PDA

View Full Version : New Netbook

graffiti
27-10-2008, 07:46 PM
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1621875846.122513658 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadefhlegjfgcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=1&sm=0&tm=6&sku=339082&category_oid=
Rate/hate :D I love it

Thread Closed by MattGarner (Forum Super Moderator): Closed due to arguments are stirring , you can happily repost it.

Absently
27-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Tbh, I think it's only for business people, 'cos they go alot of places.

graffiti
27-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm basically only using it for movies at night :)

HotelUser
27-10-2008, 08:04 PM
The Aspire One is a nice machine, very good for its price. However specification wise the AsusEEE is much better. Though, you'll need to fork over the extra cash to get it.

Tbh, I think it's only for business people, 'cos they go alot of places.
Not necessarily. Netbooks are getting better as far as processing power goes. You could easily play Grand Theft Auto, Wow, Sims on one of these. To add to that, the Duo core EEE is coming out first quorter 2009, and it will have a touchscreen.

I'm basically only using it for movies at night :)
They play movies well;).

graffiti
27-10-2008, 09:27 PM
How could you fit the WoW disc etc in the side as the slot isn't big enough?

Hayd93
27-10-2008, 09:31 PM
How could you fit the WoW disc etc in the side as the slot isn't big enough?
external dvd drive maybe ?

graffiti
27-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Sorry, I don't know much about technichal stuff and computers etc, I just buy stuff and use it :P

HotelUser
28-10-2008, 10:08 AM
external dvd drive maybe ?

Typically you'd use something like ImgBurn to get an ISO of the disk, then use that.

graffiti
28-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Typically you'd use something like ImgBurn to get an ISO of the disk, then use that.

Or alternatively, you could use a website to watch movies off.

J0SH
28-10-2008, 05:02 PM
It probably won't even have the specs to allow you to play WoW, plus they usually tend to use Linux and I believe WoW is only Mac and Windows ;)

mb-group.net
28-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I would recommend these only if you are going to do a lot of travelling. The NetBooks have VERY small screens, don't even try to watch a movie or play a game, your eyes will strain.

They are great for taking to McDonalds or StarBucks and making use of the WiFi connection there, so if you are a business traveller, try one. They are also very light and VERY cool :)

HotelUser
28-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I would recommend these only if you are going to do a lot of travelling. The NetBooks have VERY small screens, don't even try to watch a movie or play a game, your eyes will strain.

They are great for taking to McDonalds or StarBucks and making use of the WiFi connection there, so if you are a business traveller, try one. They are also very light and VERY cool :)

We play games on PSPs and Gameboys. A 9" screen for gaming is fine. The 9" screen on the 901 EEE (10" for 1001) is fine for movies too, as portable DVD players are commonly 7"s, watching a movie on a 9" eee gives you two extra inches.

It probably won't even have the specs to allow you to play WoW, plus they usually tend to use Linux and I believe WoW is only Mac and Windows ;)

Wrong in-fact. Not only do most Netbooks come with XP, but the specifications for say an EEE901 are perfectly fine to run WoW.

Or alternatively, you could use a website to watch movies off.
I'm talking about for playing games. If it was about a movie you could watch it in poor quallity online, or just convert the movie to an AVI.

J0SH
28-10-2008, 06:17 PM
In that case you don't need discs to download WoW get it from www.wow-europe.com

mb-group.net
29-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm saying that it suited to business users. It wasn't created for games or movies. WOW on a 9 inch screen with a very low resolution will be awful, the mouse pad is too small. YOu would be much better getting a low cost laptop. I prefer Lenovo ThinkPads but they are business orientated laptops and are a lot of money. A Dell Inspiron is cheap and would give you a much better movie watching/gaming experience.

J0SH
29-10-2008, 10:06 PM
We play games on PSPs and Gameboys. A 9" screen for gaming is fine. The 9" screen on the 901 EEE (10" for 1001) is fine for movies too, as portable DVD players are commonly 7"s, watching a movie on a 9" eee gives you two extra inches.

Wrong in-fact. Not only do most Netbooks come with XP, but the specifications for say an EEE901 are perfectly fine to run WoW.

I'm talking about for playing games. If it was about a movie you could watch it in poor quallity online, or just convert the movie to an AVI.

By the way if you can read then you would see on the Curry's page that it's not XP.

New Acer Aspire One A110 AW White Netbook! Comes with white sleek design, lightweight, 8.9" display & built in webcam. Featuring the latest Intel mobile technology with the low voltage Atom processor.

Intel Atom N270processor - Energy efficient
Portable - 8.9" screen size & less than 1KG
Storage - 8GB Flash Hard Drive
Linux Lite operating system - Easy to use
Extras - 0.3MP webcam & memory card reader

Pyroka
29-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I know this'll seem a bit narrowminded of me, but it's an Acer. Imo, you shouldn't buy it for that reason.

HotelUser
30-10-2008, 01:20 AM
I know this'll seem a bit narrowminded of me, but it's an Acer. Imo, you shouldn't buy it for that reason.

You're not being narrow minded at all. In addition to the Aspire being larger than other Netbooks, one of the reasons I didn't buy it was because it's an Acer.

By the way if you can read then you would see on the Curry's page that it's not XP.

New Acer Aspire One A110 AW White Netbook! Comes with white sleek design, lightweight, 8.9" display & built in webcam. Featuring the latest Intel mobile technology with the low voltage Atom processor.

Intel Atom N270processor - Energy efficient
Portable - 8.9" screen size & less than 1KG
Storage - 8GB Flash Hard Drive
Linux Lite operating system - Easy to use
Extras - 0.3MP webcam & memory card reader

Learn to read what you wrote. You said they usually. In addition you can buy Aspire One's with Windows, or you can install Windows onto them. Plus in my reply I was talking about Notebooks in general.

I'm saying that it suited to business users. It wasn't created for games or movies. WOW on a 9 inch screen with a very low resolution will be awful, the mouse pad is too small. YOu would be much better getting a low cost laptop. I prefer Lenovo ThinkPads but they are business orientated laptops and are a lot of money. A Dell Inspiron is cheap and would give you a much better movie watching/gaming experience.

The 901's touchpad is the same size as a standard laptop (that's right. It's bigger than my 17" Aspire, in-fact). Point me to the page claiming that it wasn't created with the intention of gaming and movies? It was made to play movies. The 901 comes with InterVideo. As far as gaming goes, they didn't focus on making the perfect gaming system, no, but it does play games fairly well. I don't know what your obsession about how well it plays WoW is about, but it actually runs quite good. Just because you don't think so doesn't mean you can make an assumption that it wasn't designed for games at all. 1024x600 is the screen resolution of the 9" screens, and that's fine if you want to play games when you're out. It sure tops playing a 4" DS or PSP:rolleyes:. Seeing as the Netbooks are intended for portability, comparing them to full sized laptops is pointless;).

J0SH
30-10-2008, 01:47 AM
But if you had any common sense ever thought he's buying the one he posted? :rolleyes:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!