PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks? +rep

Viruz
12-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Ok well I'm about to buy a Laptop in the next month. But a friend told me about Netbooks what are they and what do they do? oo and should i get Laptop or Netbook?

Joe!
12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Netbooks are much smaller than a standard laptop, google Asus EEE for an example. I have an Advent 4211 which is a netbook, it's handy for the portability, but I do only use it at college or the bus.

size comparison:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/Edge767/burner/eeepc3.jpg

Jordy
12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Netbooks are smaller laptops in nearly every way. Smaller keyboard, smaller screen etc. They're designed to be portable, small and cheap!

The majority of Netbooks use the Intel Atom processor and most run a customized version of Linux, but some come with Windows XP Pre-installed. Windows Vista wouldn't run very well at all on a Netbook.

Most of them also use 'SSD's for a hard-drive, if you drop a normal laptop it's likely the hard-disk drive will break and you'll lose all your data, with an SSD if you drop it, it'll be fine but they're a lot more expensive, faster and have smaller space. They're usually about 4GB to 16GB which is rather pathetic to be fair. If you're clumsy they're a must have.

The Asus EEE was the traditional Netbook and the 1st/2nd most popular and there's a variety of versions but the newer one's are obviously meant to be better. The Acer Aspire One is also a popular one but this often comes with a normal laptop HDD allows you to go up to 120GB and run XP with ease.

British
12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
http://www.psionwelt.de/systeme/netbook.jpg
you type.

Viruz
12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Netbooks are much smaller than a standard laptop, google Asus EEE for an example. I have an Advent 4211 which is a netbook, it's handy for the portability, but I do only use it at college or the bus.
So i can use it for the Net and can i use word and Msn ect?

Jordy
12-11-2008, 08:52 PM
So i can use it for the Net and can i use word and Msn ect?Yes hence the word Netbook, their main use is browsing the web with Firefox usually, most the Linux distro's include an application such as Pidgin to use MSN etc. They also have a free application called Open Office built in to make and read Word documents.

Most this software can also be used on Windows and is nearly always free and open-source.

Joe!
12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
My netbook came with windows xp on it. It will run any program that is available for XP.

HotelUser
12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Netbooks are smaller laptops in nearly every way. Smaller keyboard, smaller screen etc. They're designed to be portable, small and cheap!

The majority of Netbooks use the Intel Atom processor and most run a customized version of Linux, but some come with Windows XP Pre-installed. Windows Vista wouldn't run very well at all on a Netbook.

Most of them also use 'SSD's for a hard-drive, if you drop a normal laptop it's likely the hard-disk drive will break and you'll lose all your data, with an SSD if you drop it, it'll be fine but they're a lot more expensive, faster and have smaller space. They're usually about 4GB to 16GB which is rather pathetic to be fair. If you're clumsy they're a must have.

The Asus EEE was the traditional Netbook and the 1st/2nd most popular and there's a variety of versions but the newer one's are obviously meant to be better. The Acer Aspire One is also a popular one but this often comes with a normal laptop HDD allows you to go up to 120GB and run XP with ease.

Most don't run Linux. The majority run XP. The EEE 901 is my choice, big screen, XP, Intel Atom, it's great.

Viruz
12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes hence the word Netbook, their main use is browsing the web with Firefox usually, most the Linux distro's include an application such as Pidgin to use MSN etc. They also have a free application called Open Office built in to make and read Word documents.

Most this software can also be used on Windows and is nearly always free and open-source.
Ok so i would only use a laptop to check email write word documents and use the net and facebook would it be worth just getting a netbook?

Jordy
12-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Ok so i would only use a laptop to check email write word documents and use the net and facebook would it be worth just getting a netbook?Yeah most definitely, it probably wouldn't matter if you used Windows XP or Linux. Linux is cheaper (It's free :P) but with Windows XP you can keep what you're used to, but both will suit your needs really.

Viruz
12-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah most definitely, it probably wouldn't matter if you used Windows XP or Linux. Linux is cheaper (It's free :P) but with Windows XP you can keep what you're used to, but both will suit your needs really.
Thats great thanks, What are the best ones to go for?

Jordy
12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Thats great thanks, What are the best ones to go for?Asus EEE PC (Not sure on the model but HotelUser is an expert on them), Acer Aspire One or Samsung NC10 but there is quite a range.

The Professor
12-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Shop around and check out cnet to get an idea of pricing and quality, I think they recommended the dell inspiron, I'll get the cnettv video that they made which explains about them and goes over some of the options :)

http://cnettv.cnet.com/9742-1_53-50003413.html

Check that out.

HotelUser
12-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Thats great thanks, What are the best ones to go for?
If you're going for the cheapest with the most features then I suggest you check out the Aspire One, or Asus EEE 900A (witch according to Engadget is on sale depending on where you live). If it was me I would get the 900A because it's smaller, and I haven't had good experiences with Acer. Otherwise if you want to fork over the extra cash, the EEE 901 is the way to go, with wireless N, bluetooth, more RAM and a 6-cell battery (you can easily get 4+ hours of use with this).

Yeah most definitely, it probably wouldn't matter if you used Windows XP or Linux. Linux is cheaper (It's free :P) but with Windows XP you can keep what you're used to, but both will suit your needs really.

Gaming is limited to the screen size, however you can still play games fairly well. Watching movies is pretty good on my EEE 901 Netbook too. No lag at all.

Technologic
12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
eee 901 = mint. i use mine all the time

Viruz
12-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Does the ASUS EEEPC1000H have a CD drive?

scottish
12-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Not as far as im aware.

HotelUser
12-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Not as far as im aware.

Nope, none of the EEEs have CD drives (they're too small to accommodate them :P). Most users just make images of disks and store them on an external Hard drive, or just purchase an external CD/DVD drive.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!