PDA

View Full Version : The "RV on your site" Feature

Black_Apalachi
15-11-2008, 06:11 AM
I was just looking at the "Rare Values on your site" tool and would just like to say how much of an amazing idea I think this is and I'd love to use it.

However, after adding it to a page of my site to see what it would be like, I realise how ugly it is :(.

Then again, I realise that as it's a link to an outside source it obviously can't be edited by the individual user. Nevertheless it could simply be presented in a common fansite font and size (e.g. Verdana 8pt).

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to offer users the chance to pay a small fee for an iframe with just the actual values and updates in and no Habbox advertisment (or at least not the great big banner at the top! :P)

...Of course, this is as long as it doesn't violate the 'can't-sell-VIP-cos-Sulake-want-us-to-spend-money-on-credits-instead' rule as a "premium service". Then again, perhaps this could simply be one of many things that could be purchased from Habbox as a one-off with "free" VIP included ;).

Yonder
15-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I dont think management will allow you to remove the banner try and php include instead.

Shawnstra
15-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I was just looking at the "Rare Values on your site" tool and would just like to say how much of an amazing idea I think this is and I'd love to use it.

However, after adding it to a page of my site to see what it would be like, I realise how ugly it is :(.

Then again, I realise that as it's a link to an outside source it obviously can't be edited by the individual user. Nevertheless it could simply be presented in a common fansite font and size (e.g. Verdana 8pt).

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to offer users the chance to pay a small fee for an iframe with just the actual values and updates in and no Habbox advertisment (or at least not the great big banner at the top! :P)

...Of course, this is as long as it doesn't violate the 'can't-sell-VIP-cos-Sulake-want-us-to-spend-money-on-credits-instead' rule as a "premium service". Then again, perhaps this could simply be one of many things that could be purchased from Habbox as a one-off with "free" VIP included ;).

Yeah I also agree with the Verdana 8pt, Times New Roman looks bad. :(

Yonder
15-11-2008, 02:25 PM
The font family is actually Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif. Seems to work and takes form of your current css.

<?

echo implode(file("http://www.habbox.com/scripts/rares_public/sharingall.php"));

?>

Black_Apalachi
16-11-2008, 01:04 AM
The font family is actually Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif. Seems to work and takes form of your current css.

<?

echo implode(file("http://www.habbox.com/scripts/rares_public/sharingall.php"));

?>

What does that little code there do?

Mr.OSH
16-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Yeah I also agree with the Verdana 8pt, Times New Roman looks bad. :(

If we can improve how this looks visually we are happy to do so - I'll look into improving the font. Do you have any other suggestions?

I doubt we'd allow the banner to be removed for a fee however we could consider just including a link at the bottom rather than the banner - I'm not sure. The whole idea of the iframe linking to an external source is to prevent people removing the copyright which is why we set it up that way.

I'm glad you like this idea and free service we offer. :)

Black_Apalachi
16-11-2008, 01:17 AM
If we can improve how this looks visually we are happy to do so - I'll look into improving the font. Do you have any other suggestions?

I doubt we'd allow the banner to be removed for a fee however we could consider just including a link at the bottom rather than the banner - I'm not sure. The whole idea of the iframe linking to an external source is to prevent people removing the copyright which is why we set it up that way.

Thanks. Yep I understand the reasoning. There already is a Habbox text link at the bottom also :P.

But yeah, if you could just make everything (information, updates, links and the actual values of course) Verdana size 8 it would be good :).

I'm not sure what Yonder was saying about "taking form of your current CSS"... does that mean it's meant to conform to the styling that's already in the page you add the RVs to?

The whole thing doesn't seem to be working at all atm :P. Oh and btw, in the code I think "frameboarder" should be "frameborder" ;).

Yonder
16-11-2008, 11:31 AM
What does that little code there do?

Well i did a test including that code on an external webpage and it included it without the iframe and used to font that i had in my stylesheet.

Black_Apalachi
16-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Well i did a test including that code on an external webpage and it included it without the iframe and used to font that i had in my stylesheet.

Ohhhh cool :D.

Am I right that the whole page isn't working now?.. Probably maintanence or something?

Yonder
16-11-2008, 11:52 PM
works fine for me just text some time to load.

