PDA

View Full Version : New Dell Inspiron Mini

Flisker
27-10-2008, 11:26 AM
http://img.ed4.net/dell/emea/2009/Q3/WK13/Incremental/Consumer/uk_inc_2.jpg (http://ud.ed10.net/r/FLHCOD/EWB9J/196V8I/18OJG7/YCMVW/W1/h?a1=102787353)
http://img.ed4.net/dell/emea/2009/Q3/WK13/Incremental/Consumer/uk_inc_3.jpghttp://img.ed4.net/dell/emea/2009/Q3/WK13/Incremental/Consumer/uk_inc_4.jpghttp://img.ed4.net/dell/emea/2009/Q3/WK13/Incremental/Consumer/uk_inc_5.jpg

Hey,

Just got an email about the Dell Inspiron Mini

Views?

Christian
27-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Nice!

It's about time Dell released their own ultra mobile laptop. It's more expensive than the other different brand ones you can get but it's from Dell so I am guessing it's probably built better. If I hadn't of got the Asus one when they first came out and waited I probably would of got one of those! It looks slightly bigger than the others though.

Flisker
27-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I think the design looks AMAZING

Christian
27-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I think the design looks AMAZING

True, it looks better than all of the other ultra mobile laptops, it actually looks just like the normal Dell Inspiron but just shrunk but then I suppose that's where it gets it name from Dell Inspiron Mini lol.

Flisker
27-10-2008, 01:01 PM
xD does make sense like that

scottish
27-10-2008, 01:07 PM
9" screen omg!! i hate 15.4" screens :\

other than that its ok :P

Recursion
27-10-2008, 01:09 PM
This has been out for months! :P

Christian
27-10-2008, 02:32 PM
This has been out for months! :P

Rofl. Well they didn't advertise it very well :P.

It has 1024 x 768 resolution so you can actually play a games such as the first Cossacks game on it quite easily and similar requirement games.

Pyroka
27-10-2008, 02:55 PM
That was bound to happen, I read it in PC Pro and the guy who runs Dell was like "Hmm, I actually hate mini PCs but we want some moneys so meh, we'll release one".

Firstly, the specs are exactly the same for an Asus EEE PC, but thing is you could get a 160GB hard drive for 30 quid more. 16GB SSD isn't that good either, you won't feel the full benefits of SSD with a hard drive of that size. 4-Cell battery isn't that great really. 1GB memory is standard for most laptops, except ones which run Linux. Home XP isn't great, you can get pro on most minitops now. 9 inch screen is small, you can get a 10 inch for the same price, with a better keyboard. Wireless specs aren't anything special, neither is bluetooth.

WHOA, just looked at the thing properly too and the design isn't really that good. They've forfeitted a huge amount of space between the keyboard and screen for... nothing. That's pretty bad imo, and the mouse doesn't look that nice either. I wouldn't buy one, you can get much better ones for less price if you look around.

scottish
27-10-2008, 03:04 PM
the guy who runs dell, as in michael dell?

Pyroka
27-10-2008, 03:11 PM
YES Thats the one LOL.

HotelUser
27-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Rofl. Well they didn't advertise it very well :P.

It has 1024 x 768 resolution so you can actually play a games such as the first Cossacks game on it quite easily and similar requirement games.

With a maximum of 1GB of ram..I wouldn't plan on too much gaming..

True, it looks better than all of the other ultra mobile laptops, it actually looks just like the normal Dell Inspiron but just shrunk but then I suppose that's where it gets it name from Dell Inspiron Mini lol.

I do like this design. Though I do like the ASUS N10's design MUCH better.

Nice!

It's about time Dell released their own ultra mobile laptop. It's more expensive than the other different brand ones you can get but it's from Dell so I am guessing it's probably built better. If I hadn't of got the Asus one when they first came out and waited I probably would of got one of those! It looks slightly bigger than the others though.

Why? Read what I said below. The EEE 901 has much more features. Plus the EEE is smaller.

Firstly, the specs are exactly the same for an Asus EEE PC,
No. The EEE is smaller, has better battery life (EEE has 6 cell where as this has 4 cell)has a higher maximum for ram, internal storage, and the EEE has wireless N.
but thing is you could get a 160GB hard drive for 30 quid more. 16GB SSD isn't that good either, you won't feel the full benefits of SSD with a hard drive of that size. 4-Cell battery isn't that great really. 1GB memory is standard for most laptops, except ones which run Linux. Home XP isn't great, you can get pro on most minitops now. 9 inch screen is small, you can get a 10 inch for the same price, with a better keyboard. Wireless specs aren't anything special, neither is bluetooth.
Another thing about the EEE is the operating system is on a 4GB SSD, then there's an 8GB or 16GB SSD also. What are you saying? That you cannot see the speed difference in a 16GB SSD as opposed to a hard drive? Can I get proof? The limits on this thing are terrible. You can only have UP TO 1GB of ram (The EEE is 2GB max), and only up to a 16GB SSD. On EEEs, second generation specifically, you can swap out the secondary SSD for a 1.8" HHD connecting through ZIF. The EEE has 6 cell battery life too, this only has 4 cell.

WHOA, just looked at the thing properly too and the design isn't really that good. They've forfeitted a huge amount of space between the keyboard and screen for... nothing. That's pretty bad imo, and the mouse doesn't look that nice either. I wouldn't buy one, you can get much better ones for less price if you look around.
It sort of looks like an EEE 701, where there was a vast amount of space around the monitor.

Christian
27-10-2008, 04:42 PM
With a maximum of 1GB of ram..I wouldn't plan on too much gaming..

Yeah I know, that's why I refered to the old Cossasks game, that worked well on a 32 MB RAM Pentium 2 with Windows 98 :P so basically any game that came out around the sametime as that, earlier and a few that came out later would work so most old classics.

I got an Asus Eee 701 PC when they first came out, I took Linux off and installed Windows XP Home and it worked like a charm. I got quite a few old classics installed on my Eee PC but the resolution was a bit annoying with some being the highest you could get without plugging in another monitor was 800 x 600.

scottish
27-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Who'd want to play old games? :P

Christian
27-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Lol. Some of them were fairly legend :P, I enjoy playing the old games such as Cossacks, it brings back memories and some were rather addictive.

HotelUser
27-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Who wouldn't?!

Yeah I know, that's why I refered to the old Cossasks game, that worked well on a 32 MB RAM Pentium 2 with Windows 98 :P so basically any game that came out around the sametime as that, earlier and a few that came out later would work so most old classics.

I got an Asus Eee 701 PC when they first came out, I took Linux off and installed Windows XP Home and it worked like a charm. I got quite a few old classics installed on my Eee PC but the resolution was a bit annoying with some being the highest you could get without plugging in another monitor was 800 x 600.

Or you could download the res_utility from eeeuser and have 600x800 on the Eee's monitor.

I have an EEE 901 now, but when I had my 701 after upgrading to 2GB ram I was able to play GTA:SA (of course not with high graphics:P).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!