PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft releases URGENT security patch

---MAD---
23-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Microsoft (which very rarely) has released an URGENT security patch out of the usual "first Tuesdays of every month" releases due to the importance of this patch.

All Windows users are recommended to upgrade asap (just run windows update). Its a critical update on Windows XP and older versions but important on Vista. Apparently this security bug is also in pre-beta of Windows 7 for those that are running it.

This bug was found by Microsoft teams themselves showing how serious they are taking security problems and how much time they devote to it now and how well they have responded to release this fix.

Recursion
23-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Will update tomorrow, thanks for the heads up :)

scottish
23-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Apparently due to a vulnerability in file-sharing on every version of windows :P which allowed users to exploit and gain entry to systems o.0

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms08-067.mspx

GommeInc
23-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Done. In simple language, what exactly is the problem? I read the above article and all I did was nod and agree :P

scottish
23-10-2008, 09:43 PM
A remote code execution vulnerability exists in the Server service on Windows systems. The vulnerability is due to the service not properly handling specially crafted RPC requests. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take complete control of an affected system.

GommeInc
23-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Ah right, that made some sense... Not alot but you can't possibly simplify that anymore :P

scottish
23-10-2008, 09:49 PM
RPC is Remote Procedure Calls its a system on windows that allows it to make a 'call' to programs etc through a network

So the system has a exploit people can use to remotely connect to the computer gaining access to it without the use of a username/password.

GommeInc
23-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I did a few definition searches on Google :P That is quite a big risk though, but thankfully Microsoft found it and no-one else.

Agnostic Bear
24-10-2008, 04:12 AM
This exploit has been around for almost 6 years. It's not new at all.

Rix
25-10-2008, 11:03 AM
lol its taken them 6 years to find it *claps* well done

Christian
26-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll have to update myself soon.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!