PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, I need a bitta help

Sentrax
02-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Okay.. this is gonna drag on, but please read it and try and help me, I'd really appreciate it. =]
Okay, I'm 17 next month, I'm in my first year of sixth form and I hate it. I've taken English lit and Music tech, but since I chose them my whole outlook on life has changed. I can't stand sixth form, I'm in a Welsh school, and I'm shouted at for not speaking Welsh to my friends. I feel like I'm way too mature for it. So much crap that I'm not gonna list, but the main point is - I made a bad decision in going to sixth form instead of college. Okay, I got 2 A's, 4 B's, 4 C's and a D in my GCSE's. Better than I expected.
In the future, I don't wanna be stuck in a 9 to 5 lifestyle. I don't wanna get up, go to work, come home, pay the bills, and repeat. It doesn't appeal to me. Life is life. I only have one of them. One day it will be over and nothing I've ever done will matter. So I wanna make the most of it while I'm here. I don't want to spend the next 2 years in school, I don't want to spend the 4 years after that in University, and I dont wanna spend the rest of my life after that in a normal job.
Comfortable living doesn't bother me, obviously I don't wanna be a tramp, but I love the idea of getting a small van, packing a bag, taking my guitar, and just seeing the world. I want out of Wales, and I wanna cram as much into my life as I can. If anyone's thinking 'well youve gotta work like everyone else first, then you can live' then stop reading, you dont understand me. I want to live now. I don't want the next 6 years to be boring. If I'm not gonna enjoy what I'm told to do, then I'm not gonna do it. Homework for example. I don't do it because I have better things to do. Instead, I go out with my camera and take photos, and see friends.
I'm in big trouble at school at the moment, because of my lack of effort in anything, it's not laziness, it's not rebellion. I just dont like it. I have a reoccurring dream that a little boy comes up to me when I'm dying in a hospital bed and asks me: 'Ryan, what have you done in your life?'. And in the dream, I don't answer. Because Ive got nothing to say. I've had it with teachers and parents telling me what to do. I'm a creative, ambitious person and I wanna express that, and I wanna do it now.
So I was thinking of dropping out of sixth form, getting a day job and earning some money instead of school, then in September having a fresh start in college doing a media & arts course. So I want you lot to reply and see what you think of this plan. Where could it go wrong and how? Am I making the right decision? What precautions should I take?
Thanks guys
x

reeana
02-11-2008, 11:44 PM
I like the way you write :) and i think you should do it but i'm not sure about what the parents might say though.

Access
02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
lol can't believe i actually bothered reading that but you're in the same boat as me, apart from i dropped out of college because i was thinking the same - not sixth form

are you making the correct decision? i dunno about going to college instead of sixth form because i don't imagine it to be much different, college seems good when you're told about it and think about what it would be like but its a different story once you're actually going in almost every day going over the same **** week in week out

its obviously up to you what you do but good luck with whatever you choose and i hope it works out for you

Immenseman
02-11-2008, 11:58 PM
I think you'll find that there are so many people who want the same as you, maybe not as much but school and college isn't built to entertain, it has a fundamental function to educate. It's clear to me you're not a stupid person and your GCSE grades reflect this, you have got yourself a good set there. I understand you don't wish to continue college and I think you should drop it and get a job for this year and go back like you said. Your education betters your standard of living considerably. Statistically the majority of people who go to college and get a levels earn more than people who dropped out at GCSE. The people who go to university earn more than people who dropped out at A levels etc.

Of course, that is only an economic view and I think that maybe school isn't for you. You're evidently intelligent enough to enrole and do well but you have other aspirations which you really need to consider because a wrong step here would control the rest of your life.

I say drop college get working this year start again next September make new friends put some effort into your course and see what happens. Then maybe you might even get a job doing the kind of thing you enjoy, in photograhpy or in some form of media where you won't be stuck in an office job.

Sentrax
02-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Yeah
I wanna grab a guitar, bag, train ticket, write some tunes... and off I go
That's what the real me inside is
I want someone else's sofa to be my bedroom, someone different every week. I wanna take my breakfast on the train... stuff like that is what makes my heart go.
How's things working out for you now Access?

