PDA

View Full Version : Internet/Laptop Help +Rep

Cwmbran
06-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Okay in my house we are running off of a Wireless Internet connection which is password protected, this was just intended for my use.

Now my dad has been given a company laptop and he is using my internet connection (Yes I do pay for it).

Well I was wondering is there anyway I could block his laptop from picking up the internet as he is on it practically 24/7 and making the Internet on my laptop run incredibly slow. (It takes about 10minutes to buffer a 3minute youtube video, download speeds are incredibly slow) I have no idea what he is doing on his laptop, and tbh I do not want to know.

So yeh anyway I could block his laptop connecting to my connection? And he does know the password for the internet as it's on the side of the router.

+Rep for help.

Jordy
06-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Okay there's a range of things to do, you could block his laptop if possible but it is far easier to change the password to get in and then only you'll know it. You can alternatively just tell him to stop :P

Go to http://whatismyip.com/

Then copy and paste your IP Address into your browser, for example if it said (83.54.73.16), just put it in your address bar. Hopefully it should show some sort of router management page, login with default details and then you should be able to do it in there.

Cwmbran
06-11-2008, 07:43 PM
It's more of a network key than a password, which if im correct you can not change?

Oh and he wont stop using it, I've put up with it for over a month and right now I've had enough, as I'm trying to do some work for college and the pages are taking about 5minutes to load.

I've given out too much rep atm I'll rep you asap.

scottish
06-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Router IP's tend to me 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or something along those lines (do ip config then the default gateway)

On mine it allows me to set limits to what computers can do i.e. If they can access the internet, when they can and i can cut them off the net etc..

or change the network key.

Cwmbran
06-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Router IP's tend to me 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or something along those lines (do ip config then the default gateway)

On mine it allows me to set limits to what computers can do i.e. If they can access the internet, when they can and i can cut them off the net etc..

or change the network key.
How would I go about changing my network key, would I have to contact my ISP or can it be done manually?

Recursion
06-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Login to the router as said above and goto the security page to change it.

Cwmbran
06-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks i'll +rep you 3 when I'm able too.

Stephen!
06-11-2008, 10:24 PM
You can use mac address filtering

Recursion
06-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Actually good point, login to your router, view the connected MAC Addresses and then find out which is your dads by looking at your laptop and comparing then just block/restrict it.

Jordy
07-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Actually good point, login to your router, view the connected MAC Addresses and then find out which is your dads by looking at your laptop and comparing then just block/restrict it.Or look at the DHCP List.

Blob
07-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Change the key?

Or install a thing called Class Room Spy Pro Agent on his computer then install the main app on your computer then you can see and record what he is doing, shut down his computer, log him off, start stuff and block internet etc etc

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!