PDA

View Full Version : Ad-Aware and Hijack Attempts

Jules
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
I have a keylogger right now, (well actually I'm not sure if I'm still keylogged, I think I got rid of it) Well I went on Ad-aware and I got Hjack attempt! when I got rid of it thats when I thought that I was safe, until I used spybot to make sure all was okay, but I wasn't! I saw Hjack attempting again [it said other stuff too in both] So then I thought I was safe again, until I went onAd-aware, it said t again!!!! Can anyone Help?

Also I used smart scan on Ad-aware, whats the difference between smart scan and full scan?

Detox
02-07-2005, 04:25 PM
I have Ad-Aware and it did not clean a keylogger I had. I still have it but my McAfee Security Centre prevents it from getting to the recieving e-mail address.

Btw, does anyone know how to contact the people at Gmail. I dont want an account its just that the McAfee Security Centre showed the email address that the information is going to and it is a Gmail address.

Mentor
02-07-2005, 04:32 PM
smart scan, just checks directrys keyloggers and thing usealy hang out
full scan checks everywhere.

Some keyloggers are capable of recreating themselves so you usealy need to do a manula delate, then just use adaware or what ever to get rid of the registyry files.

adaware tells you where the file is, naviagte the documents till you find the file, and attempt to dealte it, if as is likly you cant, open up the task manger (ctrl alt del) and find the corsponding prosses, shut it down and qucikly dealte the file before it comes back. sometimes ther are 2 files both recreting each other so you would need 2 get both in one go.
Once doen, then run adaware or what ever.

if that fails, get the prossess / file name of the file thats shows up, and ad it in to google serch, wich then will find a load of forums, persifcly ment for dealing with adaware, and most likly will find a thread with someones with yoru exsact problem, and then an esplination on how to fix it via computer exsperts etc.

find_out
02-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Ad-Aware hence the name is for ADVERTS (ad) Not for cleaning keyloggers =l

Mentor
02-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Ad-aware, and spybot s&d, are ment to clean most forms of malware, adware or spyware, a keylogger falls in to the catagoy of spyware, so is included within adawares capabiltys

Jules
02-07-2005, 05:26 PM
kk so should i use smart scan?

Craig
02-07-2005, 06:06 PM
spyware is soo annoying not onli does it not show up on most of the virus checks but you get it from most sites aswel!! hav u done ne virus checks lately?

Mentor
02-07-2005, 06:25 PM
do smart scans regualy, athogh its adviseble to do a full scan every so often as well to pic up anything that may have escaped the smart scan, athogh it will usealy take alot longer if you have alot of stuff on ye pc

meta1gearsolid2
02-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I got something bulit into my computer called System Recovery. Its sort of a thing built in with my computer and it reformats the hard drive so it gets rid of all the nasty malicious spy ware i cant get rid off. Also it becomes much faster. So i got it maid! :D

?-Doc-?
03-07-2005, 01:57 AM
If you use mozilla for netscape i dont think you need
to use ad-aware do ya' ? Explorer is dangerous.

Because it hosts ad's. Ughhh.

Craig
03-07-2005, 11:11 AM
i was thinking of using mozilla,whats better bout it?

Am_I_Cool?
03-07-2005, 11:46 AM
i use ie but seems good enough for me??

Mentor
03-07-2005, 03:15 PM
i was thinking of using mozilla,whats better bout it?
Everything, The entire rendering engine is safer and it complys to w3 standard codeing.
It doiesnt download spyware threw active x like ie does, its cache is actaly sucrure so virus and things that get in dont immidly infect your entire pc, its not built in so cannot giv rout acess if it gets hijackecked, has popup blocks built in, faster loading time, better download manager, fully skinable via theams, can ad any fuctlty you want via exstnations and plugins :D

And thats firefox, Netscape 8 is much the same athogh even safer and capable of swiching between the ie and firefox rendeing engines to best display a page.

Craig
03-07-2005, 03:38 PM
thanks was needed =)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!