PDA

View Full Version : Honestly thinking of changing to Apple

[Chris]
01-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Ok well im so fed up of

*Epic computer slowdown*
"Congratuations, you have 9887 NEW virus' that your 874 anti-virus' cant remove! Windows will now BDOD, Good Bye."

i know about macs, like .EXEs not running on them, like BARELY any virus' - 90% of them not dangerous (Correct me if im at fault)

i would like to know a few things before even thinking about forking over £400 + for a macbook that might not even suit my needs

Ok here goes, it needs to be able to run these (Macbook please)

MSN / Hotmail IM
IRC
Picture editing stuff - PS, Fireworks
Macromedia stuff - Fireworks, Flash ect ect

And other general things..

Thanks
- Chris

Flisker
01-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Simple answer would be yes :P

[Chris]
01-11-2008, 03:07 AM
ADDING - Also - Can they connect to a standard network.. like the one i have now, with my xbox connected ect ect?

EDIT - So thats YES to EVERYTHING?

xxMATTGxx
01-11-2008, 08:02 AM
;5245465']ADDING - Also - Can they connect to a standard network.. like the one i have now, with my xbox connected ect ect?

EDIT - So thats YES to EVERYTHING?

Every Mac has built in Airport (Wireless to new users), You can basically connect to any wireless network. :)

Recursion
01-11-2008, 09:05 AM
;5245426']Ok well im so fed up of

*Epic computer slowdown*
"Congratuations, you have 9887 NEW virus' that your 874 anti-virus' cant remove! Windows will now BDOD, Good Bye."

i know about macs, like .EXEs not running on them, like BARELY any virus' - 90% of them not dangerous (Correct me if im at fault)

i would like to know a few things before even thinking about forking over £400 + for a macbook that might not even suit my needs

Ok here goes, it needs to be able to run these (Macbook please)

MSN / Hotmail IM
IRC
Picture editing stuff - PS, Fireworks
Macromedia stuff - Fireworks, Flash ect ect

And other general things..

Thanks
- Chris

Thats your fault for:
1) Not keeping your computer/antivirus up to date
2) Not using decent AV software
3) Your fault for going on dodgey websites. I've used Windows since I was born and I have NEVER had a virus.

MSN has a good client called Adium that can be customized far more than MSG Plus!

IRC has LOADS of clients available.

There are Mac version of all Adobe products.

Macromedia is now Adobe and so applies the above statement.

Have fun with your Mac :)

xxMATTGxx
01-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Bit of update on my post, This will help you also:
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=527744

If you have any questions, just ask. There is many Mac Users on here, like myself :)

Soy
01-11-2008, 11:05 AM
They cost so much that even if you pay £650 you will still be getting a rubbish spec.

But It's your decission so...
Good luck

Hayd93
01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
They cost so much that even if you pay £650 you will still be getting a rubbish spec.

But It's your decission so...
Good luck
Not really as unlike windows mac doent need that mutch to run.

Recursion
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
So why do they sell Mac Pros with 2 Quad cores?

Kyle!
01-11-2008, 12:05 PM
So why do they sell Mac Pros with 2 Quad cores?

The target audience for the Mac Pro's were video editors, web designers and programmers that needed that extra performance boost, correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't think he mentioned that did he?

[Chris]
01-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Thats your fault for:
1) Not keeping your computer/antivirus up to date
2) Not using decent AV software
3) Your fault for going on dodgey websites. I've used Windows since I was born and I have NEVER had a virus.

Well, i sort of do agree there :/ even though i use Avast! AVG free and do regular scans with AVG anti spyware and Spybot S&D.. and they are all updated.. and i dont really go on dodgey websites because my AVS warn me about them.. so i avoid the sites it doesnt recommend

i knew it was wireless, i just didnt know if my current network would be compatable

Recursion
01-11-2008, 01:07 PM
The target audience for the Mac Pro's were video editors, web designers and programmers that needed that extra performance boost, correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't think he mentioned that did he?

My point proven. So it matches up. Tbh, Windows uses a lot but the apps hardly use any resources, the other way round for Mac.

Well, i sort of do agree there :/ even though i use Avast! AVG free and do regular scans with AVG anti spyware and Spybot S&D.. and they are all updated.. and i dont really go on dodgey websites because my AVS warn me about them.. so i avoid the sites it doesnt recommend

i knew it was wireless, i just didnt know if my current network would be compatable

Thats why then :P Generally, if you had bought something like ESET Smart Security, NOD32 or ZoneAlarm, you would have been better off. Then run CCleaner every couple of months.

GommeInc
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
My PC is quadcore and I don't have any problems with programs using up alot of CPU power, and my friend who is doing Computer Science at University uses a laptop and computer which aren't exactly beefy computers... So not sure where programming comes from, but you don't need alot on Vista or XP to do programming. As for video editing, my college's film studies suite wasn't that amazing and video editing wasn't that bad on it. If they were Core 2 Duo they would of been fine :/

Plus I hear alot of stories of incredibly powerless computers using Vista and working quite well. Heck, you can run Vista Home Premium on 512MB and a crap CPU with hardly any problems.

Macs and PCs really aren't that different, and for the same price of the high-end Macs you could get a very powerful Vista PC, that is more powerful than a Mac :/

Johno
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Seriously, don't take this purchase lightly unless you have the money to burn. Its not a difficult jump to make between Windows and Mac but you do have to remember its only a computer.

I love my mac, not because it is a mac, but because it is a good machine for what I use it for. If you want one (like I did) then go for it, but tbh a normal laptop would have sufficed.

Most things run on mac now, and even if they don't (like SAM) you can run it on XP/Vista using Boot Camp/Parallels/Fusion.

Jaysun
01-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm glad I switched to Mac. You can do almost anything you can on widnows on a mac. You can get certain programs that will let you run windows apps on a mac.

HotelUser
02-11-2008, 02:51 AM
Not really as unlike windows mac doent need that mutch to run.
True, but if you're running Windows on a mac so you can play some random game, then you might want something more. But for me, a duo core iMac would be awesome...it's just, the iMac I want is $2,200. As much as I love computers, that's too much:(.

N!ck
02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Thats why then :P Generally, if you had bought something like ESET Smart Security, NOD32 or ZoneAlarm, you would have been better off. Then run CCleaner every couple of months.

I've been using the free version of avast! for over 2 years now and never had any problems.

Hayd93
02-11-2008, 07:54 PM
True, but if you're running Windows on a mac so you can play some random game, then you might want something more. But for me, a duo core iMac would be awesome...it's just, the iMac I want is $2,200. As much as I love computers, that's too much:(.
ye as a mac user i myself admit they are very pricey but once you get it and use it ect its worth every penny.

AgnesIO
02-11-2008, 08:02 PM
My point proven. So it matches up. Tbh, Windows uses a lot but the apps hardly use any resources, the other way round for Mac.

I use ccleaner daily LOL computer nice and fast.

AVG ftw!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!