard], the "Y" and "Z" keys have been switched and the "Q" and "A" keys have been switched.
Under [Printer Settings] > [Printer Selection], you can now select printers that support network connectivity. You can also select HP printers using the [HP] option.

Music

You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel (or the mini-size control panel).
[Pause] has been added as an icon on the mini-size control panel.

Video

You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel.
[Scene Search] has been added as an option on the control panel.
You can now use the [Mosquito Noise Reduction] setting for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. Use this setting to reduce mosquito noise that appears on the edges of visual images.
During BD (BDAV) and DVD playback, a technique known as “chroma upsampling” is now automatically selected based on the movement of objects within the video content and then applied to enhance images in the content.

Game

[Sync with Server] has been added as an option under [Trophy Collection].
By pressing the PS button while playing PLAYSTATION 3 format software, you can now view information from the [Settings and Connection Status List] option under [Network Settings].*

* This feature is not available for use with some PLAYSTATION 3 format software.
Network

Support for Adobe® Flash® Player 9 has been added to [Internet Browser].*

* “Adobe” and “Flash” are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
PlayStation®Network

The way to disable the automatic sign-in option and the way to sign out from PlayStation®Network have been changed.
In PlayStation®Store, the design of the [View Downloads] and [View Cart] buttons has been changed, and a [Redeem Codes] button has been added.

Note:

This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions.
The new system software will preserve any settings previously made to the PLAYSTATION 3.
Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.

iNizzy
15-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering is it only out in US or in UK aswell? I will put my PS3 on now and check but I very much dobt it of the UK we get left out lol..

Plus anyone know when Home comes?

PSN name : FSXnizzy

kk.
15-10-2008, 01:32 PM
out for uk aswell..

no-one knows when home is coming either

Jordan3606
15-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Overall nice update, some cosmetic tweaks basically, lol. Account management and the PS Store look a lot cleaner now. Same with account signup.

I like the 'last signed on' feature under offline friends, and the updated trophy system is a lot more useful now too. XMB Screen capture sounds good too, though I doubt many games will support it :(

brandon
15-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, bit of a tidy up really. Cause it was 2.50 I thought it was gonna be something big mind.

Wayne
15-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Great update. Updating now. :)

Stitch
16-10-2008, 05:09 PM
I love the new account management. Much easier to use now.

Wayne
16-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I like the feature where it tells you when the last time friends were online.

Stitch
16-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I like the feature where it tells you when the last time friends were online.
I swear thats broken lol I've never seen a friend under last online 80 minutes ago.

Wayne
16-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Lol, it probably is broken. :) I also like the feature to turn your controller off after 10 mins.

Jordan3606
17-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Not broken, just poorly thought out :p

It tells you the last time they signed in, rather than the time at which they logged out

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!