PDA

View Full Version : Death Entitlement.

Describe
22-10-2008, 03:59 PM
My grandad passed away last weekend. The funeral was orginized very quickly, and the total sum has come to around Two Thousand Pounds. My Grandad had insurance so my Mum gets around 10,000. My Grandad lived with us and paid the gas/electricity etc. Now, my Mum has to pay all of this to the tune of around 400 pounds monthly. Now, my Grandad formerly worked for the Michelin Tire Factory and retired at the age of 60, receiving his pension. Does anybody know if my Mum will receive his pension money or will it die with him? It's worrying, my Mum gets around 11,000 yearly but it's going to be hard to pay out 400 pounds monthly. +REP for help.

scottish
22-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't think so..

jackass
22-10-2008, 04:09 PM
If it was in his will, then yes.

RockyHorror
22-10-2008, 04:45 PM
EMPLOYER’S PENSION SCHEMES OR PERSONAL PENSIONS

Some employers provide occupational pension schemes that pay a lump sum to help with funeral costs and sometimes pension benefits for widows, widowers, surviving civilpartners and other survivors.

Check to see if the deceased has ever belonged to this sort of scheme. The deceased may have made his or her own arrangements if he or she was self-employed, or his or her employer did not have an employer’s pension scheme. If the deceased was receiving a pension from a previous job, find out who is paying it. It might be the employer’s pension scheme or an insurance company. Tell the representative of the pension scheme of the death, and if there is a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, dependent child or other dependant, since they may be able to get a pension. If they already receive a pension they may be able to get further pensions. Find out if there was pension due to be paid on retirement from a previous employer. If there is a pension you should check who is responsible for paying it, for example the employer or an insurance company.

If you have difficulty in finding the employer (or whoever has taken over responsibility for the pension if the employer has given this responsibility up) you can get help from:

The Pension Service
Pension Tracing Service
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA
Telephone: 0845 6002537
Useful websites: www.thepensionservice.gov.uk
www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk

EleanorG
23-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Two thousand pounds?
That is a lot of money!
No wonder you see so many of these adverts advising over 60's to save some money to go towards their funeral, I am really shocked.

I don't think your mother will get any money, unless it is in the scheme or will of your late grandfather. I would advise you and your mother to look into other benefits off the government, and maybe even start looking at what you can do to cut the costs of your bills. This is a difficult situation you are in...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!