PDA

View Full Version : Discuss anything and spam forum

Wootzeh
06-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Can someone please explain the difference to me?
Discuss anything is a place for posts that don't have any other forum, yet so is the spam forum. Just wondering because I got banned for spamming the spam forum with pointless threads :(

GommeInc
06-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally, the Discuss Anything forum had a mixture of posts from fashion, pets to food and holidays. Now that they have their own forums it has very little use, other than a more meaningful spam forum.

pasta1
06-11-2008, 06:39 PM
1 difference: discuss anything has post counts, spam doesn't

jackass
06-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Discuss anything is used for threads which don't fit other categories, but still have a use of discussion in them, unlike spam which is just anything.

Wootzeh
06-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Discuss anything is used for threads which don't fit other categories, but still have a use of discussion in them, unlike spam which is just anything.
So why did I get banned for 4days for spamming pointless threads? =]

Slowpoke
06-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Ban reasons are not discussed on the forum so obviously, I cannot go into detail although I'd like to refer you to this thread:

By spam we mean pointless posts and topics, for example threads which have no meaning, i.e. links to youtube videos, lyrics to the song you are listening to or something along those lines, not a load of threads called 'af;aior;puifasdfdf' and 20 posts in a row with 'dfdfkerujiasdfhnasdf' ;). It is also not allowed to create loads of threads in a row, causing threads on ''New Posts'' which have a decent use to it to go to page 2.

http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=138756

Minstrels
06-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I tend to post their when I'm looking for a serious answer, not a image of a random face.

DrLacero
06-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Discuss Anything = Spam

Some threads, none of which are closed at time of posting, guess which is from which forum:

"think of something quick i can have for dinner"
"Test..."
"OMG!"
All threads in discuss anything in the last 2 weeks

FlyingJesus
06-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Technically threads in discuss anything shouldn't go massively off topic whereas in spam anyone is free to "take over" a thread with nonsense if they really so wish. Although with the wonderful off topic rule stating that as long as it logically follows from a previous post it's ok, that goes out the window pretty much :P

Wootzeh
06-11-2008, 07:13 PM
why is it worth a 4day ban and not a caution?

Slowpoke
06-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Why are you making this thread about your ban when it's supposed to be about the "Discuss Anything" and "Spam" forums? You know the bans aren't discussed on the forum - You'll need to use the support system.

Yoshimitsui
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
why is it worth a 4day ban and not a caution?

It is either down to how many infractions you currently had, with the ammount you gain effecting how long your automatic bans are. Or it was the discretion of the person who issued the ban due to certain circumstances that are not going to be discussed on the forum.

Slowpoke
06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
1 difference: discuss anything has post counts, spam doesn't

There are loads of differences -

Discuss Anything has post counts
Threads don't need to have any real meaning
The pointless posting rule does not apply in spam
The off-topic posting rule does not apply in spam
The multiple posting rules does not apply in spam

I'm sure there are more but they're off the top of my head.

MissAlice
06-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Discuss Anything
Discuss anything not covered by other forums.

Spam
Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages
Basically anything that's deemed of little or no interest!

I agree with DrLacero there are some threads that should be in spam and not in Discuss Anything ;)

pasta1
06-11-2008, 08:17 PM

He said difference, not differences :'(

camera
07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
tbh, stuff in spam are wayyyyyyyyyyy more interesting than the stuff in Discuss Anything.
I bet people felt sad about Discuss Anything that they just come up with random topics so theres SOMETHING to read in Discuss Anything.

loserfaces xo

Earthquake
07-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Lololol I got banned for a day and you got 4 hahaha!!

Anyway, yeah I understand what your trying to say, but the disscuss anything you can have a disscussion, but in the spam forum its all mixed

nvrspk4
08-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Discuss Anything is meant to be constructive. Of course the line is blurry for some I suppose but for most the dividing line is pretty clear, and if not that's what the moderators are for!

Ostinato
08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Quite clearly this thread is nothing to do with the actual differences between the forums, but more a place for you to express your anger of your ban and try and make a wee point to get it changed. Clearly, as you are fully aware, if you have a problem with a ban or caution then you know the channels to go through to complain.

Anyway, to answer your question. If you actually take a look and compare both forums you will see spam contains posts that aren't very constructive and don't really ave any consistent line of thought. For example people post threads such as "I am going to bed". These aren't suitable for Discuss Anything, as although it may be technically 'discussing anything' they are pretty pointless and irrellevant posts.

In comparison, Discuss Anything holds threads such as "What do you want for Christmas?" etc.

There is a clear difference, as these threads are constructive and encourage discussive posts between members, whilst in spam the posts are often pointless and irrelevant.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!