J0SH
03-11-2008, 12:02 AM
If you're in sixth form and hate it you should just go college, it's far better and you're 17 next month so you don't need to legally go school, if you want the extra grades and stuff go for it, if not I'd do something you would enjoy like getting a job based around something you like.

dirrty
03-11-2008, 12:02 AM
having alevels and going university makes getting a job so much easier than only having gcse qualifications. sure there are people who make it with the latter, but they're rare.

Access
03-11-2008, 12:03 AM
not really doing much atm just go to the gym most days, waiting about for a reply from the navy which i was looking to do in the first place so everythings fine atm

Foals
03-11-2008, 12:04 AM
i'm the same really, i really regret dropping out of school and going straight into work and i've decided to work until september then go to college. personally i think you'd be making the right decision dropping sixth form and going to college next year if you hate it, why waste 2 years doing something you hate? and if you're not doing the homework or whatever you're not going to achieve anything through it are you... so i think you should drop out then start doing something you enjoy next year, personally. & don't decide against anything because of your parents, because it's not their life.
sorry if that didn't make any sense lol.

& your post actually made me think about my own life and stuff so cheers, lol.

Foals
03-11-2008, 12:04 AM
double post soz

DJ-Ains.T
03-11-2008, 12:05 AM
But what about the fees for things? It's all got to be paid for somehow... ;/
maybe if you work for a little in a job that suits your taste then go on and travel, that might be better, but you don't want that? :S

Sentrax
03-11-2008, 12:17 AM
But what about the fees for things? It's all got to be paid for somehow... ;/
maybe if you work for a little in a job that suits your taste then go on and travel, that might be better, but you don't want that? :S

I plan to work my arse off until September and earn some money, then the adventure really begins. And by the way everyone, thanks for replying and stuff, it's really helping and inspiring me.
If anyone feels like a chat or whatever anytime, msn me.
[email protected]

LoveToStack
03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
School is totally different from College and uni. go to either and you'll see what I mean.

Rozi
03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I think you should do what you decide is right.

It sounds like your an ambitious person, know what you like and what you don't like. but living like that can go two main ways, you love it and have a great time untill you get bored, get increadibly homsick, regret all the choices you made and can't go back.

Personally, i think, as long as you are a likeable, confident, charming person you shouldn't have a problem around wales. But coming to major citys, unless you know people there, wont be a good idea.

Do take a stop from college if ur parents let you but only make up your mind when you have enough money.

Ramones
04-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty confused, and i'm pretty sure you've contradicted yourself about 4 times in that.
It sounds like you're telling everyone you want to be anti-establishment and run away and be free and all that rubbish, then you say you want to get a day job? a boring 9-5 day job? Which you said you don't want to do also.
If you do decide to do this you'll most likely find your day job is even more boring and requires more effort than sixth form, and you get to see your friends even less, and there's not even that many good jobs going around at the minute either.
And i got even more confused when you said you want to go to college next year instead. You're only gonna find that if you go to college it's gonna require **** loads of effort aswell, and you'll hate that subject because it requires so much effort, all students are the same.
You don't want to spend your next 2 years of your life in school and then 4 years in university. And then get a boring job? Instead you want to spend the next half a year/year in a boring job, and then go to college for 2 years, and then what... be free? isn't that abit of a waste of time?

I think i'm being abit harsh, but i do think you're very confused. And have idealistic views on alot of things that aren't going to be what they seem. For example if you decide to be free and live in a caravan or whatever, the novelty will wear off after a short period of time. And college isn't going to be amazing even if you are doing subjects you think you like.

My advice to you is to stick at what you're doing at the moment, and have a propper think about what's really going to happen. If you're really don't like 6th form and your subjects that much, by all means drop out and get a job until next year and then start at college, that's great. But if you are going to do that, which i think you probably should. Don't go on about the idea of being free and all that, cause you just sound like a hypocrite, if you're gonna have that only live once attitude then go do it now and don't go to college.

I think what you should do, is think of a job that you'll really enjoy, something you wont get bored of and wont even mind working 9-5 cause it's something you love. Then base what your going to do around that i.e what college subjects you want to do, if you need grades for uni etc etc etc.

I really think you should watch this film though too, you'll relate to it quite abit http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

i'm done :eusa_danc

coley
11-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Join the army like i did its not a 9 -5 job and pays great and plus you dont pay many bills ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!