Black_Apalachi
17-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Then I must have applied that code incorrectly.

<?

?>

Where abouts should it go and am I supposed to remove those question marks?

Shawnstra
17-11-2008, 03:28 AM

I think verdana 8px is a good font as most fansites use that. It'll be the best if you can offer a few fonts where people can choose from. Arial is also not bad :)

Invent
17-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Why not just code an actual PHP API that people can use to request specific values etc from Habbox? That'd be so much better...

Favourtism
17-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Why not just code an actual PHP API that people can use to request specific values etc from Habbox? That'd be so much better...
Your the programmer? ;)

Invent
17-11-2008, 12:38 PM
I only help out with the Forum side of the site I think, not exactly sure :P

AgnesIO
17-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Im glad you like it.

I didnt come up with the idea myself, but it is a really good idea!

As someone else said the iframe is not used, so copyright things could not be removed.

I think it should be sold for a monthly fee or something.

Black_Apalachi
17-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Your the programmer? ;)

Well said!! :P

I only help out with the Forum side of the site I think, not exactly sure :P

I'm sure you won't get fired for lending a helping hand :D. Would it be quite a big job anyway?

Im glad you like it.

I didnt come up with the idea myself, but it is a really good idea!

As someone else said the iframe is not used, so copyright things could not be removed.

I think it should be sold for a monthly fee or something.

Well that would be a bit extreme. I'd only do that if I had 100% control over how it looked and it had 0% adverts :P (there will no doubt be a Habbox link at the top of my topsites page anyway).

...Unless there's "free" VIP involved.. but then again, Sulake would count the RV page as an extra privellage or whatever they called it.

I'd be more prepared to pay a one-off fee to just get rid of the banner, the other text, maybe keep the link at the footer but have everything in the font style/colour/size etc I wanted.

I would still like to know how to use that echo tag if anyone could help :).

Yonder
17-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Then I must have applied that code incorrectly.

<?

?>

Where abouts should it go and am I supposed to remove those question marks?

Nope create a page e.g. rarevalues.php insert that code into the area of the page you want it save upload.

Hmm sounds good i'll look into it ive never used api but ive always wanted to and its a good reason to, i doubt i'll get far but we could call on you :D

Mr.OSH
17-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I'll most likely try to neaten up the script and change the font as you've requested! Thanks for the feedback!

If you're happy to develop something like that then be my guest. :D The reason we didn't go for that originally as this system took the complexity out of it but if you want to have a crack at it I see no reason why not!

Black_Apalachi
17-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Nope create a page e.g. rarevalues.php insert that code into the area of the page you want it save upload.

Oh, I don't actually have hosting or anything yet, I'm just designing everything and putting all the content together before I spend any money.

So I was trying to just put the code in a .html page which appears in an iframe in the content area (when its link is clicked). Would that not work then? (I know I'm being a complete noob here lol, sorry).

Yonder
18-11-2008, 11:17 PM
yes. Example:

Nav:---Link:---Target:
Home (index.html) Iframe
Rare Values (rares.php) Iframe
Contact us (contact.html) Iframe

When you click the link for Rare Values the iframe will load rares.php, a page you have made with the code below in (styled fonts etc)

<?

?>

Make sure you save it as a .php instead of a html when you upload your files you will be able to see the rare values in which ever style font you like.

Quick example hopefully you understand.

Black_Apalachi
19-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Right, I should probably be able to handle that ;). Thanks again +rep.

Mr.OSH
20-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Right, I should probably be able to handle that ;). Thanks again +rep.

:) I'm happy to know you'll be using our values. Thanks for using them and promoting Habbox!

Black_Apalachi
21-11-2008, 04:01 AM
:) I'm happy to know you'll be using our values. Thanks for using them and promoting Habbox!

No probs, that's the plan! :D (Actually that's also why I'd like to be able to write my own information at the top because I'd basically say the same thing but in a 3rd person perspective that isn't just Habbox's own words copied & pasted ;)).

Anyway, I havn't actually tried Yonder's latest tip because I've been busy with other areas but when I get around to it, if I'm still having trouble I won't be giving up... just shouting for help again :P.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!