PDA

View Full Version : Angry.. or..?

Hypertext
13-11-2008, 05:15 AM
OK, I don't know where to throw this thread, so as it's related to technology, I'm putting it in here.

So, I have this job, and currently I'm doing some freelance database design for a very big relational system... anyway, that's irrelevant.

The problem is, I've been working for two weeks, and I've done all he's asked etc, so I send him an invoice, and then he sends me back an email, which didn't whatsoever mention the invoice or paying me, but we should keep to a small amount of billable hours, which one, sounds very cheap, and two, sounds like he doesn't like it. Anyway, he's waiting for a reply from the project manager as to whether he is happy with my work (which I think he is), so we'll find out soon enough. Now this wouldn't normally bother me, except for the fact that I didn't sign a contract or an NDA yet. So, if the **** hits the fan, and he decides to be a total douche and bail, I release his work, (which cost him a few, trust me), otherwise he better pay me, of course I won't mention this.

Anyway, so we're meeting this weekend with the project manager to make sure everyone knows what we're doing etc, which annoys me, as he doesn't consider this "billable" hours, regardless of the fact that I've bailed lunch for his meetings for the last three weeks in a row, which kind of annoys me.

So. What do you think I should do?

Blinger1
13-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Mention is to him, or just 'increase' the time that you worked ;)

Hypertext
13-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Mention is to him, or just 'increase' the time that you worked ;)

Eh. I'm going to mention it at the meeting, but it's going to seem very awkward. FYI: I've already ran him 51 @ 30/hr. He won't be happy if it's "raised".

Blinger1
13-11-2008, 05:28 AM
nonono, i mean, instead of working only 51 hours, increase it to 52 or something :S

Hypertext
13-11-2008, 06:27 AM
nonono, i mean, instead of working only 51 hours, increase it to 52 or something :S

I know what you meant.

xxMATTGxx
13-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Sounds like you got a problem on your hands, wait until what they say at he meeting. And if your concerned about not getting paid etc, talk to the line manager?

Hypertext
13-11-2008, 06:44 AM
There isn't a line manager, it's just a small team. He has a wife and kids apparently, he probably won't **** me over. We'll see.

xxMATTGxx
13-11-2008, 06:49 AM
There isn't a line manager, it's just a small team. He has a wife and kids apparently, he probably won't **** me over. We'll see.

Then do you what you said, doesn't pay or you don't like what you get. Release the work to the whole wide web ;]

Recursion
13-11-2008, 07:44 AM
If you release his work then people aren't exactly going to trust you in the future, think about what youre doing and how it could affect you.

scottish
13-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Release work? as in privately owned stuff that the business your designing a DB for owns, in which case you'd be breaking the law? :S

or what kinda work..

xxMATTGxx
13-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Release work? as in privately owned stuff that the business your designing a DB for owns, in which case you'd be breaking the law? :S

or what kinda work..

Depends on the law in his country/state :P Oh and let me know what happens! :P

Recursion
13-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Im pretty sure its against the law in the US and UK :P

xxMATTGxx
13-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Im pretty sure its against the law in the US and UK :P

Probably is but US has got its own laws in certain states :P

scottish
13-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Giving out peoples personal/confidential business info will no doubt be illegal in every state.

Recursion
13-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Tbh, just seeing him post that would put me off going to his company.

xxMATTGxx
13-11-2008, 05:13 PM

Now now, don't start. He has a point in a way but if he wants to be professional about it. Then well, yeah :P

Kyle!
13-11-2008, 05:23 PM

lol, you have something against Hypertext.

Recursion
13-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Well, I wouldn't want my work releasing if I had trusted it with him, but yeh I do :eusa_whis

Coldplay
13-11-2008, 05:38 PM
If he doesn't pay you, take him to court.

If there's been a gentlemens agreement, and you've done work for him, he owes you the money.

Maybe you should ring the Citizens Advice Beareau?

Recursion
13-11-2008, 05:44 PM
He didnt sign a contract or anything, wheres the proof?

Coldplay
13-11-2008, 05:53 PM
He didnt sign a contract or anything, wheres the proof?

The fact he has all the business details, and has an intensive piece of work which he was asked for, added to the fact you can't lie in court. :)

Recursion
13-11-2008, 06:04 PM
I could create a huge peice of work, grab some business details for say, Play.com and then say they hired me out. They can't tell if your lieing. He wouldn't have a case.

Hypertext
13-11-2008, 10:31 PM
*****, be nice. =]

We'll see. Meeting this saturday. I'll update you guys when something happens.

Flisker
14-11-2008, 11:46 PM
You should use oDesk.com. It's a great site for freelancing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!