PDA

View Full Version : Questions about selling designs

Black_Apalachi
09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey, I'm new to this whole section of the forum really lol. I just made my first design yesterday (can be seen from my sig) and I've already recieved interest from a potential buyer.

However, I don't have a clue how much to ask for. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you decide a price. I assume its based on the amount of time it took to complete, so can anybody give me some guidelines please? Oh and how much extra can you get for also coding the layout?

Also, I'd like to make sure I'm doing things right:
1) Once sold, the layout belongs to the buyer therefore I can't use it myself, right?
2) I have no control over how they edit it or whatever they do with it do I? (Not that I'd want to, I'm just asking ;)).
3) I assume nothing is going to stop them selling it on to someone else (at a profit)?
4) When actually selling a layout, do they just pay into your PayPal and then you give them an image of the layout? Are WIPs expected (perhaps if you had a blank version with no text etc, they'd prefer that)?

Sorry for all the amateur questions, but all guidence will be appreciated and rewarded :).

Closed by Meti (Forum Moderator): Thread closed due to arguments.

lSnowie
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey, I'm new to this whole section of the forum really lol. I just made my first design yesterday (can be seen from my sig) and I've already recieved interest from a potential buyer.

However, I don't have a clue how much to ask for. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you decide a price. I assume its based on the amount of time it took to complete, so can anybody give me some guidelines please? Oh and how much extra can you get for also coding the layout?

Also, I'd like to make sure I'm doing things right:
1) Once sold, the layout belongs to the buyer therefore I can't use it myself, right?
2) I have no control over how they edit it or whatever they do with it do I? (Not that I'd want to, I'm just asking ;)).
3) I assume nothing is going to stop them selling it on to someone else (at a profit)?
4) When actually selling a layout, do they just pay into your PayPal and then you give them an image of the layout? Are WIPs expected (perhaps if you had a blank version with no text etc, they'd prefer that)?

Sorry for all the amateur questions, but all guidence will be appreciated and rewarded :).

1) Yes once sold it belongs to them and not you.
2) It's up to them if they want to edit it to suit their needs.
3) They can sell it if they want, because once you sell it to them it's theirs.
4) Yes, they send in to your PayPal, and if its uncoded you send them the unwatermarked version if it's coded you send them a download link, if it's an image alot of people will want no text versions yes.

Black_Apalachi
09-11-2008, 04:21 PM
4) Yes, they send in to your PayPal, and if its uncoded you send them the unwatermarked version if it's coded you send them a download link, if it's an image alot of people will want no text versions yes.

Cool thanks, +rep :).

lSnowie
09-11-2008, 04:22 PM
.Cool thanks, +rep :).

No you could not use it yourself, only the buyer can.

Black_Apalachi
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
No you could not use it yourself, only the buyer can.

Yeah. Do you have any idea about prices?

lSnowie
09-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah. Do you have any idea about prices?

It depends wether they actually like your designs, you could spend 5 hours on it, and only sell it for £5,

Invent charges like £30, but that's because his are amazing e.g www.habbcrazy.net is way worth £30, like Jibbish's designs his are nice but he sells them for half the price £15, (that is coded aswell) you will get less uncoded, if I were you i'd show it to people first (watermarked) if it's liked alot sell it for like £10 - £20 (depends on niceness and if coded) if it gets bad responce you may not sell it at all.

--ss--
09-11-2008, 04:33 PM
You're wrong (not a surprise there)

Before selling the layout you have to come to an agreement with the buyer and disscuss these matters. You can either sell the layout and give the buyer full rights to it (so they have full control), sell it and keep it for yourself for your porfollio/personal use or sell several copies of the same layout. This will all have to be discusses prior to them paying you, if you sell full right to them it's theirs now and they can do what ever they like, it's no longer yours.
For the buyer to be able to sell the layout off to someone else you will have to give them resell rights, otherwise if you don't want it to be sold more than once and be kept limited to the buyer you will have to tell him that.

As for paying, you accept payment first and then you send them the layout un watermarked. Most people would ask for it to be a .psd , this is so it's eaiser for them to edit and customize (eg change banners, backgrounds and so on).

lSnowie
09-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Before selling the layout you have to come to an agreement with the buyer and disscuss these matters. You can either sell the layout and give the buyer full rights to it (so they have full control), sell it and keep it for yourself for your porfollio/personal use or sell several copies of the same layout. This will all have to be discusses prior to them paying you, if you sell full right to them it's theirs now and they can do what ever they like, it's no longer yours.
For the buyer to be able to sell the layout off to someone else you will have to give them resell rights, otherwise if you don't want it to be sold more than once and be kept limited to the buyer you will have to tell him that.

As for paying, you accept payment first and then you send them the layout un watermarked. Most people would ask for it to be a .psd , this is so it's eaiser for them to edit and customize (eg change banners, backgrounds and so on).

About paying, I allready said, then send it to your paypal then you send them the unwatermarked, so you basically just repeated me.

--ss--
09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
About paying, I allready said, then send it to your paypal then you send them the unwatermarked, so you basically just repeated me.
But you're wrong and uneducated, your posts don't deserve to be read.

It seems you have been on the forum for longer periods of time than I have been again today :rolleyes:.

lSnowie
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
But you're wrong and uneducated, your posts don't deserve to be read.

It seems you have been on the forum for longer periods of time than I have been again today :rolleyes:.

Funny, I haven't been on much today, I just check it every now and then, then again how would you know unless you've been on to check on me?

Edited by Meti (Forum Moderator): Please don't post to cause arguments

--ss--
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Funny, I haven't been on much today, I just check it every now and then, then again how would you know unless you've been on to check on me?
"View all posts", I see your brain hasn't developed enough to think logically.
If you would like to argue with me then please send me a pm.

lSnowie
09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
"View all posts", I see your brain hasn't developed enough to think logically.
If you would like to argue with me then please send me a pm.

So your basically checking up on me? I don't want an argument because I would preffer to do other things than argue with you, anyway i'm coming off for a bit, let's see how long it takes you to check up on that!

L?KE
09-11-2008, 04:58 PM
So your basically checking up on me? I don't want an argument because I would preffer to do other things than argue with you, anyway i'm coming off for a bit, let's see how long it takes you to check up on that!

= backing down.

lSnowie
09-11-2008, 05:00 PM
= backing down.

No it means I don't constantly sit on HxF all the time wanting to argue on an online HABBO forum, because I actually have better things to do. Quote me if you wish but i'm going offline for abit so you wont receive a response for a while.

L?KE
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not looking for a conversation with you, ty.

And foolish was the wrong word, useless*

Black_Apalachi
09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow a page worth of argument.

It depends wether they actually like your designs, you could spend 5 hours on it, and only sell it for £5,

Invent charges like £30, but that's because his are amazing e.g www.habbcrazy.net (http://www.habbcrazy.net) is way worth £30, like Jibbish's designs his are nice but he sells them for half the price £15, (that is coded aswell) you will get less uncoded, if I were you i'd show it to people first (watermarked) if it's liked alot sell it for like £10 - £20 (depends on niceness and if coded) if it gets bad responce you may not sell it at all.

So basically, I have my layout. It's uncoded. I already posted it un-watermarked (and even suggested that people could use it for free) but I still was offered purchase of it.

So would I be a bit arrogant to ask for more than a fiver seeing as it's my first one and all?

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Ok, but I don't get how these things are actually controlled. For example, if we agree that they can't re-sell it, but they do, what can I do about it? :S

+rep for your info as well :).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!