PDA

View Full Version : WPA Cracked

Jordy
07-11-2008, 07:53 AM
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/11/06/download-squad-psa-wpa-encryption-successfully-cracked/

About time to but WPA has been cracked in under 15 minutes with a non-dictionary attack so that's WPA out the window (Along with WEP), now we're only left with WPA2 :(

I seriously don't understand how anyone is meant to keep up with the latest wi-fi security, there's still loads of wi-fi devices which don't support WPA and I doubt much supports WPA2, and I also doubt many people have WPA2 Routers anyway.

Decode
07-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Good find :) My router is only about 4 months old and it has WPA1 :( I doubt there is anyone living near me who will even know about this anyway :P.

GommeInc
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I have neither :P My neighbours are way over 100 metres away and you'll have to be pretty desperate to walk up my drive to use the internet...

Still, this is pretty bad for built-up areas, something will probably appear soon tackling these issues.

DaveTaylor
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
cour, they are only reporting this now? it's a good month old

Patt
07-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Mac Filtering.
Filtres your mac address so only certain addresses can connect.
:)
WEP, WPA WPA1/2
All outdated,

Tomm
07-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Using WPA2-AES with RADIUS authentication here, so I am fine ^^

N!ck
07-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Mac Filtering.
Filtres your mac address so only certain addresses can connect.
:)
WEP, WPA WPA1/2
All outdated,

Lol, mac address filtering only offers a minor hindrance to anyone than knows slightly what they're doing.

Stephen!
07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Now let's back up a little. The early coverage of this crack indicated that TKIP keys were broken. They are not. "We only have a single keystream; we do not recover the keys used for encryption in generating the keystream," Tews said.

To describe the attack succinctly, it's a method of decrypting and arbitrarily and successfully re-encrypting and re-injecting short packets on networks that have devices using TKIP. That's a very critical distinction; this is a serious attack, and the first real flaw in TKIP that's been found and exploited. But it's still a subset of a true key crack.

Tews pointed out that "if you used security features just for preventing other people from using your bandwidth, you are perfectly safe," which is the case for most home users. Someone can't use this attack to break into a home or corporate network, nor decipher all the data that passes.

If a network uses AES, it's immune to this attack, and many corporate and high-security networks settled on AES when it became feasible a couple of years ago in order to avoid any lingering problems with TKIP that might eventually rear their heads.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/wpa-cracked.ars/1

Recursion
08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Tbh, we just make it so our wireless connection's range is low, just enough to cover the house, not enough to reach over to next door and out onto the road.

Jibbish
08-11-2008, 09:11 AM
my router has wpa2
some linksys one

Sunny.
16-11-2008, 12:23 AM
my belkin has WPA1 and mac address filtering.

mb-group.net
16-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Its best to use Firewalls on all your computers and also have an anti virus as well.

Be careful on the internet, few people will go and hack a wifi connection without getting noticed, but its best to be safe whilst on the t'internet.

Shawnstra
16-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm using WPA2 with AES Encryption with a ridiculously long password. Hope that helps :D I used to use WEP until I found out it sucks (my dad set it up) and then I switched to WPA. When I saw that WPA was cracked on gizmodo I immediately changed to WPA2. My neighbourhood is quite safe though so I don't think it will really affect me.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!