PDA

View Full Version : Boot problems

Decode
28-10-2008, 09:01 AM
A few months ago I made a partition for gOS, Yesterday I wanted to remove it, so I removed the partition where I had installed it and now when I start my computer it just says "GRUB Loading stage1.5. GRUB loading, please wait... Error 17."

I think the boot.ini file might have been on the gOS partition, but I'm not sure.

How would I go about getting onto Windows Vista again?

Thanks.

Recursion
28-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Pop the Vista disk in, select your languages and then click repeair computer and then repair startup.

Decode
28-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Pop the Vista disk in, select your languages and then click repeair computer and then repair startup.

My computer didn't come with a disk :( Well I don't think it did. Vista was pre installed on there.

Decode
28-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Can't edit :( There was a vista cd :P It just said Dell on though so I didn't notice it :P Thanks for your help.

I would rep you but i've gotta spread rep. :@

EDIT: It says windows couldn't find a problem :S

EDIT AGAIN: I think im just gonna install vista on a new partition then edit boot.ini from there.

Robbie
28-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Open the repair/recovery console from vista CD and type

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Decode
28-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Open the repair/recovery console from vista CD and type

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Thanks! It worked first time. So much easier than installing 2 vistas. I will +rep you.

Recursion
28-10-2008, 09:46 AM
You didn't need to install 2 vistas... You clcok repeair my computer and it detects theres a startup problem and fixes it in a second..

Decode
28-10-2008, 09:52 AM
You didn't need to install 2 vistas... You clcok repeair my computer and it detects theres a startup problem and fixes it in a second..
For some reason it said there was nothing preventing windows from starting on the fix windows option.

Johno
28-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I installed gOS and hated it, I much prefer ubuntu lol :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!